• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fate of the Furious / Fast and Furious 8 *SPOILER THREAD*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a fuckin four way Faction Warfare kinda shit for F9

Han and Gisele are somehow alive, working with Cipher, want the Shaws dead because duh
Shaws want to take Cipher down since she Spectre'd their whole family
Crew wants to save Han/Gisele cause family
Hobbs and Mama Shaw go on a road trip to Waffle House
And we can get the CM Punk cameo you never knew you wanted.

I think was better than 7 and 4, but definitely left me pretty damn bored in the middle. The car chase stuff in NYC went on forever and I ended up dozing off from it (TWICE) and it was still going.

I'm at a point where I can't tell if they're intentionally making the writing and acting, in some areas, piss poor. There was a scene with Dom and Letty staring at each other with hard cuts and I was just laughing in my chair at how stupid it was.

The only enjoyable parts were Rock + Statham and Cipher.

Jeffrey

yeah jason statham will be around for a while. They were clearly grooming Brian to be a key 'cqc' fighter for the team, so now deckard will take that spot.

Seems like the breakdown will be:

- Johnson, Statham, Lette for the hand to hand stuff.
- tyrees will be the jokster forever.
- fbi dude... will he stick around? no clue. He really didn't do anything
- ludacrius and that chick with hack stuff. They really need to get around to explain wtf he did between 2f2f and 5 that made him a master hacker and engineer?

- What is vin diesel gonna do is the question... this movie leaves it open...

Kinda surprised, after what happen in the last few films... introducing a new hot female actor usually haves them in a bikini at some point with camera on the ass. But cypher was clothed.

Still easily the best villain yet.

And I love how they are embracing Hobbs as a 'super hero' now, gets 'stronger' every movie lol.

wonder what he's gonna do next film? Do the raiden mgs4 scene and stop a ship?

Ya they kinda cut down on the cheesecake in this one which was for the better, I think

7 is still hilarious for the bit where they have to break into an armored car to get Ramsey and their entire plan was 'eh, let Brian in a hoodie handle it'

Quick

Banned
F8 was dope. I don't know how else to put it. That was an entertaining 2 hours.

I haven't watched the FF series in a year, so my memory isn't fresh on the series, but this might be the movie with the highest stakes in the series, and I like how Hobbs makes a point to emphasize it ("Are you ready to save the world?"). I like the escalation from theft against truck drivers and Asian gangs + undercover cop story, to going against druglords, and now cyber terrorism on a global scale.

That being said, it's maybe the first time in the whole series that I took a moment to genuinely think about how a bunch of street racers ended up being part of a covert operation on a global scale. But really, fuck it, it's fun as hell.

Speaking of fun, the New York City part with the hacked cars was crazy + chasing down Dom. The wave of cars crashing onto the street on a turn was particularly insane.

Cipher was good, very villainy with the escape at the end lol. Hoping she actually comes back in the future. I particularly like the way she basically deconstructs Dom's views on family and his code, and points out how ridiculous it might be.

Roman's schtick wore a bit thin by the middle, but he keeps picking himself back up with shit like talking about shrinkage or him bouncing off Tej and Ramsey, and of course having his badass moment with the snowmobiles. Hobbs' schtick ("I will beat you like a Cherokee drum!") was played out, but it's great having Deckard to bounce off of.

Going back to thinking about how the series progressed from its roots, it's pretty great seeing old characters return and reutilized. Hobbs being an antagonist-turned ally by the end of Fast Five, and again with Deckard now. Owen showing up was cool as hell too. On that note, Elena kinda gets the short end of the deal being Dom's temporary girlfriend until Letty came back, but she and their son ended up being a huge part of F8 anyway. I read something about Sean from Tokyo Drift being part of the movie, but that's clearly wrong. Would be cool if he came back though.

Helen Mirren cameo was neat. Was expecting it to be for something sinister, but it ended up being pretty funny.

And on Deckard: Dude killed Han, and is now part of the family. This is definitely going to be a thing used in F9/F10. Writers can't/won't just sit on this. I can see them twist Han's death into Deckard actually saving him right before the car blows up in Tokyo Drift. Predictable, but I'll eat it up anyway.

Anyway, good movie, fun as hell.

Unrelated, but am I misremembering or imagining a scene from a tv spot or the trailers with Cipher talking about how she was there in Rio, London, LA? I don't remember that being in the movie.

Something along the lines of "I was there and you just didn't know it." I don't remember hearing her say it in the movie, but also vaguely remember it in a trailer or two.

Gin-Shiio

Was I the only one getting serious homoerotic vibes from Hobbs and Shaw? I was wondering when they'd kiss during and after their little flirt session in the toy store.

jett

D-Member
It's revealed that Elena has had Dom's baby, which Dom himself was unaware of. Theron's character kidnaps them both and blackmails Dom into working for her.

The kiss is a one-time thing that she does in front of Letty just to be a dick, basically. Dom isn't in to her at all, she just knows she can get away with it.

Elena? lol

This is dumb.

Shaw Brothers team-up had me happy with gleeeee

I wanted to see the two reunite and team-up and kick ass and figured it be one of the next ones since he wasnt on the cast list and i saw an recent interview with Evans where he was like "i'd love to come back to this series" but that sonuva bitch lied ha. The short time we got with their mum Helen Mirren was fun too, in my humble opinion they should get their own spinoff trilogy as a family of badass Brits. Also liked Tego and Santos from 4/5 making a brief cameo, that made my crowd pop loud too. I just really love this franchise's dense continuity and how connected it is and always bringing back characters and other references.

Elena dying made me lil sad :c That lady has had a rough life in this series. Fellow cop husband dies, but she found a new man in Dom for a little bit, but whoops, turns out his old flame is suddenly alive! Then she finds out she's pregnant with his child, decides to wait it out after his honeymoon to tell him about the child, but uh oh, she and the boy get kidnapped! And then she dies.

also, IT'S ZOMBIE TIME. That sequence was crazy awesome. Zombie cars y'all.

jadedm17

I get they're super heroes now, but how did Doms car go from 200 to 0 mph in no time into that plane?

The overall twists were a blast - and that open sequence fun - but the rest was full of too much melodrama and missed moments. I enjoyed it but it's definitely before 5,6,7 to me; I'd say middle of the pack.

Elena dying made me lil sad :c That lady has had a rough life in this series. Fellow cop husband dies, but she found a new man in Dom for a little bit, but whoops, turns out his old flame is suddenly alive! Then she finds out she's pregnant with his child, decides to wait it out after his honeymoon to tell him about the child, but uh oh, she and the boy get kidnapped! And then she dies.

It's half-assed tidying - now Dom doesn't need to worry about two ladies - that puts the film before the last few for me. Also it just wasn't as fun to me, but I half blame that on trailers showing even the ending. The last films may have done that but I wasn't as aware to be fair.

norm9

So they just gonna forgive Deckard for killing Han? lol

Yeah, it kept rubbing me the wrong way when they would get into their fun selves with one liners and stuff and Deckard is there too. I don't care they're going to address it a future movie, I needed it addressed in this one.

Scott Eastwood was weak, should have just called in homie Drift King over in Tokyo. Some good shit would have happened with drifing in the ice. Lil nobody was a weaker more clownish version of Roman, and we already have Roman.

Overall, about on par with the excess of 6 with less charisma because of the weaker characteruzations, with the exceptrion of the best portrayal by Vin (his best since 1 and 5). F Gary Gray did a pretty good job considering he had to up the ante on the stunts and action, but had to sacrifice live stunts versus cg.

That said, I'll be back in two years for the next one where Han is back.

There was a ton of trailers before this movie. Spiderman looks like shit,
but goddamn those five seconds of Marisa Tomei. Good lawd.

I loved it. Hobbs + Deckard were the highlight of the movie. These two are fantastic together.

I dislike how they treated Helena. She got shafted so hard in this series. I would have liked for her to survive and have Dom choose to be with her. I know Letty has been there from the beginning and she's a fan-favorite, but I like the idea of moving on from someone, and the two exes being on good terms. It should happen more often in movies. They could have had Letty get together with Hobbs.

We're all in agreement that Letty < Elena too right

absolutely

The person who directed this movie does not need to direct this series anymore.

agreed. The action scenes (the prison escape in particular) were not as well shot. Too many cuts and shaky cam.

UFO

Banned
Fun Fact:

In 1970 Chrysler produced 12,754 black Dodge Chargers. Of those, The Fast and Furious series has destroyed 17,809.

Edit: I wish at the end they had named the kid Paul. That would have been much more meaningful.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
This movie should've been called Fast and Furious: We Watch Dogs Now

Haha man what a 2 hours to kill on a Friday night. Weird my theatre was only 25% full at a 7:00pm showing.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just saw it and really enjoyed it. I agree about them being quick to forgive Deckard for killing Han. Also, Charlize Theron has really nice blue eyes.

bndadm

Much stronger than 7. I need more Helen Mirren. Im glad Tyrese finally had a badass moment. His being the butt of all the jokes was getting tiring.

Statham was a scene stealer though. Also I need to stop watching trailers because the surprises would be stronger if I was not anticipating them.

Also can someone explain how Owen Shaw is not a bad guy anymore? Or is only Deckard redeemed?

I guarantee you there's a draft of that script where the babies name is Paul. It's even a quasi-Italian-ish name, so it'd even work with Vin saying, "I decided to name him after an old family friend who's no longer with us..." deal.

Also, Han has to come back. The moment Deckard got a full face turn, including Hobbs dropping the info about him winning a Victoria Cross, there's going to be an after credits scene in F&F 9 (or the Hobbs/Statham spin off movie) where we actually see some of the Deckard Family goons pull an injured Han out of his car, then Deckard shooting the engine to make the car blow up.

Are there any badass Israeli-ish actors who could concievably be Gisele's uncle or brother that Han could be working with?

Also can someone explain how Owen Shaw is not a bad guy anymore? Or is only Deckard redeemed?

I think with the convo between Mum and Deckard about him, that he doesn't know the whole story and he's kind of a fuck up.

Ronin Ray

For F9 just show Deckard didn't kill Han and show Han has been by Gisele's hospital bed the whole time under the protection of mama Shaw .

What I really want is Cipher to bring in muscle, a team led by Donnie Yen .

Genryu

Banned
I get they're super heroes now, but how did Doms car go from 200 to 0 mph in no time into that plane?

The car's inertia keeps it going at the same speed relative to the ground.
See: Mythbusters Knight Rider

Also, damn I need to see Helen Mirren more often, was definitely better than 7.

Brakke

Banned
Definitely bloated but I was generally pleased.

But man a ton of it was working right. Most of Tyrese's jokes actually landed instead of just being eye-roll moments, Cuban butts were fine and that race was fun, it was smart to couch the rehabilitation of Deckard Shaw in family. Statham and Rock's chemistry was sizzling. Cipher was a bit overwrought but Charlize made it work. They did Elena dirty but I do appreciate their willingness to kill characters and keep the stakes up.

The Rock - Vin beef was really obvious tho. Vin's gunna shake the hand of the dude that killed Han at the end but not even acknowledge The Rock, who he betrayed and almost murdered to kick off the show? The Rock's the one person on that roof more than any who's gunna feel you on making sacrifices for your kid, them not having a moment bonding over fatherhood was really conspicuous.

Kurt Russell is a fucken champ. Just being casually cool and sunglasses-y at every turn. Unstoppable. His lil sidekicked worked better than his last one did, too.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I liked it a lot :) Sad about
Elena
, and I feel it was a bit underplayed and ignored in the end, but everything else was ace. If we'll eventually get F9 with Diesel, Johnson and Statham my god will that be great.

I love what this series has become, there's really not much in the action movie genre coming close to this wild mix of crazy action, cars, great actors, espionage and twist shit and a nonsense but absolutely engaging backstory over 8 movies.

To think I ignored all of this for years 'cause I thought it'd be a silly movie series about racing lol

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What happened between Shaw family and Cypher? I didn't catch that

Pity Tego and Santos only have a 5 sec cameo.

I feel like they botched this one; I think I actually enjoyed XXX 3 more. Fast 8 felt like some kind of off-brand pretender that didn't really get it. Bringing Elena back as bait and then just killing her off in cold blood isn't what these movies are about; way too mean-spirited. This is the series that rewrote its own timeline because they regretted killing off Han in Tokyo Drift, it's so lighthearted it doesn't even kill off its villains any more. Shooting the mother of Dom's child in her fucking head is way too far.

I hated seeing Scott Eastwood as part of the team, like they needed to fill a white-guy-shaped hole on the main crew after Paul Walker died or something. He was a complete nothing character; I saw his car at the end of the submarine chase and I couldn't remember what he even did in that entire setpiece. They could have given Ramsay something to do other than fail at typing instead, or just given us more time with Kurt Russell. Hell, maybe have Charlize do anything other than stand around some computers with a steely gaze. I don't want to see Eastwood in Fast 9.

Lastly, I don't come to these movies for good writing, but I found some of the shit here genuinely insufferable. The Rock forcing the G-Man guy to yell about his daughter's soccer team at the start was some sub-Michael-Bay level trash; I felt bad for The Rock having to say those lines (loved his haka, though). Some of the in-car banter was just the most generic rubbish, too. "THAT'S NOT GOOD. OH THAT'S NOT GOOD!" You can do better than this, writers of Fast & Furious movies. Not much better, but better than this.

Action was good, though. I love that they aren't pretending the characters aren't superheroes any more. The Rock's throwing humans like sacks of potatoes and shrugging off rubber bullets, Statham's got some Matrix kung fu powers and Dom can perform open heart surgery with a car. It's awesome. Unfortunately everything between the action scenes was just a bit crap. Definitely a lower-tier F&F movie for me, maybe on par with 4. They need to stop messing around and bring Han and Giselle back next time.

So stupid but so fun.

8.75/10

Loved it. The rock is like a fucking comic character, tearing up concrete benches and punching metal panels but it was all hilariously OTT. Some hokey cgi at the end with that fake ass NYC. It's funny and entertaining as hell and statham and the return of his brother at the end was fun (if he was a bit underutilised). Fun little role with Helen Mirren. How Marlowe (Uncharted3) is she.

lowlight? Clint Eastwood's son isn't ever gonna be a star. WOODEN.

also don't remember Elena at all. She showed up with the baby and we were like "nope, don't know who you are".

Rymuth

Lot (and I do mean a lot) of posters here mad about making Statham a hero when he was one that killed Han.

Didn't the franchise writer hint that Han might come back for Fast 9?

Obviously they were making Shaw a lot more palatable to the audience (likes kids, values family, kept his word) so I am almost CERTAIN F9 will have the reveal that Shaw faked Han's death or something, thus completing his heel-face turn.

Lot (and I do mean a lot) of posters here mad about making Statham a hero when he was one that killed Han.

Didn't the franchise writer hint that Han might come back for Fast 9?

Obviously they were making Shaw a lot more palatable to the audience (likes kids, values family, kept his word) so I am almost CERTAIN F9 will have the reveal that Shaw faked Han's death or something, thus completing his heel-face turn.

well, statham is a highly award english hero in this one (per his convo with TRock) ... so possibly it could be true.

They said Fate would be the start of a new trilogy
So naturally F9 will be the dark middle chapter with Winter Soldier/Cyborg Han killing Roman

At this point I feel like they need to address Giselle's death if only because it's no longer consistent with the series' internal logic. Like, she fell onto the road while travelling at high speed; that shit's nothing in these movies. Dom jumped out of moving cars like five times in this one alone. At the start he does it in a sleeveless shirt and the asphalt doesn't even leave a scratch on him, and Giselle was wearing a jacket when she fell.

Hell, Owen Shaw 'died' the exact same way and he's back on his feet. This Giselle shit won't fly.

ultron87

This actually should work out just fine! Mythbusters did this with a car and semi truck, Knight Rider style, and it worked out without the car launching into the front of the truck.

https://youtu.be/dYlstdCWzCY

The car won't speed up much relative to the plane, because inertia wants it to stay at about the same speed.

Brakke

Banned
What happened between Shaw family and Cypher? I didn't catch that

Pity Tego and Santos only have a 5 sec cameo.

Cipher tried to hire Deckard for the job that Owen did in Fast 6. Deckard turned her down because he's basically a good guy. Owen took it because he's a fuckup. Deckard's goal in 7 was to avenge his bro by bopping Dom; presumably, he would've gone after Cipher next after settling things with Dom. Momma Shaw was beefin' 'cuz Cipher lead Owen down a bad road and kicked off the events that put both her sons into jail.

JohnDrake

Does anyone even remember Han or Giselle anymore? :p

I also liked how the motivations of Charlize's character are never explained. She just wants to start a war. Cool, I guess.

Both Mama and Owen did waaay more in their bits than I thought they would've

I figured Owen would show up in the hospital again, but that's it, and lol at Mama just scolding Deckard for not getting his shit together

I also liked how the motivations of Charlize's character are never explained. She just wants to start a war. Cool, I guess.
No, she doesn't. She wants to hold the superpowers of the world accountable by having a sub with nukes they can't track.

Her character is so undercooked I was surprised they bothered having her escape at the end. It's not like Statham, or The Rock when they first introduced him, where they're such fun presences on screen that you're hyped to know they'll be back in a later movie; Charlize is such a non-entity here I wouldn't even care about her coming back.

I guess if she learns to drive a car and do kung fu I'd be more interested, but I don't need another hacker villain.

Just when I thought movies were getting a little smart with how they portray hacking, Ramsey and Cipher are having a hacker battle over who can control the submarine. lol

Gin-Shiio

Spoiler for Fast 9:
Cipher wasn't actually Cipher. The truth is, Elena who was shot by Cipher's henchman was not really shot, but simply faked her own death because she is the real Cipher that is behind everything. The Cipher we think is Cipher but actually isn't,
is in truth a highly-decorated German spy, who has had her whole family kidnapped by Elena aka Cipher. And when her family is still threatened even in Fast 9, she does what anyone would do - seek help of the best of all families.
Also Elena works with Han who seeks revenge for his death and the betrayal of his family, only it turns out that Han is actually Han's never-mentioned twin brother, grieving over his brother's death. Also, Brian Junior is actually a spy for Elena aka Cipher.

Brakke

Banned
It was pretty impressive how the movie managed to have the Heroes fight Germans and then Russians as some twentieth century American heroism reinactment.

Speevy

Banned
It was pretty impressive how the movie managed to have the Heroes fight Germans and then Russians as some twentieth century American heroism reinactment.

All I remember was a bunch of cars falling out of buildings and a submarine chasing people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom