• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit Part 3: TBOFA What was the worst part? Of this god awful film. *Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this last film was an absolute blast and I love the way it ties right into the LoTR. Some of you need to realize that The Hobbit book, as charming as it was, wasn't anywhere near as detailed as LoTR. It was short and very basic. The Dwarves may as well have been called dwarf 1,2 3, 4, 5 etc.. because they had no character development at all. I can go on and on really. The point is it seems a lot of people were either furious at how Jackson didn't follow the book exactly or it wasn't as "EPIC" and detailed as LoTR. The Hobbit never had a damn chance of ever being LoTR, so why not have some fun and build upon the original story for the big screen? I felt The Hobbit was more of a fan service than anything else and gave us all a chance to go to Tolkien's world for one last run. To see some familiar faces and go on the adventure that started it all. It was more fun and fluff than the ultra serious and detailed LoTR movies. Why? because it was a 300 basic children's fantasy book, not a book epic fantasy story.

Look, I don't think these films were anywhere near perfect, in fact, I feel the second was (mostly) a waste of time. However, (IMO) the first film was absolutely fantastic (and stuck to the book pretty well) and the last was a great, action packed finale to close out the adventure. I don't see the problem here except that you'd probably enjoy it more if you simply lowered your obnoxiously high expectations. ;)

Objectively speaking, no, not really. There was a complete and utter lack of actual conclusions to any and all of the major story lines - and expecting the very basic tenements of film making does not constitute 'high expectations.' In fact, that's the very minimum one would expect in the final movie of a trilogy.

There wasn't even a proper ending to the battle for crying out loud. A single two second shot of some goblins fleeing back towards their holes and that's it. Jackson gave more time to Bard's kids looking bored than the battle's end; heck even that random Asian Lake Town lady got more screen time.

It was a shoddy film plain and simple.

Grinchy

Banned
Eh, it might be the comedown after Two Towers was epic and full of character moments... and ROTK was just so ridiculously sentimental and full of ridiculous action. I mean that 'I'LL CARRY YOU' scene is just the worst.

I didn't really like ROTK that much myself, but I think it was much better than BOTFA. I definitely didn't wish I wasn't at the theater halfway through ROTK.

Gravidee

No way is ROTK better than BOTFA.

At least BOTFA ends. ROTK dragged for an eternity. One of the most drawn out and ridiculous theatrical endings ever. On the couch? Kinda works. In a cinema? Jesus, that was fucking horrible. You could hear people cringing at each fade out and fade in.

446b81823a0e3ed88902542d9550131a2ddcdaabaa066fe85f87412b234b1883.jpg

Are you kidding me? The ending to ROTK may have been pretty long but it was the culmination of all of the big events that transpired throughout the trilogy. The characters deserved a long happy ending. BOTFA on the other hand and as I have repeated many times already, was the exact opposite where practically no one other than Bilbo got a proper sendoff. Shouldn't we have at least seen Bard and his motivations to rebuild Dale and Laketown/lead the people to prosperity? How about Dain becoming the new king of Erebor? As far as audiences are concerned, there was just a big fight where those two probably died, nothing was resolved and everything was pretty much left in ruin.

Real Hero

Rotk is better in every conceivable way. Any issues rotk had, such bad CGI and stupid legolas are amplified in the hobbit films

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not the biggest fan of ROTK but it's so much better in just about every way over Battle of Five Armies.

RobbieNick

Definitely the worst of the three. so many things I hated about this movie.

1.) The padding! This movie could have easily been reduced to an hour or less and lost nothing important to the overall narrative. Especially....

2.) Alfird. WHAT IS THE FUCKING POINT OF THIS CHARACTER?! Outside of barely being comic relief, he provides NOTHING! Everyone keeps trusting him with things they know he's gonna fuck up on and when he does fuck up, they're shocked! As a villain, he doesn't even get his comeuppance in the end. He's there for no other reason than to pad the film out to 2 & 1/2 hours so PJ can make the trilogy feel or "epic".

3.) Super Legolas Bros. It was funny in the second film because the barrel riding scene down the river was supposed to be over the top and humorous at times. Here's he's jumping on fucking bricks as they are falling!! Even my non-gaming sister said it was like something out of Super Mario before I could say it.

4.) The incredibly long and drawn out battle. "OOOH!! You better give us what's promised or we'll go to war! Here's our Elf army! Watch them assemble for like ten minutes!" Then there's the human army, the orc army, the dwarf army. ALL of it taking forever to assemble. Also, WTF is with those tunnel worms that could easily destroy the castle from inside, but don't?

5. Things they SHOULD have focused on a bit more, but didn't. Like, the dwarfs. Outside of Thorrin, they barely get any screen time this time around. There's no real resolution shown between the humans and dwarfs. Did they get to stay in the city under the mountain? Did they get their fair share of the gold? That Bear dude from the first movie is in for like, 2 seconds.

6. Unnecessary LOTR prequel bullshit. None of this existed in the book. All you needed was the ring and Gollum to make the connection.

I want a book edited edition of this "trilogy" so badly. It would easily fit into one movie and we wouldn't have to deal with all of this crap.

Oh my god. Just... wow. I went to see this last night with my girlfriend and her Dad, and good lord. I wouldn't do this for any other film, but it pissed me off so much, I'll have to get this off my chest. In semi-chronological order;

- People are dead on saying that it ended in the wrong place. The silly phenomenon of multiple part movies has always irked me, but no more than in Battle does it seem so clumsy. Hey, remember that dragon that got pissed a year ago? Do most audiences even remember why he's pissed? It was pretty obvious when Voldemort was on the prowl in Deathly Hallows Part II why he was on said prowl, because you'd had seven movies prior to build that up. Smaug has very much been an absentee thus far, an omen from the start. And... oh, he's dead. Look, this is how the book goes down, no getting around it. And to be honest this is why The Hobbit always felt so anti-climactic to me, even reading it as a child.

- We're less than ten minutes in and the stupid elephant surfing action has already begun. The action in LotR was always a little unbelievable, but it always had a sort of heaviness/natural clumsiness to it. But hey, here's Bard the Generic Reluctant Hero fashioning a bow out of a snapped piece of thread, and his son's shoulder. Wouldn't the end of that arrow wanged his head on the way into Smaug's chest? But this wasn't even on the Top 10 of "Stupid Battle Shit" that occurs in this film.

- Oh hey Alfrid! Don't really like him much. Hope he doesn't show up, say, equal to or more than Martin Freeman's character. You know, The Hobbit? Centrepiece of the story Remember?

- Dragon sickness should have been a nice subtle decay of Richard Armitage's Thorin, and I suppose if Jackson has such a hard-on for sewing these two seperate trilogies together, it can be a nice way to explain why Bilbo finds giving up the precious ring so easily. But guess what? Thorin was played as an absolute cunt from the first movie, and so I really couldn't give less of a shit.

- And yeah, the dragon sickness is not subtle. Like at all. Like, a dragon swimming under a pool of molten gold that swallows him... that's not how you do symbolism PJ.

- Is it just me, or did anyone else find themselves laughing when they really shouldn't have been? Whether it was Thorin saying "I AM KINGGGGGGGGGGGGG", or jesus christ did nobody else notice the troll with the fucking brick on it's head just flinging itself at the wall what the hell

- Thranduil, Thorin, I just don't care. They're both awful, awful people. Bard is supposed to be the likable one clearly, but he's just so dull! I hope wereworms eat him. Hah, but that's ridiculous, because wereworms were just Hobbit myths and not actual palpable creatures, right....?

- JUST CALL BARD DAD. STOP CALLING HIM "DA". YOU'VE ALREADY MADE REFERENCE TO "THE HORDES OF HELL" WHEN HELL ISN'T A THING IN MIDDLE-EARTH. CHRIST.

- The Dol Guldur scene is one of the many moments in the film where I felt like I should have had shivers run up my spine. Like this should have totally been a "Theoden King stands alone..." moment. But it wasn't. First of all, Gandalf's AWOL for the entire 2 minute battle. For a start, Dol Guldur... I mean, it beats Elf/Dwarf love already solely due to the fact we have it in writing from Tolkien it actually took place. But it's narratively out of place in the film, and I mean a 9 hour long epic. It just doesn't feel "right". Like, they defeat Sauron... sort of? What was the point? So, the nine ringwraiths are defeated, except not really... and Sauron is revealed, and he's returned, and we must make a concerted effort to track him down... except not really. And oh, Peter Jackson foreshadowing like a man punching you very hard in the face, over and over. "Leave Sauron to me". I think I cringed so hard I burst a blood vessel.

- ... so Galadriel's moment of darkness when the Ring of Power was within her grasp is apparently a thing she can do at will now whenever she feels like it?
- How does Azog's arm bones not just snap whenever he uses his sword. That's probably the nittiest pick I've made so far, because he's basically Captain Hook, but it just looks so... fragile.

- I assume the necklace Thranduil wanted was Legolas's mothers, and they'll explain that in the EE, because they sure as fuck didn't expand on that out of nowhere tidbit.

- Hey, it's Kili and Tauriel. Well, this was probably my least biggest problem with the film in honesty. But of course, it was handled awfully. See: "Thranduil is a cunt: Part XV"

- Is that... is that Billy Connolly? Is that an almost entirely CGI Billy Connoly? Could they just not be fucked with the prosthetic dwarf makeup? Did his Scottish rage just make them go for a computer face? Absolutely bizarre, and arguably worse than anything in LotR.

- The battle begins! And... so do the shitty, needless, would-make-George-Lucas-blush throwbacks to LotR. From "Fall back!" to "The eagles are coming!" "The battle for ____ is about to begin", just bugger off. It isn't clever. It's cringeworthy. It's dumb. It's not linking the trilogies, it's just further reminding your audience those infinitely superior films were a thing.

- The battles are just so subdued and stretched out. Appropriate for this film I guess, but it is frustrating when an eagle flies over, the horrible orc you're fighting to the death does nothing, turns around to expose his neck, and you just stand there.

- Thorin is a dumbfuck Part XVI: Let's stare into the maybe dead face of a known to be impervious to death orc that wants me dead as I stand on the precipice of a lake full of freezing cold water. Because I have to die. It's in the script.

- "You will die first! Then the brother! Then YOU Thorin!" I mean seriously, is he just reading through what is actually written down in The Hobbit, or what?

- We're once again reminded that Legolas is here. Not only is he here, but he has to be a dick like his Dad (less so as the film goes on), and inexplicably is Spider-Man too. I wonder if Jackson at any point just considered having him do bullet-time arrows, and shoot out like 3 at once. When he's walking over a falling bridge like he's in SMB3:
200px-Donut_Block_SM3DL2.png

You kind of just think, why not at that point?

- Every scene with Martin Freeman is gold, of course. And thus all the more baffling why they take up less than 20% of the film

- I mean seriously, WHY DO THEY NOT JUST SEND ALFRID AWAY. Why does Bard leave him with his children?

- I mean, nobody noticed the fucking troll with a battering ram hat? Nobody?

- CGI is bloody awful, Azog looks no less like a Harry Potter video game boss version of Voldemort than he did two years ago.
wetatop.jpg

- Thorin and Azog die in what is basically a double-ended dildo session. I bet they're quite relieved. They've been chasing each other for three years, for reasons.

- Bilbo cries over the death of Thorin, for reasons. Maybe it's like an abusive boyfriend kind of thing; Thorin's been, again, a monumental cunt to Bilbo. Boromir basically tries to kill Frodo and still ends up having an appropriately emotional death scene. Nobody cares about the dwarf that is KIIIIIIIIIIIIING.

- Seriously just shoot an arrow into him Legolas. You didn't have any, but you did before. Why didn't you do it then.

- The endings come together. All people can now officially eat crow for saying Return of the King has too many endings, because at least we got some god damn resolution for most/nearly all characters we've spent 9 hours watching interact and grow together. What on earth happened to nearly every character that wasn't Bilbo? You spend three films ignoring Bilbo, then remember this, and attempt to compensate by saying "fuck it" to every other character apart from him?

- "There's a young ranger by the name of Strider..." Who is barely eating solid food. Fuck you Peter Jackson. Fuck you. It makes absolutely no sense why a xenophobic, isolationist elf like Thranduil would suddenly know of this boy, and give a shit. He clearly doesn't really liase with Elrond too much. They're basically setting up a Legolas x Aragorn movie, and I couldn't give a damn.

- Favourite part of the movie was when it ended (Ha... ha...). But seriously, it was lovely. Exactly the tone the film should have been, rather than a three hour cobbling together of poorly animated battle scenes and bland melodrama from boring, unlikable characters.

Done.

fainting-bilbo1.gif

Gravidee

"There's a young ranger by the name of Strider..." Who is barely eating solid food. Fuck you Peter Jackson. Fuck you.

Aragorn would actually be 27 at the time this movie takes place. But yeah, I agree with most of your points.

pestul

I absolutely hate how weak the Orcs are.. Bilbo can throw fucking 2" stones at their heads and apparently crack their skulls. At least in Guards of the Galaxy, Quill cracks jokes about the 'paper people' fighting for Ronan. There was absolutely no weight or meat to them at all despite looking badass as all hell. It makes it totally unbelievable later in the battle when you actually see them pulling ahead despite being dominated at every turn early on (and at the end of course).

Legolas could super mario the Necromancers' entire f'ing army with his abilities. And Gandalf just whacking people with his staff again.. I mean come on you're a fucking wizard man.

Kathian

Banned
I absolutely hate how weak the Orcs are.. Bilbo can throw fucking 2" stones at their heads and apparently crack their skulls. At least in Guards of the Galaxy, Quill cracks jokes about the 'paper people' fighting for Ronan. There was absolutely no weight or meat to them at all despite looking badass as all hell. It makes it totally unbelievable later in the battle when you actually see them pulling ahead despite being dominated at every turn early on (and at the end of course).

Legolas could super mario the Necromancers' entire f'ing army with his abilities. And Gandalf just whacking people with his staff again.. I mean come on you're a fucking wizard man.

Those were Goblins not Orcs. legolas has been ridiculous since Two Towers and Gandalf the Grey does not use many powers often.

RedShift

And how does Bilbo go from young adult to can-barely-walk old between this movie and FOTR, when he has the ring that helps him not age?
Aragorn shouldn't even be born...

Aragon is in his 80s in LOTR. He has magic blood that makes him live longer. It's not in the theatrical cut but he tells Eowyn in the extended edition, and in the books obviously.

Abounder

Banned

Yea even if they're warrior goblins those rock kills were still just a bad reminder of the Ewoks vs Stormtroopers battle

And on a tangent it was also surprising to see Peter Jackson go back to the useless damsel in distress with the elf-lady after "I AM NO MAN!" from RotK

And how does Bilbo go from young adult to can-barely-walk old between this movie and FOTR, when he has the ring that helps him not age?

Yea I thought Leg's dad was just being an asshole and leading him on in typical elf fashion

Kathian

Banned

Bilbo is older than anyone in the Shire. Seems to be the ring brings immortality over youth. Smeagal fins the ring only a few hundred years earlier and is in an awful state at this point.

d9b

Banned
Terrible movie, I agree. Too much CG, bad script and acting… just eeeeew!
The Hobbit trilogy was just awful compared to The Lord of the Rings movies.

samn

Oh my god. Just... wow. I went to see this last night with my girlfriend and her Dad, and good lord. I wouldn't do this for any other film, but it pissed me off so much, I'll have to get this off my chest. In semi-chronological order;

Might be a bit more readable with some line spaces.

- Is that... is that Billy Connolly? Is that an almost entirely CGI Billy Connoly? Could they just not be fucked with the prosthetic dwarf makeup? Did his Scottish rage just make them go for a computer face? Absolutely bizarre, and arguably worse than anything in LotR.

like I said, it's a video game. Everyone looked like plastic. It wasn't even funny just how in-your-face lack of subtle that was.

Gravidee

like I said, it's a video game. Everyone looked like plastic. It wasn't even funny just how in-your-face lack of subtle that was.

The actors were for the most part fine to me. The real problem was with Conolly's character. When I first saw him my jaw literally hung upon in disbelief that they could get away with this. I think some people exaggerate when they say characters like Azog are indistinguishable from videogame characters, but this time it really was the case.

samn

Connolly's handful of lines certainly weren't having to make that character look so fake. Should have got someone else in.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ratings? Okay

An Unexpected Journey - 8

Desolation of Smaug - 7

Battle of Five Armies - 7

An Unexpected Journey- 4
Desolation of Smaug- 2
Battle of Five Armies- probably won't watch

It's just Jackson being Jackson and blowing things out of proportion.

From The Hobbit, page 195-196, Collins Modern Classics edition:

Bilbo saw that the moment had come when he must do something. He could not get up at the brutes and he had nothing to shoot with; but looking about he saw that in this place there were many stones lying what appeared to be a now dry little watercourse. Bilbo was a pretty fair shot with a stone, and it did not take him long to find a nice smooth egg-shaped one that fitted his hands cosily. As a boy he used to practice throwing stones at things, until rabbits, squirrels, and even birds, got out of his way as quick as lightning if they saw him stoop; and even grown up he had still spent a deal of his time at quoits, dart-throwing, shooting at the wand, . . . While he was picking up stones, the spider had reached Bombur, and soon he would have been dead. At that moment Bilbo threw. The stone struck the spider plunk on the head, and it dropped senseless off the three, flop to the ground, with all its legs curled up.

The next stone went whizzing through a big web, snapping its cords, and taking off the spider sitting in the middle of it, whack, dead.

CG Dain was probably the worst part of it for me, besides the amazing film coming to an end.

Second worst was the lame battle tactics. I'm quite certain that having archers fire from behind the cover of a shield wall is better than having them leap over it to engage in H2H combat.

Third worst was the stupid Tauriel love dialogue near the end.

Fourth worst was probably the falling brick stuff. I loved that duel as a whole, but that one bit was just a little too over the top.

None of these things prevent it from being a solid 8/10 film, since the highs are so high.

The most disappointing thing about this shitty trilogy is how weak the score is

Yeah I was pretty hopeful for the score when the first trailer for AUJ came out, but the second and third films were a lot weaker on that front. The Misty Mountain theme was amazing.

Jigorath

Banned
Saruman and Elrond teaming up to fight the Nazgul. The whole scene looked so silly. They did a very poor job mixing Christopher Lee with his body double.

Helmholtz

I'll rate the trilogy too for fun:

An Unexpected Journey - 7.5/10
Desolation of Smaug - 6.5/10
Battle of Five Armies - 7/10

First movie wasn't great, but it felt the most balanced, and the closest to the original trilogy. While it had its share of goofy moments, it was still fairly grounded and I could still take it seriously on some level. Stuff like the cave troll scenes, and the gollum scenes I thought were well done. I remember feeling like there was still hope for the trilogy after seeing the first one. But after seeing the second one that hope was gone.
Second move just felt all over the place. Like, what the hell was that Beorn scene? Or even Mirkwood. Just a collage of random scenes that didn't work too well on their own. And what really bothered me was that last, incredibly pointless sequence where the dragon chases them around, culminating in one of the worst cliffhangers in movie history.
Third movie had possibly the largest amount of silly moments, but at least it was entertaining, and had about the best ending we could have hoped for considering how much of a mess the trilogy was. I mean, my expectations for the third one were pretty low after seeing that second one.
Honestly, I feel like Shore gave less of a shit than Peter Jackson himself. Can't remember a single theme from this trilogy outside misty mountain, which was only in the first movie. And this is a pretty big deal considering the scores for the original trilogy are a very large reason the movies work so well. They were extremely memorable and effective.

samn

I watched an edited version of the first 2 movies, gets rid of anything not in the book and condenses it down to 2 hours.

Prologue is gone (not needed, the backstory is explained in the shire anyway), they leave the shire within 20 minutes instead of 45, Radagast is mercifully absent, there's no mention of Sauron, the elves are over and done with in 5 minutes, Beorn is still pointlessly in, (now at the 1:10 mark), the barrel section changes are hilarious (they get in the barrels, travel down the river for a moment, then are seen getting out, with absolutely no loss to the film), they spend only about 7 minutes in Lakewood, and the only Smaug scenes are those he has with Bilbo which comprise the last 10 minutes of the film.

It moves along at a ripping pace, flows well, and somehow the plot has never made more sense.

There are still issues with the CGI and the feeling that even simple scenes are created from layers of green screen.

I wish Jackson would release a condensed version like this, but he would need to accept the flaws in his vision first which I can't see happening.

Gazunta

Oh my god. Just... wow. I went to see this last night with my girlfriend and her Dad, and good lord. I wouldn't do this for any other film, but it pissed me off so much, I'll have to get this off my chest. In semi-chronological order

I just wanted to congratulate you on such a great post. Seriously, you totally nailed what aggravated me about this movie so much. It's such a shame because I was really looking forward to it, but all these little problems just added up to a really annoying bore of a film. Thanks for writing it, I hope you felt better after posting :)

Toxi

Banned
I watched an edited version of the first 2 movies, gets rid of anything not in the book and condenses it down to 2 hours.

Prologue is gone (not needed, the backstory is explained in the shire anyway), they leave the shire within 20 minutes instead of 45, Radagast is mercifully absent, there's no mention of Sauron, the elves are over and done with in 5 minutes, Beorn is still pointlessly in, (now at the 1:10 mark), the barrel section changes are hilarious (they get in the barrels, travel down the river for a moment, then are seen getting out, with absolutely no loss to the film), they spend only about 7 minutes in Lakewood, and the only Smaug scenes are those he has with Bilbo which comprise the last 10 minutes of the film.

It moves along at a ripping pace, flows well, and somehow the plot has never made more sense.

There are still issues with the CGI and the feeling that even simple scenes are created from layers of green screen.

I wish Jackson would release a condensed version like this, but he would need to accept the flaws in his vision first which I can't see happening.
Think of Beorn as a less annoying Tom Bombadil.

I definitely want to see this cut.

What was up with the CGI/art?

Felt like someone took the art from Hearthstone and pasted it into the movie

Horrible movie, felt like it was written for 5 year olds, and felt just insulting to have so many scenes where the good guys fight off all these bad guys so effortlessly.

I couldn't stand it, but my LoTR loving friends ate it up.

Maybe it's just how Tolkien wrote, but I couldn't stand it. Felt so juvenile to have scene after scene of the good guys having superhuman strength and capabilities to destroy the numerous bad guys.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
OK you go me, I have nothing to say, actually it wasn't awesome just very enjoyable but I don't get all the hate. I mean I would get it if it was the first but after the other two films I didn't expect anything better. If I had to rate them it would be 5/10, 7/10, 7/10 respectively.

How? First movie had the least stupid stuff in it. It's 6/10 just for that. Points deducted for the stupid orc vs Thorin standoff on the cliff. (It's not epic if you know it's going to go nowhere.)

Second movie gets 4/10 for the golden statue assassination plot. Wait, 3/10 for introducing the elven fanfic.

Third movie gets 2/10 for being bad.

Magwik

Banned

I want to see this :0
It's kind of mind-boggling to imagine a world where the 3rd film is not widely considered better than the other two combined.
Why's that?

watershed

Banned

This also sounds like a movie with no action.

Might be a bit more readable with some line spaces.
Consider it done!

Seriously, I meant to include this, but it just sounds like they reversed some of the melodies from the LotR trilogy, or wrote very very similar ones.

A fan edit of all 3 is the only reason I patiently await the DVD release of this shit pile.

I just wanted to congratulate you on such a great post. Seriously, you totally nailed what aggravated me about this movie so much. It's such a shame because I was really looking forward to it, but all these little problems just added up to a really annoying bore of a film. Thanks for writing it, I hope you felt better after posting :)

Thankyou. I watched EE Fellowship after writing it. Very cathartic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom