• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazele

Banned
Nobody else playing Dragon Island Blue? I really like it, scratch the Pokemon itch well enough.

I'm playing it, definitely not a Pokemon ripoff, and there's going to be an update soon that will indicate if you've caught a monster before (which is annoying) and some other fixes.

Zenomorphs or whatever looks interesting, definitely more Pokemon-like, but I have no problem with being like Pokemon as long as you're not stealing assets or not putting some unique ideas in there.

I love it when someone tells me when and where I'm supposed to play a certain type of game.

You realize you're allowed to refute my argument, right? I don't really think it's that farfetched to assume the DQ games weren't intended to be played 5 mins at a time, do you?

Tobor

You realize you're allowed to refute my argument, right? I don't really think it's that farfetched to assume the DQ games weren't intended to be played 5 mins at a time, do you?

I think it's ridiculous to assume I can't or wouldnt want to play a game on my iPhone or iPad for more than 5 minutes.

I think it's ridiculous to assume I can't or wouldnt want to play a game on my iPhone or iPad for more than 5 minutes.

It is ridiculous to assume that.

I play on my iphone or pad for hours sometimes. But not while I'm out. Get the difference? If DQ came out for iOS AND if I did buy it, I'd play it at home. Which means I probably wouldn't buy it since I can play it on the DS instead. Real buttons and all, you know?

That said, I think it's about damn time Apple starts working on some decent controller support for the Pad. There's a shitload of games I'm not buying that I would buy if the iPad had controller support.

Double+Face+Palm.jpg

Tobor

It is ridiculous to assume that.

I play on my iphone or pad for hours sometimes. But not while I'm out. Get the difference? If DQ came out for iOS AND if I did buy it, I'd play it at home. Which means I probably wouldn't buy it since I can play it on the DS instead. Real buttons and all, you know?

That said, I think it's about damn time Apple starts working on some decent controller support for the Pad. There's a shitload of games I'm not buying that I would buy if the iPad had controller support.

Not everyone owns or wants to own a DS. I dumped mine years ago.

None of this really matters, because Dragon Quest has not been announced for iOS. However, I welcome any game of that type and length on any system a developer chooses.

It's a good thing Dragon Quest has never been released on mobile before.

Not that it means anything but those sucked hard. Which is irrelevant since modern smartphones are ages ahead of those old mobile releases, in potential. I just don't think it makes that much sense to play such a meaty type of game while out. But I can see this is going nowhere. No wonder the rest of GAF hates us.

You're doing it wrong.

Lol wut? When I'm out I'm either working, hanging out with friends/the gf or just taking a leisure stroll. Why the hell whould I be playing games while out? oO

Not everyone owns or wants to own a DS. I dumped mine years ago.

None of this really matters, because Dragon Quest has not been announced for iOS. However, I welcome any game of that type and length on any system a developer chooses.

I'll welcome it too, as soon as controller support is a reality.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Hey Mario-want to help me one more time? :)

So I'm playing Tap Dragon Drop-and on Toothless-I have 3 stars on every level EXCEPT "The Great Storm" Level 12. You need to finish it in 12 moves...but I can't do it in less than 13. The problem is getting the 2 sheep in the upper left to fall down without dying...I can place the wooden plank down so they can land safely-but that uses up a turn-and I'm sure it's one turn too many...is there any other way to safely get those sheep to fall without dying...

Ok. So the response I got was -

Steps to beat The Great Storm, level 12

1. Break the “breakable bridge” near where toothless starts
2. Scare the single sheep on the platform to make him go left and activate the switch
3. Scare the 2 sheep on the platform to the right to make them go through the open gate
4. Smash the “breakable bridge” by the statue
5. Pick up the rock
6. Put the rock on the switch by the drawbridge
7. Break the statue
8. Pick up the log
9. Put the log over the gap where the breakable bridge was
10. Scare all the sheep to the right – they will stop near the rock
11. Pick up the rock
12. Scare the sheep toward the Viking ship

People who don't understand iOS gaming?

You think that's why they hate us? They hate us because of the arrogance.

And when we get down to it, I'd say most people here don't understand iOS gaming's potential, considering their support of concepts that clearly aren't functional with the platform's limitations. Touch controls should require touch based control schemes, not virtual analog buttons. More Osmos and Eliss type games and less Final Fantasy and GTA games.

Tobor

And when we get down to it, I'd say most people here don't understand iOS gaming's potential, considering their support of concepts that clearly aren't functional with the platform's limitations. Touch controls should require touch based control schemes, not virtual analog buttons. More Osmos and Eliss type games and less Final Fantasy and GTA games.

Let me get this straight. You're telling us we don't understand iOS's potential, and we're arrogant?

Ok. Lol.

Fusebox

Banned
Lol wut? When I'm out I'm either working, hanging out with friends/the gf or just taking a leisure stroll. Why the hell whould I be playing games while out? oO

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. I said you should play games for hours when you're at work or hanging with friends or going for a stroll. You sure got me there.

Let me get this straight. You're telling us we don't understand iOS's potential, and we're arrogant?

Ok. Lol.

I'm not telling you you're anything. When I write "I'd say" it means it's my opinion. Not a fact.

Anyway, for all effects and purposes, I'm one of you and have been for the last 4 years. And yes, we're an extremely arrogant community. Terribly so. Your post just illustrates it further. When you choose to consciently misrepresent what the other poster's said just so you can make a subtle joke and get some internet macho credits what exact purpose does it serve other than perpetuating the stereotype of the self serving apple troll the rest of the community assumes we are? We're getting dangerously close to becoming like the PC Master Race.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. I said you should play games for hours when you're at work or hanging with friends or going for a stroll. You sure got me there.

You said I was doing it wrong for playing meaty iOS stuff at home. What did it mean if it didn't mean I should be playing them while I'm out? That I shouldn't be playing meaty iOS stuff at all?

Fusebox

Banned
You said I was doing it wrong for playing meaty iOS stuff at home. What did it mean if it didn't mean I should be playing them while I'm out? That I shouldn't be playing meaty iOS stuff at all?

No, I said you're wrong for ONLY playing "meaty" iOS stuff at home and then trying to project your own personal weird limitations onto the rest of us. You're douching this thread up pretty hard, you do realise that yeah?

Doublepost. Nvmd.
Can we just Nvmd this whole stupid conversation? This is a pretty awesome thread for discussing current iOS games and sales. Who cares that you don't like virtual buttons? Who cares that some other jerk does?

Talk about some current games that you're enjoying instead. Let us know about one that perhaps most people have overlooked.

Your arguments are boring. Talk about Super Hexagon instead. That's not boring.

Tobor

Can we just Nvmd this whole stupid conversation? This is a pretty awesome thread for discussing current iOS games and sales. Who cares that you don't like virtual buttons? Who cares that some other jerk does?

Talk about some current games that you're enjoying instead. Let us know about one that perhaps most people have overlooked.

Yes, it's obviously a waste of time. I'm busy paying Borderlands 2 anyway.

No, I said you're wrong for ONLY playing "meaty" iOS stuff at home and then trying to project your own personal weird limitations onto the rest of us. You're douching this thread up pretty hard, you do realise that yeah?

I apologize then.

But just so I can understand you clearly, where else do you suggest I play meaty iOS stuff if not at home? Oo They need more time than the 6-7 min gaps of "boring" time in everyday life, no?

Totally disagree with it being an awesome thread, I've spent way too much money I shouldn't have because people here get overly excited over very mediocre games and constantly recommend average games. But I guess you're right about the rest.

Current games I'm enjoying? Yeah I guess Super Hexagon is kinda ok. The game over voice needs to be fixed and I press the wrong side of the screen too many times (game's a bit disorienting, lol) but it's fun for what it is.

Puzzlecraft sucks. That's it for recent games, for me.

Ok. So the response I got was -

Steps to beat The Great Storm, level 12

1. Break the “breakable bridge” near where toothless starts
2. Scare the single sheep on the platform to make him go left and activate the switch
3. Scare the 2 sheep on the platform to the right to make them go through the open gate
4. Smash the “breakable bridge” by the statue
5. Pick up the rock
6. Put the rock on the switch by the drawbridge
7. Break the statue
8. Pick up the log
9. Put the log over the gap where the breakable bridge was
10. Scare all the sheep to the right – they will stop near the rock
11. Pick up the rock
12. Scare the sheep toward the Viking ship

Thanks, Mario - I truly appreciate you checking this. I suspected this is the solution. However, the problem is after step 3-the first sheep won't survive the drop from the switch to the ground. :(

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
I apologize then.

But just so I can understand you clearly, where else do you suggest I play meaty iOS stuff if not at home? Oo They need more time than the 6-7 min gaps of "boring" time in everyday life, no?

Totally disagree with it being an awesome thread, I've spent way too much money I shouldn't have because people here get overly excited over very mediocre games and constantly recommend average games. But I guess you're right about the rest.

Snip

You think this is bad? Stay away from Touch Arcade. That place cost me a ton of money before I realized they where hyping up mediocre,janky garbage. I have put myself on a budget, took my Debit card off my itunes account and now buy about $15 worth of credit per month. My impulse purchasing has almost disappeared.

You think this is bad? Stay away from Touch Arcade. That place cost me a ton of money before I realized they where hyping up mediocre,janky garbage. I have put myself on a budget, took my Debit card off my itunes account and now buy about $15 worth of credit per month. My impulse purchasing has almost disappeared.

Wtf, 15$ per month? Lol, I've spent less than 100$ ever since I've gotten into iOS. And that was 4 years ago. Man... 15$ a month, that's quite a bit!

To be fair, I am from a relatively poor country. Low wages and high prices mean Ihave to control myself way more than you guys.... I gotta gtfo of here lol.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Thanks, Mario - I truly appreciate you checking this. I suspected this is the solution. However, the problem is after step 3-the first sheep won't survive the drop from the switch to the ground. :(

Hmmm

"The method is working for me every time. However looking at it now there, the sheep only just touch the ground at the bottom next to the switch, so there may be a physics bug where they don’t touch the ground and end up falling too far and dying. However, it’s worked 5/5 times for me on a ipod touch 4."

?

Hmmm

"The method is working for me every time. However looking at it now there, the sheep only just touch the ground at the bottom next to the switch, so there may be a physics bug where they don’t touch the ground and end up falling too far and dying. However, it’s worked 5/5 times for me on a ipod touch 4."

?
I'm on a 4s. I'll try to make a video and post it.

EDIT:
Of COURSE the time I go to record it -it works just fine! I got 3 stars finally-however I swear that every other time the poor sheep fell to their doom!!

Ranger X

What the hell is this thread pollution??

Can't you people just play your damn consoles and phones the way you want and leave people that are different than you alone?
Some people (including me) can't give a rat's ass about portability and they buy platforms only to be able to play certain games. I bought an Ipod4 so I could access to IOS games. It's rare I play on the go, most my Ipod time is at home simply because most of my gaming time is at home.

I hope this discussion can end and that you guys continue to point out specials and free games instead.

Chinner

Banned
i agree with oxygen waste, ios is the worst gaming device ever made. i prefer carrying my nintendo 3DS™ in my fanny pack. if you like fart apps and IAPs then iOS surely is the best gaming platform, but if you want real and true gaming experiences™ then i suggest you go to gamestop and get yourself a nintendo 3DS™.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How long before Square Enix puts Dragon Quest on the IOS store? I'm tired of playing the DQ clones and FF games at the moment. Anybody know good JRPG's in the store similar to Dragon Quest first person JRPG.

Have you tried Dragon Fantasy? It's very early-DQ inspired, very funny and is a nice game all round.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ah, so you're the infamous Wario64.

Anyway, there's nothing convenient about virtual buttons, much easier to carry a ds with you on your briefcase, backpack whatever.

---------------------

Just tried Gunman Clive. An awesome game released on the wrong platform. Those virtual buttons completely ruin the game for me. Will surely double dip on steam or 3ds or come back to it whenever ipad gets controller support of some kind.

Prediction: with that attitude your time here will not go well. Most of us are over the 'lolvirtualbuttons' phase and can play stuff just fine with them. It's only the lunatic fringe who keep beating this dead horse. I completed Bastion with the virtual buttons, scores of platformers and adventure games and RPGs. And Gunman Clive too. It's good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

This is ridiculous. Mobile gaming is not just for when you have 5 mins to kill or are waiting in line. I have an hour commute both ways, mobile games (for me, iPad since I always carry a bag) are a fantastic way to kill an hour. RPGs and adventure games are perfect for this timescale. And, personally, I kinda prefer virtual buttons since then I can hold the device in two hands rather than laying it flat like a lot of a tap-to-move games.

And also, I do a significant portion of my iOS gaming in my house, on my sofa curled up with the iPad. Times like that I like a longer experience too.

Your arguments are ridiculous and have been refuted by most of us years ago.

Us? It doesn't sound like you're one of us here at all. But if you post in other threads so arrogantly I can see why people would have a problem with you for sure.

Games are games dude. If I can play a game with vbuttons and have fun with it then it's a success. I enjoyed the experience, had a fun dozen hours, that's great. Just because you don't like them it doesn't mean they don't work for everyone. As I said above, I don't really like adventure/RPG games with a purely touch interface since they're really hard to play with two hands - you need to have the iPad laid flat on a desk or soemthing, it's not really portable friendly. My favourite games are the ones where I hold the device like a book, thumbs in the screen hitting buttons. It just works.

dock

Any story based RPGs for fans of chrono trigger, the world ends with you, etc? My friend is hurting for RPGs, ideally Japanese style with a decent story to grind ratio.

I found myself avoiding recommending Triple Town to someone today because I know they have a compulsive personality and I worry they'd fall foul to the IAP 'pay to win' hooks. Has anyone else found themselves in this situation?

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Any story based RPGs for fans of chrono trigger, the world ends with you, etc? My friend is hurting for RPGs, ideally Japanese style with a decent story to grind ratio.

I found myself avoiding recommending Triple Town to someone today because I know they have a compulsive personality and I worry they'd fall foul to the IAP 'pay to win' hooks. Has anyone else found themselves in this situation?

My wife made me stop showing her new games cause once she gets hooked she can't stop playing. She played Monsters Ate My Condo for like 4 hours a day for a month. She hasn't seen Super Hexagon yet...

Prediction: with that attitude your time here will not go well. Most of us are over the 'lolvirtualbuttons' phase and can play stuff just fine with them. It's only the lunatic fringe who keep beating this dead horse. I completed Bastion with the virtual buttons, scores of platformers and adventure games and RPGs. And Gunman Clive too. It's good.

My time here will not go well? I've been here for more than 2 years and the iOS threads are where more than 50% of my posts are... this is the first "conflict" I've ever had inside these threads.

Yeah, if you can't see the difference in percision between playing Bastion on the Pad or with a controller, it's just denial. I understand playing TWEWY on the Pad, but Bastion? It's a crime. As for Gunman Clive, I tried to love it, hell I did love it! It's just not on the right platform. But I just kept misdirecting the poor guy. You have no indication of where your finger is other than by looking at it to make sure it's in the right place, and that completely breaks the flow of the game, which in a megaman style game is essential.

The "lolvirtualbuttons" isn't a phase. It's a completely undeniable fact that virtual buttons are less reliable and much less precise. They're usable, sure, but I'd much rather not use them if there are other options. This is like watching the xbox fanboys defending the 360 dpad (although apart from that it IS my favourite controller), it's a clearly inferior interface whose functionality is only accepted within the circle jerk that is iOS GAF. Try making a GAF-wide poll, since this forum is the ideal sample population of the gaming community as a whole, and you'll see where the gaming community stands on the subject. Why do you guys deny it? It's undeniably inferior. BUT, ultimately, irrelevant since it's up to each individual wether or not to suffer through it.

This is ridiculous. Mobile gaming is not just for when you have 5 mins to kill or are waiting in line. I have an hour commute both ways, mobile games (for me, iPad since I always carry a bag) are a fantastic way to kill an hour. RPGs and adventure games are perfect for this timescale. And, personally, I kinda prefer virtual buttons since then I can hold the device in two hands rather than laying it flat like a lot of a tap-to-move games.

