• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The BFG flops: Has Spielberg lost his blockbuster touch? (Variety)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anecdotal as hell, but when I saw it the kids in the theatre fucking loved it.
Too much, because they were also annoying as fuck.

It's just kids aren't going to see the TV spot or poster and ask their parents to see it.

Yeah, I mean if you actually got the kids in the theater, they would probably have a great time.

Sean C

Ah, Variety. So now the failure of one film is enough to get people wondering whether one of the most successful directors in history has lost his touch?

Ah, Variety. So now the failure of one film is enough to get people wondering whether one of the most successful directors in history has lost his touch?

I guess you could argue that his output during the 70's - 90's hasn't been match in recent years, but he's still putting out quality movies. Variety is just being overreacting with clickbait-y title. If Spielberg's next blockbusters become bombas THEN it'll be a concern.

I guess you could argue that his output during the 70's - 90's hasn't been match in recent years, but he has still been putting out quality movies. Variety is just being overreacting with clickbait-y title. If Spielberg's next blockbusters become bombas THEN it'll be a concern.

I feel like the author of the article had already decided on a narrative at some point and was waiting for BFG's numbers to come in to "prove" it, rather than actually reacting to BFG.

But yeah. If Ready Player One tanks, then it's definitely reasonable to at least propose this. And if Indy 5 tanks, then that's some extremely hard evidence.

MrMephistoX

The BFG is a movie that probably would have gone over far better in the 80s or 90s.
I think this kind of story just doesn't fly now-a-days, no matter how acclaimed it might be critically.
I fear that Pete's Dragon will suffer a similar fate.

I also feel like Disney kind of stacked the deck with too many movies this year: Alice, BFG and Pete's Dragon should have had more breathing room.

Jungle Book, Captain America and fucking Zootopia are still in the top 20 for Christ's sake!

Leynos

A shame that the film is doing so poorly as my daughter, and I both liked it. To be honest, I had no idea that Spielberg directed the film until I looked up the showtimes at the theater.

We also saw Finding Dory, but I found it boring, and too similar to the first film.

Releasing this so close to Dory made little sense. I'm not sure what Disney was thinking, but it's pretty funny to me how the finger is being pointed at everybody but them.

this is actually the more likely causal scenario. I've made a somewhat excessively long post on how we've moved away from 'dark' stories in kids movies in the BoxOffice thread though. I'm not going to repost it here, since I imagine both threads are read by the same people anyway.

EYEL1NER

The book scared the shit out of me when I read it as a child (The Witches too). I hope it goes away quickly so I can stop seeing commercials for it.

MrMephistoX

Disney's 2016 is so goddamn loaded that they don't fucking care

Alice got cannibalized by Jungle Book
BFG got cannibalized by Finding Dory

It's really fucking dumb to me: aside from Episode VIII and Thor what do they gave in 2017 really!? [edit]..,Oh yeah Guardians 2: you win. BFG was actually pretty good and probably would have done better if Disney delayed it till like October.

MrMephistoX

Is the BFG truly beloved? Never even heard of it.

It was one of my favorites in 4th grade...had my little mind blown when I realized dude also wrote " You Only Live Twice" the 007classic?

Um, a lot. Beauty and the Beast, Pirates 5, Cars 3, an unannounced live action fairytale film, Coco (Pixar), and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

They'll be fine (even if Pirates 5 massively underperforms).

You're totally right! It's insane...I just kinda feel like amidst the sure fire hits Pete's Dragon and BFG were sent to die.

It looked fine, but I felt like I saw too much of the giants by the time the actual film came out. The initial teaser with just a general sense of scale and mystery was super exciting for me - but the more I saw, the less I wanted to see more.

I know it won't, but I wonder if the performance of this will impact his pending Ready Player One adaptation at all. Very similar family-adventure vibe out of that one, combined with gratuitous 80s nostalgia.

A-V-B

Wait a second...

A new Spielberg film came out this weekend? WTF? His last film was Bridge of Spies, it was really really good. How did I not know there was a new Spielberg film?

It was one of my favorites in 4th grade...had my little mind blown when I realized dude also wrote " You Only Live Twice" the 007classic?

Holy fuck, I didn't know that. That's crazy lol. I also just learned that Ian Fleming wrote Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang (and that Roald Dahl also did that screenplay as well).

Metalmarc

Saw the Secret Life of Pets on the Weekend

The Trailer for the BFG came on, two girls of the target Audience range about 7-8 said to their mum how they would have nightmares if they saw that. Over and over until the trailer ended.

Also before the movie a short minions movie played and not a single person laughed or made a noise throughout it (apart from my 33yr old girlfriend go figure)

There was just dead silence from about 60-80 people with kids aged 4-12yrs old, so maybe the age of the minions is dead too, also similar reaction to the main movie Secret Life of Pets too, except a odd chuckle maybe twice from one kid, so maybe kids are just bored of these types of films or the films are that boring.

Pachinko

The marketing was a little bit anemic , it was basically "hey here's a movie called BFG, it's got a giant and uh.. Spielberg directed it with disney producing and ... uh well go see it I guess ? "

It had too much live action to be appealing to the usual kids film crowd and too much CG to appeal to adults and so... you get only Spielberg fans paying to see it which isn't that big of an audience despite the name recognition. People like his films when he makes sequels to things they've watched.

Wait a second...

A new Spielberg film came out this weekend? WTF? His last film was Bridge of Spies, it was really really good. How did I not know there was a new Spielberg film?

The advertising was kind of weak, so it's not crazy you missed it. Plus, all the marketing material put a stronger focus on it being "Disney's BFG", than it did being a Spielberg film. And no mention of screenplay writer Melissa Mathison at all. You would think "from the creative team behind E.T." would be prime marketing tagline material.

MrMephistoX

The Trailer for the BFG came on, two girls of the target Audience range about 7-8 said to their mum how they would have nightmares if they saw that. Over and over until the trailer ended.

Also before the movie a short minions movie played and not a single person laughed or made a noise throughout it (apart from my 33yr old girlfriend go figure)

There was just dead silence from about 60-80 people with kids aged 4-12yrs old, so maybe the age of the minions is dead too, also similar reaction to the main movie Secret Life of Pets too, except a odd chuckle maybe twice from one kid, so maybe kids are just bored of these types of films or the films are that boring.

I saw BFG with my daughter and I felt super self conscious (and OLD) because we were the only ones laughing at the Giant Speak like "Dumple Rumpus!" and "Human Beans".

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It's one of those movies that I'd love to watch on Netflix. It's really sad because Roald Dahl movies are among my favorites. Both The Fantastic Mr. Fox and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are masterpieces in my opinion. Would really like to see more but I'm not seeing it in the theater.

The advertising was kind of weak, so it's not crazy you missed it. Plus, all the marketing material put a stronger focus on it being "Disney's BFG", than it did being a Spielberg film. And no mention of screenplay writer Melissa Mathison at all. You would think "from the creative team behind E.T." would be prime marketing tagline material.

I saw some posters boasting about E.T, but I had no clue it was a Mathison script. I just assumed they went with a famous Speilberg film that would excite parents into bringing their kids.

SegaShack

Speilberg hasn't been amazing since Catch Me If You Can, and he is my favorite director. E.T. Is one of my favorite films and the fact that him, John Williams, and Melissa were back for this production make it all the more obvious that his prime is long over. His name hasn't had a huge draw on anything for a very long time now IMO.

It's like anything, you can't expect people to carry that same level of quality their whole life.

Where? Who? How? Where's this theater that has well-behaved people and kids who don't laugh loudly at the slightest lame excuse of a joke? #envy

I agree with the Minion crap thu, for a while now kids in general don't seem to care about them as much as adults for reasons beyond me.

Pepboy

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/steven-spielberg-bfg-box-office-flop-1201808161/

You guys think Spielberg's era is ending, especially due to comic book movies and their popularity, or is it more that not a lot of people wanted to see a movie about a creepy giant old man kidnapping a little girl? This isn't a parody thread, btw, I genuinely am wondering if Spielberg's era is winding up.

I went back and rewatched ET at some point. A few years ago I also rewatched close encounters of the third kind. Compared to modern films, they feel slow and lacking plot.

I think he did well in part because of special effects, but that field has changed a lot. I'm not saying his new movies are substantially worse, but rather that what we consider a blockbuster has changed into very flashy fare.

Every time I hear the title, I think about the BFG gun in DOOM. Which is funny given that I never found it when I played that game as a kid.

Velcro Fly

Do children still read Roald Dahl books? I read quite a few of them as a child BFG included so seeing this movie get made was kinda cool.

Ready Player One, regardless of GAF's opinion of the book, should be a much easier sell to audiences than BFG. It might not be a mega-hit, but if it's even remotely entertaining, it's going to be easy to market with the "Spielberg returns to his roots" angle, there's some money there.

For all the people hating on the shown footage, we're you not aware of this film before this version?

Maybe it's being from the UK but bfg is a really popular film (animated original) and book and everything I saw from the trailer looked really good in comparison. Bfg is once of those films families used to watch every Christmas and my mum has already asked me to take her to see it.

Just surprised at how many comments seem to be from people who have never heard of it.

For all the people hating on the shown footage, we're you not aware of this film before this version?

Maybe it's being from the UK but bfg is a really popular film (animated original) and book and everything I saw from the trailer looked really good in comparison. Bfg is once of those films families used to watch every Christmas and my mum has already asked me to take her to see it.

Just surprised at how many comments seem to be from people who have never heard of it.

I don't think I'd ever heard of the story or any of the movies before. It wasn't popular here in Canada, that I can remember.

I have nothing against it, but I don't feel like paying to see it. I'd rather go see something else I'm more interested in, then wait for this to hit The Movie Network.

DeathPeak

I was interested in seeing this. I've seen like 2 spots on TV. Saw the trailer before Dory two weeks ago. Somehow, I still didn't know it was out this weekend.

As someone from the UK who has read the book and seen the cosgrove animation, I still dislike the film footage.

This is what the giants are supposed to be:

VilLEiT.jpg

It's a bit sad that after Blake & Cosgrove's horrible and intimidating giants, they're now just big guys in the Spielberg film:

And they sound as bad as they look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1fZg0hhBX8

SegaShack

I went back and rewatched ET at some point. A few years ago I also rewatched close encounters of the third kind. Compared to modern films, they feel slow and lacking plot.

I think he did well in part because of special effects, but that field has changed a lot. I'm not saying his new movies are substantially worse, but rather that what we consider a blockbuster has changed into very flashy fare.
I'll agree with you about Close Encounters, but ET is fantastic every time to me. The emotion, interactions, music, acting, and pacing is so well done it amazes me.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Is the BFG truly beloved? Never even heard of it.

give the book a read, it's brilliant. (although, better to read it as a kid). Roald Dahl is quality all around though.

coleco

The title is a disaster for a movie. Even if it's the original one, I'm surprised they went with it. Also, very little promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom