• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The BFG flops: Has Spielberg lost his blockbuster touch? (Variety)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the book a million times as a kid, but the trailer did fucking nothing for me. These movies usually evoke some kind of nostalgic emotion for me, but I felt it was Meh and gave me no desire to see the movie. Not surprised it has flopped, and most people have no clue what the BFG even is.

I had no idea he directed it.

Just one more way the promotion of this movie was a complete failure. I mean, mistake number fuckin one: why the hell did you abriviate the title? Half the people who heard about it probably didnt even know what it was. Its absolutely nonsensical.

I'm really thinking that there are a lot of people on gaf who overestimate how many people assume bfg means big fucking gun.

I'm willing to bet there are more people who know of the dhal book compared to those who don't and also know of the weapon. Of course being a gaming forum this might be screwed but the thought that the general public would assume the same silly to me.

for real. it's hilarious people think the general public would think that.

iFirez

I want to see this movie, I love Dahl books, read farrrr too many as a kid. It's not a movie I want a 'Cinema Experience' of though, I usually only go to see big action films/Blockbusters at the cinema because I love the crowd reactions.

I'll pick up BFG on Blu-ray, as with most movies that came out this summer. I only went to see Civil War, Batman v Superman, 10 Cloverfield Lane and Deadpool at the cinema so far this year and am only planning 2 more for the rest of the year (Dr Strange and Rouge One).

Azriell

None of my kids have said a word about it. I've ignored it because at first glance it seemed pretty dumb and I don't like the CG: half of the movie looks like a cartoon. Also, I had no idea Spielberg directed this.

Just watched the trailer now to make sure it looks as bad as I thought. It actually doesn't, but my feelings about the CG are reinforced. I had no idea this was Disney, either. Also the name is terrible.

On paper, I would definitely think Ready Player One has a better chance of success BFG. The subject matter probably appeals to more people (kids and adults like video games, and anyone who has ever played an MMO or wanted VR has fantasized about this kind of thing, vs a kids movie about giants). I guess we'll see when that comes out if Spielberg still has it. Personally, Spielberg hadn't done much for me in a very long time, but I'm always up for another go.

Forkball

"Hey, wanna go see this new movie with a weirdly vague title about ugly CGI giants that look kinda British maybe? Like I think the movie takes place in Britain, it looks like something from there."

"Nah I'm ok."

No-one ever references the 1980s animated film starring David Jason. It's really good and IMO has held up really well.

As for this, it seems like a really bad idea opening a couple of weeks after a major Pixar sequel. Surprised Disney went ahead with that.

Osahi

Has this movie been released in Europe? i imagine it would do better here

In some countries yes, in others not yet. Here in Belgium it comes out the 20th, which means it also comes out in a holiday weekend (21st is national holiday, most people will take an extra break from work on friday the 22nd)

I know that in my circle a lot of people are looking forward to it, as in my generation (born end of the 80ies) Roald Dahl was in vogue for a time after the Matilda film came out. Can't judge if kids are looking forward to it. I guess they will more easily pursuade their parents to go see something like Secret Life of Pets, which seems to be more easily marketed with a fun ans snappy trailer then the dreamy ones of BFG.

Regarding the 'has Spielberg lost his touch' discussion. I don't know. His films still tend to be great. BFG flopping isn't the man loosing his touch, but maybe more that these kind of films are becoming harder to market. Also, I find it really strange that this is a summer release. When I saw the first trailer it screamed 'christmas release' to me. I think it might have worked a lot better released in november.

Saw it, my kids liked it, but it wasn't great.

One, the source material isn't great. Nostalgia be damned, it's a kinda random book. Not Dahl's best.

Second, its pacing is off. It spends a lot of time lingering on CGI shots like we're supposed to be impressed. I could seriously not care about the dream tree thing.

It's occasionally visually clever and the last act is pretty great, but it's mostly a soggy mess.

It also relies on Spielberg Schmaltz a lot, which works for some people but not for me.

Raptor

I dont know what the fuck is wrong with the world right now that something as safe and pure boring garbage earns a million and something like this flops.

:(

KooopaKid

Banned
The trailer and the giants look awful, like a video-game cutscene.
His last 6 movies are very by the numbers and lacks soul IMO :
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn
- War Horse
- Lincoln
- Bridge of Spies
- The BFG? (Haven't seen it yet)

Nothing ambitious or surprising.

OnPoint

Saw an extended preview for this before Independence Day (lol) where they basically beat it over your heads that Stephen Spielberg directed it and he's amazing and holy shit go see it. It was kind of embarrassing to be honest.

Raptor

The CGI takes a lot of getting used to and the BFG can't fucking talk for shit

Lol I meant a billion and I meant to put a example in that post, will leave it like that, looks funny.

But dont know why but I find it very compelling in trailers, like an old school fantasy film.

I had no idea he directed it.

Just one more way the promotion of this movie was a complete failure. I mean, mistake number fuckin one: why the hell did you abriviate the title? Half the people who heard about it probably didnt even know what it was. Its absolutely nonsensical.
They didn't abbreviate the title. The book is "the bfg"

Mr-Joker

Banned
Disclaimer I haven't seen the movie and just basing my judgment on the trailer footage.

Personally I feel that Dahl books are better read than watching as he really goes in depth with is dark side while still keeping it light.

I never got that feeling from the trailer plus it being GCI lost a lot of the charm.

The movie just looked terrible and felt way too dark for the source

Have you read Roald Dahl's books? They are suppose to be dark, hence why children love reading them.

leng jai

What's with all the outrage here over the title? It's the name of the book. Do you guys think most people are going to think of "Big Fucking Gun" when they see BFG?

Nerdkiller

Membeur
His last 6 movies are very by the numbers and lacks soul IMO
Sigh. Sometimes, I can't seem to get you people at all.

What's with all the outrage here over the title? It's the name of the book. Do you guys think most people are going to think of "Big Fucking Gun" when they see BFG?
I don't think general US audiences would have been able to get the abbreviation either way. Should have just called it The Big Friendly Giant over there.

carlsojo

Don't agree that "he's lost his touch after one bad movie" but holy shit BFG is probably the worst title for any movie or really anything that isn't a big fucking gun ever.

Metalmarc

Where? Who? How? Where's this theater that has well-behaved people and kids who don't laugh loudly at the slightest lame excuse of a joke? #envy

I agree with the Minion crap thu, for a while now kids in general don't seem to care about them as much as adults for reasons beyond me.

Wales uk, haha I know I was in shock too, even in that cinema many times with even smaller crowds, I have never experienced anything like it, it was on at 11:10am but still on a Saturday morning youd think they would be full of energy but nope.

Hmm maybe the kids stayed up and watched the Football the night before, it was a huge win,for our country, but still I doubt every kid stayed up past 10pm to watch it.

The trailer and the giants look awful, like a video-game cutscene.
His last 6 movies are very by the numbers and lacks soul IMO :
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn
- War Horse
- Lincoln
- Bridge of Spies
- The BFG? (Haven't seen it yet)

Nothing ambitious or surprising.

The last good movie was München in 2005. Although I liked The BFG.

It just looked like detatched, unappealing CG produced non-sense. It hovers on the same qausi-reality CG films like Mars Meets Moms, The Wild, and A Christmas Carol that have both a look and antiquated vibe that audiences detest.

After the appalling success of Jurassic World and the world-beating Episode VII, I guess it is a little weird that the genuine article can't make any goddamn money. He hasn't since Indy 4. It certainly doesn't help that he keeps alternating between ugly, inaccessible baby movies and dry-as-bones period pieces.

Chasing the 80's and 90's seems to be in vogue right now, so Indy 5 and RP1 should do fine. Doesn't matter whether or not the master and progenitor of that brand of filmmaking is directing.

Those dry as bones period pieces do make money though, more than enough to be successful. Hell, Lincoln made almost 300 mil worldwide, which is impressive for the kind of film it was.

The problem isn't Speilberg, it's the material they made the movie from. BFG should not have been adapted as a movie. Come on now.

They should have made it 100% animated too.

Saw the movie last night. I thought it was really good.

For anyone else who saw it, did the opening scene
where the Giant grabs the little girl remind you of something from dark souls? The cloaked figure sees he's been spotted and then comes after her. I don't know why but during that scene I thought, holy shit, Dark Souls

B-movies are not given $200-300 million budgets.

Could have sworn John Carter cost 250 million to make.

btw, looking at the trailer I was reminded of that movie with a polar bear on the cover. The last compas, or something? That had a similar 'there but not quite' look to it. The scale of the giant(s) seems more consistent than in other flicks though.

MG310

I never even heard of it until hearing about it doing poorly this weekend. Weird. I've seen tons of ads for the Tarzan movie that came out this weekend but none for this.

BFG probably should have been released around Christmas time instead. I don't know why they thought this would do well in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom