• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flame in the Flood has its best debut on Switch - "Smashed expectations"

Not sure why we need “concrete data”.
We don't need it. The people insisting we do should know fully well that neither devs nor Nintendo are going to share concrete data for the lions share of digital games released on the platform.

The next best thing would be statements from developers where they say good things like with this but that doesn't allow for infinite goalpost moving so that's handedly ignored.

ohlawd

these guys seem happy their game sold well. they don't need us to armchair analyze this shit. "hurr the lack of competition" they had numbers to meet and they were met with the quickness. and peeps are arguing like they were part of the team, like they had a stake in this shit lol "nah fam I was thinking it should have sold this much" bitch, please.

this is one of those threads where it's perfectly justifiable to have a circlejerk. there's nothing else to say anyway. they prolly reading this thread. tell them good work and good luck with their next game. dassit

dock

I really love the art of this game, but I can't deal with survival sims.

Glad to hear they're succeeding. I hope Nintendo start to curate collections of especially high quality releases like this.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
these guys seem happy their game sold well. they don't need us to armchair analyze this shit. "hurr the lack of competition" they had numbers to meet and they were met with the quickness. and peeps are arguing like they were part of the team, like they had a stake in this shit lol "nah fam I was thinking it should have sold this much" bitch, please.

this is one of those threads where it's perfectly justifiable to have a circlejerk. there's nothing else to say anyway. they prolly reading this thread. tell them good work and good luck with their next game. dassit

I've talked with them, and I can confirm that they are VERY HAPPY about their sales on Switch. I cite: "Sales have been great so far".
Ditto.

teeny

If anything, I think this (and other cases like it) is why Nintendo have held off from a Virtual Console. They seem to have successfully cultivated a good environment on their eShop and I'm glad it is paying off for them and the developers.

I'm going to pick this up but I'm currently playing Stardew Valley and have yet to finish Overcooked and Snipperclips (and that doesn't count retail games I've yet to finish and the impending Mario release).

I hope the momentum continues on the eShop front and I also hope the retail releases pick up a touch more next year. The Switch audience is clearly keen and receptive in a way that isn't traditionally associated with Nintendo which already means it will have a slightly different "feel" to it's library than past platforms, imo.

Great idea. If the devs are reading the thread then congrats on the sales, hope you guys keep doing well and good luck on whatever comes next!

jariw

IMO, the important thing here is that the developer (and publisher) seem to get their port investments returned, which would mean they are willing to put more indie games on the Switch in the future.

And that investment required could mean whatever in terms of sold copies, but it's pretty clear that compared to the Wii U and other earlier Nintendo platforms, the costs of a port is much more inexpensive on the Switch. But OTOH, the costs of a port to the Switch will always be higher than putting a game on Steam.

Fiendcode

You think because those have physical releases, that they are these big huge titles? They aren't bud.

Most of those games that he listed, including the ones you listed for Switch has had their time to shine. It is just a matter of striking while the iron is hot and the investment for physical is obviously worth it for a brand new system.

Bastion, Galak-Z, Transistor, hotline Miami for example all had their days where they were the hotness.. stop kidding yourself with this nonsense. And There's, maybe like 1 or 2 games on the Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda) that can be perceived to be better than Cuphead. And I think Ori is better than 90% of the Switch's library.. and this is coming from a guy who is buying 2 more Switches this month.

Please.. them games you're talking about aren't jack.

Respect tho🤗
Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight, Cave Story and Binding of Issac are all big deals because they are, not because they had physical releases. They’re all million sellers. Cave Story in particular is one of the oldest, and definitive, indie games. Something like Galak-Z doesn’t really compare at all, even though it’s a great game.

J@hranimo

Banned

I appreciate this type of post for this thread and many other Indie success stories.

dl77

I wonder if some of these games are doing great on Switch because it's a lower-spec system?

What I mean is that on PS4/XB1 I wonder if there's a higher expectancy on how good games should look from a technical perspective and so ones that don't reach that level get ignored?

As the Switch is less powerful than those machines I wonder if owners don't have the same level of expectancy as to how games should look and so are more open to games like TFinF?

Hero

You think because those have physical releases, that they are these big huge titles? They aren't bud.

Most of those games that he listed, including the ones you listed for Switch has had their time to shine. It is just a matter of striking while the iron is hot and the investment for physical is obviously worth it for a brand new system.

Bastion, Galak-Z, Transistor, hotline Miami for example all had their days where they were the hotness.. stop kidding yourself with this nonsense. And There's, maybe like 1 or 2 games on the Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda) that can be perceived to be better than Cuphead. And I think Ori is better than 90% of the Switch's library.. and this is coming from a guy who is buying 2 more Switches this month.

Please.. them games you're talking about aren't jack.

Respect tho🤗

Way to take indie games and make it about first party system wars. That took a fair amount of stupidity to accomplish that. Respect though.

I wonder if some of these games are doing great on Switch because it's a lower-spec system?

What I mean is that on PS4/XB1 I wonder if there's a higher expectancy on how good games should look from a technical perspective and so ones that don't reach that level get ignored?

As the Switch is less powerful than those machines I wonder if owners don't have the same level of expectancy as to how games should look and so are more open to games like TFinF?
This isn't a bad theory. I kind of feel that Sony so often giving away indie games on PSN+ makes me far less likely to buy them as well. I actually buy more Indies on XB1 than PS4 for that reason.

Except the games cited as exemple are the ones looking good though.

That is a good point.

Although personally my PS4 has taken a back seat and at the moment doesn't really enter my thinking (it's not been on since the Switch launched, and has been packed away in it's box for five months). That said, I am renovating a house and have a very young baby, so the Switch is ideal!

I'm sure that's not the case for most. In fact I know it's not the case for everyone I know with a Switch apart from two other people (both got young kids demanding their time and TV!).

This is very possibly a reason these types of games are doing well, yes. The lack of competition argument doesn't make sense if you treat all platforms as equal, but if you start to treat the Switch as something that's easier to pick up and play then it makes more sense that people will spend more time playing it and therefore buy more games to fill that time.

LordRaptor

I think if that is coming into play it is more for multi platform owners that do not have to make any "compromise" about portability vs graphics

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The game is now at the third place in the Best Sellers category in the NA eShop :eek:

Top Bottom