• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Caligula Effect (Vita) - Review Thread

Haven't seen anyone claim this, a few reviews trickling in so I thought I'd share them here:

Metacritic - 65/100

Dualshockers - 7/10

The Caligula Effect has some of the coolest systems ever found on the Vita. The game seems to push what the system is capable of and perhaps that was asking too much. With some frame rate drops during battles and unnecessarily confusing dungeons, the game might get passed up by the more casual RPG players. However in the end, the side stories, characters, and awesome soundtrack saved the game and made me want to see it through to till the end.

PlayStation Lifestyle - 8/10

A lot of video games attempt to say something, but rarely do they manage to leave a genuine impact by the time the credits begin to roll. In just 20 hours, The Caligula Effect tells an uplifting story that revolves around inner strength and coming face to face with one’s shortcomings. It may suffer from some annoying load times and a frame-rate that occasionally makes characters look as if they were wading through water, but that doesn’t take away from the touching story that Tadashi Satomi has come up with. Vita owners would do well to play Aquria’s best game to date, and remember that life is always worth the struggles.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5/5

When discussing The Caligula Effect, one cannot help but feel it will fall under the same umbrella as Resonance of Fate. It’s highly flawed and requires a bit of work to get the best out of it. Once acclimated, though, this is a game that will demand attention and affection from the player. It’s a strange, interesting tale that explores the nature of joy, sorrow, and choosing knowledge over bliss for those that want to think about it, or all of that can be ignored in favor of a silly anime-like story of friends overcoming long odds with superpowers. Either way, it’s a game that will probably gain more recognition and popularity as time goes on. Also, do not read page 24 of the game’s digital instruction manual.

Wccftech - 7/10

FuRyu's latest RPG might be their best work yet, with a combat system that can be incredibly satisfying to link together, but there is still something lacking in the parts that don't attempt to emulate Persona.

Gamingtrend - 6/10

The Caligula Effect offers a fascinating story inside of a huge virtual world. Filled with heavy concepts, writer Tadashi Satomi weaves a complex story about human suffering, artificial happiness, and the lengths people will go to find inner peace. While not nearly as developed or immersive as Persona 5, the game’s flashy graphics, star-studded soundtrack and solid story help to make up for what the game lacks in a depressingly shallow and unfulfilling social system, unclear objectives within dungeons and a rather tedious battle system.

Gamerevolution - 2/5

The Caligula Effect is full of promising ideas that are bogged down by poor execution and lackluster presentation. The game tries too hard to do too many things all at once, resulting in obvious compromise. There is a lot of content to experience, but it is all riddled with flaws, making it an unsuitable replacement for Vita fans disappointed in the lack of Persona 5.

Definitely intrigued by the game. How much is it and is it compatible with the PSTV? I really don't want a portable game and it definitely seems like the kind of game that'd end up on steam eventually.

FluxWaveZ

Gotta play more of the game before I write my own review. So far I'd say:

1. Mechanically and technically messy.
2. Intriguing premise; looking forward to see if it makes good.

Yes, it's PSTV compatible. Unsure on price at the moment.

$39.99 USD / €39.99 / £29.99

Pretty much no touch screen controls, so that's not a problem.

cj_iwakura

Echoing sentiments about it being a graphical mess. It's ambitious, but they reach too high. The combat attack preview system in particular is very cool. It lets you see how much damage an attack will do prior to confirmation.

I can't say much about the story yet, but it feels tragically generic so far.

Tohsaka

Are we getting an OT? I'm gonna buy the game and probably play it a bit today, but I'll likely put it on hold tomorrow until I finish Trails in the Sky the 3rd.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sadly as most Vita games it will struggle to get a good number of reviews and maybe even a Metacritic average.
A 7 and a 8 are encouraging and what i was expecting.

FluxWaveZ

Why is it called Caligula effect?

I0aB0vV.jpg

Top Bottom