• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

qcf x2

Entering max mode. Wait, you can do so with a normal cancelled into special into quick max?

From max mode, does the climax DM take less meter?

I think that's in the tutorial actually.

I'm so disappointed that my internet is dead. I can't even play offline because it says I didn't authorize the PS4, whatever the heck that means. It's the only PS4 my account has been registered to, and a day 1 console at that.

Finaika

I believe it's not shipped, it's sold through.

Here the complete list courtesy of MMaker from SRK

1-[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura (Level-5, 07/16/16) – 32,460 (1,152,838)
2-[PS4] Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco, 08/18/16) – 24,057 (197,593)
3-[PS4] No Man’s Sky (SIE, 08/25/16) – 22,200 (New)
4-[PS4] The King of Fighters XIV (SNK, 08/25/16) – 20,655 (New)
5-[PSV] Sengoku Otome: Legend Battle (Shirogumi New Media Development, 08/25/16) – 16,054 (New)
6-[PS4] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den (Capcom, 08/25/16) – 15,592 (New)
7-[PS3] Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco, 08/18/16) – 15,262 (91,447)
8-[PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X (Sega, 08/25/16) – 12,915 (New)
9-[PS3] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den (Capcom, 08/25/16) – 11,796 (New)
10-[3DS] Dragon Ball Fusions (Bandai Namco, 08/04/16) – 10,827 (138,479)
11-[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: Kami no Shou / Ryuu no Shou (GungHo Online Entertainment, 07/28/16) – 10,372 (154,477)
12-[3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot (Nintendo, 04/29/16) – 8,147 (415,444)
13-[Wii U] Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Mojang, 06/23/16) – 8,003 (99,412)
14-[3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (Pokemon, 11/21/14) – 6,914 (2,878,174)
15-[3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack (Inti Creates, 08/25/16) – 6,426 (New)
16-[3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo, 02/18/16) – 5,301 (228,811)
17-[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SIE, 03/19/15) – 5,114 (859,174)
18-[Wii U] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo, 06/23/16) – 4,810 (86,256)
19-[PSV] Beast and Princess (Idea Factory, 08/25/16) – 4,765 (New)
20-[Wii U] Splatoon (Nintendo, 05/28/15) – 4,441 (1,456,508)

Beating a serie like Sengoku Basara in Japan is pretty solid.

Ugh, why is No Man's Sky beating KOFXIV?

BadWolf

Blug, i need to figure out how to deal with Robert's fireballs as Love Heart. Got dunked in party battle just now.

You'd think 'Oh, the slash erases fireballs so it's okay' but his are a lot faster than the slash is.

Walk/run forward and block, roll early, neutral jump etc.

Don't waste time doing anything dumb or risky, that's what they want you to do.

Walk/run forward and block, roll early, neutral jump etc.

Don't waste time doing anything dumb or risky, that's what they want you to do.

Thanks.. It's hard to keep my cool in a game as fast as this.

I found out EX qcf+P goes under his fireballs too. Probably not too practical but it's there.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Had some training mode time with Luong last night... she's definitely one of the best new characters.

She has a few moves but they all "link" so smoothly @__@

Grifter

Yeah it's called activation bypass. Try this with Robert:

st.HP > fwd+LK > QCB+BCD

What will happen is that you will bypass the activation stage and enter max mode by doing an EX version of QCB+K.

As for meter usage, activating max mode counts as using one power bar so as long as it's active an EX super will cost 1 bar and a Climax super will cost 2 bars. But that's only because you used the 1 bar for activation first, so in the end the EX super and Climax still cost 2 and 3 bar respectively.

If ABC/BCD inputs are relevant, I guess the old Neo layout isn't dead. I thought SNK themselves had moved on to D-pad layout since 13.

Thanks, wasn't sure if the meter math and optimization from previous games still applied.

I think that's in the tutorial actually.

I'm so disappointed that my internet is dead. I can't even play offline because it says I didn't authorize the PS4, whatever the heck that means. It's the only PS4 my account has been registered to, and a day 1 console at that.

I don't have a copy yet, just been entering local tournaments to get a feel and see how far I can coast off old timing.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well played it (training) for about 1 hour.
Quit the game went back to kof 98 on my neogeo and kof 13 on my pc.

It really is the art style that didn't click with me.
What a shame :(

finished all trials. kensou 4 was the hardest for me because i do motions too fast apparently. had to wait a brief moment after max activation, that was my issue earlier. what's next? gotta finish all story modes now i guess and wait for online patch.

Man, I can't seem to get the Psycho Soldier's theme out of my head.

Its like a modern EDM take on the old psycho soldiers song with different lyrics.

Someone on the staff for the game is clearly a Perfume / Kyary Pamyu Pamyu fan (both produced by Yasutaka Nakata) judging by this song and the Sylvie Paula Paula character.

Perfume - Cling Cling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Gac1mcNgE

~said as arriving freshly off a plane from seeing Perfume live in Los Angeles~

It's no brainer the game looks bad

Am I the only one who likes the look of this game? It has an anime like feel to it, similar to phantasy star online 2.

Sure the models need work, but im not against them like some ppl are.

For the record, i never liked the sprites in kof 13. Sprites in videogames are lovely, but something about the kof spirtes put me off. They were low res and didnt represent the actual characters well. I remember Ryo looking evil, andy looking like a huge reptile, clark/ralf looking like they were on steroids and billy looking like he was on crack.

Its been a while, so i may have to go back. I may appreciate it more since its been a few years.

Personally, i like the look of kof 14 more than 13. Love the colours and how the characters express themselves. Hopefully, they can update the models significantly in kof 15.

Menitta

I gave remote play a shot. Maybe it's because I'm used to an arcade stick or my internet, but it didn't feel that great. These types of games don't work well with remote play to begin with, IMO.

Really like Love Heart so far.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Am I the only one who likes the look of this game? It has an anime like feel to it, similar to phantasy star online 2.

For the record, i never liked the sprites in kof 13. Sprites in videogames are lovely, but something about the kof spirtes put me off. They were low res and didnt represent the actual characters well. I remember Ryo looking evil, andy looking like a huge reptile, clark/ralf looking like they were on steroids and billy looking like he was on crack.

Its been a while, so i may have to go back. I may appreciate it more since its been a few years.

Personally, i like the look of kof 14 more than 13. Love the colours and how the characters express themselves. Hopefully, they can update the models significantly in kof 15.

I like the look of it as well. I think the models and animation are fine in normal gameplay view. I really appreciate the exacting detail to character costumes and fashion design. I like most of the stages. It's clear that SNK didn't have a huge budget, but it feels like they put a lot of effort into detail.

I liked the rich color palette of KOF 13, but I agree there were problems with the overall look of many characters. Too many were swollen and distorted. The low res filtered look was poor against the higher res 2D backgrounds. The animation wasn't that good imo - I know people go crazy for it due to how many frames it has and the detailed shading on the characters, but many sprites had little sense of weight and a large number of animations were stiff or unnatural.

I gave remote play a shot. Maybe it's because I'm used to an arcade stick or my internet, but it didn't feel that great. These types of games don't work well with remote play to begin with, IMO.

Really like Love Heart so far.

Yeah, Remote Play and fighters don't mix too well, especially with KOF's stricter execution time.

I got my team now with luong, king, and mai. Im really liking luong and literally got her from random and did her trials. afterwards went to training to work in some combo chains.

but what do I do with Luong's command lk (is that right terminology?). is it just used for spacing? I cant seem to cancel it into her kick uppercuts or anything. do i have to use max mode?

BadWolf

but what do I do with Luong's command lk (is that right terminology?). is it just used for spacing? I cant seem to cancel it into her kick uppercuts or anything. do i have to use max mode?

Foward+LK?

Use it for combo extension:

Close HK or HP>fwd+LK>special move

If you use it raw then it's an overhead and you can enter max mode from it and do a combo if you catch your opponent crouch blocking.

qcf x2

Nah you're not alone, I like the look of the game. I think it legit looks solid and I too feel it looks better than XIII (quite a bit, too). I made a post about it with similar observations: non 1080p sprites on a 1080p screen are not gonna look anywhere near modern... also the palette is washed out, Yuri/Mai look like aliens, etc.

Ironically, what I think looks the worst about XIV is what people seem to like the most -- the backgrounds. I think the character models are fine (aside from a few duds out of 50), it's just hard to see the details from afar, but who cares when you're playing? The effects are fantastic. Athena leaves purple sparkles when she dashes, Kula leaves ice particles, the flame / heat effects, all of Sylvie's animations, etc. There's also almost no clipping to speak of, it's all very clean looking.

Graphics are the least important part of a fighting game, but these aren't distractingly poor or anything. In game they do the job and sometimes surprise me. Plus I don't want A++++ visuals if it means long ass load times for a quick burst game.

Well played it (training) for about 1 hour.
Quit the game went back to kof 98 on my neogeo and kof 13 on my pc.

It really is the art style that didn't click with me.
What a shame :(

Don't think an hour is a fair shake but to each his own.

Hyun Sai

There is definitely a big hyperbole surrounding the look of this game. No one who came at home found KoFXIV ugly. Some characters models are a bit rough, but visually it's very clean and many stages are incredibly detailed and stunning visually.

Some stages I find hideous though : Anthonov, osaka, the moon one...

The visuals, particularly the quality of the backgrounds, are something that look a lot better once you actually play the game in person. And youtube compression certainly does not do this game any favours.

qcf x2

The visuals, particularly the quality of the backgrounds, are something that blook a lot better once you actually play the game in person. And youtube compression certainly does not do this game any favours.

Right, and at the risk of accidentally starting something I want no part of, there are some things it even handles better visually than SFV (hair, effects, clipping, maybe stages), which I think is graphically speaking the pinnacle of the genre so far. These kinds of things you probably aren't going to appreciate from a Youtube video.

kunonabi

Nah, I actually really dig the look of it myself. I like a lot of the little details and textures, the use of color, and the special effects. Really Kyo, Andy and a bit of stiffness in some of the other characters(Robert, Athena, King) are really the only things that bother me. I think it's a lot more well-rounded and pleasant to look at than SFV personally.

Chalk me up as another person who is actually digging the art style. I actually like it a lot better than the direction SF4/5 went in with their high fidelity and in my opinion over-designed character models. SF of course looks amazing on a technical level but I really do feel like some of the characters lost their personality in the process.

KOFXIV on the other hand just looks really clean and I feel like the models are actually a pretty solid representation of the original art.

Spman2099

I'm glad you guys a digging the style, but I don't think the complaints about the graphics are hyperbolic at all. If every character model looked like Geese I could get behind it more, but all the character models were not created equally in this game. As an example, I would argue that Andy looks terrible (his hair makes SFV's worst hair look brilliant)..

Also, I know some people are saying the opposite, but I find it hard to see how it isn't just a huge, huge downgrade from KoF XIII, which is still one of the best looking fighting games ever made. I would rank it as one of the best looking video games ever.

KoF XIV is a solid enough game. I hope it makes SNK money (I gave them mine and I will give them more if they release Vanessa as DLC). However, I think the criticisms about the graphics are super fair.

Another thing... there are a lot of great fighting games on the market right now. KoF XIV looks like it does while competing with some pretty heavy hitters. It was always going to be an uphill battle.

Pompadour

I'm glad you guys a digging the style, but I don't think the complaints about the graphics are hyperbolic at all. If every character model looked like Geese I could get behind it more, but all the character models were not created equally in this game. As an example, I would argue that Andy looks terrible (his hair makes SFV's worst hair look brilliant)..

Also, I know some people are saying the opposite, but I find it hard to see how it isn't just a huge, huge downgrade from KoF XIII, which is still one of the best looking fighting games ever made. I would rank it as one of the best looking video games ever.

KoF XIV is a solid enough game. I hope it makes SNK money (I gave them mine and I will give them more if they release Vanessa as DLC). However, I think the criticisms about the graphics are super fair.

Another thing... there are a lot of great fighting games on the market right now. KoF XIV looks like it does while competing with some pretty heavy hitters. It was always going to be an uphill battle.

KOF clearly suffered from some of the issues that Street Fighter 4 did where certain characters (like Ken) were designed early on when they were getting the hang of building 3D models. Kyo straight up looks like garbage while a lot of the later revealed characters look fine. It's kind of like how Super Street Fighter 4's character models were way better than the original cast.

And yes, the KOF series was never a pretty one so it's not like this game is breaking tradition with it's mediocre graphics. The KOF series was locked in with so-so graphics since '94 while SNK was making way better looking 2D fighting games parallel to the KOF series. 12 and 13 were a big step up but it's not even like those games had the highest res sprites or the best animation (BlazBlue had better sprites, SF3 had better animation, and Skullgirls beat KOF12/13 in both areas).

Spman2099

(BlazBlue had better sprites, SF3 had better animation, and Skullgirls beat KOF12/13 in both areas).

I don't agree at all. BlazBlue and KoF XIII sprites are different in style. That is a subjective thing. KoF XIII had a similar amount of frames as Third Strike; the animations end up looking about equally as good. I wouldn't say Skullgirls charts in either regard.

I don't agree at all. BlazBlue and KoF XIII sprites are different in style. That is a subjective thing. KoF XIII had a similar amount of frames as Third Strike; the animations end up looking about equally as good. I wouldn't say Skullgirls charts in either regard.
I'm guessing you've never played Skullgirls, since its animation is on par with Darkstalkers.

Pompadour

By "better sprites" I meant that KOF's were lower res than BlazBlue's (and Skullgirls, of course). Better animation was a little more subjective as I figured the total frames of animation was probably similar to 3S but I absolutely love 3S's animation. As I understand it, Skullgirls beats both games pretty handily in that regard, however.

Skilletor

Agree with all of this.

Numb

14 looks passable
But going from 13 it looks like garbage to me.
Nothing in presentation can be beaten comparing it to 13

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
XIII may have as many frames as SFIII, but SFIII's animation is penciled and keyframed in a much more organic and snappy manner. XIII characters have really nice idle animations with great flowing shading over their clothing, but walking, jumping, attacks, etc, are a lot stiffer and sometimes downright crude looking compared to SFIII.

Same problem Arc games had for a long time. Great sprites, good idle animation, stiff attacks and movement.

Deps

My main problem with the graphics is some characters look terrible (Andy), and the special effects are lacking. Other than that, I think it looks okay and I've even somewhat grown fond of the style.

I agree with this .
Some models look nice while others can use some work .
The game can also use some better effects .
I hope the game makes money so they can improve on there work , don't care if they have to milk me to make it happen .
On a side note it's rather nice touch Athena music plays if she fights kensou no matter the stage.

Numb

Of course Dieminion would play Meitenkun. Also Mian and Athena. Winning with time outs

Art like
"I wonder what's going through his head when playing so lame "
Lol

Menitta

The net code in rooms is pretty solid. I'm still really terrible at this game though. SF fundamentals are not as transferable as one would assume.

Chalk me up as another person who is actually digging the art style. I actually like it a lot better than the direction SF4/5 went in with their high fidelity and in my opinion over-designed character models. SF of course looks amazing on a technical level but I really do feel like some of the characters lost their personality in the process.

KOFXIV on the other hand just looks really clean and I feel like the models are actually a pretty solid representation of the original art.

I'm not sure what you mean by over designed.

I'm not sure what you mean by over designed.

Yeah, not really the explanation I was going for now that I think about it. The designs are good for the most part.

I just feel like the super-high fidelity look they went with was a bit too much.

SF5 is better in this respect, and I think everyone got used to the style in SF4 as well (including myself) but I remember being really put off by the general body proportions on all the characters.

Maybe it is just me but I feel like the mix of realistic texturing with the proportions made it look a bit of a mess artistically.

On the other hand, I was actually taken back when I looked at the small KOFXIV artbook that came with the game. Outside of a few exceptions I think the models do a damn fine job representing the original artwork.

It's not perfect obviously, but I actually think on the whole it looks better from an artistic standpoint.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So much of the #WNF play is so AGGRESSIVE AGRESSIVE AGROOOCRAGG, lol. Ever weak poke turns into a JustDOit MAX cancel, GCCD isn't be used all that often, and people are gettin' frametrapped out of everything because they try to answer every safeish setup with a quick start-up poke.

It's interesting to me, because a lot of my own matches end up in a lot of time outs in this game, more than many other KOFs. You can do such a nice job at controlling space with normals here, and pushing people away with quickly earned meter isn't all that bad.

I always have fun watching Yuri play. All this Anywhere Juggle Demon Flip Throws make me smile, heh.

Graphics in XIV are ok. But just that. Okay. It doesn't look bad, but doesn't look that great either. Thankfully, it plays well and is fun.

Biggest shame is the lack of impact in the hits compared to 13 to be honest. Look to Andy's Neomax to his Climax in this game, the hit isn't as meaty. Ralf also suffered from this quite a bit, his punches don't seem as visceral and fast when he is beating them up in his supers. The run cycles also look weird, many characters look like they are sliding forward when they run and the look doesn't give the feeling like they're running forward. I do like the game and it does look clean though. As they go further on in this direction I look forward to seeing how they tighten it up graphics wise and animation wise.

It has a similar visual style to freaking Enchanted Arms or Legia 2 Duel Saga. Though clearly not that bad, I get very similar vibes from the overall visuals though.

That said I love the backgrounds.

Really want to buy this but gotta wait a few more weeks til the next paycheck. Digging the videos people are putting up and the short time with the demo.

Biggest shame is the lack of impact in the hits compared to 13 to be honest. Look to Andy's Neomax to his Climax in this game, the hit isn't as meaty. Ralf also suffered from this quite a bit, his punches don't seem as visceral and fast when he is beating them up in his supers. The run cycles also look weird, many characters look like they are sliding forward when they run and the look doesn't give the feeling like their running forward. I do like the game and it does look clean though. As they go further on in this direction I look forward to seeing how they tighten it up graphics wise and animation wise.

Yeah, this is definitely where I stand. There are still plenty of spots that need improving but I really like the style and direction they went in.

I do think they would be better off working with UE4 going forward. I am sure that the 3D modeling experience they built up here could be applied to UE4 as well, and they could probably go crazier with the effects without worrying about performance hits.

It's really impressive what they managed to do with their own engine though, especially considering how deep the roster is.
I never thought I would say this, but I would love to see a 3D SamSho in this engine.

Top Bottom