• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can some one recommend me a WRPG?
Avernum: Escape from the Pit, Avadon: The Black Fortress. And Baldur's Gate I guess.

I just tried Trigger Fist since it was free... It's totally not my thing the way it's basically Counter-Strike in third person (and constant respawning in all modes as far as I could tell) but I could see a slower methodical tactical TPS that takes inspiration from its control implementation being pretty good. Horizontal only aiming is a good idea for iOS and I like how they handle crouching also. Such a game could add an extra prone position and allow for stealth and melee kills and what not on top of the existing moves (mostly climbing/rolling over obstacles). Liking the Portable Ops style sound sensor too. I'd still rather play it on other platforms but at least that way it should be playable on iOS too. Is there anything like that? I recall some member here nagging others about a tactical game on iOS, was he actually suggesting one or just proposing the idea like I'm doing?

wihio

I don't know if anyone cares, but I got 80150 credits from 134 spins on freeappslots. Kinda curious what the "average" is.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Kinda disappointed Big Fish only dropped 33%. They've had better sales, will just hold out.

igor

Bought Crazy Taxi, and considering Jet Set Radio but how horrible are the controls?

I bought it in the end...

the controls are horribly painful. Game feels really stiff already and the touch controls make things worse... I suppose it's okay for just trying the game out... just don't try to beat the ridiculous tutorial - it almost made me kill someone.

Is Max PAyne playable then or does it suffer just like JSR?

I really wish Lili, Theathrythm and Ravensword 2 were working on iPod touch 4 : ( Guess my device won't support many games from now on...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I literally had a passing thought of "man I gotta go get more milk before the App Store freeze!"

Someone send help.

DRZ

FFT on sale. As big lover of the series and owner of the psp version, should I buy it? Is it on par with the psx/psp version? I'd play it on ipad.

igor

Also could someone tell me if Bastion is worth getting and how would it play on a small screen? Always wanted to check this out? Sorry for multiple posts.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't know if anyone cares, but I got 80150 credits from 134 spins on freeappslots. Kinda curious what the "average" is.

Freeappslots seems like the worst freebie thing for me. Apps never give me spins and i dont get much credit per spin

xelios

It's razor sharp on my ipad 4

It is blurry, vs PC at least. I noticed the same thing right away and it bothered me, but it may be because I played it 30+ hours on PC first. It's definitely not as crisp as the PC version.

iPad 4:

photo4dtcoy.png

PC:

bastion2012-12-2017-3swj9a.png

GAMERG0D

So I started up Chrono Trigger on my 3rd Gen iPod Touch and I got this with a flickering bar on the right. Ugh I have to wait until I get my iPhone 5. :/

ibnFLWPkDP3E9N.jpg

J0dy77

Also could someone tell me if Bastion is worth getting and how would it play on a small screen? Always wanted to check this out? Sorry for multiple posts.

I loved Bastion on my iPad. Used the cloud sync option to play on both iphone and ipad. I stuck to the main story sections on the iPad for the better experience. While using the iPhone for the proving grounds. It is iPhone 5 compatible and doesnt really bother me on the small screen either. Definitely worth the $5. I never got through the game on Xbox but loved it here. Definitely play with headphones.

Pachimari

I bought it in the end...

the controls are horribly painful. Game feels really stiff already and the touch controls make things worse... I suppose it's okay for just trying the game out... just don't try to beat the ridiculous tutorial - it almost made me kill someone.

Is Max PAyne playable then or does it suffer just like JSR?

I really wish Lili, Theathrythm and Ravensword 2 were working on iPod touch 4 : ( Guess my device won't support many games from now on...
To me, Max Payne controls perfectly fine. But I don't have problems with third person shooters on the format like Trigger Fist or Shadowgun.

I think I'm gonna complete Bastion when I'm through The Walking Dead. I'm at Episode 1 as I almost just started.

J0dy77

Even though I despise Square Enix's philosophy on iOS, I am tempted to buy TWEWY and Chrono Trigger? Good idea? I've heard a lot of issues for Chrono of late. Somebody push me over the edge or pull me back.

ekim

I think I know what he's talking about. Some areas of the screen look out of focus, at least that's my interpretation of blurry here. I see the same thing, but it may be because I played it 30+ hours on PC first. It's not a big thing because both have a dreamy look to them, but it'll take a little getting used to it not being quite as crisp.

iPad 4 (note the hammer and southern breakable walls):

photo3bekc9.png

Why has the pic a 1024x786 resolution?

Might give it a try next week. Just seems sort of blatant how TA is buddy-buddy with Crescent Moon. I kinda saw it coming when they partnered with them to promote the original last week.

I have a 3rd gen so I'll play on iPhone 5.

And by "original last week" you actually mean Aralon: S&S, which is not Ravensword and is now like 2 years old, regularly priced at $6.99, so i doubt it was getting many sales, so why not make it free for a few days to show as many ppl as possible that "open world western RPG's" are actually possible on a mobile device - seems like a smart business move to me on CM's part.

And it's not like it's uncommon for TA to give games 5 stars, I think they actually give that rating out a little to generously.

99%

FF4 is really really good on my iphone5.

Other gamea ive bought on sale: Puzzle Agent 1/2, Hector 1/2, Rayman jungle run, Knights of PnP, Bastion.

Stocking up for next few months :)

Chopper

Is there any drawback to letting my girlfriend use my App Store account? I have got her an iPad Mini for Christmas, and I would like her to be able to download all the games I have already bought. Is that even possible? Apart from the obvious security issue (I'm not worried about her spunking all my cash), would it hinder her in any way? ie, are there implications outside of the app store that I'm not remembering?

iceatcs

So as to not spam the thread with huge images. Anyway, click to see for yourself in full resolution, iPad is blurry vs PC:

Of course iPad is blurry because it is upscaled from lower resolution. 2048×1536 is way too much for Bastion.

There are number of games not natively rendered.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is there any drawback to letting my girlfriend use my App Store account? I have got her an iPad Mini for Christmas, and I would like her to be able to download all the games I have already bought. Is that even possible? Apart from the obvious security issue (I'm not worried about her spunking all my cash), would it hinder her in any way? ie, are there implications outside of the app store that I'm not remembering?

As far as I know. the only nuisance is that if she uses her own separate login regularly and an update gets released for an app she downloaded using your account. she'd have to logout and login using your account to get the update.

Chopper

As far as I know. the only nuisance is that if she uses her own separate login regularly and an update gets released for an app she downloaded using your account. she'd have to logout and login using your account to get the update.
But if I let her download apps using my account, she wouldn't have any need to use her own login, right? No other implocations?

RedAssedApe

Banned
But if I let her download apps using my account, she wouldn't have any need to use her own login, right? No other implocations?

Well if she's going to be using your account exclusively on that device then no. It would for all intents and purposes be like you owned both devices and you have free reign to redownload your apps on as many devices as you want (if im not mistaken)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

Not really. It'll just ask for his password when she tries to update those apps. Don't have to log out of anything

xelios

Of course iPad is blurry because it is upscaled from lower resolution. 2048×1536 is way too much for Bastion.

There are number of games not natively rendered.

Yes thank you, that is all we were really trying to establish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom