• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit Part 3: TBOFA What was the worst part? Of this god awful film. *Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Thankyou. I watched EE Fellowship after writing it. Very cathartic.

The two parts I watched were so bad that I needed to rewatch LotR to make sure I wasn't crazy for liking it. It's still great.

The two parts I watched were so bad that I needed to rewatch LotR to make sure I wasn't crazy for liking it. It's still great.

I mean Peter Jackson was definitely replaced by a bland corporate, pod person right? There's no other explanation.

george-lucas.jpg

He's inside there.

Grinchy

Banned
I love the posts from people who hated the movie. Please keep them coming! I don't think I can properly describe my hatred for this horrible movie anymore but I love reading when you guys do it.

Solidsoul

Banned
Don't be mad just because these films arguably rival the SW prequels for sheer badness. Blame PJ.

They aren't perfect by any stretch of imagination, but the comparisons to the Star Wars prequels are unwarranted. Everyone wants to be the next Plinkett.

The Hobbit films are decent films with many issues, the Star Wars prequels are bad films at their core and often make no sense at all.

Not that it matters, but RedLetterMedia (Plinkett) themselves have stated (their personal opinions) that the Hobbit films are "good" and while many problems are present, they're not comparable to the flat out bad Prequels.

Not that it matters, but RedLetterMedia (Plinkett) themselves have stated (their personal opinions) that the Hobbit films are "good" and while many problems are present, they're not comparable to the flat out bad Prequels.

I don't particularly care what Red Letter Media thought of those films though. I have no idea who Plinkett even is. I know you acknowledge it doesn't matter, but they were far from the first people that noticed the prequels were of questionable quality. Both trilogies can vanish from the archives of time for all I care. Perhaps they're not as passionate fans of the Tolkien mythos as they are of the Star Wars one. Who knows.

It's not even as if it stems from my passion for Tolkien; my girlfriend who very casually watched the Lord of the Rings film was falling asleep in the cinema watched it, and she'd been quite the fan of the first two. It's very evident to me that either Jackson or WB decided there'd be a third film quite late in the day, as BotFA seems very cobbled together.

mrkgoo

I thought the movie was pretty cheesy, but after the disappointment of the second, i was able to detach and just have fun with it.

I thought the first movie is easily the best, as it actually has an arc with the characters, esp. Thorin (who kind of goes from being a dick to Bilbo to actually valuing him, and you believe it, unlike the second and third movies where he, for some reason starts becoming a dick to him again in both films. I guess at least he has the dragon sickness to blame on the third).

I also like
Bilbo scenes the best as they have that nice balance of humour and drama as opposed to all the other scenes which typically go too far either way, overly dramatic or just plain slapstick.

As for Legolas antics, kind f expected after the stuff he gets up to in LotR b

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I thought I was in the theater for 3 hours so I checked the time and the movie still had 45 minutes to go.

These movies are just fucking boring, which is the worst thing a movie can be. I can watch bad movies and find things to entertain myself, but boring ones are torture, especially when they are 3 hours long.

I also like
Bilbo scenes the best as they have that nice balance of humour and drama as opposed to all the other scenes which typically go too far either way, overly dramatic or just plain slapstick.

Well, yeah. Freeman kills it in pretty much every scene he's in. Which you'd expect, it was always good casting. Just shame it's not more of an awkward, bumbling hobbit finding great courage within himself.

I like The Hobbit. I like Bilbo, I like Gandalf, I like Smaug, and I like the dwarves. Those characters deserve an adaptation of the book instead of a stretched out LOTR fanfic that we got, and that saddens me greatly.

I greatly await the inevitiable fan edit.

I wonder if the original draft had a scene where Legolas uses Baby Gimli as a mace and chain...

Also, just watching FotR EE, and the moment when Dwarrowdelf is revealed in Moria, and that music plays. My god. The CGI doesn't even hint it's from 15 years ago. It's just magnificent. I can't wait to show my children this film.

- Is that... is that Billy Connolly? Is that an almost entirely CGI Billy Connoly? Could they just not be fucked with the prosthetic dwarf makeup? Did his Scottish rage just make them go for a computer face? Absolutely bizarre, and arguably worse than anything in LotR

He was diagnosed with parkinsons shortly after they hired him, he couldn't deliver his lines so they decided to go with CGI dwarf rather than recast.

Gravidee

I hate all of you.

Naturally there are some who blow things out of proportion, but you'll also find a number of people with some legitimate criticisms about this movie/trilogy.

He was diagnosed with parkinsons shortly after they hired him, he couldn't deliver his lines so they decided to go with CGI dwarf rather than recast.

That's still no excuse for him to look so bad. How is it that Weta Digital can make apes and blue alien people look more realistic than just a short bearded guy? The only thing I can think of is that they were pressed for time and probably working on the CG till the last minute. Having watched the appendices for DoS, they were literally working on the movie right up until the premiere so I wouldn't be surprised.

kharma45

Oh you see now I just feel dreadful.

That's not why. from the most recent Hobbit Chronicles book:

"Some months later we had a second round of design on Dain when Peter asked us to conceive him without the restrictions of costume and make-up. What had been achieved on Actor Billy Connolly with the prosthetic make-up and costume was cool, but it hadn't given Peter, Fran and Philippa exactly what they wanted from the character and we all felt that Billy had become a bit lost under it all. Paradoxically, if Dain were entirely digital we could bring more of Billy to the front of the new design brief. At the same time we could shift his proportions in subtle ways that costume could only achieve to a certain degree. We were able to broaden him, enlarge his head in relation to his body and make him feel chunkier, without encumbering Billy's performance the way a heavy costume, armor and prosthetics had."

Gravidee

That's not why. from the most recent Hobbit Chronicles book:

"Some months later we had a second round of design on Dain when Peter asked us to conceive him without the restrictions of costume and make-up. What had been achieved on Actor Billy Connolly with the prosthetic make-up and costume was cool, but it hadn't given Peter, Fran and Philippa exactly what they wanted from the character and we all felt that Billy had become a bit lost under it all. Paradoxically, if Dain were entirely digital we could bring more of Billy to the front of the new design brief. At the same time we could shift his proportions in subtle ways that costume could only achieve to a certain degree. We were able to broaden him, enlarge his head in relation to his body and make him feel chunkier, without encumbering Billy's performance the way a heavy costume, armor and prosthetics had."

Wow, that it is a really bad excuse. Reminds me of Prometheus when Ridley Scott wanted to "bring out more of the actor" by having the Fiefield zombie scene with him just wearing prosthetics. The CG version in that case was actually better. I guess this is like the exact opposite.

Correct me if I am mistaken.

But I think what The Hobbit movies lack (amongst a lot of things...) are monologues.
I watched the LOTR trilogy to wipe the memories of the mess The Hobbit is, and each movie has an amazing monologue : In the FOTR Gandalf in the mines of Moria, In TTT Sam in Osgilitah and last in the ROTK Aragon before the Black Gates.

Correct me if I am mistaken.

But I think what The Hobbit movies lack (amongst a lot of things...) are monologues.
I watched the LOTR trilogy to wipe the memories of the mess The Hobbit is, and each movie has an amazing monologue : In the FOTR Gandalf in the mines of Moria, In TTT Sam in Osgilitah and last in the ROTK Aragon before the Black Gates.

I don't think that's the biggest thing, but the dialogue on the whole is weaker. You almost got that monologue when Thorin is desperate not to be seen as the beggar Prince anymore. You almost feel sad. But then it just recedes into I AM KINGGG and frowny face.

By the way does someone else have the same 'problem' with Martin Freeman as I where, while in theory being a great fit for the role, I just cannot unsee him playing himself or his usual role? For instance the way he talks and moves/tilts his head when he isn't sure what to say...

It's pretty much not even really a complaint as that isn't even unfitting really, but was wondering if others felt the same.

karobit

Why are people bringing up Plinkett/Red Letter Media's opinion of The Hobbit films as if that should have any bearing on someone else's opinion? RLM is actually not the canonical source of facts on bad filmmaking, any more than any other critic would be. Someone's enjoyment (or at least lack of disgust) at a film means nothing to someone else's dislike of that film.

Solidsoul

Banned
I don't particularly care what Red Letter Media thought of those films though. I have no idea who Plinkett even is. I know you acknowledge it doesn't matter, but they were far from the first people that noticed the prequels were of questionable quality. Both trilogies can vanish from the archives of time for all I care. Perhaps they're not as passionate fans of the Tolkien mythos as they are of the Star Wars one. Who knows.

It's not even as if it stems from my passion for Tolkien; my girlfriend who very casually watched the Lord of the Rings film was falling asleep in the cinema watched it, and she'd been quite the fan of the first two. It's very evident to me that either Jackson or WB decided there'd be a third film quite late in the day, as BotFA seems very cobbled together.

Yeah, the character Plinkett from RLM just seems to be brought up when referring to the quality of the Star Wars prequels more than anything else. He put a lot of effort into pointing out the flaws.

Even though I'm in the camp that think the Hobbit films are far better than the Star Wars prequels, I will acknowledge that this film was a noticeable drop in quality from the first two. As I said, many mistakes were made with this trilogy, just ones I feel dont keep the movies from being enjoyable still.

The guy wo does Plinkett said Jackson's a superior movie maker to Lucas.

Yup. Judging by the films Jackson has directed compared to the ones Lucas has that seems pretty accurate.

samn

By the way does someone else have the same 'problem' with Martin Freeman as I where, while in theory being a great fit for the role, I just cannot unsee him playing himself or his usual role? For instance the way he talks and moves/tilts his head when he isn't sure what to say...

It's pretty much not even really a complaint as that isn't even unfitting really, but was wondering if others felt the same.

He's pretty much playing Arthur Dent or Watson.

'Ooh now that's a bit - um, well I don't want to say anything but - oh well you see - okay I'll just stand here almost about to speak'

Let's not forget the clone army that made it into the film.

I actually stood up for this when I saw it at first, saying maybe they would randomise the faces in time for the final release...I was wrong.

Jesus! That is just pathetic!

They couldn't even be bothered to make these look even slightly unique.

For God's Sake! Even the armies in the recent Total War games looked unique from one another and those are friggin video games.

WETA should be friggin ashamed in ignominious disgrace.

It's not like RLM is an authority on determining quality.

I don't think the comparisons are that unwarranted. Totally cheap and lazy films, devoid of drive, and with some painful dialogue.

just saw it. I don't think I'll be buying the bluray trilogy
Now I know what Star Wars fans feel about prequels

The fight scene during Gandalf's rescue was my favorite

The final battle seems like a rehash of Return of the King just longer and more cg. Which ran way too long
That Legolas fight scene was dialed in, and this is when the audience will clap

No way is ROTK better than BOTFA.

At least BOTFA ends. ROTK dragged for an eternity. One of the most drawn out and ridiculous theatrical endings ever. On the couch? Kinda works. In a cinema? Jesus, that was fucking horrible. You could hear people cringing at each fade out and fade in.

Unforgivable.

KVtS7O5.jpg

Gotta disagree here.

Lucas inside his twisted mind actually thinks he is doing the right thing.

Jackson just sold out.

I mean that's almost as disappointing, if not any less concerning. It's fair enough if he didn't want to do them, but he must realise how it looks in the eyes of fans, and how it affects perceptions of the LotR trilogy on the whole. I was so happy when Del Toro left the project... sigh.

Some parts I like, to distance me from just picking out flaws...

- Christopher Lee kicking ass at 92 years of age. Always nice to see, however CGI. And it was nice to see him finally get some respect, after being wiped from the theatrical RotK cut and being talked over by Galadriel in AUJ.
- Again, Martin Freeman's scenes. All wonderful. Whether he's playing himself or not is up for debate, but he makes an excellent Bilbo.
- Certain emotional scenes that I wish had more gravitas. Bilbo's tearful goodbye to the dwarves was great, if not a little undeserved. "You're all welcome.... dinner's at 4... supper at 8". Love it.

There's not much, but certainly enough to warrant some decent scenes in the inevitable fan edit when the EE comes out. I'd do it myself if I was at all confident with video editing. Hopefully if they trim the action, dialogue, Tauriel romance (Legolas probably would have been in Mirkwood, I've made my peace with that), and add any relevant EE material and it'll be a good moment.

The bloom has come off Orlando, though, whose main achievement as Legolas – other than some ridiculous mid-air running up collapsing masonry – is to illustrate perfectly what Joey Tribbiani from Friends called “smell the fart acting”.

Little quote from the Telegraph review, made me chortle.

When the dwarf leader Thorin (Richard Armitage) imagines himself drowning in a pool of molten gold, Jackson’s pet message that Greed Is Bad rings out again – but you have to wonder if a triple-your-money release strategy is quite the seemliest context to preach it in.

And again! Sick critic burn.

El Daniel

I don't think I liked anything about it. The battle itself was... boring. No identity. The orcs were some useless clones. The one on one fights were too long and had literally no weight.

How could this happen after Lotr.

Just got back from the cinema, and man.

Absolutely Garbage.

Everything that is going to happen is ridiculously telegraphed and the acting makes you feel like you're on the set of a B movie.

I'll sum up the opening scene as my most hated but fuck me the final battle was pretty bad and that fight scene with Sauron had some of the fucking worst use of special effects I've seen in a while. That fucking scene where Legolas becomes Super Mario and jumps on falling bricks? The orcs threatening to slow mo stab every character 20 times, when they get saved just in time all the fucking time.. uuuugh, the bad bad acting.

Haha, what?

Everything I read about this movie (and the second one as well, stopped watching them after the first one was already so faw away from the book and had so many tacked on bullshit it made me cringe) makes me shake my head.

Hopefully I will see a true attempt of truly recreating the atmosphere of "The Hobbit" without some director going nuts with over-the-top action bullshit.

Log4Girlz

I like The Hobbit. I like Bilbo, I like Gandalf, I like Smaug, and I like the dwarves. Those characters deserve an adaptation of the book instead of a stretched out LOTR fanfic that we got, and that saddens me greatly.

I greatly await the inevitiable fan edit.

We have the animated version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom