• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
*sigh*

In that case, I've simply never noticed you before. Perhaps you should go back to being uncontroversial? :p

I can see the difference but here's the rub - it had literally no effect on how the game played for me. I didn't die because of hitting the wrong button. I didn't fall off the world. I got first prize in all the weapon challenges. I am fully used to vbuttons, it's not an issue. I completed GTA3 and CW on this thing, I played 50 hours of Mission Europa ffs, I can do this. Same as with Gunman Clive - the game was very hard in places but I did not feel it was because of the controls, it was just a challenging game. I very rarely have to double check thumb placement. After a little while, my thumb knows where the directions are and I barely give it a second thought.

You're extending how you feel about these controls and making it an objective fact and it's not. This whole argument has echoes of MKB vs controllers back in the day. Yes, there are degrees of accuracy but a competent player can adjust to this, and a good developer can find the perfect controls for their game. Take Bastion for example. If that game had a static circular pad it would have been a nightmare. Instead they use a small, dynamic and responsive 'stick' that works perfectly. No needing to centre, no pressing the wrong direction. It's all about implimentation.

And polling the rest of GAF would be an exercise in futility since most people, like you, are plain wrong on how these controls work. There is skill involved and it's a skill most can't be bothered to develop and so they just bitch obnoxiously about it, thinking that what applies to one applies to all.

But by this logic, what's the point in any portable game system having long games? Before I had an iPad I took my DS on the bus, and I would also play it at home. Same deal. And I would play a DQ game on my iPad rather than DS in a heartbeat. Bigger, nicer screen? Yeah, thanks!

In fact, I'm playing FF6 on my iPad at the moment both on my commute and at home (having completed Earthbound a little while ago too). I have a wiimote to play with if I want it but on the bus it's easier to use the dpad. These 2D RPGS are perfect portable games. You totally can play them for five minutes or an hour, the controls are simple as hell and could very easily be adapted to a touch interface (see Dragon Fantasy) and the pixel art looks lovely on the big screen. The DS used to be a purely JRPG machine for me, and I would very happily move that title over to my iPad if more games were released on it.

So really, if you're comfortable with DQ games on DS, then there should be no issue with them on the iPad. It's not like they're particularly dextrous in what you have to do with the buttons at all. I can see a Mario game not working (I tried it, holding run and jump is almost impossible), but JRPGs are almost designed for these devices.

Also, DQ iOS would certainly be a lot cheaper than a DS version.

It's from the comic WE3 by Morrison/Quitely. A must read.

You know what, I like you.

Only 2 things:

- the whole "why would anyone play on portables" thing doesn't apply, as the ONE AND ONLY reason this even started was because of having to use virtual buttons if one uses the pad, which isnt an issue with the DSs/PSPs of this world.

- "most people, like you, are plain wrong on how these controls work" how is your attitude any different than mine if you claim we're all wrong because you've found a way to make it work? I/we don't like it and I don't want to get used to it. Ever. Analog controls are beyond reproach. Nobody's ever complained about them, because there is no possible complaint. Movement and touch interfaces, however... work perfectly in some cases and not so well in others, and as such will forever be viewed as an option, as opposed to a standard.

If we're being honest, Apple not releasing a controller is the only thing that's stopping the iPad/Phone from completely beating the 3DS/Vita and dominating the market.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You really do deserve some sort of official recognition for this. I'm gonna try and get you on the next honours list.

ha :D it's definitely the best-worst game I've played. So janky, so buggy, so addictive :D

You know what, I like you.

Only 2 things:

- the whole "why would anyone play on portables" thing doesn't apply, as the ONE AND ONLY reason this even started was because of having to use virtual buttons if one uses the pad, which isnt an issue with the DSs/PSPs of this world.

- "most people, like you, are plain wrong on how these controls work" how is your attitude any different than mine if you claim we're all wrong because you've found a way to make it work? I/we don't like it and I don't want to get used to it. Ever. Analog controls are beyond reproach. Nobody's ever complained about them, because there is no possible complaint. Movement and touch interfaces, however... work perfectly in some cases and not so well in others, and as such will forever be viewed as an option, as opposed to a standard.

If we're being honest, Apple not releasing a controller is the only thing that's stopping the iPad/Phone from completely beating the 3DS/Vita and dominating the market.

That's alright man, it's nothing personal. Fwiends! I think I get defensive about this because we're constantly being told that these controls don't work and that they are crappy and I'm like "hey! wait! I love these games and I had a blast playing them and I kicked ass doing it!" I honestly don't think it's about controls per se, but more about familiarity with said control systems. It takes a little practice but when you're in, you're in. I will of course rage hard against poorly implimented vpads (see my many many rants about bottom-screen controls on iPad, it drives me mad).

I think our attitudes differ in that you are saying "these controls are sub-optimal and I can't have fun with them", essentially a full stop on the argument. Whereas my position is more "try sucking less, they work fine for me". In this binary argument, I can go on to play many games, but if we follow your line of reasoning then many games that I've loved are discounted and thrown out as possibilities.

I think nothing will be perfect with these controls, but you have to understand that there are many of us who find these controls just fine, and we want you to join our club of happy fun times.

Also, analog controls are far from perfect. Give my wife even a NES pad and she will be lost. There are lots of people who can't even get past that hand/eye coordination issue. See what I mean, it's all relative depending on your position!

As for a controller - Wiimote + classic controller + jailbreak + blutrol. You can pay me a finders fee later :D

I realize it's not out yet but the Lunar news has me torn. I have the unopened PSP version in my backlog and have been interested in playing through it again. The remade assets do interest me as I’ve already played through the PSX version.

Yet I know I would play it more if I had an iOS version, even if it's a port of SSSC. I suppose I will wait and see pricing and how well the port was handled.

ToxicAdam

I haven't played/beat Lunar since it came out, but I can't help to think I will be magnificently bored by it. I just think part of it's appeal (in the U.S.) was the fact that it landed at a time when there was an absolute dearth of quality JRPG's (outside of the SNES). Or quality Sega-CD games, for that matter.

I did love the game at the time though.

Any story based RPGs for fans of chrono trigger, the world ends with you, etc? My friend is hurting for RPGs, ideally Japanese style with a decent story to grind ratio.
Ash, but not Ash 2. The story in the first Ash is good and the writing is slightly better than the SNES final fantasies. Overall though I still prefer FF4.

I've only played chapter 1 of Ash 2 and it was a big disappointment. Can anyone who's played Ash 2 confirm that chapter 2 is no better. I'm leaning towards erasing it.

As for a controller - Wiimote + classic controller + jailbreak + blutrol. You can pay me a finders fee later :D

Yeah I know 'bout that trick, but I'm waiting for the warranty to run out on my Pad to jailbreak it, because you know how Apple is with that stuff, and yes I could always restore it before presenting it to them for maintenance, but what if it just stops working completely? Meh, anyway, only 6 months left, lol.

Does it work with everything, though? (Mostly gunman, league of evil 1 & 2, chinatown wars, incoboto)

Zzoram

Lunar SSSC was my first JRPG. After beating it, I went out and bought FFVII.

Lunar on iPad would be nice, assuming the controls don't blow and it's not too expensive.

PittaGAF

The presentation alone in Supermagical is worth a buck. What a cool, little Bust-a-move adventure for the price.

It is a really nice game BUT I warn you of two paywalls.
Make yourself sure you have about 10Kgold when you are about to complete a world.
IE: do not buy ANYTHING but the required objects to proceed (keys and the like).
So...I know it's tempting....do not buy the cool looking rainbow sheep or candies or things like that at the beginning.
You will have plenty of money later...and you will buy everything...but if you do this at the very beginning you will be disappointed by the (imho silly) decision to have a paywall between worlds (read: iap or grind, your choice).
You do not need any extra object before world 3..so keeping in mind this, the game is really nice.
Also make yourself sure to grab every gold bags in every stage and to find the secret level in every world :)

Yeah I know 'bout that trick, but I'm waiting for the warranty to run out on my Pad to jailbreak it, because you know how Apple is with that stuff, and yes I could always restore it before presenting it to them for maintenance, but what if it just stops working completely? Meh, anyway, only 6 months left, lol.

Does it work with everything, though? (Mostly gunman, league of evil 1 & 2, chinatown wars, incoboto)

Wait, what does warranty have to do with jailbreaking?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I'm not entirely sure all the games it'll work with (never used it myself), but I hear that anything with buttons should work. I don't think it works with virtual STICKS though, needs to be a virtual pad. And I'm not sure if it would work with Incoboto at all, that game is totally a fingers game, especially with that slide-up-to-jump mechanic it has. Should work a trick with LoE and Gunman Clive though. Maybe even CTW, yeah.

And jailbreaking is so easy and safe, especially if you're only using a few apps with it. Totally undoable as well.

Shaneus

Welp, finished Puzzle Craft. Don't see there being much more to do in it at all that they could update. And the update to fix the bug where using an item on the far right prevented you from using your leftmost items is STILL unfixed, despite them telling me via Twitter weeks ago that they'd submitted a patch.

What a waste of time that game was :/

Wait, what does warranty have to do with jailbreaking?

If for some reason your iPad just shuts down completely and you're unable to revert it back to non-jailbreak conditions before turning it in for repairs, they will not repair it as they will consider your warranty to be void.

HOWEVER, if you just restore it before turning it in all should be fine. The only problem is if it becomes completely unresponsive and you are not able to restore it. Which is very very rare. So you're good to go, mostly. I just don't really mind waiting a couple more months.

I'm not entirely sure all the games it'll work with (never used it myself), but I hear that anything with buttons should work. I don't think it works with virtual STICKS though, needs to be a virtual pad. And I'm not sure if it would work with Incoboto at all, that game is totally a fingers game, especially with that slide-up-to-jump mechanic it has. Should work a trick with LoE and Gunman Clive though. Maybe even CTW, yeah.

And jailbreaking is so easy and safe, especially if you're only using a few apps with it. Totally undoable as well.

I know it's undoable, but if for some reason it breaks down completely there goes my warranty. Not likely at all, I know, but I like playing it safe, we don't make much money here in my country, so I'll hold onto that warranty as long as I can.

GeekyDad

It is a really nice game BUT I warn you of two paywalls.
Make yourself sure you have about 10Kgold when you are about to complete a world.
IE: do not buy ANYTHING but the required objects to proceed (keys and the like).
So...I know it's tempting....do not buy the cool looking rainbow sheep or candies or things like that at the beginning.
You will have plenty of money later...and you will buy everything...but if you do this at the very beginning you will be disappointed by the (imho silly) decision to have a paywall between worlds (read: iap or grind, your choice).
You do not need any extra object before world 3..so keeping in mind this, the game is really nice.
Also make yourself sure to grab every gold bags in every stage and to find the secret level in every world :)

Good to know. I had read some things, but I wasn't exactly sure what folks were referring to.

HTuran

Just upgraded from a 2G to a 4S.

Wow.

Luckily I've been following this thread for a while, so I now have everything from iOS 4 onwards to enjoy.

Where would be a good place to start with CAVE games? I've always been confused with the different versions of the same games. Also it seems some become obsolete when a Universal version is released.

Clydebink

Neo Member
Anyone know of something like Spelunky for the iphone? Randomly generated levels with progressive difficulty; randomized drops of interesting powerups; the ability to create your own paths at the cost of limited resources; multi-use of the environment (like throwing a rat or a pot to set kill a bat, but then setting off a trap you hadn't noticed).

If for some reason your iPad just shuts down completely and you're unable to revert it back to non-jailbreak conditions before turning it in for repairs, they will not repair it as they will consider your warranty to be void.

HOWEVER, if you just restore it before turning it in all should be fine. The only problem is if it becomes completely unresponsive and you are not able to restore it. Which is very very rare. So you're good to go, mostly. I just don't really mind waiting a couple more months.

I know it's undoable, but if for some reason it breaks down completely there goes my warranty. Not likely at all, I know, but I like playing it safe, we don't make much money here in my country, so I'll hold onto that warranty as long as I can.

if you are that concern about your ipad, I do hope you have it in a thick case atm :p

There is that 1 jb app that lets you 'map virtual buttons' onto icade/wiimote. It does work quite well.

ToxicAdam

There's not many things on PC like Spelunky. I doubt you will find anything close to that on the mobile iOS, which is still in it's infancy as a platform.

Junk Jack is about the closest thing I can think of. But that's more like Terraria than Spelunky.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Demon's+Score/news.asp?c=45068

Square Enix's Elite Beat Style devil killer Demons' Score is out tomorrow.

demons-score-01.jpg

These are the only games I cold see that have been updated for the new 4" screen. I'm sure more will be out over the course of the week(s):

Touchgrind BMX
Enigmo 2
Bugdom 2
Nanosaur 2
Cro-Mag Rally
Warheads
Otto Matic
Nucleus
Monkey Bongo
Minecraft – Pocket Edition

Where would be a good place to start with CAVE games? I've always been confused with the different versions of the same games. Also it seems some become obsolete when a Universal version is released.

Besides Cave's typical scheme of making the Arcade and Smartphone versions available separately if you don't care about the other mode, the only Cave games with multiple releases are Espgaluda II and Dodonpachi Resurrection (you probably want the HD version if your device supports it). There are two versions of Bug Princess 2 but the Black Label of that version is rebalanced to be almost a different game, and should be treated as such.

Hmm... I went to the actual App Store page and it says $9.99. http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/demons-score/id532473429?mt=8

NZD != USD.

Goli

Whoops, silly me didn't notice that "nz" is in the link.
Also I don't get this in the app description:
• Satan's (US$9.99) difficulty level soared up!
And then...
• Select the difficulty level you want to play. Easy, Normal, and Hard are available, but to enjoy the entire story, you have to... (You'll just have play to find out!)
IAP to unlock another difficulty level to finish the entire story mode or terribly worded app description? Or both?

Whoops, silly me didn't notice that "nz" is in the link.
Also I don't get this in the app description:
• Satan's (US$9.99) difficulty level soared up!
And then...
• Select the difficulty level you want to play. Easy, Normal, and Hard are available, but to enjoy the entire story, you have to... (You'll just have play to find out!)
IAP to unlock another difficulty level to finish the entire story mode or terribly worded app description? Or both?

lol.

ahahahaha.

Luckily the game looks kinda bad and the music is awful (which is a big deal for a rhythm game), or I might be pissed.

Luckily the game looks kinda bad and the music is awful (which is a big deal for a rhythm game), or I might be pissed.

It really does have an all-star lineup though... I would be surprised if the music doesn't end up being outstanding.

"Square Enix is showing off Demons' Score, from Ouendan developer iNiS, on a brand new site. We now know the rhythm action game, coming to iOS and Android, features music from an illustrious group of Japanese game composers. Those confirmed so far include Naoshi Mizuta (Final Fantasy XI), Keiichi Okabe (Nier), Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts series), and two members of Taito's 'house band' Zuntata."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/12/square-enixs-demons-score-features-all-star-composers/

Wait, Ash is good? Is it "a good RPG" or "good enough for an RPG on iOS"?
It's about as good as FF4, but shorter (about 25 hours long). However, the virtual d-pad is one of the worst I've used (I usually like virtual controls just fine) and it ends on a cliffhanger.

Wait, Ash is good? Is it "a good RPG" or "good enough for an RPG on iOS"?

The latter, and that's excluding the expensive SE ports with botched interfaces from the comparison. Honestly if you're interested in non-SE-port RPGs on iOS then I suggest branching out into new genres rather than wasting your time.

HBP

Lunar SSSC was my first JRPG. After beating it, I went out and bought FFVII.

Lunar on iPad would be nice, assuming the controls don't blow and it's not too expensive.

Someone on TA forums said $6.99 but I have no idea where they got that.

GeekyDad

i wanted to buy but it's ~450mb. no.

Which is about the same size of it installed. And yeah, that's a big file size for a game like this, but once you get into it, you can see why that is. There's a shit-ton of polish and whatnot present here. It feels like an adventure, not just a casual puzzler. I almost didn't get it for that one specific reason (the large file size), but I'm glad I did now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom