• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Hey everyone, I figured I would pose this question here. I work for a (very) small site and recently wrote a review of KoF14. In it, I was understandably hard on the net code and broken ranked mode. Now that it's more or less fixed, should I write an update on the review or should I leave it as is? In the review, I make sure to note that the (at the time) current state of the matchmaking was being addressed by SNK and that with improvements to the net code the game would be overall solid. I guess I'm struggling with the idea of journalistic responsibility and how I should handle a situation like this now and in the future. I reviewed the game we received in the state it was in at launch, and I stand by that review of the game in that state. But at the same time, I don't want it to come off as intentionally misleading or overly critical.

I know that's a long post. Sorry lol. I (mostly) love the game

BadWolf

Hey everyone, I figured I would pose this question here. I work for a (very) small site and recently wrote a review of KoF14. In it, I was understandably hard on the net code and broken ranked mode. Now that it's more or less fixed, should I write an update on the review or should I leave it as is? In the review, I make sure to note that the (at the time) current state of the matchmaking was being addressed by SNK and that with improvements to the net code the game would be overall solid. I guess I'm struggling with the idea of journalistic responsibility and how I should handle a situation like this now and in the future. I reviewed the game we received in the state it was in at launch, and I stand by that review of the game in that state. But at the same time, I don't want it to come off as intentionally misleading or overly critical.

I know that's a long post. Sorry lol. I (mostly) love the game

It's up to you really but even if you don't update the score then at least add in a blurb saying that it has been fixed so ppl know.

Btw SNK had the patch ready within a day or two of the launch, so we basically had to wait a week for Sony to approve it.

yagal

Iori team, level 5, stage 5 kicked my ass so bad,like 10 time in the row. Can't remember the last time a KOF's beat me like this

24027086531_f85a78cb81_o.png

But maybe i need to learn the game first

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's a shame it didn't come out at this condition. They said in the Famitsu interview that the game should have "Standard Netcode", and... that's pretty much what we're sitting on now. Something that feels like Netcode for a fighting game in 2016.

The speed at which they had a patch ready really makes it look like it was an unforeseen bug, rather than poor "code" itself. And set that atop all the other online features (Party play, online training mode), and you have quite a nice suite of online features. That were all there in the game on day 1, without need to be added into the next revision, or patched months later.

It's up to you really put even if you don't update the score than at least add in a blurb saying that it has been fixed so ppl know.

Btw SNK had the patch ready within a day or two of the launch, so we basically had to wait a week for Sony to approve it.

If we did scores that would be the thing I would absolutely change. Went from a 7.6 in my mind to an 8.9.

Yeah, maybe I will write up a tiny blurb addressing the patch. I mention in my review that a patch is on the way, but at the time, I couldn't wait an additional week for SNK

Hyun Sai

One tiny problem is that the game doesn't enforce connexion filter. Even setting it at 4 bars, I just had a 1 bar underwater match, unplayable.

My post got lost in last page hell, so ^^

On 12 matches, only one was so unplayable I had to quit. Pretty solid so far, some 1 bar were surprinsigly smooth.

vg260

So would a good connection in this game now be comparable to a good SF4 connection?

I'm tempted, but I really want it on the PC.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Today, Thursday, September 1st, 2016- The King Of Fighters XIV has received a patch and HOLY SHIT THE NET CODE IS ACTUALLY GOOD NOW!

ONLY TOOK THEM 11 YEARS TO RELEASE A KOF WITH GOOD NET CODE ON A CONSOLE!

Good games Numb.. uh, 'Ironfist Sect'..? Not sure i'm used to that name even after all this time, lol.

Guess i'm still looking for a point but that X/Kula/Love Heart is doing some decent work. Athena might be a nice find, heh heh.

I like your Joe and Terry, not so sure about Ramon.

Connection was real good, huh? SNK delivered \o/

I'd swap Nakoruru and Kula's slots. Kula does much better in first. Nakoruru works anywhere, but she can be pretty threatening with meter.

Oh, hm. Yeah, maybe. I have Kula on second because she can just use 'a little' meter and i know i'm pretty good with her so she can carry me if i'm behind.

HEY, SHE'S SHY, DON"T LET HER HEAR YOU SAY THAT! ')

I find myself enjoying sticking her in a 1st or second place. cr.LP into qcf+p seems like a very safe way to fish for confirms into her DMs, qcb+HP after a CD is apparently safe-ish, (Safe if it hits, might be able to hit her out of the longer startup when people git gudder) and a good way to fish for wall bounces, and she just overall has a solid ground normals game... and that's all before you add in her crazy flying silliness. Oh, and her sweep is amazing.

I knoooow =( Mian is easily my favorite character in there, her costume and animations just look so amazing. But i'm getting mauled. Just need to practice harder i guess. I think i need a solid ground pressure game to put some respect into people before starting the flying nonsense...

Edit: Also got my first hatemail. 'This game is cancer and it's your fault.' Oh welllll~

Numb

Good games Numb.. uh, 'Ironfist Sect'..? Not sure i'm used to that name even after all this time, lol.

Guess i'm still looking for a point but that X/Kula/Love Heart is doing some decent work. Athena might be a nice find, heh heh.

I like your Joe and Terry, not so sure about Ramon.

Connection was real good, huh? SNK delivered o/

Oh, hm. Yeah, maybe. I have Kula on second because she can just use 'a little' meter and i know i'm pretty good with her so she can carry me if i'm behind.

I knoooow =( Mian is easily my favorite character in there, her costume and animations just look so amazing. But i'm getting mauled. Just need to practice harder i guess. I think i need a solid ground pressure game to put some respect into people before starting the flying nonsense...
Any is good
Yeah I need more practice. Was waiting for the patch to hit to go and just need to put in time
Can't seem to get in with Ramon at all -_- El Rosa help

Rhapsody

Banned
I run Kula/Nakoruru/Iori in that order for now. I think one of the best parts of Kula being first is that her tools of good normals and neutral becomes a lot more useful as first. She doesn't have to deal with matchups where characters have meter to take her out quickly or have Max Mode often for neutral.

Kula's also my best character by far. I always feel like I should put her later just because of that, but point Kula's always paid off for me.
Is the patch new thread worthy? Seems like it was a big issue on people getting the game or not.

I'd say so. It's a big thing that made people on the fence on actually buying it. Plus it's a good sign on how SNK's been with communication on the issue. I'm really impressed they addressed the issue and even updated us on when things were submitted for review.

I run Kula/Nakoruru/Iori in that order for now. I think one of the best parts of Kula being first is that her tools of good normals and neutral becomes a lot more useful as first. She doesn't have to deal with matchups where characters have meter to take her out quickly or have Max Mode often for neutral.

Kula's also my best character by far. I always feel like I should put her later just because of that, but point Kula's always paid off for me.

Interesting, thank you. I'll give it a spin next time i play.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Played 10 matches after the patch, set to allow all connections, same area (I'm east coast US), and had 8 perfect matches. 2 matches began to stutter from lag, but input delay stayed reasonably low.

qcf x2

God, I'm so bad at this game. KOF is weird.

The SF background doesn't translate as easily to KOF as people think based on watching vids! It helps as far as doing the motions but as far as everything else you gotta think of it as its own thing, which it is. Get those C, f+A, specials in.

Happy with the netcode. Had 5 great (GREAT!) matches so far and one with kinda bad slowdown.

In other news, my Mian is trash =(
She's not pulling her weight.

Switching to Nakoruru/Kula/Love Heart for now.

You are not messing around, lol. That's a death squad.

Good games man. Online seems smooth. Couldnt get over the great wall of Love Heart
24027086531_f85a78cb81_o.png

lol called it.

Today, Thursday, September 1st, 2016- The King Of Fighters XIV has received a patch and HOLY SHIT THE NET CODE IS ACTUALLY GOOD NOW!

ONLY TOOK THEM 11 YEARS TO RELEASE A KOF WITH GOOD NET CODE ON A CONSOLE!

If Lyte Edge approves then you know it's real!

I feel like all i can do in kof is fish for heavy normals.

Really dont get it

Dash, and get your SF4 on (cr lk, st lp, attack).

Got home, installed the patch and...
"playstation network is undergoing maintenance"

FUUUUUUUU

Please no! My internet fixed itself this morning so there's a 50% chance at best that it actually works, but if it does I need PSN to work lol.

kunonabi

any tips on dealing with Terry's burn knuckle and shoulder tackle? I can't seem to do anything other than block and cd blowback or get pressured endlessly.

So when doing Versus, is the handicap the Com's level? like i cant just face a hard comp without giving it max super?

edit: I actually liked hein, his timing was a bit weird of one of his supers which made for some fun and frustration

Numb

The SF background doesn't translate as easily to KOF as people think based on watching vids! It helps as far as doing the motions but as far as everything else you gotta think of it as its own thing, which it is. Get those C, f+A, specials in.

You are not messing around, lol. That's a death squad.

lol called it.

If Lyte Edge approves then you know it's real!

Dash, and get your SF4 on (cr lk, st lp, attack).

Please no! My internet fixed itself this morning so there's a 50% chance at best that it actually works, but if it does I need PSN to work lol.
Her arm reach is longer than her body length
Then easy special into super repeat according to however many bars you got. Scary stuff

Really impressed with SNK and their handling of the netcode. It's been a sore spot in their past releases and I'm glad they took the time to make it right. Never thought I'd see it happen so soon, if ever, honestly.

Xevren

I like Kula, juggles are limited but her damage is still good. Almost always you get better damage with her just doing short combos into super instead of going to max mode.

Top Bottom