• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJavonta

Banned
Did this happen in a starbucks?

Does it matter? The point of it was that the control scheme doesn't matter to most people, as long as it works well enough.

I agree. Although I much prefer tactile buttons to virtual buttons, if I feel I can play well enough with virtual buttons I'll settle for it. (except in the case of Mikey Shorts where I did much better with my Wiimote than the vpad/buttons)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does it matter? The point of it was that the control scheme doesn't matter to most people
I think the point of it was that one kid didn't mind and how, um, fun that fact is. Market research via friend's kid to prove a point to GAF, fun stuff. From what we know of sales "most" people seem to play games not built around virtual buttons on iOS.

heringer

I think the point of it was that one kid didn't mind and how, um, fun that fact is. Market research via friend's kid to prove a point to GAF, fun stuff. From what we know of sales "most" people seem to play games not built around virtual buttons on iOS.

Geez. No need to get defensive. I wasn't really trying to prove any point because of one kid.

Obviously physical buttons are better. It's just curious how kids can deal with this much better than old ass gamers, and that he was even puzzled by the fact I was making a distinction between physical and virtual burtons. Of course, he knew it was different, but it just wasn't a big deal to him. It's also obvious that some kids won't react the same way. Wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

GeekyDad

Geez. No need to get defensive. I wasn't really trying to prove any point because of one kid.

Obviously physical buttons are better. It's just curious how kids can deal with this much better than old ass gamers, and that he was even puzzled by the fact I was making a distinction between physical and virtual burtons. Of course, he knew it was different, but it just wasn't a big deal to him. It's also obvious that some kids won't react the same way. Wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

I totally get your point, dude. I've been gaming since I was about 6-years old, and I remember folks saying Atari 2600 was a fad and that arcades weren't going anywhere. As kids, we adapted to whatever it was our parents could afford and buy us. For my mom, an Atari 2600 made more sense than giving us $5 a day each (in the 70s) to go blow money in an hour at the arcade. The graphics were shit and the control gave you a blister on your thumb, but we didn't give two shits -- we adapted.

When I see the proliferation of mobile devices now and read how Gaffers stubbornly cling to the idea that 3DS and Vita (and dedicated portable gaming devices in general) are okay -- "they're not going anywhere" -- I laugh.

Hell, when I first got my iPhone last December, I bitched and moan (see the old thread) about games that forced virtual sticks and buttons. I've already adapted for the most part, and it's not even much of a consideration anymore. Haven't touched my 3DS since RE Revelations.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

I think you still have room to be a bit more condescending. Keep at it.

Ranger X

Hell, when I first got my iPhone last December, I bitched and moan (see the old thread) about games that forced virtual sticks and buttons. I've already adapted for the most part, and it's not even much of a consideration anymore. Haven't touched my 3DS since RE Revelations.

Pretty much the same scenario for me. My Ipod4 took all my DS, 3DS and PSP game time and while I bitched alot about "displayed controls" I did adapt somehow (well, some games have shite controls of course but that's another matter). And I think people in the 30s and up CAN adapt like a kid. It's just that our "fuck off switch" is trigerred way more easily cause we've seen alot and sometimes we have something else to do. And we bitch and moan. We love that.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
And I think people in the 30s and up CAN adapt like a kid. It's just that our "fuck off switch" is trigerred way more easily cause we've seen alot and sometimes we have something else to do. And we bitch and moan. We love that.

33 here, and I totally agree. I let my buddy borrow my 360 months ago and I can't be arsed to go get it back. I'm so satisfied with my limited gaming time on my iPod touch that I really see no need for anything else.

Heck, the iPod Touch 5 reveal got me all hot like a console reveal would have back in the day.

Fun fact happened today. I saw the kid of a friend of mine playing Pro Evolution Soccer on the iPad. He had a 3DS on his lap, curiously, with a cart of Pro Evolution Soccer too. He is about 7.

I asked him why he was playing the iPad instead of the 3DS. He said the screen was bigger and prettier, so he liked better. I asked then if he didn't mind the lack of buttons, and he looked at me puzzled. He answered "huh, no... why should I? There are buttons here too, look", pointing to virtual buttons. Then I showed him the 3D and he said "yeah, I know, I don't really care". Though to be honest, the 3D in PES is pretty crappy.

Guess some kids don't care all that much. They grow up with touchscreens, so it's second nature to them.

It's a great point that rings very true. I'm 30 and am prob more willing to try out things like touch controls than most my mates and I think they are ok for most things. But kids never fail to amaze me how they adapt. My friends bought a new smart tv with voice control. I'm like "why the fuck would you want voice control on a tv? Pressing a button is so god damn easy" while they agree there kids use voice control without a seconds thought.

Touch controls will get more acceptable as the younger generations grow up having always used them and thinking they are the norm. I prefer my buttons but my opinion matters very little in the grand scheme of things. The phrase "children are our future" rings rather true here.

ToxicAdam

Kids are like little drug addicts. They will consume anything remotely resembling a game if it is near them.

As I speak, my kids are in the other room whooping it up on a Roblox server. I looks absolutely dreadful.

I've seen kids that are obsessed with the Teletubbies. Doesn't mean it's the future of television and we should all stop watching The Wire, though.

Kids are stupid, it's like their thing =P

I've seen kids that are obsessed with the Teletubbies. Doesn't mean it's the future of television and we should all stop watching The Wire, though.

Kids are stupid, it's like their thing =P

Lol. Although that's not the same thing at all really. It's simple about growing up with certain technologies so that they come naturally to you. There are a lot of people out there who play nothing but pc's and can't use a controller if there lives depended on it.

Ranger X

I keep seeing people talk about that game and every time I think they are talking about Guardian Saga. Too bad, more folk should have played Guardian Saga.

Me and you we apparently come from the same era. lol
Guardian Saga was really good. I truly wish to play more Dragon Warrior clones like that (as long as they are well done of course)

ToxicAdam

Lol. Although that's not the same thing at all really. It's simple about growing up with certain technologies so that they come naturally to you. There are a lot of people out there who play nothing but pc's and can't use a controller if there lives depended on it.

Eh, they can use a controller, just not one with 10-14 active inputs on it. That's one of the reason's why the Wii was such a success.

I guess that's probably the thinking behind the WiiU. It's trying to create a happy medium of touch/traditional simple control to appeal to the widest audience.

Eh, they can use a controller, just not one with 10-14 active inputs on it. That's one of the reason's why the Wii was such a success.

And yet my 6yo is the complete opposite. He hates the Wii controller, but loves the Xbox one. The Wii Controller is actually a real barrier to entry for him gaming on it.

Number45

I can't stop playing Phoenix HD. I suck at it though... managed to get the top spot in my "city" (town), but I'm so far below the UK #1. :(

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Anyone here a Monster Flip expert? I cannot figure out puzzle 3-2 "Hallways" in 7 moves. It's impossible!

The guys went back for you and fished this out

Code:
(Key: 1=Blue, 2=Brown, 3=Pink, 4=Tan, 5=White)

Starting state
xxxx0
xxxx0

Move 1
xxxx0
xxxx0

Move 2
xxxx0
xxxx0

Move 3
xxxx0
xxxx0

Match
xxxx0
xxxx0

Move 4
xxxx5
xxxx5

Move 5
xxxx5
xxxx5

Move 6
xxxx5
xxxx5

Match
xxxx0
xxxx5

Move 7
xxxx0
xxxx5

Match
xxxx.
xxxx.

You can now sleep easy again :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
(...)
T5DG8.gif

Blue was the secret all along! Thanks for the solution, Mario.

Li Kao

Guys, I recently paused my flawed Ipad 1 gaming and took this opportunity to play some old games on Iphone 4, but I have some questions about it.

- I put some hours on Galaxy on fire 1, but after a not very successful google search I'm left wondering : are the few first missions the only storyline missions in the game ? Is the only written part of the game ending with the death and vengeance part ? Really nothing at all to expect ?

- I also retried Zenonia, and as the virtual controls are obviously a cheap attempt at destroying all life on earth, I'm wondering if it has been reworked in the sequels ? And I read some harsh comments on the Iap in the serie, is it that bad ?
It's in no way a masterpiece but the first one has it's moments, it would be sad if the serie has gone down the drain through Iap hell.

Code:
(Key: 1=Blue, 2=Brown, 3=Pink, 4=Tan, 5=White)

Starting state
xxxx0
xxxx0

Move 1
xxxx0
xxxx0

Move 2
xxxx0
xxxx0

Move 3
xxxx0
xxxx0

Match
xxxx0
xxxx0

Move 4
xxxx5
xxxx5

Move 5
xxxx5
xxxx5

Move 6
xxxx5
xxxx5

Match
xxxx0
xxxx5

Move 7
xxxx0
xxxx5

Match
xxxx.
xxxx.

A thousand blessings upon you and your home. Pik pok fan for life!!

Concept17

I'm currently working on a 3D tower defense game for iOS. I was wondering what your guys' favorite TD games are, and favorite 3d games in general? I'm not super familiar with the current offerings. (i actually don't own anything apple atm)

Also - are sales figures often released, and if so, what is considered successful?

I'm currently working on a 3D tower defense game for iOS. I was wondering what your guys' favorite TD games are, and favorite 3d games in general? I'm not super familiar with the current offerings. (i actually don't own anything apple atm)

Also - are sales figures often released, and if so, what is considered successful?

No tower defense game has captured my interest like Defense Grid in terms of a graphically complex game. That being said, Desktop Tower Defense 1.5 (it's 2d) is my all time favorite TD game just because of it's simple elegance and feel.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I was really into GeoDefense but ended up getting stuck on a level I just couldn't get past and gave up.

Was spending a lot of time playing The Creeps at one point too. Great game. Then an update killed my save file and I lost all progress, and I never went back to it.

Also - are sales figures often released

No. Very rarely, at least relative to the amount of titles out there. Think the GeoDefense guy released some of his sales though. Did a GDC talk on it too which is probably floating around.

and if so, what is considered successful?

Making more money than you spent. 99% of iOS games won't achieve this.

xJavonta

Banned
It was just a callback to this thread.
Didn't see that, thanks.

It's a great point that rings very true. I'm 30 and am prob more willing to try out things like touch controls than most my mates and I think they are ok for most things. But kids never fail to amaze me how they adapt. My friends bought a new smart tv with voice control. I'm like "why the fuck would you want voice control on a tv? Pressing a button is so god damn easy" while they agree there kids use voice control without a seconds thought.

Touch controls will get more acceptable as the younger generations grow up having always used them and thinking they are the norm. I prefer my buttons but my opinion matters very little in the grand scheme of things. The phrase "children are our future" rings rather true here.
I love that the younger generations adapt and accept new tech. It's what keeps the industry moving forward. If everyone just said "but doing this is already easy enough" (not calling you out) then I don't think we'd ever get anywhere. Whenever I use my Xbox, I tend to navigate using my Kinect more often than my controller and now it's a natural thing.

Zzoram

The Tribez vs Smurf Village, which is better? What are the best free or cheap time management games with a lot of variety and progression in that style?

hi all

so the studio I'm working with is nearing completion of our first game, a single-player sci-fi shooter for iPad, running on Unreal.

527607_4166088143081_23683110_n.jpg

We've only shown it to a few folks, so far - in the interest of getting some 'real-world' exposure I wanted to see if anyone's interested in kicking the tires. All you need is:
  • a second or third generation iPad
  • a little extra time and an interest in helping us make (what we feel is) a good game, better - candid criticism is great, but the constructive kind's even better
If you think you'd be interested, PM me with your email and a word or two about what games you like/have been playing... It's shaping up to be pretty punishing, so serious shooter and shmup fans' feedback is especially welcome!

thanks in advance (and apologies if this is all a little vague - trying to steer clear of shameless self-promotion)

GeekyDad

Kingdom Rush is pretty much the pinnacle of TD games for me.

DodgerSan

Something that rarely gets mentioned, but is one of my personal favourites, is Tower Madness. The graphics aren't the greatest, but the variety of towers different upgrades and enemy types plus the endless modes make it one that I keep coming back to.

Hey Mario-want to help me one more time? :)

So I'm playing Tap Dragon Drop-and on Toothless-I have 3 stars on every level EXCEPT "The Great Storm" Level 12. You need to finish it in 12 moves...but I can't do it in less than 13. The problem is getting the 2 sheep in the upper left to fall down without dying...I can place the wooden plank down so they can land safely-but that uses up a turn-and I'm sure it's one turn too many...is there any other way to safely get those sheep to fall without dying...

heringer

So, this was just submitted to Apple. Another Pokemon clone, but this one seems to be more robust.

417359_10151153784293788_563751727_n.jpg

ZENFORMS: Protectors is currently in review with Apple, but hopefully will be on sale soon. It will be $1.99 / €1.59. The game will be updated for free once you've purchased the game often. Each "big" version number (example: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3) will add new content, continue your branching storyline, more maps for you to explore, more features, and even more ZENFORMS!

This is the launch trailer for Version 1.0
It shows off how you can create a custom character right away, make choices that will branch your events, and battling ZENFORMS!

If you are a new fan to the game, be sure to look for the "GUIDES" threads here:
http://www.calisprojects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2
They will explain what makes this game different, fun, and special!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4_uhh_q5emA

A big thanks to everyone who supported the project while it was in development!

Have fun with this game when released.

A little foot note:
Thank you to everyone who said congrats to me. This game is 2 years in the making. I began developing the game in 2010. I've been a paid developer with Apple for 3 years and this is my first game! I'm not looking to cash in on a genre! I'm making this game because I love the world I've created, and enjoy the gameplay! I've spent hours just writing the myths and history of this game.
Remember the storyline might seem short in Version 1.0, but the game will be updates for free- often - adding more to the game!

To any one who donated enough to the project during development to earn a promo code, I'll email you using the address you used to donate under when I can generate the codes (most likely day of release).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom