• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Goon

man I tried to find some used copies of the game and it was going for 74.99 lol. The price is pretty steep in Canada

DR2K

Banned
This netcode is mostly dog shit. Seriously bad. It has it's good moments. But that has been incredibly rare.

Xevren

Netcode feels great to me, ran into a guy in free rooms and played with him for an hour with no lag. His antonov was a beast.

BadWolf

Netcode feels great to me, ran into a guy in free rooms and played with him for an hour with no lag. His antonov was a beast.

Man I should really get around to playing story mode and unlocking him, been camping in training mode and online play since launch.

This netcode is mostly dog shit. Seriously bad. It has it's good moments. But that has been incredibly rare.

When it's good, it's good, and when it's bad it's very bad. I'd say in terms of quality it's on par with Arc System Works' best netcode, but the matchmaking/bars are a really poor indicator of whether or not you're going to get a great match or an inconsistent/outright bad one. I played a match earlier in ranked that was completely flawless until two times I tried to go into MAX mode kill combos, and it hiccuped juuuuuust enough for me to drop, which was infuriating.

I'm having the same problem with XIV that I was in XIII, and that's that I just cannot find a third I feel comfortable with next to Kim and Terry. I was trying Geese for a bit because his neutral/damage is solid and the counter is always nice, but I have a lot of trouble opening people up with him due to his speed and relative lack of mix-ups outside of 214C. I've tried Love Heart, Antonov, Ralf, Clark, and a few others to varying degrees. I'm sure I'll find someone (there's 50 characters, lord help me if I don't), but it's puts a lot of stress on the two characters I play knowing they have to carry dead weight at some point.

tried some ranked, about 15 matches. my settings were at 4 bars (highest), high completion rate only. don't know where these people joining my rooms came from since stuff is anon. had only one underwater match, rest were totally fine and playable. so far i honestly can't complain. i had a few dips here and there but that's to be expected. all neogaf people i played in my region had a clean connection.

matchmaking was swift.

let me add that i prefer when this game runs in underwater mode for both players at its worst. in SFV bad netcode is often one sided and people love to beat me up while i'm stuck with horrible rollback mode while they play their perfect game. i'm not into this kind of dirty shenanigans. this is more fair to me.

ggs Auge. That last match killed me, jeez. <.<;

You have some strong and obnoxious teams there. Your Kim scares me.

gg, i barely played outside of story and trial, you were ahead. still need to find a team. billy is so different.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Damn!! Mr. Karate or Iori did not get such a video during the life-time of KOFXIII. Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrUXGEkETGo

He didnt' have time to make a vid, so he made a 40+ minute rant, heh heh. While I can see some of her stuff given less safety, I really hope they don't go overboard nerfing her. This game has some many potent, ridiculously strong tools, and that's a great part of why it's so fun.

For the record, I don't mind invincibility while raising to Mamahaha. As long as what she does off of it is punishable, who cares? The problem lies in the fact that the drop crosses up fantastically, and can't be counter by basically anything. The drop itself is also probably a bit faster than it needs to be (as in, she should be stuck on Mamahaha for a moment, in a vulnerable state) That's a bit too strong. The vid compares Mamahaha riding to a roll... well rolls in KoF leave you open if the opponent predicts it. Same should happen here.

When it's good, it's good, and when it's bad it's very bad. I'd say in terms of quality it's on par with Arc System Works' best netcode, but the matchmaking/bars are a really poor indicator of whether or not you're going to get a great match or an inconsistent/outright bad one. I played a match earlier in ranked that was completely flawless until two times I tried to go into MAX mode kill combos, and it hiccuped juuuuuust enough for me to drop, which was infuriating.

I haven't played a huge amount yet, but I haven't seen a "Very bad" at all since patch. A few "Meh" ones, but nothing horrible. Like, I had times in SFIV where the match went unplayable (as in "no inputs accepted at all, you character is stuck walking forward") for almost a full 10 seconds, and then acted as if the match resynched, and worked like normal. I don't... even know... how that makes sense.

I'm having the same problem with XIV that I was in XIII, and that's that I just cannot find a third I feel comfortable with next to Kim and Terry. I was trying Geese for a bit because his neutral/damage is solid and the counter is always nice, but I have a lot of trouble opening people up with him due to his speed and relative lack of mix-ups outside of 214C.

Naked overhead into "STAND UP...DIE!" is a bit of mixup, too! *ahem* I think Geese is purposely made to make you feel as if he's going to be open and beatable all the time, so he can lure people into getting countered. I really like the offense of his cr.b,cr.a->qcb+a, since it's safe-ish on block, and puts them back in Reppu/Shippuken pester range, which is also perfect to have them hop over a projectile and start PREDICTABOOO stuff that you can punish. I like Frame-trapping after the cr.b,cr.a with a cr.C, too. If that lands, do the f+A command normal into damage options of your choice.

His far D and C are surprisingly good anti-hops and flat punishes, and whiffing stuff into counters makes people check the offense they'd normally pour all over slower-to-act characters. Having the meter for a SDM Counter into Rising Storm will make aware opponents play VERY safely, and that's when you get to mess them up. Any blockstrings they do, with a gap, can turn into game-winning damage for you.

For the record, I don't mind invincibility while raising to Mamahaha. As long as what she does off of it is punishable, who cares? The problem lies in the fact that the drop crosses up fantastically, and can't be counter by basically anything. The drop itself is also probably a bit faster than it needs to be (as in, she should be stuck on Mamahaha for a moment, in a vulnerable state) That's a bit too strong. The vid compares Mamahaha riding to a roll... well rolls in KoF leave you open if the opponent predicts it. Same should happen here.

Invincible bird cling is an issue regardless of what she does after that because then she's already airborne and you don't get to fully punish it even when you have the read or OS against it (which all characters can't do, you need a normal that hits upwards like Kyo or Iori's cl.C). So she can be like "lol 70 dmg idgaf let me just do it again". Even making her stuck to Mamahaha for a bit longer doesn't solve that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Invincible bird cling is an issue regardless of what she does after that because then she's already airborne and you don't get to fully punish it even when you have the read or OS against it (which all characters can't do, you need a normal that hits upwards like Kyo or Iori's cl.C). So she can be like "lol 70 dmg idgaf let me just do it again". Even making her stuck to Mamahaha for a bit longer doesn't solve that.

Ok, then give her counter-hit properties if she's hit off Mamahaha. (atop making drop off attack take longer, and making heel more punishable, like maybe -1~3 on block.) There's a LOT of characters that could neutral jump normal -> Special cancel, and many of those could even get a DM out of it. A counter hit punish as a solution seems about as bonkers as the Kami Mutsube from Mamahaha-> S/CDM cancel options she gets in return.

Xevren

Playing against a good angel was terrifying, she's all over the place. Still dropping too many confirms but having a blast.

Menitta

I think I'm starting to get the feel of the game. I've picked my team. I'm going with Terry, Leona, and Alice.

I'll learn Angel eventually. I don't know what that character even is.

Also, can you do Southtown Variation Spin into Diving Tackle?

Ok, then give her counter-hit properties if she's hit off Mamahaha. (atop making drop off attack take longer, and making heel more punishable, like maybe -1~3 on block.) There's a LOT of characters that could neutral jump normal -> Special cancel, and many of those could even get a DM out of it. A counter hit punish as a solution seems about as bonkers as the Kami Mutsube from Mamahaha-> S/CDM cancel options she gets in return.

Meh, just put her in line with the rest. Invincibilty on the DP, none on the bird cling and grounded start-up on that. Let regular pressure work on her as it does on any character.

Playing against a good angel was terrifying, she's all over the place. Still dropping too many confirms but having a blast.

look at this fucking Dragon Ball Z combo it's lit

https://twitter.com/SpiidiOnNoita/status/769672095429173248

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Meh, just put her in line with the rest. Invincibilty on the DP, none on the bird cling and grounded start-up on that. Let regular pressure work on her as it does on any character.

But why? That's boring and is done to death across 49 other charas. There's a lot of stuff that goes against my normal fight gaming counter rules (Safety on aggressive moves, huge pushback, unusual frame advantage, divekicks that are predominately safe, repeatable air moves with no direct limit, moves that leave you close yet able to hop out of instant throws, air dash out of jump normals, etc) in this game, and having Nak's hop being one of them makes it feel like something more unique than "a different command to do a short hop", which I like. *

In that same window of time she can slip out of pressure with an invincible leap, Geese can SDM counter. Athena has invincibility on the start up of her command throw. Ranbu DMs aren't all created equal in this game, and some have invuln, others don't. I like all the character-specific quirks on display. Helps make this feel more like it's own bunch of unique experiences, rather than gaming I've done before.

Great post, my TV does the same :(
Really annoys me on KOFXIV and Overwatch.

BTW, did the patch improved the netcode?
I can only find 2 bar connections so ... :(

Yeah that sucks man. Is it doing it by 5 percent or 10 percent? So I take it you tried to check the settings to see if there was a way to disable it? Sometimes a TV will have a TV or PC mode. Try putting it on PC mode. Or maybe you have an auto zoom toggle, set that to off.

Is your TV 720p native btw?

My TV looked very similar to the 5% image (TV edges touched the word "Player" in "Player 1") and I never knew what to do to fix it. I also have a Samsung, mine had the exact same setting in the menu. Thanks.

Yeah. On Samsung's it's called screen fit. But on other TV brands they call it other things, but it's the same thing in terms of giving you a pixel perfect image. Glad you figured it out, kind of silly how simple the solution was, wasn't it?

I disagree that it's boring period and now I will drop it because the thought that this is even something to argue about annoys me.

Mirror matches will be fun.
https://twitter.com/TSSAtma/status/771817779070537729

Pretty much expected since it is Angel after all. The shit she did in 2k2 was bonkers. I find the King of Dinosaur clipping during the glomp more surprising.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I disagree that it's boring period and now I will drop it because the thought that this is even something to argue about annoys me.

I just think the game has more interesting solutions to these issues than the immediately obvious ones. And I hope in balancing / patching, they keep to that. That's something I loved about XIII's Arcade and Console patch changes; they introduced fun / useful / unique stuff as they took something away.

If the follow-ups are done correctly, Invincibility-on-leap isn't all that different from Shermie's old-school style spot-dodge, or Mary's Real Counter. It's one last chance to bait a move the opponent hopefully tries to throw , so you can land a counter-hit. Biggest problem with Nako is that it's very little (if any) risk, for a lot of reward.

Xevren

This host leaving killing the room is stupid. The match will still play out and you get booted at the end, so why can't the host just change or something :(

Badwolf, if that was you I fought in KOF XIV recently ggs despite how short it was. Connection error on my end as my internet shut off for a few min; my apologies.

Will be properly cautious of your zoning Billy, like I might've been since XIII.

kunonabi

Fighting against kind of dinosaurs with goro is a goddamn horror show. I can't approach him or play footsies/defense at all. It's somehow more frustrating than other match up so far.

BadWolf

Badwolf, if that was you I fought in KOF XIV recently ggs despite how short it was. Connection error on my end as my internet shut off for a few min; my apologies.

Will be properly cautious of your zoning Billy, like I might've been since XIII.

Ggs man!

Hopefully we will end up with a longer session next time :)

Anbec7

I'm still unsure on what to pick so I'm mostly doing the trials, so far I have been having fun, some where weird others difficult but DIOS MIO.

What the heck is going on with King of Dinasours 4th Trial, I can't seem to cancel the first claw into the special worse yet to combo the MAX cancel with the crouching HP.

Any tips?

Edzi

I'm still unsure on what to pick so I'm mostly doing the trials, so far I have been having fun, some where weird others difficult but DIOS MIO.

What the heck is going on with King of Dinasours 4th Trial, I can't seem to cancel the first claw into the special worse yet to combo the MAX cancel with the crouching HP.

Any tips?

Have you tried watching the demo?

Any tips?

When MAX cancelling that combo, don't hold down or use his down c.HP immediately. When you MAX cancel, your character always goes into a little dash, but if you hold down or back, the run stops immediately.

So, just MAX cancel, wait about half a second(while not inputting any directions), and then use KOD's c.HP.

Anbec7

When MAX cancelling that combo, don't hold down or use his down c.HP immediately. When you MAX cancel, your character always goes into a little dash, but if you hold down or back, the run stops immediately.

Currently trying that but then I do it to slow or too fast :/

So, just MAX cancel, wait about half a second(while not inputting any directions), and then use KOD's c.HP.

Yes that´s where I noticed what CommandThrower was explaining but then I hit the next problem... cancelling as fast as possible the special into the Super move LOL this game...

Still I'm really liking the challenge of "learning" a new FG.

1upsuper

I sat down with this game for a couple hours and just played around in training as someone pretty new to KoF (dabbled just a bit in '98 and '02) and it just feels good. I can't really explain it, but some of the systems just make sense to me and I found a couple characters that really jive with me. This is a really cool game.

Ferrio

Banned
GGs Q, damn fuck Nakoruru. Also time to toss Angel she isn't working. I should probably suck it up and put someone I know I can play as my first member.

JTCx

yo fuck K', this guys buttons beats everything. When you think you bait his dp, that shit sends him flying across the opposite side of the screen and now you cant punish him.

im so bad at this game

yo fuck K', this guys buttons beats everything. When you think you bait his dp, that shit sends him flying across the opposite side of the screen and now you cant punish him.

im so bad at this game

Run after the fucker. I get 30-40% combos after that for his malarky with Ramon.

cordy

Banned
Won't be able to afford this for a while but man, I've never been into any of the SNK games but after seeing the videos of this one I just wanna dive in. I'm loving what I'm seeing.

I don't understand the ranking system. Usually it's plus or minus 3-4 or 10 or something, but then on some matches i straight up lose 40 points at once?

Edit: Wait, is how many characters you win by a factor? I OCV'd someone and got +20 points..

Deps

Gonna be playing a lot of KOF this weekend. If any ec/mw players want to run some sets, inv me.

psn: YoungDeps

Rhapsody

Banned

im so bad at this game

iirc, if you block the DP, backdash as soon as blockstun ends. I think it still puts him in front of you when he lands, giving you the easy punish.

benzopil

I probably made a big mistake trying this game. Can't complete a single trial lol.

I WANT to become better but after a couple hours it seems impossible for me. What can I do?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Loving this game, but my team is radically different than past years.

I've settled into Kyo, King and Love Heart.

Top Bottom