• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The assassination of Kara Lynne by the cowards at Limited Run Games

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This stood out to me, too. I'm sure I've read in passing that she isn't liked by the internet trans community, but from the few videos I watched a couple years back she seemed very grounded and realistic. She's transsexual and is well aware of that fact and doesn't get mad if people aren't into transsexuals. If anyone knows why she's considered transphobic I'd love to understand why, because on the face of it using her as evidence of transphobia doesn't do the argument any favours.

SF Kosmo SF Kosmo do you have the answers I'm looking for?
I'm not super tuned into that world but I think the issue with her is that she's a transmedicalist, which means that she thinks being trans is a real, biological thing that you are born with, rather than a choice.

That probably doesn't sound bad from the outside, and echoes the sort of "born this way" rhetoric we have long favored for discussing sexual preference, but it's an increasingly unpopular stance in the trans and genderqueer community because it inevitably leads to gatekeeping and discussions about who is "real" or "legitimate" trans, and for being exclusionary of non-binary or genderqueer people that aren't trans. These people get labeled "truscum". Blaire's kind of the poster child for this, because she does like to play up herself as the sort of "model trans" and shit on others.

Personally, I think a lot of the debate around transmedicalism (on both sides) is just toxic hyperventilating within extremely online segment of the trans community, and it's perfectly possible to believe that some people are born trans and other people can adjust their gender presentation out of choice and who gives a shit.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Even if Twitter likes are public I think they shouldn't be listed in user's profile for eternity.

You could legit accidentally like something 5 years ago and never notice it, then these lunatics get you fired when you gain some kind of visible position somewhere.
Don’t use twitter

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Definitely sounds like the type of temporary contract worker you'd love to employ.

Great fit for the team. Nothing like a newbie joining the company and bringing their drama to work.

You'd think people in life would treat work as something they love or something they hate, but either way go to work, make it smooth sailing, get paid to pay off bills and go home. There's enough drama in people's home life, who the hell would want to continue the battle at work with coworkers?

I guess some do. lol

I saw the witch hunt on era. It's ridiculous really. I feel sorry for her. I consider myself a tolerant person for right or for wrong. I have no issue whatsoever with the colour of your skin, beliefs, sexual orientation etc. But transgender I just can't get behind. The word transphobia is thrown around but even that isn't a proper definition of the word because phobia was designed to describe an irrational fear. Before modern audiences, appropriated it. I don't hate these people or have an irrational fear of them. I won't purposefully go out of my way to insult or upset them. I don't purposefully use the wrong pronoun for example, because I do still believe you don't need to be rude. But this is something you just don't get a choice in. This isn't create a character. I didn't miss the choice to pick gender during birth. I didn't get a say. Neither did my parents. I am who I am and I accept that. Even so, you can be a complete supporter and believer of anything and you only have to like one tweet, one thing aaaaaaaaand.... Your fired. It's bullshit. The modern world continually makes me sick. Really does. It's my way or you lose your job, get death threats, get socially attacked and ousted. Your human rights seem to render mine obsolete. I hope that person doesn't lose their job. But the more I see these kind of events and articles, the more I worry for my children's future.

Sacked. Let that sink in. Your life ruined for a 7 year old tweet and following people on twitter. Wtf.

slapped-abused.gif

Aranea

Oof that sucks to be getting fired for something said many years ago. Lesson to be learned is not to use Twitter or social media websites that can be used by the cancel culture. Or at the very least post those opinions on an account that doesn't identify the person.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
People have the right to like, follow or block whoever they want. This is irrelevant to their job.

Only a shit company would fire someone for this.

I would absolutely fire someone if they were representing my company and engaging with "problematic" actors. You say "people have the right. . ." - that extends to companies as well to determine who they associate with. It sucks, but at this point in time you have to be a fool to engage in personal and professional activities on the same account (and yes, associating your personal account with your professional activity by mentioning it in your Twitter BIO counts).

Kind reminder to never use twitter, or just delete tweets after a year.

Does Chaya (Libs Of TikTok) just repost content from TikTok, which they would have uploaded by themselves originally?

No, she doesn't. Just like Matt Drudge doesn't "just post links to news articles"; there is a healthy dose of (often wrong) editorializing on the part of LOTT. This "she's just using their own words against them" excuse people like to use is just flat out wrong (DefiantL's does this and you'll note no one has an issue with that account).

SF Kosmo

I'm neither of those things and I don't disagree with it. Now what?
I have some bad news for you, buddy. It turns out you are.

Like no offense, but how many trans people do you think exist and want to use the bathroom that matches their presentation? It would have to be at least a million in the United States alone, right?

Now how many people do you think pose as trans in order to assault people of the opposite sex in bathrooms? Do you think the number of documented cases of this is higher than a million?

If you answered yes, you're wrong, and you're wrong by about six orders of magnitude, which is moron territory by any measure. It's like thinking a smart car weighs more than the Empire State building. It's not just provably factually wrong, it's something only a very stupid person could believe.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm not super tuned into that world but I think the issue with her is that she's a transmedicalist, which means that she thinks being trans is a real, biological thing that you are born with, rather than a choice.

That probably doesn't sound bad from the outside, and echoes the sort of "born this way" rhetoric we have long favored for discussing sexual preference, but it's an increasingly unpopular stance in the trans and genderqueer community because it inevitably leads to gatekeeping and discussions about who is "real" or "legitimate" trans, and for being exclusionary of non-binary or genderqueer people that aren't trans. These people get labeled "truscum". Blaire's kind of the poster child for this, because she does like to play up herself as the sort of "model trans" and shit on others.

Personally, I think a lot of the debate around transmedicalism (on both sides) is just toxic hyperventilating within extremely online segment of the trans community, and it's perfectly possible to believe that some people are born trans and other people can adjust their gender presentation out of choice and who gives a shit.
I appreciate the input. I've been told about truscum/tucute before, so now I can see how that lines up. It certainly seems like a cause for debate if being trans is at all a choice. I don't know enough about it to comment much farther than that, but I always assumed it had to be something you're born with so choice seems like a big can of worms!
I would absolutely fire someone if they were representing my company and engaging with "problematic" actors. You say "people have the right. . ." - that extends to companies as well to determine who they associate with. It sucks, but at this point in time you have to be a fool to engage in personal and professional activities on the same account (and yes, associating your personal account with your professional activity by mentioning it in your Twitter BIO counts).
You're not technically wrong, and personally I wouldn't say anything online I wouldn't say in person. But I don't think that's really what matters here.

Out of the blue, someone decided to be a keyboard vigilante and gather up "evidence" to go against this random employee that no one knows at a company. A seven year old tweet and some follows, and that's it. No trial, no jury, just a PR issue because someone decided to go on the attack. LRG, on the face of it, seems to have fired the employee pretty fucking quickly which suggests there was no thought put into it whatsoever. No chance to make amends, just painted as a forever villain and sent on his way. It didn't need to be a black and white situation, there were more options than "Sack this person or the entire company is transphobic"

Whether or not you can seems almost irrelevant. Whether or not you should seems the more pertinent question.

StormCell

I have some bad news for you, buddy. It turns out you are.

Like no offense, but how many trans people do you think exist and want to use the bathroom that matches their presentation? It would have to be at least a million in the United States alone, right?

Now how many people do you think pose as trans in order to assault people of the opposite sex in bathrooms? Do you think the number of documented cases of this is higher than a million?

If you answered yes, you're wrong, and you're wrong by about six orders of magnitude, which is moron territory by any measure.

It's like thinking a smart car weighs more than the Empire State building. It's not just provably factually wrong, it's something only a very stupid person could believe.
That doesn't mean that women don't have a right to a restroom environment free of penises.

I'm all about accommodating folks. If they need a safe restroom, they can use the one I'm in. If they don't feel comfortable using the one I'm in, then I'm all for establishments rendering a restroom that is safe for everyone. Make the men's room all-inclusive or provide an option for all people.

As for the rest of your rationale, it's irrelevant. If you have a penis, don't go into the women's restroom unless you can do so without anyone realizing you're a dude. If someone realizes you're a dude and they're uncomfortable, they have the right to exit immediately and feel how t hey feel without repercussions. It's total nonsense to attack women for feeling threatened.

nush

Gold Member
Now how many people do you think pose as trans in order to assault people of the opposite sex in bathrooms?

It's not "opposite sex" bathrooms, it's the womens bathrooms, and 1 is too many already. But I'm sure you're comfortable enough with your stats to let your mother, sister, girlfriend take the risk. It's not the FtM trans that have a notable record of sex offenses at all, if any.

JayK47

I am amazed the Harry Potter game can even be made in the current environment. The developers probably need armed security and get constant death threats. Most would not think it is worth it. Maybe they can speak of the insanity during the making of video.

SF Kosmo

It's not "opposite sex" bathrooms, it's the womens bathrooms, and 1 is too many already.
Ok, follow up question.

Which number is larger: 1 or 1 million?

Take all the time you need.

But I'm sure you're comfortable enough with your stats to let your mother, sister, girlfriend take the risk. It's not the FtM trans that have a notable record of sex offenses at all, if any.
This is not what she said, she said there are more perverts than real trans. But if I can address this particular stupid.

1) There were never laws requiring anyone to use any particular bathroom. Men can go into the women's room and vice versa and this isn't illegal. No costumes required. Laws requiring people to use the bathroom of their birth sex were only introduced after the Obergefell decision ended gay marriage as a political wedge issue and the right needed a new dividing line to energize the homophobes in the base. It's made up bullshit.
2) Trans women are thousands of times more likely to be assaulted in the mens room than to assault anyone in the women's room. Why is 1 of them not too many?
3) It may surprise you to learn this, but sexual assault is illegal regardless of how a person identifies or what room it takes place in.

That doesn't mean that women don't have a right to a restroom environment free of penises.
Is that what the tweet said? Maybe read it first.

Switching to an adjacent point that you think is more defensible does not make the original point any less objectively false.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

You're Ok with the risk to women as long as it's not you. Good to know.