I understand having some games on the iPad or iOS that are good to play on the go for 4 or 5 minutes while you're in the subway or waiting in line or whatever, but meaty experiences like DQ are something you do at home unless you're commuting for upwards of an hour on a daily basis.

See those underlined parts? Yeah. Reading what someone has said before attacking them is common courtesy, no?

And also, I do a significant portion of my iOS gaming in my house, on my sofa curled up with the iPad. Times like that I like a longer experience too.

Your arguments are ridiculous and have been refuted by most of us years ago.

80% of my iOS gaming is done either in bed or in the sofa just like you. And I love it. I don't see what that has to do with what I said before.

What do you mean my arguments are ridiculous? Unless long commute is an issue (which only applies to less than 10% of the population since 90% of commuters do so from less than 10 miles away), when in the hell are people going to be in a scenario where the iPad as it is now is the preferable platform to play something like Dragon Quest? People who would pick up Dragon Quest on iOS will most likely already have a portable that has the capacity to play those same games, so why would they play with worse controls? For the graphics? I get it if you're commuting or otherwise regularly have large intervals of time to fill during everyday life, but for the majority of people, that doesn't really apply, does it? And that was my point.

Of course, as soon as the Pad has implemnted controller support, it'll automatically become my go to platform for whatever games it can handle. Hope it doesn't take long.

Us? It doesn't sound like you're one of us here at all. But if you post in other threads so arrogantly I can see why people would have a problem with you for sure.

Games are games dude. If I can play a game with vbuttons and have fun with it then it's a success. I enjoyed the experience, had a fun dozen hours, that's great. Just because you don't like them it doesn't mean they don't work for everyone. As I said above, I don't really like adventure/RPG games with a purely touch interface since they're really hard to play with two hands - you need to have the iPad laid flat on a desk or soemthing, it's not really portable friendly. My favourite games are the ones where I hold the device like a book, thumbs in the screen hitting buttons. It just works.

I agree with one thing: the Pad feels better held vertically. Much better. Don't really understand why they insist on making so many original horizontal titles that could easily be vertical.

As for the rest, yeah, as long as you have fun, all's well, I guess. I didn't intend for this to turn into an all-out-war.

ALSO, and this has been eating at me for the longest time, but where is your avatar (the original, without the plastered face) from? Evertyime I see it, it's strangely familiar but I can never remember where it's from. Care to enlighten me?

SmokyDave

Every day I wake up and check for Ghost Recon. Every day I'm disappointed :(

My time here will not go well? I've been here for more than 2 years and the iOS threads are where more than 50% of my posts are... this is the first "conflict" I've ever had inside these threads.

Given the archaic nature of your arguments, this genuinely surprises me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
*sigh*

In that case, I've simply never noticed you before. Perhaps you should go back to being uncontroversial? :p

Yeah, if you can't see the difference in percision between playing Bastion on the Pad or with a controller, it's just denial. I understand playing TWEWY on the Pad, but Bastion? It's a crime. As for Gunman Clive, I tried to love it, hell I did love it! It's just not on the right platform. But I just kept misdirecting the poor guy. You have no indication of where your finger is other than by looking at it to make sure it's in the right place, and that completely breaks the flow of the game, which in a megaman style game is essential.

I can see the difference but here's the rub - it had literally no effect on how the game played for me. I didn't die because of hitting the wrong button. I didn't fall off the world. I got first prize in all the weapon challenges. I am fully used to vbuttons, it's not an issue. I completed GTA3 and CW on this thing, I played 50 hours of Mission Europa ffs, I can do this. Same as with Gunman Clive - the game was very hard in places but I did not feel it was because of the controls, it was just a challenging game. I very rarely have to double check thumb placement. After a little while, my thumb knows where the directions are and I barely give it a second thought.

The "lolvirtualbuttons" isn't a phase. It's a completely undeniable fact that virtual buttons are less reliable and much less precise. They're usable, sure, but I'd much rather not use them if there are other options. This is like watching the xbox fanboys defending the 360 dpad (although apart from that it IS my favourite controller), it's a clearly inferior interface whose functionality is only accepted within the circle jerk that is iOS GAF. Try making a GAF-wide poll, since this forum is the ideal sample population of the gaming community as a whole, and you'll see where the gaming community stands on the subject. Why do you guys deny it? It's undeniably inferior. BUT, ultimately, irrelevant since it's up to each individual wether or not to suffer through it.

You're extending how you feel about these controls and making it an objective fact and it's not. This whole argument has echoes of MKB vs controllers back in the day. Yes, there are degrees of accuracy but a competent player can adjust to this, and a good developer can find the perfect controls for their game. Take Bastion for example. If that game had a static circular pad it would have been a nightmare. Instead they use a small, dynamic and responsive 'stick' that works perfectly. No needing to centre, no pressing the wrong direction. It's all about implimentation.

And polling the rest of GAF would be an exercise in futility since most people, like you, are plain wrong on how these controls work. There is skill involved and it's a skill most can't be bothered to develop and so they just bitch obnoxiously about it, thinking that what applies to one applies to all.

80% of my iOS gaming is done either in bed or in the sofa just like you. And I love it. I don't see what that has to do with what I said before.

What do you mean my arguments are ridiculous? Unless long commute is an issue (which only applies to less than 10% of the population since 90% of commuters do so from less than 10 miles away), when in the hell are people going to be in a scenario where the iPad as it is now is the preferable platform to play something like Dragon Quest? People who would pick up Dragon Quest on iOS will most likely already have a portable that has the capacity to play those same games, so why would they play with worse controls? For the graphics? I get it if you're commuting or otherwise regularly have large intervals of time to fill during everyday life, but for the majority of people, that doesn't really apply, does it? And that was my point.

Of course, as soon as the Pad has implemnted controller support, it'll automatically become my go to platform for whatever games it can handle. Hope it doesn't take long.

But by this logic, what's the point in any portable game system having long games? Before I had an iPad I took my DS on the bus, and I would also play it at home. Same deal. And I would play a DQ game on my iPad rather than DS in a heartbeat. Bigger, nicer screen? Yeah, thanks!

In fact, I'm playing FF6 on my iPad at the moment both on my commute and at home (having completed Earthbound a little while ago too). I have a wiimote to play with if I want it but on the bus it's easier to use the dpad. These 2D RPGS are perfect portable games. You totally can play them for five minutes or an hour, the controls are simple as hell and could very easily be adapted to a touch interface (see Dragon Fantasy) and the pixel art looks lovely on the big screen. The DS used to be a purely JRPG machine for me, and I would very happily move that title over to my iPad if more games were released on it.

So really, if you're comfortable with DQ games on DS, then there should be no issue with them on the iPad. It's not like they're particularly dextrous in what you have to do with the buttons at all. I can see a Mario game not working (I tried it, holding run and jump is almost impossible), but JRPGs are almost designed for these devices.

Also, DQ iOS would certainly be a lot cheaper than a DS version.

ALSO, and this has been eating at me for the longest time, but where is your avatar (the original, without the plastered face) from? Evertyime I see it, it's strangely familiar but I can never remember where it's from. Care to enlighten me?

It's from the comic WE3 by Morrison/Quitely. A must read.

I need some advice with Kingdom Rush, forsaken valley. What should I be building? I just get utterly swamped around wave 12.

Can't really remember the level, but upgraded mage towers (disintegrators) and barracks to slow people down works in pretty much every level.

As for knocking ios, I'm guessing in a month or so the "lol no buttons no games" crowd will move onto the wiiu as the new whipping boy. Should be pretty safe to enjoy soon.

SeanR1221

Jetpack joyride update with....ccccccccccloud support!

I've been waiting for this day. Oh what a glorious day it is! I've already played the game for 24 hours on my phone, let's see how long I'll play it on my iPad.

SmokyDave

I played 50 hours of Mission Europa ffs

You really do deserve some sort of official recognition for this. I'm gonna try and get you on the next honours list.

Jetpack joyride update with....ccccccccccloud support!

I've been waiting for this day. Oh what a glorious day it is! I've already played the game for 24 hours on my phone, let's see how long I'll play it on my iPad.
I played it for ten minutes the day it came out and then deleted it. Maybe it's time to reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom