• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

Hey hey, that game is awesome! Unless you are doubting it will make it out. It's very pick up and play, yet also is a game you can sit there playing constantly. Plus it will control like a dream on iOS.

Pitta was indeed sarcastic about the release probability of the three games in question. I'm certain it's not a judgement about the games, and I think at the contrary he is one of the gaffers dying to put his hands on them.
CoH is MIA and Ghost Recon was last seen being reworked into an IAP war zone.
As of Grimrock I think gaff is maybe a little hard on the dev. They seem to be a really small team.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shadow Warrior is fucking awesome on iOS. I cannot believe how well they managed to port the game this time. They also did right by releasing it as a FREE game with in-app purchases. The free version includes the Shareware levels while the IAP includes the rest of the game for $1.99.

The controls are extremely well designed and can be customized fully. Seriously the best FPS controls I've used yet on a touch device.

On top of that, the game renders at a higher resolution (though still sub-native for some reason) with texture filtering on or off at a full 60 frames per second (rather than the original Build engine 35 fps limit). It looks sharp on the phone itself, however, which is most important.

Everything about this is brilliantly designed. It's a shame this studio couldn't go back and fix Duke Nukem 3D while adding Blood to the mix.

1be235bfe43a0289537a191b17bc6e898e9f65cd.PNG

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Anyone out there playing Puzzles & Dragons?

I like it, but I do not really know what I am doing ...

Me! Play it every day, around rank 35 at the moment with Ancient Dragon Knight as my leader. It's not so deep that you won't understand it soon. Just get some healer friends (Alraune, Siren the Enchanter, Archangel) and build a team up, power them up with the extra eggs you get from dungeons and eventually evolve them. Later on you'll be wanting to build multiple color teams if you really get into it. Otherwise, just having some healer friends will let you enjoy quite a bit of the game and you can just grind the most difficult dungeon you're capable of to rank up. There is a point where the game just punches you square in the face with difficulty though.

ParityBit

Me! Play it every day, around rank 35 at the moment with Ancient Dragon Knight as my leader. It's not so deep that you won't understand it soon. Just get some healer friends (Alraune, Siren the Enchanter, Archangel) and build a team up, power them up with the extra eggs you get from dungeons and eventually evolve them. Later on you'll be wanting to build multiple color teams if you really get into it. Otherwise, just having some healer friends will let you enjoy quite a bit of the game. There is a point where the game just punches you square in the face with difficulty though.

How do you change your leader? I still have the starting red dragon as mine and he is maxed out. :( I have some rares .... but they are only in my party.

I have leveled them up, but what is the point (and how do you) evolve them?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Shadow Warrior is fucking awesome on iOS. I cannot believe how well they managed to port the game this time. They also did right by releasing it as a FREE game with in-app purchases. The free version includes the Shareware levels while the IAP includes the rest of the game for $1.99.

The controls are extremely well designed and can be customized fully. Seriously the best FPS controls I've used yet on a touch device.

On top of that, the game renders at a higher resolution (though still sub-native for some reason) with texture filtering on or off at a full 60 frames per second (rather than the original Build engine 35 fps limit). It looks sharp on the phone itself, however, which is most important.

Everything about this is brilliantly designed. It's a shame this studio couldn't go back and fix Duke Nukem 3D while adding Blood to the mix.
There's no source code available for Blood. Then again, I guess that if they did this they'd be working with the creator who still has it and is currently thinking of doing a port to modern PC OS himself so that'd be sorted.

Also, disagree with everything, the controls are similar to any half decent iOS FPS in the end. So, done alright for the platform, though I find myself missing buttons as they're too small. Plus, the game's way too fast for touch only controls, even if you negate the need for vertical aiming, with how platforming heavy these games at times get.

That said my earlier complaint about the positioning of the buttons is I guess a bit moot since you can move them around (at least some of them, not sure) but then again there are still too many functions to have them all on screen in this manner. And crouch should still be a toggle. Controlling the remote controlled car with the analog stick was finicky as well.

Also, the way it's setup to adjust your aim you either have to continue firing (since you can fire then drag your firing finger around without letting go to freelook) or use some claw variation (to drag index finger around to freelook and use your thumb to fire). Similarly for crouching and moving, never mind crouching and moving and firing...

But yeah, trying to melee people in the heat of action or even just adjust my aim was tough with how fast it is vs your average iOS shooter. Although I guess it might be more comfortable on smaller devices than iPad2.

I did think the presentation's good, though the optional filtering is bleh and there's no reason to have the voxels optional.

But I can't imagine myself finishing it on iPad2 if the game gets as tricky as Duke Nukem 3D or Blood (which I'm currently enjoying on PC, and still enjoy Blood way more even though it doesn't have a modern source port like Duke Nukem 3D and the other Build games so suffers a little bit from the emulation and what not - though not its framerate, it's smooth 95% of the time) so I definitely didn't purchase the full thing, I'll get it off gog if I care to play through it.

And yeah, high FPS is great, and sprites as enemies means these games look charming despite their age, not with dodgy blocky 3D models. Modern developers should try things like that too on weak platforms.

xelios

How do you change your leader? I still have the starting red dragon as mine and he is maxed out. :( I have some rares .... but they are only in my party.

I have leveled them up, but what is the point (and how do you) evolve them?

You just go to edit team and click on the leader and choose a new one. Note their leader ability on the info screen, as it'll affect your entire team (only if they're leader). Once someone is your friend and you take them along with you, their leader skill will be active for your team as well. My Ancient Dragon Knight will increase the attack of all dragons on the team by 2.5x so if you want to add me my ID is 331537297. You'll want more healer friends for the beginning/intermediate content though.

Power-up fusion raises your monsters' hp/attack/healing and is necessary because they must be max level to evolve into their next (much more power potential) form. To evolve you just go to Evolve Fusion under the Monster tab and need to have the right evo materials and a max level monster. Evo materials are enemies only good for evolving your monsters, and they'll start as max level and say "Evo Material" under their name in their info screen (masks, dragon fruit/flower, little ghosts with the orb etc.). Metal dragons are only good for huge bonuses to experience, not actually putting on your team. They'll say "Enhance Material" beneath their name in the info screen. With fire dragon you'll obviously want a fire team, and the first few evolutions will be fairly simple to get for him. You'll want orb changers on your team eventually (SKL: Changes heal orbs to fire orbs & SKL: Changes water orbs to fire orbs).

ParityBit

You just go to edit team and click on the leader and choose a new one. Note their leader ability on the info screen, as it'll affect your entire team (only if they're leader). Once someone is your friend and you take them along with you, their leader skill will be active for your team as well. My Ancient Dragon Knight will increase the attack of all dragons on the team by 2.5x so if you want to add me my ID is 331537297. You'll want more healer friends for the beginning/intermediate content though.

Power-up fusion raises your monsters' hp/attack/healing and is necessary because they must be max level to evolve into their next (much more power potential) form. To evolve you just go to Evolve Fusion under the Monster tab and need to have the right evo materials and a max level monster. Evo materials are enemies only good for evolving your monsters, and they'll start as max level and say "Evo Material" under their name in their info screen (masks, dragon fruit/flower, little ghosts with the orb etc.). Metal dragons are only good for huge bonuses to experience, not actually putting on your team. They'll say "Enhance Material" beneath their name in the info screen. With fire dragon you'll obviously want a fire team, and the first few evolutions will be fairly simple to get for him.

OK thanks! I will give that a try when I get home. Is there a wiki or something on this? I am assuming you need Evo materials of the same color creature for it to work?

I will add you when I get home to my iPad :)

xelios

OK thanks! I will give that a try when I get home. Is there a wiki or something on this? I am assuming you need Evo materials of the same color creature for it to work?

I will add you when I get home to my iPad :)

The Evo materials aren't always the same color, no. But when you're consuming eggs to power-up your monsters they get bonus experience from eggs of the same element, not a requirement though. Also the only good wiki I know is not in English but once you learn the game, with the pages translated you can understand quite a bit. The Touch Arcade thread on the game is really helpful as well.

bonesquad

Does this have a campaign? I like Ascension but am not interested in multiplayer only too much, or just barebones AI fights.

And how did Plague Inc get RPG runner up...

Playdek games are great for their multiplayer capabilities. If you're looking for single player, then yeah, look elsewhere. Making a tough AI for board games like this isn't easy, and so to build a whole campaign around that would be quite a lot of work. These are $5 games. The games are so much fun to play async that most people are fine with just that anyway:)

If anyone else has Pudding Monsters-any tips on getting the Puddingzilla achievement? Seems impossible...

Nope. I figured that is just finding the right level to do it on...

I am disappointed in Pudding Monsters. I'm a big fan of Cut the Rope, but this seems like just another 3-star style game that there are millions of already.

PittaGAF

Hey hey, that game is awesome! Unless you are doubting it will make it out. It's very pick up and play, yet also is a game you can sit there playing constantly. Plus it will control like a dream on iOS.

Eh I know, I have it on XBOX360...stopped playing because I want it on my iPad.
Since they announced it ('soon'...LOL it was summer) we haven't heard anything and they do not even seem to care.
I really can't wait to play it but I fear a iaps burdened app.
I wish they handed it to Capybara.
Same as Ghost Recon.

Regarding Grimrock I'm honest...I hoped to see it sooner and that the team didn't changed plans to get editors and other things out for the PC version before the iPad one...but I can't really blame them wanting to monetize better the game and use the (well deserved) success of the PC version.
I do not know how it will translate on iPad (especially the hit/strife/hit combos easy on WASD on PC)...but I can't wait to play it.

HBP

Anyone playing Ravensword have impressions? I have enough FAD credit to get that or Vice City, can't decide.

RedAssedApe

Banned
BG2 + ToB is my top PC RPG ever, ever. Wizardry 8 and Might & Magic VI are close but it still beats them out. I put over 300 hours into it and would rather play them on PC if I'm going to replay them (for many reasons), but I've decided to pick up BG to see how it works on the iPad, and that will help me make my decision about whether to pick up 2 or not when it comes around.

let us know. i'm still skeptical about how this type of game translates to a touch interface.

You do realize you can import your BG1 character in to BG2 (allowing for a higher level and stronger starting character than the default), the story of BG2 is a continuation of BG1, BG1:EE has been remade to use the BG2:ToB engine, so aesthetically this version of BG1 is the same as BG2 will be (you can even use the BG2 kits in BG1 character creation), and playing BG1 first will greatly familiarize you with the game world / rules BG2 throws at you making your BG2 experience more pleasant? Unless you just don't have time, there's no reason to outright dismiss it given you can't even play BG2EE for another year and there isn't exactly a wealth of similar RPGs to play instead on the iPad.

I didn't realize you could import. However, based on the reviews I've read, BG sounds like its a huge game world but there isn't all that much to do in it. Time is also an issue. Work and backlogs. I may pick it up if it drops in price later on. :)

I keep reading that Anomaly Korea is on sale for $.99, and the description even says "special launch price", but it's listed for $2.99. I wanna download it on the cheap while it's available...does anyone know if it'll sell for $.99 if I go ahead and make the purchase?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I keep reading that Anomaly Korea is on sale for $.99, and the description even says "special launch price", but it's listed for $2.99. I wanna download it on the cheap while it's available...does anyone know if it'll sell for $.99 if I go ahead and make the purchase?

They must have screwed up. I wouldn't buy it if it doesn't say 99 cents

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So how is Walking MArs. I'm not sure exactly what type of game it is.
Playing it on Steam it's a 2D exploration game with some easy puzzles in the mix. I don't like that the world is cut up into different screens rather than be completely seamless and I don't think it looks particularly good either but it has decent atmosphere I guess. I don't know if it later gets action elements but yeah. There's generally not much skil involved, you just grab items and throw them in places and jetpack your way around caverns so there's little platforming too, though you sometimes have to time your jetpacking around damaging things like acid dropping from the ceiling. So far it's just ok.

s7evn

How hot is the 5 supposed to get while playing games? Seems like mine gets pretty toasty while playing games lately.

I just finished playing through The Room, it was a pretty fun game. I would recommend it althought it is only 4 levels long, each level is pretty complex though.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Re: Ravensword -

It's solid. Fun. Awkward touch controls. Pretty meh writing. World and character/enemy models look great for iOS. Surprisingly challenging (in a good way). Menu UI is not good.

Overall if I had a gun to my head and was forced to review today (my actual review won't be up until after the break) it would get a positive score, but far from a 5/5. This is the best Elder Scrolls-esque open-world RPG on iOS, but that alone doesn't make it a must-own for everyone.

ParityBit

The Evo materials aren't always the same color, no. But when you're consuming eggs to power-up your monsters they get bonus experience from eggs of the same element, not a requirement though. Also the only good wiki I know is not in English but once you learn the game, with the pages translated you can understand quite a bit. The Touch Arcade thread on the game is really helpful as well.

I sent you an invite! So is there a reason to keep 1 of every type of monster? I run out of room really fast for them

xelios

I sent you an invite! So is there a reason to keep 1 of every type of monster? I run out of room really fast for them

Oops, I may have rejected it earlier not knowing it was yours, so you'll have to send it again, sorry. Or just PM me your ID on there.

Nah there's no reason to keep one of every monster. Feed them to the ones you will actually use or when the cost/benefit ratio of more common monsters gets too high to do that just sell them. Use metal dragons for experience, keep some rarer evo materials on hand if you want (masks, dragon fruit, plants etc.) and I'd recommend expanding your box up to at least 60-75 eventually. The game will give you plenty of stones over time and each one will add 5 to your monster limit.

It's solid. Fun. Awkward touch controls. Pretty meh writing. World and character/enemy models look great for iOS. Surprisingly challenging (in a good way). Menu UI is not good.

Overall if I had a gun to my head and was forced to review today (my actual review won't be up until after the break) it would get a positive score, but far from a 5/5. This is the best Elder Scrolls-esque open-world RPG on iOS, but that alone doesn't make it a must-own for everyone.

can you expand on this 'challenging' part? btw: how is combat? Is it action or more... dice rollish like Oblivion/skyrim?

How does it compare to Aralon? That's the only open-world RPG I've played from them...never tried the RavenSword series.

lucius

Would like to have some more of Square Enix's games for iOS, but their whole iOS strategy is BS so I don't want to support them really until they start putting out universal apps with reasonable prices.

Would like to have some more of Square Enix's games for iOS, but their whole iOS strategy is BS so I don't want to support them really until they start putting out universal apps with reasonable prices.

Stuff like Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger really need to be Universal.

Not that I care, but still.

luvcraft

Neo Member
So how is Walking MArs. I'm not sure exactly what type of game it is.

I played v1.0 and liked it; it was like a very low-threat version of Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. Lots of harvesting seeds from one type of plant to feed to another type of plant to get it to do a special thing sorts of puzzles. I haven't tried v2.0 yet, and I hear it changes the game completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom