• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The animation in Resident Evil 6 is nuts

BadWolf

***I know it's popular to hate on this game so please keep that out of here***

Went back to play some mercenaries this week and it is just insane how much unique melee and attack animation there is in the game.

Feast your eyes on these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQqdN3r6FU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYXXPc1zz6M

Gems like this are all over the place:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQqdN3r6FU&t=7m05s

Melee is unique based on characters, enemies, character and enemy weapons, direction of approach, elevation, environment, counters, level of stun inflicted and more. And then there are the elaborate attack and kill animations that the enemies have against you.

It’s pretty crazy to what lengths Capcom went with this, you constantly feel like you see something new. Just the other day I had Chris tombstone piledrive an enemy from the ceiling.

The character animation overall in this game is just fantastic, zombies animated better here than lead characters in many other games.

(sorry but I have no idea how to make gifs)

LTWood12

***I know it's popular to hate on this game so please keep that out of here***

Went back to play some mercenaries this week and it is just insane how much unique melee and attack animation there is in the game.

Feast your eyes on these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQqdN3r6FU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYXXPc1zz6M

Gems like this are all over the place:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQqdN3r6FU&t=7m05s

Melee is unique based on characters, enemies, character and enemy weapons, direction of approach, elevation, environment, counters, level of stun inflicted and more. And then there are the elaborate attack and kill animations that the enemies have against you.

It’s pretty crazy to what lengths Capcom went with this, you constantly feel like you see something new. Just the other day I had Chris tombstone piledrive an enemy from the ceiling.

The character animation overall in this game is just fantastic, zombies animated better here than lead characters in many other games.

While I found the controls annoying at first, once you get in the groove the game gives you so many movement options it's great. I really enjoyed RE6.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Is that... is that Naruto music? Is Resident Evil Narutoes now?

Jawmuncher

The melee is new REs best feature and I hope for mainline it remains. As you said op it's great to see all the different moves and work them into gameplay.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In some way it's impressive, yet it somehow feels pretty bad compared to what was accomplished in that sense in TLOU.

Bricky

3juaOAg.gif

It had to be posted

Gaz_RB

RE6 is such a fun game to play. It sort of slacks on some other levels such as pacing, but the game is simply awesome to play. I put over a hundred hours into mercenaries when it came out, and got more than a couple top 5 leaderboard spots. The game just allowed for a really high skill ceiling.

Damn now I wanna play it. Don't really wanna break out the ole 360 though.

Shredderi

Played this with a friend during halloween and I have to say that as many flaws as there are in the game, I really enjoyed the third person mechanics and options. Hopefully that's something they'll expand upon in the likely scenario of RE7 being more actiony like RE6.

Seyavesh

i have a gif for almost every single melee attack in the game but there's already a vid so whatever

i'll make my own compilation without all the ui stuff some day

the thing that just about every single vid and whatever is missing is actually the unique kills for the regenerator hands.
there are a ton
from the top of my head i've seen:
stuffed into a fryer (as seen above), stuffed into a microwave and microwaved, flushed down a toilet, stuffed into a containment jar, smashed against a laser field

and there's probably a shitton more i'm forgetting

I don't know why but I'm not feeling the camera in those videos, I understand to give the animation more oomph they zoom in in an instant and back out again, feels like shaky cam to me.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't know why but I'm not feeling the camera in those videos, I understand to give the animation more oomph they zoom in in an instant and back out again, feels like shaky cam to me.
Because its ridiculous:

You can barely distinguish what's going on for the first-half second or so as the camera warps to a super close FoV, leading to heavy tossing around of the camera.

If I was the sort to get nauseous easily, I imagine this would trigger it. It doesn't seem half as bad in the GIF as it does full-screen, either.

joe2187

Banned
YES! fucking Melee combat in RE6 is the best. people are really missing out on how much fun it is to play.

ibpAPj95ieF9QA.gif
ibsXYBrJLmZ79g.gif

I wish I could find a good gif of Jakes giant swing.

Sojgat

It's a good game, and the animation is indeed great.

I actually stopped listening to this week's Bombcast when Brad and Dan started bagging on it (Jeff wasn't there anyway).

Jawmuncher

Im still playing with the vanilla camera on all versions of the game. It was odd in the demo but I was fine with it when it came out.

I'm still learning new things about the combat in RE6 over a year after buying it.
I actually bought the game after seeing some of those crazy melee combat videos lol

Seyavesh

oh my god the vid totally has all the hand kills yesss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQqdN3r6FU#t=10m12s

YES! fucking Melee combat in RE6 is the best. people are really missing out on how much fun it is to play.

I wish I could find a good gif of Jakes giant swing.
hey those are some of my gifs that i was gonna post for my 'favs', neato
here's jake's giant swing:
jsGWqyC.gif

It would be awesome if you could post your faves, I'm sure a lot of people might not have the time to watch those long-ish vids :)
and some of my favs that i've giffed (i am apparently missing a lot more than i thought)
i'm gonna avoid posting the chris punch and wallslam gifs because those are my actual 2 favorites and i post them a lot:

hydra quickshot anim:
3w01BCy.gif

mothman counter + kill (2 parter):
wU7FUoR.gif

HtLp6ML.gif

grasshopper counter:
JZiGm2G.gif

eh, not gonna say the animations are bad, but it seems like the camera work sells the impact of the animations more than if the camera just did nothing.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
In some way it's impressive, yet it somehow feels pretty bad compared to what was accomplished in that sense in TLOU.

Even compared to average Capcom AAA fare it's nothing special. Whatever else you can say about Capcom's output in the last decade, their animation is usually near the top of the heap. RE6's character work doesn't stand out to me as particularly impressive, though it's hard for me to really evaluate it because the camera work (which is also a form of animation) is so rough.

Seyavesh

eh, not gonna say the animations are bad, but it seems like the camera work sells the impact of the animations more than if the camera just did nothing.

it totally does and i think understanding the camerawork being part of the selling is something that a lot of games seem to miss when doing their melee attack stuff.

like both of these animations (ok this is just an excuse to post them) would not be as great otherwise

TdrRCjK.gif

WLq3ktk.gif

TCKaos

People didn't realize that RE6 was a shit RE, but an amazing Die Hard game. Seriously, it's a pretty good game if you forget it's Resident Evil.

big_z

While I found the controls annoying at first, once you get in the groove the game gives you so many movement options it's great. I really enjoyed RE6.

same. the game doesn't explain anything to you but once you learn the controls you can do so much. the campaign isn't great, enjoyable with co-op but the mercenaries mode is fantastic.

I want RE to go back to proper horror like remake but I want to see the re6 controls make it into a game more fitting of its style.

Kssio_Aug

LOL it seems crazy indeed! So much different from Resident Evil 1, or even Resident Evil 5.

However, as a non Resident Evil old fan (besides enjoying some games of the franchise), it actually feels like a fun TPS to play. Since I dont care for the story anyway. May give it a try in Steam.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
it totally does and i think understanding the camerawork being part of the selling is something that a lot of games seem to miss when doing their melee attack stuff.

like both of these animations (ok this is just an excuse to post them) would not be as great otherwise

TdrRCjK.gif

WLq3ktk.gif

Totally agree that camerawork is crucial to creating a sense of physicality and impact. I think those examples in the pure white environment look great, but there are many more examples where the camera work is overly kinetic, and without a clean background it muddies up the action.

RSLYG

RE6 thread!

jif repost!

ivm7AkXsU6Dea.gif

i9ldnxn2yCF0L.gif

it8tdAxaZwCiX.gif

iRsuKzdloBqg.gif

I'll coup de grâce everyone in RE-team if they decide to dumb down the mechanic on the next RE.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Tons of Gifs incoming from previous threads, but yes, Resident Evil 6 did have saisfying reaction-based combat and animations.

PzHCmUo.gif
ku-xlarge.gif
ilLZtGPKyYamv.gif
i9WQT4wWThxAM.gif
iGL6YRgGRcssb.gif
ibjmnBJxL1SI1w.gif
ieEFtqmv5tJCy.gif
iildGZ7Y6FfYm.gif
tumblr_mgz62w3WTE1rl5gzno3_250.gif

tumblr_mb9a8bxO0L1rdagfgo1_500.gif

BadWolf

Thanks for the awesome gifs guys!

Does anyone by any chance have a gif for Leon's dual guns reload animation? It's so good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's really hard to follow what's going on with that camera. It's trying to emphasize impact but it ends up just obscuring everything around it.

Top Bottom