Don't do this bad faith arguing bullshit, man. I addressed your (bad) point separately in my last post, but it has nothing to do with her tweet which was about one number being higher than another. This is really simple.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Whether or not you can seems almost irrelevant. Whether or not you should seems the more pertinent question.

Yes, the tweets were from seven years or so ago. . .and seven years ago we were already in a #MeToo "cancel culture" environment, so it's not like this person didn't understand how the intersection of personal and professional activity can now be entwined for some people and the consequences of engaging in conversation in the "digital sphere."

. . .like I said, I would have much more sympathy (I absolutely empathize with her) if this was all done on a personal account without being a visible representative of a public company.

I'm gonna buy the game to piss off the SJW lunatics. I sincerely hope the game does well financially.

This is hilarious on so many levels.

Last edited:

Rykan

Understandable decision by LRG.

It's important to understand that this person was a Community Manager. I don't mean to offend or degrade anyone's job here, but Community Manager is incredibly simple and there's a lot of people that are good at it. It is basically an entry position into the Games Industry. That means that you're easily replaceable.

Community Management is a PR job. You're a spokesperson for the company. The dumbest mistake that she's made isn't just the comment itself. I have no opinion on whether I agree or disagree, but it's blatantly obvious that it is a controversial statement in todays political climate. The dumbest mistake is that she put her company in her bio. If you do that, you are speaking on behalf of the company and everything you say and have said can and will be associated with the company in question, regardless of whether you intent to or not. Why would you do that when you know that you've posted controversial stuff on there?

I have no idea why putting your profession along with your company in your bio even became the norm on twitter. Yeah, I've put my profession there as well, but there's no fucking way I would even think of putting my company name in there as well. Want to talk politics on social media? Keep your company out of it. Imagine shouting controversial political opinions in your work uniform or while wearing your company tag/logo. That's basically what she did.

LRG was right in not wanting to deal with any of this, and kicked her out.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Yes, the tweets were from seven years or so ago. . .and seven years ago we were already in a #MeToo "cancel culture" environment, so it's not like this person didn't understand how the intersection of personal and professional activity can now be entwined for some people and the consequences of engaging in conversation in the "digital sphere."

. . .like I said, I would have much more sympathy (I absolutely empathize with her) if this was all done on a personal account without being a visible representative of a public company.
I just looked her up, and she can't be past her mid 20s. Even if she was 18 at the time, that's 0 in adult years. How many of the 8 billion on this planet can go through life without saying some shit we wouldn't say again nearly a decade later? Especially if she essentially grew up online like a lot of kids do these days. A few years back people started talking about the inevitable future where people don't even remember saying the things that would eventually get them fired, and this is that prediction coming to fruition.

Maybe I'm just more forgiving than LRG.

AmuroChan

It's important to understand that this person was a Community Manager. I don't mean to offend or degrade anyone's job here, but Community Manager is incredibly simple and there's a lot of people that are good at it. It is basically an entry position into the Games Industry. That means that you're easily replaceable.

Community Management is a PR job. You're a spokesperson for the company. The dumbest mistake that she's made isn't just the comment itself. I have no opinion on whether I agree or disagree, but it's blatantly obvious that it is a controversial statement in todays political climate. The dumbest mistake is that she put her company in her bio. If you do that, you are speaking on behalf of the company and everything you say and have said can and will be associated with the company in question, regardless of whether you intent to or not. Why would you do that when you know that you've posted controversial stuff on there?

I have no idea why putting your profession along with your company in your bio even became the norm on twitter. Yeah, I've put my profession there as well, but there's no fucking way I would even think of putting my company name in there as well. Want to talk politics on social media? Keep your company out of it. Imagine shouting controversial political opinions in your work uniform or while wearing your company tag/logo. That's basically what she did.

Yes and no. Her problem was taking the wrong political views. Lots of people in the games industry, including CMs, made plenty of political statements during the BLM riots or after the Roe v Wade decision. Those were all perfectly fine as long as they were taking the "acceptable" position. With that said, she should have been smarter about this. If she's a conservative and she works in the games industry, she needs to have two accounts, one for professional use and one for private use that doesn't have her real name and employment information.

Rykan

Yes and no. Her problem was taking the wrong political views. Lots of people in the games industry, including CMs, made plenty of political statements during the BLM riots or after the Roe v Wade decision. Those were all perfectly fine as long as they were taking the "acceptable" position. With that said, she should have been smarter about this. If she's a conservative and she works in the games industry, she needs to have two accounts, one for professional use and one for private use that doesn't have her real name and employment information.
I agree. The fact is that Social Media (well outside of Facebook anyway) leans more into one direction is because the audience tends to be younger. You're correct in stating that not every political opinion is viewed, or judged, the same.

Firing an employee for making a tweet 7 years ago is far more controversial than employing someone that made a tweet 7 years ago. Why does one controversy always seem to be accommodated, and the other ignored? By your logic shouldn't the person who made the decision to fire her be fired for creating negative controversy about the company?

Top Bottom