• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first public E3 looks like absolute INSANITY

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
PAX isn't a shining beacon of proper con planning though. Obvious that this year they've failed to completely sell out almost a week after putting tickets up. People are tired of their shit.
Oh wow, tickets are still available...that's crazy.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Let's do a math exercise!!!

Last year's attendance was 50,300. Now, this is an industry show, so obviously all 50k people are not going to be in there on the show floor; they're gonna be in meeting rooms, hotel conference rooms, etc etc. So let's be REALLY generous and say that at max, maybe 2/3rds of those people will be on the actual show floor on day one, so that's about 33,000 people on the floor (this sounds high). E3 has always been pretty crammed.

So they've added 15,000 tickets, and I'm pretty sure most of those people are gonna be there on day one, let's guesstimate 14,000. So now you've got 47,000 people in there at once.

If you wanna poke holes in my math, please do, but I get the nagging sensation there's +50k souls in there at the mo and it's basically at double what it usually is.

Nokterian

Haven't they been to Gamescom? I mean i have been there twice it is even more insane than E3 when i spoke to developers they said E3 is nothing compared to gamescom.

The North Hall wasn't terrible, the lines were definitely a lot longer than normal but still manageable.

South Hall is absolute pandemonium, absolutely no personal space.

This reeks of a cash grab.

"How many tickets should we sell?"
"Enough so we can fill the venue with bodies until it reaches gridlock"
"Wouldn't that cause a terrible user experience"
"Who cares? We're rich!"

I'm sure it's hard for them to ignore the numbers that TGS and gamescom pull since they're public events. Last year TGS had 271k people and gamescom had 345k. In 2015 E3 had its largest attendance in nearly a decade with over 50k, and that dropped last year. A big difference though is that both of those shows have days sectioned off for business and media before they open to the public.

zewone

First E3 and last. Waited all morning for several hours just to play Destiny 2. There's too many people and lines to play anything.

I left early and not going back.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just came back from walking the show floor and it was an absolute nightmare. Just an ocean of people and almost impossible to walk through many areas. Combine that with the fact that like 1 in 100 people were doing live streaming bullshit with their mobile phones and it was a really terrible experience just trying to navigate through.

Last year did feel a bit empty compared to previous years, but this is just nuts.

I'd rather die

Honestly this looks awful, Should have been Industry only and had some separate halls or days for the public outside of the actual "E3"

It's only really the smaller press who suffer here and that really stinks.

As a side note is that even legal. Shouldn't the fire department shut it down for safety reasons

starmud

this isnt hard to fix...

have press lines, even natsume has a press only area... i'd love to know who told press to get in the general line lol

the only thing the consumer pass holders can do is walk the show floor. come up with consumer friendly areas or events in different areas. if your going to charge and expand pass traffic, they need to invest into what the added traffic can do to space the crowds out.

lastly, you could have a press block of time or open the showfloor a day early for press, i can see some publishers not wanting to take part but it could help for others... also, isnt this why you can rent meeting rooms?

after so many in the press called the show dead and how they were all done in a day, i dont have a ton of sympathy, many of them said the event would have to change. that said its youtubers/smaller outlets are gonna feel the pain.

gimmmick

Time to move this event to Vegas. (Las Vegas Convention Center)

The city just approved a 1.4 billion upgrade for the hall.

mishakoz

You should have handed them your business card lol.

Naw man, that's definitely a case of an overbearing client.

"We want it to look exactly like this! A city that has a day night cycle and you can see it all from anywhere in the booth. People traffic be damned!"

Aaron

The publishers aren't going to be willing to invest even more money into their E3 booths. Many have been downsizing or pulling out all together. Even more than ever, E3 feels like an event that's lost its purpose, and flailing around for a new one.

Swiggins

San Diego is also looking to double down on it's convention center in hopes of retaining Comic-Con. Maybe E3 will move there?

(As a San Diego native, this would bring me great joy)

Nokterian

E3 "We must fill the halls!"

Gamescom "hold all my beers"

Like this is every single year there. Lines can lead up to 7 hours of waiting to play a game if you are from the press you are more lucky and there is business area.

20160819_123629y0sdz.jpg

Also this is just a long hall those other halls are gigantic and yet it is filled to so many people it is even more insane than you think when you are there.

Moofers

Looks like regular PAX Prime/West crowds.

Yep. I skipped PAX West last year after having kind of a bad experience in 2015. The main hall had every line constantly capped. Every time my friend and I came back around they were still capped and an Enforcer was hanging around trying to make sure people didn't linger around waiting for the line to open again. It was like this at every damn booth. It resulted in us basically doing laps through the main hall for like 2 hours unable to get into any damn lines before we just said fuck it and went to another floor.

I've gone to 5 different PAX West/Primes now and it gets more and more commercial and kind of gross each time. There's still fun to be had and I still might go back sometime, but I want to hear about steps being taken to improve the show. I'm not going back to capped lines that take 3 hours to get through once you're in. Granted there are other parts of the show to see, but the main hall was always sort of like "E3 for the rest of us" and now its basically untenable.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I was by the Ubisoft booth, and within the span of 5 minues, no less than 4 people who walked by laughing uncontrollably at the title for that South Park game.

I hope y'all are happy.

Press like Giantbomb have been there since Saturday. They should have had press/"influencer" days during the weekend or yesterday. I guess they won't do that cause it would mean spending more money

seriously? Who willingly spends that much money to stand in a line for a couple of hours to play a demo for 10 minutes

I went to GamesCon when the Wii was released, never again. Cons suck

Yeah it seems silly. Although there was a time in my life where I would have done that

Man, I hate going to conventions even when they're fairly well run (like PAX and PSX generally are). I wasn't planning on going to E3 this year, but I have a meeting scheduled for Thursday. Seeing this thread and now I'm really dreading it.

convo

Gamescom has a press day though IIRC?

That's a weird oversight indeed.They could have at least looked into it a little bit? Sure some non-press gets in on press days anyway during Gamescom somehow but they didn't even consider flood-gates here if press is gonna miss out on meetings.

Not sure why they ever thought this was a good idea. If anything, extend it by a day and make only that day public, or make the last day or two public like TGS.

IMO E3 is dying and they're throwing stuff at the wall in the hope they can prolong it.

Swiggins

seriously? Who willingly spends that much money to stand in a line for a couple of hours to play a demo for 10 minutes

I went to GamesCon when the Wii was released, never again. Cons suck

I pay about that every year for Comic Con, but there's a LOT more to do than just wait in line and play Demo's.

I can't believe people are willingly waiting in line for hours to play a game for a little bit.

Even if they were giving out a free finished copy of Mario I wouldn't wait in line for 4 hours.

So many salty people here bitter that their job sucks and that other people work in the games press.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I didn't think it was going to be this much of a mess. I'm going to the show tomorrow for work, but it's sounding like it's going to be kind of unpleasant.

Mik2121

Sounds and looks terrible. And here I thought GDC was packed the two years I've been there (this year and 2 years ago)...

Swiggins

But with Comic con, the lines are somewhat organized with dividers. I don't see any lines here, but a crowded mess of bodies

If there's one thing Comic Con deserves to be praised on, it's that they're REALLY good at organizing and keeping things in lines.

muteant

the microsoft and nintendo spaces were a claustrophobic's nightmare. lines to play anything at the latter were stupidly long. if they don't scale back the number of badges at next year's E3, it's not going to be a proper industry show for much longer, i reckon.

If I could go to the conferences, I would.

But like someone above said, even if they paid me I wouldn't go to the show floor.

Ridiculous really. It hurts the smaller journalists from other countries that have paid a lot of money to get there. It doesn't hurt IGN or gamespot as the developers go to them.

emb

If going forward with the open to the public thing, seems like it would be a better idea to add Monday/Friday for show floor and designate at least one press day.

Sounds like being there this year is mostly awful for everyone.

FTF

Soooo glad my friends and I couldn't work out going to this. Flying cross country to just be lost and stuck in this abyss would have been a nightmare and total waste of money it seems.

Top Bottom