• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best PS4 hard drive (IGN)

Ogawa-san

What's all this talk about storage space? How many games do you guys play simultaneously anyway? Just delete them when you're done. You can always reinstall them later.
I'd agree, but reinstalling means going through PSN's awesome speeds again.

TLoU:R is 45GB-ish. The thought of ever having to redownload it made me preemptively upgrade to 2TB.

joecanada

When it comes to digital games it's more than just reinstalling them. It's also about downloading tens of gigabytes of data. Nevermind updates for physical discs which are also a sizable download as well.

It's one thing with disc games being able to install right away, but with the increase of large patches that accompany disc installs on day one nowadays. It's not that cut and dry to simply delete what you're not playing and spending a considerable amount of time later to reinstall and download all of it's updates just to play it again.

Having large capacity HDD has it's conveniences.

yeah this is true, I doubt I'll ever upgrade the hard drive but I can usually download a game in 4 hours or less so it doesn't really matter to me. but if you had slower internet I could definitely see the benefits.

if only loading time gains were better then I'd jump in.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's time for Sony to allow external HDs like even Nintendo allows.

My plan all along has been to get the Seagate Backup Plus 2TB for the Spinpoint M9T, but with 3 big conferences this fall I'm hoping for an announcement of external drive support. If it doesn't happen, Boxing Day sales. ;)

16BitNova

I highly recommend the 1.5 TB TravelStar. It's 5400rpm (or whatever it's called). Great space, loading times are good. And it's the same speed 5400rpm as the stock. Which my worry with going faster is overheating or loudness. This one gives me no worries with that. Highly recommended man. I have a ton of games and still have like 800 gigs to go! I'm waiting on like a 3 TB to release within the next year hopefully. Or for Sony to allow external. For now this one is great. And it's Hitachi so the quality and life is great. If I remember correctly cost me $99.

shandy706

What's all this talk about storage space? How many games do you guys play simultaneously anyway? Just delete them when you're done. You can always reinstall them later.

Psshhhh

I want to play anything and everything at a moments notice.

I got that way being a PC gamer too though. I like my Steam games' list white, 0-9 and A-Z.

Jamix012

When can we expect 2TB SSD's to become somewhat reasonably priced ($180~ or less)? Is 2 years from now unreasonable? I haven't followed the hard drive market and want something that maxes out on storage space, longevity and speed.

kaiyo

also worth noting

maxresdefault.jpg
and posting without context

16BitNova

I like to have any game ready at whim when I want to play. Plus. I don't want to have to wait for the install, plus downloading all the updates again, and DLC (they are all grouped together). Some games updates are huge. I will continue updating to bigger space as long as possible or until Sony adds external support. Which is really needed and silly not to have.

mackattk

I highly recommend the 1.5 TB TravelStar. It's 5400rpm (or whatever it's called). Great space, loading times are good. And it's the same speed 5400rpm as the stock. Which my worry with going faster is overheating or loudness. This one gives me no worries with that. Highly recommended man. I have a ton of games and still have like 800 gigs to go! I'm waiting on like a 3 TB to release within the next year hopefully. Or for Sony to allow external. For now this one is great. And it's Hitachi so the quality and life is great. If I remember correctly cost me $99.

Trying to find this with little to no success.. Do you have any links? I couldn't find it on newegg or amazon.

I have that drive. Thankfully I use headphones when I game, because that thing is loud. Not typical for a HD I've ever used, but every 15 seconds or so it makes an audible beeping sound. It's weird. Seems fast enough though.

I have the st2000lm003. Never noticed anything about noise or beeps.

I have the Samsung SpinPoint 2TB as well. Mine also beeps, but mainly on the PS4 menu. It's not the beeps of death you'd expect of a hard drive about to fail, but more like soft chirps. I've read theories that it's the drive parking the head. Would make sense if it happens more on the PS4 menu than in games.

That said, previous to this I bought the same drive in one of those USB enclosures because it was cheaper. The model is the same and perhaps even the firmware, but some people claimed that the USB one is tuned to be more aggressive in parking the head to conserve power. When I took it out of the enclosure and put in my PS4, the thing chirped frequently during my games. It was so annoying I returned it and got the drive by itself (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20). Much better, though like I said it still softly chirps every now and again on the menu.

gundalf

Was this tested with the old release PS4 or new CUH-1200 PS4?
This is important to know, since the old has the Hard Disk internally running via USB and can't be compared to the new CUH-1200 native SATA connection.

Vashetti

Banned
Was this tested with the old release PS4 or new CUH-1200 PS4?
This is important to know, since the old has the Hard Disk internally running via USB and can't be compared to the new CUH-1200 native SATA connection.

Someone in the CUH-1200 thread said they were going to test their's with an SSD but they never actually did IIRC.

geordiemp

Do you have the 2TB Samsung???
If you do is there any chance you could replicate some of the tests just so I can see how the loading speeds compare?

We ahve 2 Ps4, both with 2 TB Samsungs.

Not done any speed measurements as I dont really notice or care, it is just as quick or better than the 500 GB ....

What I do care about is 2TB storage/

-Silver-

I would have expected much better load times from an SS. Yes, some people have said that PS4 uses SATA II which limits the speed of SSD's but they should still be noticeably faster than a HDD. Surprising to say the least.

geordiemp

I have the Samsung SpinPoint 2TB as well. Mine also beeps, but mainly on the PS4 menu. It's not the beeps of death you'd expect of a hard drive about to fail, but more like soft chirps. I've read theories that it's the drive parking the head. Would make sense if it happens more on the PS4 menu than in games.

That said, previous to this I bought the same drive in one of those USB enclosures because it was cheaper. The model is the same and perhaps even the firmware, but some people claimed that the USB one is tuned to be more aggressive in parking the head to conserve power. When I took it out of the enclosure and put in my PS4, the thing chirped frequently during my games. It was so annoying I returned it and got the drive by itself (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20). Much better, though like I said it still softly chirps every now and again on the menu.

We have 2 spinpoint 2 TB in 2 Ps4 for over a year now, neither of them beep.

Just checked again now, no beep or chirp noises.

Vashetti

Banned
I would have expected much better load times from an SS. Yes, some people have said that PS4 uses SATA II which limits the speed of SSD's but they should still be noticeably faster than a HDD. Surprising to say the least.

The OS and games are coded to run on 5400rpm drives.

I am amazed that the ssd offers such small gains. In a PC the difference is massive.

Why are the sshd's slower than a standard HD?

ethomaz

Banned
I recommend the Samsung Spinpoint M9T. It is a 9.5mm 2TB HDD that works in the PS4. It is the current largest capacity 9.5mm drive available. The PS4 drive cage itself doesn't support drives larger than 9.5mm so this is your best bet in terms of reasonable pricing and storage capacity.
The new PS4 model support any HDD size if I'm not wrong... even the 13.5mm.

Garlador

Holding out for an affordable but efficient 2TB. There's no way I won't fill even 2TB up with all the PS+ games and DLC that's getting pumped out year over year.

I'm looking to update my PS4 and saw this benchmark on IGN. They advice to buy Travelstar 7K1000 // intern // 1TB // 2.5" // SATA 6 Gb/s // 7.200 U/min // 32MB Cache

I'm really impressed with the speed of Travelstar (65 euro/dollar pricepoint). Does anyone has experience with the recommended harddrive?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08...edium=PS4&utm_content=3&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Update:

ql4b.png

Damn ... This just highlights the limits of the SATAII line connecting the HDD to the PS4

Noticable changes but not the dramatic performance shift you would desire

DeaviL

Banned
Lol, just bought a 1TB SSHD just to come in to this thread and see everyone agree it isn't enough.
It probably will be for me, we'll see.

mackattk

Unfortunately sold out at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDIU5IW/?tag=cla1hd-20
I bought mine at a Fry's electronics. But, it's just my luck the site is down right now for some reason. I would call any electronic stores in your area maybe? Micro center also had a link but it's not going through on my end.

Thanks.. Searching for 5k1500 and looking at the prices on the right hand side of the bar it looks like that drive is discontinued. Unfortunately I have literally no electronic stores in my area. Closest thing I have is a Best Buy.. No fry's or microcenter.

F4r0_Atak

Sup everyone!! I was wondering... if I wanted to upgrade my hard drive to a 1TB or 2TB (on my PS4), but still want to somehow "transfer" my P.T. on the new hard drive, what would be the safest and most used technique to do it?

Marlenus

Just looked this up, and you're correct. Oh well, guess I should go with 1TB 7200rpm and save some cash. Speed is more important to me than storage, and I think 1TB will be enough. 2TB is a luxury.

If the 2TB drive has the same number of platters speed will be the same if not in favour of the 2TB drive due to the platter density.

Occam

I am using a regular 2TB hdd. I'd rather wait a few seconds longer than have only half the space. 1TB is too little.

I really like my Seagate 1TB Hybrid drive that I slotted into my PS4. I can't see myself putting an SSD in there unless 1TB prices drop significantly. If I upgrade to a non-SSD drive it'll likely be a 2TB+ SSHD if they exist at that point and are of a reasonable price.

e90Mark

Yeah, careful with using the drive out of the STBX2000401.. Lasted me about 4 months before it stopped working. Also made those chirping noises constantly.

That external got replaced with the STEA2000400 and may be better.. The Backup Plus Slim model looks interesting too.

I'm 95% digital. Not an option. I don't like having to think about storage space either. 2 TB takes any annoyances out of it.

HeeHo

My big beef with this is that it also deletes your update data. Some of these games have 6-7 gb patches that I don't want to sit through again but would like to delete the application only.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood

That's interesting, I've never heard that before. I suppose it would make sense that the drives differ somewhat but I thought they were supposed to be identical. I'll have to read up more about it.

Edit: Ah, well that didn't take long. Sounds like it might be across all M9Ts with earlier firmware. The versions ending in ---3 and ---4 might solve the problem.

And wow, didn't know there was another portable drive/enclosure that had the M9T. This Silicon Power model might have a better quality model of the M9T. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KF4E83G/?tag=neogaf0e-20 -- At least, the case is cooler. ;) I have no idea how easily those drives can be removed from that case, or if it's possible at all. Looking that up now. (Edit #19: Someone on Amazon said the drive is removable and that the case works with another drive too.)

Final edit: Disassembly of the case and removal of the drive is even easier than with the Seagate Backup Plus! http://www.bjorn3d.com/2013/05/silicon-power-armor-a80-1tb-usb-3-0-portable-drive/

Product page: http://silicon-power.com/product/product_detail.php?main=19&sub=58&pro=132&currlang=utf8

Goes for $135 on Amazon.ca, $106 on Amazon.com.

This is the one I'm getting.

kaiyo

*Enterpise/Workstation workloads on an consumer hard drive.

Yep even though it does have it's points it really shouldn't be used as a be all and end all for hard drive failure rate used it's always used as sadly.

*at the time of the hdd flood so manufacturers were trying to ramp up output.
*also buying cheapest hdd they can get their hands on
*no mythology shown

I could definitely use more room, but I'll upgrade when I get something set aside for a 1TB SSD, and also when stuff I bought physical can be replaced with digital pretty cheap. That PT install is real collateral damage, though :(

Yeah, careful with using the drive out of the STBX2000401.. Lasted me about 4 months before it stopped working. Also made those chirping noises constantly.

That external got replaced with the STEA2000400 and may be better.. The Backup Plus Slim model looks interesting too.

This is the kind of post I want to see because I was going back between the two. Settled on 2000400 now.

EmSeta

Lots of people buy digital, which means dealing with PSN download speeds. And even if you own the disc version, you still need to deal with PSN's download speeds to get the numerous gigs worth of updates/patches that many games require.

Hmm that's true, PSN speeds are pretty bad. I guess I just rarely go back to old games.

paskowitz

PS5 better have NVME support. Instead of asking how long does this game take to load, we will be asking, did this game have any loading at all?

Vashetti

Banned
PS5 better have NVME support. Instead of asking how long does this game take to load, we will be asking, did this game have any loading at all?

Hopefully flash storage is cheap enough by then that we have SSDs by default in the consoles.

I'm not a tech expert or anything, but those 5400rpm HDDs must be a pretty major bottleneck in the consoles.

kyser73

The PS4 uses a Sata II controller for it's HDD so it really won't take advantage of SATA 6Gb/s it's basically limited in that regard. So SSD's will be limited as well due to the limited speed that Sata II has.

Of course going from the stock 500GB to a 1TB is a modest upgrade and since every PS4 game installs entirely to the HDD, capacity might more important speed.

I recommend the Samsung Spinpoint M9T. It is a 9.5mm 2TB HDD that works in the PS4. It is the current largest capacity 9.5mm drive available. The PS4 drive cage itself doesn't support drives larger than 9.5mm so this is your best bet in terms of reasonable pricing and storage capacity.

You can either buy the bare drive itself which costs more
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MI19WXK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or you can buy this and remove the HDD from it's enclosure - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRHTSK4/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and get the exact same thing for less

Also if you are careful enough, You can preserve the enclosure for the Slim Backup Plus and reuse the default 500GB PS4 drive as removable storage.

This is what I did. I'm currently using the old drive for media storage (reformatted to exFAT), but am considering dropping it into the ole phat3 when I crack the case and put thermal paste on etc. Should be enough to keep all my PS3 games on all the time.

If anyone is doing this, when you reformat the drive you will need to go into Device Manager to do it.

also worth noting

If Seagate drives are good enough for the LHC at CERN, they're good enough for me.

Pimpbaa

Lots of people buy digital, which means dealing with PSN download speeds. And even if you own the disc version, you still need to deal with PSN's download speeds to get the numerous gigs worth of updates/patches that many games require.

My PSN download speeds are no worse than my Steam download speeds. I actually get the worse download speeds on my XB1. This is over fibre op internet.

knitoe

Although SSDs are limited in the PS4 due to SATA2 300MB/s, generally, it's still 2x faster than any HDD. Most HDDs only run at ~150MB/s. And, SSDs have almost ZERO access times vs ~12ms for HDDS so PS4 should be more snappy.

Now the most important part, why SSDs barely makes a difference on the PS4. It's because the OS and games are optimized for the slow ass stock 5400RPM HDD. Loading, streaming and etc. are affect by it.

The PS4 uses a Sata II controller for it's HDD so it really won't take advantage of SATA 6Gb/s it's basically limited in that regard. So SSD's will be limited as well due to the limited speed that Sata II has.

Of course going from the stock 500GB to a 1TB is a modest upgrade and since every PS4 game installs entirely to the HDD, capacity might more important speed.

You can either buy the bare drive itself which costs more
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MI19WXK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or you can buy this and remove the HDD from it's enclosure - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRHTSK4/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and get the exact same thing for less

Also if you are careful enough, You can preserve the enclosure for the Slim Backup Plus and reuse the default 500GB PS4 drive as removable storage.

The Spinpoint M9T is $80 so it's $20 more then that Hitachi drive, but again it's also twice the capacity.

Exactly what I did. I removed it from the enclosure. Drive works great, I have tons of space. All is well.

Top Bottom