• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Not really...

I'm looking forward to it but there's like zero hype in the bubbles I'm in. Hardly see anyone talk about it on Twitter or Reddit (outside of the subreddit and even that one is not that exciting).
Screenshot of the trending page right now.
pfOvg8t.png

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Following up on this with some more pre-release data:

Here's the comparison the day of the Xbox/Bethesda presentation where the Starfield Direct was shown (June 11th):

And here's the comparison the day of Larian's "Panel From Hell: Release" presentation (July 7th):

This is not meant to disparage Baldur's Gate 3, or Larian, at all. It's simply meant to show that pre-release interest for Starfield seems to be higher both right now, and during their respective marketing beats. And I only use Baldur's Gate 3 here as a comparison because so many have brought it up in this thread.

The data's even better when people stop pretending the USA is the entire world.

Justin9mm

The last game I can remember that had this type of hype leading up to its release was Red Dead Redemption 2.
It's trending on twitter every day. Forums and social media are all about Starfield, and MS hasn't advertised jack shit for it.

I haven't really been a Bethesda guy, but I am a space guy, so this game is for me, but was the hype like this when the last Elder Scrolls came out?
MS not advertising and pushing is usually a worrying sign. Because they might know the game is average.

I really hope I'm wrong!

Krieger

I don't see any hype for Starfield. What I'm seeing are advertisements from Sony for Spider-Man 2 and the Gran Turismo movie when going to the cinema. Nothing like that for Starfield. The biggest electronics chain in Germany (Mediamarkt/Saturn) even has a special page for preordering Spider-Man 2 with a special preorder comic. Again, nothing like that for Starfield.
Microsoft is fumbling the marketing campaign for their biggest release of the last 10 years, at least here in Germany.

Vox Machina

Banned
Does saying half the GAF posts are about it count when most of those are in fact...you? I'm super glad you're excited for this, but as somebody who doesn't live on twitter at all and spends a decent amount of time on Twitch/YT most hype for anything outside of the Xbubble has been about Baldurs Gate 3, with a likely big boost to that already when it launches on console as well. Google searches aren't really all that meaningful in the end as it could be random Bob checking a release date or some crazy dude obsessed with Starfield just pumping that search button on any site that'll take it with a Starfield avatar

Can't trust Google but we can trust Twitch (user curated) and YouTube (algorithm-based)

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don’t understand Twitter but it’s not in the top 30 in the UK.

I'm in the UK, that screenshot came from the Twitter app search screen.

It's worth recognising that trending in gaming is what the screenshot says and that's what I was referencing.

There are few games that break through to the public consciousness so measuring Starfield's pre launch engagement in the general category is likely to see it come up short. The types of things in the general trending section will be things that absolutely everyone has awareness of or an opinion on. The Barbie movie, War, death of a celebrity. Few games will ever reach that level of engagement. Maybe for a short time at launch.

But based on what Twitter is telling me, relative to other games and possibly just in the UK (I'm not sure how it works either) Starfield seems to be being spoken about a lot on twitter, enough that they say it's trending in the gaming category.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The hype is growing for sure! For me there is nothing that can top it, would jump in and be excited to play even if it was a 5/10. Been waiting too long for this game.

But as said in another thread the social platforms like X are extremely toxic right now and the noise gets exaggerated from the platform war. Some posters literally do nothing but post console war fuel, it’s exhausting. PS fans are posting concerns and downplay the Starfield hype and Xbox fans are gloating that PS fans are missing out, Baldur’s Gate gets thrown into the mix as well because of the Xbox delay. PC related posts are somewhat a free zone and maybe you can miss it all if you only look at Switch posts and the algoritm is tuned so you only see that, idk.

For Xbox-only gamers, sure. But multiplatform gamers are EATING right now. I'm not even sure if I'll be done with Baldurs Gate by the time Starfield is out.
Okay?

rRE1MT7.png

People apparently are about as excited for Starfield as they are for Best Buy and Dragonball.
So who's gonna make the Best Buy Hype thread?

Ozriel

M$FT
You took vacation time from work to play bethesda game at launch? Without waiting for reviews? Would waiting a month or two have been too much?

Ah yes, the myth that Bethesda games are unplayable at launch.

For Xbox-only gamers, sure. But multiplatform gamers are EATING right now. I'm not even sure if I'll be done with Baldurs Gate by the time Starfield is out.

I guess that’s why it’s topped wishlists on Steam for months and it’s preorder has been in the top 3 paid games list on Steam for a while now…on the only platform where BG3 has been released so far.

I think it’s quite the stretch to call PC gamers ‘xbox-only’

That said, the marketing seems rather muted for such a big title. I wonder what the plan is, but I suspect things will ramp up considerably with Gamescom and the new trailer

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think most people are incredibly suspicious on the chances they will put out an actually good game.

If the previews drop and are excited, the hype will be off the charts. This is the game people would want to be good.

Vox Machina

Banned
Ah yes, the myth that Bethesda games are unplayable at launch.

I guess that’s why it’s topped wishlists on Steam for months and it’s preorder has been in the top 3 paid games list on Steam for a while now…on the only platform where BG3 has been released so far.

I think it’s quite the stretch to call PC gamers ‘xbox-only’

That said, the marketing seems rather muted for such a big title. I wonder what the plan is, but I suspect things will ramp up considerably with Gamescom and the new trailer

Damn now I gotta call Summit1G out on being 'Xbox-only' :(

Not sure what MS are doing. It’s two weeks until the premium edition releases, their marketing team should be firing on all cylinders right now.

I think BG3 releasing a month early and all the fuss surrounding it took up all the news recently. I also can’t see it going away anytime soon, it’s a behemoth of a game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The comparisons to Baldur's Gate will be brutal, very unfortunate timing.

And in this case the hype came mostly after release when people realized how good the game is. Can Starfield pull off the same feat? I will press X on that one.
The difference in writing quality alone is gonna be gigantic if the deep dive is anything to go by.

It being on GP muddies the water

I expect it could be played by 8-10 million people first month

Sales? 7M seems quite high to me. I think it does 4-5
It should at least do what Forza Horizon 5 did, infact it should be well above that.
If I recall, over 1 million people paid for early access of that, and it sold over 6 million copies, and has had over 30 million players.

Fabieter

You don’t think that has to do with the game being released and all?

There’s more talk about BG3 than Spiderman 2 at the moment. Guess which one will sell way more ?

Iam not so sure spiderman 2 will sell way more than baldur's gate 3. I really think baldur's gate 3 will sell more than 20m copies in the end.

Vox Machina

Banned
The difference in writing quality alone is gonna be gigantic if the deep dive is anything to go by.

BG3 writing is so hit or miss for me. The companions all desperately wanting to fuck me basically instantly was real weird. The pandering to the coomers may be good for marketing but I've never enjoyed romance mechanics in games so having to "defuse a sex bomb" every time I talked to my companions was off-putting.

The last game I can remember that had this type of hype leading up to its release was Red Dead Redemption 2.
It's trending on twitter every day. Forums and social media are all about Starfield, and MS hasn't advertised jack shit for it.

I haven't really been a Bethesda guy, but I am a space guy, so this game is for me, but was the hype like this when the last Elder Scrolls came out?
Bless

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think most people are incredibly suspicious on the chances they will put out an actually good game.

If the previews drop and are excited, the hype will be off the charts. This is the game people would want to be good.
Oh you can rest assured that reviewers will push it to around 90 regardless of whether it's a good or a bad game.

They pushed Halo Infinite to 87 with 10/10 scores and promoted Redfall as a potential GOTY.

I hope it actually is a 90 rather than just having a score of 90. I just don't trust their previews and review scores.

Iam not so sure spiderman 2 will sell way more than baldur's gate 3. I really think baldur's gate 3 will sell more than 20m copies in the end.
Ok, maybe I'm showing my arse off here, but do table top RPGs have mass appeal? Sure the PC and hardcore will eat up a game like this, but I don't see any casuals playing these types of games. I don't play them, but I will play first person RPGS.

Other than seeing blatant Xbox evangelists on Twitter just posting random Starfield to get traction, I haven't seen anything significant. But hey, I'm in Japan which is probably not Starfield's main target audience.
If a handful of Xbox shills can get a game trending for weeks on end on twitter, they have way more reach than I would have guessed.
If you read the posts on twitter about Starfield, the majority are normal xbox and PC players who are excited about it, and the rest are Sony fanboys who are trying to troll everything Starfield.
They are feeding the algorithm.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
And as he like gaming it is showing what the most trending thing in gaming is, which is Starfield.
that's not how it works, it's based only on your likes, if all you do is like posts about starfield and NFL you will see trends only about that

you can check trendings here https://trends24.in/

Most Tweeted About Video Games

1. Genshin Impact (@GenshinImpact)
  2. Wordle
  3. Ensemble Stars! (@ensemble_stars)
  4. Final Fantasy ( F FinalFantasy )
  5. Project Sekai (@pj_sekai)
  6. Apex Legends (@PlayApex)
  7. Elden Ring (@ELDENRING)
  8. Fate/Grand Order (fgoproject)
  9. Valorant (@PlayVALORANT)
  10. The Legend of Zelda (@NintendoAmerica)

Vox Machina

Banned
> talking about multiplatform gamers being busy with recent releases like Baldur's Gate 3
> you bring up someone who is playing fucking Halo Infinite right as we speak

plz-stop-post.jpg

Halo Infinite is on PC and he plays with M&KB, lmao. I've been watching the dude for years and to knowledge he doesn't give a single shit about consoles, so yeah I'm gonna clown on that post.

supernova8

Banned
If a handful of Xbox shills can get a game trending for weeks on end on twitter, they have way more reach than I would have guessed.
If you read the posts on twitter about Starfield, the majority are normal xbox and PC players who are excited about it, and the rest are Sony fanboys who are trying to troll everything Starfield.
They are feeding the algorithm.
I should've been more specific, I follow the official Xbox mainly for game pass related stuff. I think the other stuff is being recommended to me because of that. I haven't seen anything "trending" per se.

Dazraell

Personally, I don't see the same level of hype as other releases this year like Hogwarts Legacy, Tears of the Kingdom or Baldur's Gate III. I think Starfield will sell well, but it's not even near the level of hype which surrounded Skyrim and Fallout 4 prior to their releases

GymWolf

Gold Member
Which one is better?

Haven't played either but recently played Skyrim and DOS2. So find this confusing.
BG seems much better, starfield deep dive writing left me unimpressed to say the least and bethesda is not exactly famous for their writing...

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I find Youtube to be even worse. You watch literally one cat video and then your entire home screen thing is fuckin FILLED with cat videos. Even when you choose the "new to you" thing at the top right, it's still basically the same stuff it's been recommending me for weeks.
even when choosing not interested they still come back

i looked the trailer for a tv show and instantly i got video spoiling everything
on twitter i keept getting shill post from jez corden and krobville and all those shills and it was impossible to make them go away until i blocked them

Top Bottom