• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Game Delayed Indefinitely for Xbox One [Up: Released]

jonabbey

Is this why Bish got into his bunker?

Seriously, how odd. Unless Microsoft were to announce that they were pulling the One, I just can't figure this.

Mask

Could this be why Bish retreated into the bunker?

Highly unlikely, and we don't even know the full details about this game yet, but maybe there's some more 3rd party
Xbone version cancellations coming?

Nah, probably not.

Eusis

Could this be why Bish retreated into the bunker?

Highly unlikely, and we don't even know the full details about this game yet, but maybe there's some more 3rd party
Xbone version cancellations coming?

Nah, probably not.
Is this something more recent? Because unless it was a rumor of XB1 versions of games being a huge pain to develop for in general I REALLY can't imagine one licensed game likely to have a lukewarm reception would be enough to warrant that kind of joke. Nevermind that this couldn't have been known for sure last year.

Sandfox

Hmm. I stand by my guess, though I imagine Activision will probe to see if they can easily fix whatever came up (since a bug MUST have come up at the last minute), if the game is received well and sells well, and if Microsoft will agree to a later date if that's a sticking point for them. If one of those doesn't pan out, yeah, I wouldn't be counting on seeing it.

I don't really see the point in releasing it after the hype for the movie dies down.

Eusis

I don't really see the point in releasing it after the hype for the movie dies down.
Yeah, it's probably more if either they can get it out within a month while hype may still be there or if the game's a surprise hit. Keeping options open, even if they seem to be dashing them on the site anyway.
Maybe Microsoft has announced a new resolution / framerate parity clause?
I'd wait on something else to validate this than a movie based game being rushed to meet said movie release.

Proponent

Banned
Ouch, so glad I haven't purchased the One yet. And this is coming from one of the biggest 360 fans of last gen, as well as a huge OG Xbox fan.

It's just been so hard to support the brand for quite sometime honestly. Too many bone headed decisions since .. what 2010?

Here's to hoping they can turn things around with the new leadership and stating this E3. I'm always multi console every gen anyway, but so far I am so pleased with my PS4 purchase.

This game itself looks ok, certainly something I will want to try.

Did not pass Xbox One strict cert to protect consumers. Nintendo and Sony are been moneyhatted to let it pass without blinking an eyelid. Microsoft are the true heroes here. Nintendo's Seal of Quality has truly died today

PROVE ME WRONG!

ekim

Is this why Bish got into his bunker?

Seriously, how odd. Unless Microsoft were to announce that they were pulling the One, I just can't figure this.

Wait wait wait... I just had to look what you mean with this bunker stuff.
Now also add the strange sales everywhere as if they had to make space for a new SKU - maybe MS isn't pulling the One but release a "new" One with better specs? All early adopters get their console replaced. :eek:

Yeah that's a bit of a stretch - I'm joking here.

Didn't the Vita version of the first game come out way after the other versions?

If the game bombs everywhere then it wouldn't surprise me if they cancelled it though. Would love to know the reason for the delay in the first place.

Eusis

Did not pass Xbox One strict cert to protect consumers. Nintendo and Sony are been moneyhatted to let it pass. Microsoft are the true heroes here. Nintendo's Seal of Quality has truly died today

PROVE ME WRONG!
The twist is that only the Xbox One version has a fatal bug that will kill your system. They're saving you from an issue only they had to deal with, while Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft on 360 were safe!

And it's not entirely improbable, we've had demo discs with memory card wiping bugs and a Gurren Lagann MMO beta that killed your Windows installation and thus got the game outright canned.

nampad

The Vita users welcome the XB1 users in the spiderless world ;)

And lol at Gamers Honest Truth for thinking it has anything to do with Sony Pictures. As if they have ever cared about what SCE does and actually helped them out with their IPs. Just imagine what could be if they pulled together...
For what its worth, the 360 version is still coming so it is not Kaz's dream of 'One Sony'.

My guess would be technical issues. We are still not far from the launch and other games have technical issues (resolution, framerate) and reports/rumors have the SDK still not on par with the PS4. If these issues get in the way of bigger games, why not for a cheap movie tie in? Wouldn't make sense to delay all the versions for a movie tie in where the release date is pretty much synchronized with the movie.

Proponent

Banned
Is this a sign that this is going to be a looong gen for Xbox? As in the gen can't end soon enough, so they can do things 'right' the next cycle.

GlamFM

Banned
Can´t wait for Microsofts E3.

Price-cut is a given at this point I think, but I have the feeling it wont be enough.

mclem

It's probably a temporary setback like Xbox certification.

Would be odd for a multiplatform release from a huge third party - when we developed multiplatform games, we'd develop to a subset of *all* requirements - in so far as that was possible - to ensure that the basic game matched every subtle nuance. I guess it's concievable that Microsoft had some extra One stipulation that didn't match any other platform (but having one that didn't match the 360 would be... odd).

Edit: Holy hell, that's a lot of hyphens.

Eusis

Pressure from Sony maybe? There is a Spiderman movie coming up too.
It's the game FOR the movie, and I gave their release dates earlier in the thread (though the game's date was listed in a picture posted in here.) It's entirely possible a last minute bug came up in the XB1 version, and delaying EVERY version for this one bug and missing the movie's release wasn't worth it, or even that it's not worth releasing the XB1 version if it misses said movie release.

Which could actually be Sony (Pictures) pressure afterall, in that thanks to them they're contractually obligated to release the game on that date and no later, so it's easiest just to cull problematic versions.

Mask

Is this something more recent? Because unless it was a rumor of XB1 versions of games being a huge pain to develop for in general I REALLY can't imagine one licensed game likely to have a lukewarm reception would be enough to warrant that kind of joke. Nevermind that this couldn't have been known for sure last year.

I'm referring to one of the mods on here, Bishoptl. In the "PS4 past 7 million sales" thread, he posted a picture of a bunker, and said he's going back in it.
The last time he said that, was when the Xbone version of CoD:Ghosts was revealed to be 720p, and there was a massive uproar.

TL:DR, Bish alluding to something causing more trouble tomorrow when the NPD sales for March are released. Nobody knows what it is, so, speculation ahoy!

stryke

Pressure from Sony maybe? There is a Spiderman movie coming up too.

idiOPYiGTCwWM.gif

Mikey Jr.

Sony pressuring Activision to delay the game could be one of the dumbest theories I've heard in a while.

IF Sony wanted to do something with the game, they would ask for extra content. Not fucking delay another platforms game.

I'm telling you. It probably ran like shit. Sub 30fps consistently.

Proponent

Banned
Can´t wait for Microsofts E3.

Price-cut is a given at this point I think, but I have the feeling it wont be enough.[/QUOTE

In my opinion, it's going to need a LARGE price cut. Like the Wii U, it's an 'exclusives only' machine in my book. Unfortunately unlike the former, they lack a stable of high quality exclusives both established and coming. Or a backlog of previous generation of titles (Wii).

Imho XBO needs to be priced at 399 with a pack in game like Forza, or 299 without kinect.

If I may rant a second longer, I honestly don't know what MS was planning or thinking coming into the gen.

Eusis

I'm referring to one of the mods on here, Bishoptl. In the "PS4 past 7 million sales" thread, he posted a picture of a bunker, and said he's going back in it.
The last time he said that, was when the Xbone version of CoD:Ghosts was revealed to be 720p, and there was a massive uproar.

TL:DR, Bish alluding to something causing more trouble tomorrow when the NPD sales for March are released. Nobody knows what it is, so, speculation ahoy!
Ah, so there was something new, I was thinking back around the that time. Yeah, I guess it could be this or just certain NPD data.
It was just a thought. Maybe they couldn't even get the game running at 720p. Who knows.
Putting aside the angle of policies against sub 720p, if resolution is your only problem you can patch higher in after the game's out, and I think something like that would've been seen from further off. No, a game out within two weeks suddenly getting delayed/possibly canned, that screams game breaking bug, system breaking at an extreme. At best something relatively innocuous failed Microsoft QA at the last second.

Top Bottom