• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Ferrio

Banned
Loving this game, but my team is radically different than past years.

I've settled into Kyo, King and Love Heart.

Might end up being my team too. Got Love Heart and King, still trying to find a third. Considering Kyo since he's always solid.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I probably made a big mistake trying this game. Can't complete a single trial lol.

I WANT to become better but after a couple hours it seems impossible for me. What can I do?

I believe there is an example in game for the trials. If not, watch them on youtube, too! Also, this game has an online training mode (that no one is talking about), so jumping on with a GAFer or such might help, as well.

If you can't complete trials, it's probably an issue in how you expect the timing of moves to go. They're "easy" trials, in the way that they're basically all stuff you'll be doing moment-to-moment in actual gameplay, with those characters. Once you get a few, the rest should mostly come easily.

Is there a spreadsheet of IDs?

Feel free to add me:

Shadow780
NYC

Here's our NeoGAF Matchmaking Spreadsheet!

To you and all else, feel free to add your names to it, and make use of what's already there! :)

kunonabi

Anyone else have trouble connecting with opponents online through ranked? I havent been able to get in to a match. is it because im Nat2 or something?

Yeah, ranked doesn't really work for me either. It either won't find anyone or it can't enter the room and when it does work every match has been super laggy. I just do free vs now.

qcf x2

I probably made a big mistake trying this game. Can't complete a single trial lol.

I WANT to become better but after a couple hours it seems impossible for me. What can I do?

As SAB said, what you can/should do is the tutorial. Go one by one and you should improve a bit. Also, practice makes perfect. The good news is there's a ton for you to learn :)

Loona

Managed to get back to playing after deleting data from the digital version and redownloading.
Today I finished getting all the "main" endings (there's a poster in the Team Mexico ending that references Terry Rogers from SNK's wrestling game 3 Count Bout!), but there's oddly still a stage track missing in the Gallery - how come the one before/above Verse's doesn't appear for me?... Everything else in the sound section is already unlocked...

Managed to play some games online today - not bad at all, considering some of those involved connecting with Japan.
I do wish the Character Data section had a separate count for online and offline matches played and won with each character, the stats could be handy to help settle on a team.

GGs Deps.

The 1st set when I saw it was Athena, I knew I was going to be annoyed since Benimaru doesn't have any lol. Mature's dp is pretty crazy, it's invincibility beat out numerous other moves (beats Leona's ex moonslasher clean) and is safe on block while she can mix it up with other ex moves for frame traps. It's something I need to look up about I guess.

2nd set, man my Andy hit confirms are booty. I have this problem with him where I do a string and the last hit just barely whiffs, so I never really convert into big damage. I never really got a hang of his combos even in 13, so I just play a fireball game tbh. All the characters I really like are meter hogs so it's weird to find a suitable point for me, even though I can chuck fireballs with Andy I don't think he is a good point for me since I don't mesh with his bnbs. I wish Shun-ei didn't look like such a dweeb, he is actually fun to play.

Also Gang-il's level 3 ranbu is pretty garbage compared to some other characters, it wasn't as fast as I thought and the invinicibility wears off pretty fast after the initial super startup. I wish Jae Hoon or Dong Hwan were in instead of Gang who is suppose to be a mix of the two. His ground normals feel really stubby and a lot of times I get the non-cancellable far versions of his normal when trying to pressure up close. Though that air hangetsuzan is pretty easy meter build.

3rd set I don't know why I picked Alice, because I already knew I was booty with her. I did figure out rolling is a decent option against Mature's options since the run and dp will whiff. Though I never really convert off anything with Ralf and Alice tbh lol. I probably will lab up what I can do after rolling her moves with a character I feel comfortable with. I think at some ranges Love Heart and someone like Shun-ei can convert pretty well after a roll.

qcf x2

Ugh, I'm determined to make Sylvie work. But it's tough going up against the likes of Iori, Kyo, Kula, Love Heart, etc and having basically NO range to speak of on normals and no useful cross up (I think B crosses up but hit stun is too brief to be reliable). She can do damage, but she needs to be literally in throw range, whereas nobody else needs to be that close.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ugh, I'm determined to make Sylvie work. But it's tough going up against the likes of Iori, Kyo, Kula, Love Heart, etc and having basically NO range to speak of on normals and no useful cross up (I think B crosses up but hit stun is too brief to be reliable). She can do damage, but she needs to be literally in throw range, whereas nobody else needs to be that close.

Yeah, she plays like an annoying buzz of electricity, which... makes sense! But it's not the easiest thing at all. Her jumping and ground CD are basically her real footsie tool, and her hop D is her poke. ground Far D and C aren't bad for Max Bypass into QCF+K confirms into OTG Punch Super, but it's not the up close stuff we all wanna do.

cr.b,cr.b.st.b,f+B -> MAX Bypass EX qcf+BD also works well for that same DM confirm.

Hop B is a fine crossup... on a ducking opponent... at the exact right distance. HP might RARELY cross up a standing opponent who.. like... stood up into it. But this isnt' a reliable tactic at all.

EX qcb+p has armor, but who cares, it doesn't block lows, so it's normally just horrible sweep bait.

Other than DMs, I think I get the most damage with her in battle by using rdp+k to punish footsies, jumps, and hops, actually. It has good start-up invulnerability and moves forward well. But it's NOT the best anti-air, because it trades a lot, as the "hit" portion takes time to reach jumping opponents. qcb+p is better as an AA, but you kinda have predict for it to work.

I think she's a fun first positon character, who builds meter by being annoying and gets wins by pestering the opponent. I feel I have the same aspirations with her as I do with Mian, but Mian's toolset is overall stronger / simpler to work with. If you hop game is good enough to get the openings in corners, she can totally get the damage and be an anchor, but it's SO MUCH harder and straight-forward for her, compared to many others.

Deps

GGs Deps.

GGs, connection was solid.

Yeah, anchor Mature is crazy. You have to play really defensive and hope for a whiff. Ex dp is only punishable by 1f cmd grabs and only if its blocked from closer ranges.

I felt alright vs most of your characters, except Andy. Vs Andy I was getting zoned like crazy. This is my 1st KOF so it took a while to figure out how to get around fbs.

I got some matches going earlier tonight and even if I got my ass kicked a lot I had tons of fun. Catching unsuspecting people off guard with KoD's Justice Hurricane's guardpoints is so much fun.

The last guy got a little weary of getting close to me

Although the first time i jumped online I got a message about NAT2 making hard to properly connect or something? Anyone knows what that meant?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I
Although the first time i jumped online I got a message about NAT2 making hard to properly connect or something? Anyone knows what that meant?

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/nw_test.html

NAT 2 means your system is connected using a router with some security rather than directly to the internet with a static IP. Most games are fine with it, but fighting games can be finicky. KoF just warns you what your NAT type is, unlike most games.

I'd think it should be fine for connecting to most players and having a stable connection to them.

Getting more and more use to the games systems. hell in order to expedite my learning I went out and bought KOF XI at the local retro gameshop. various things apply i found like cancels and what not so its not too different feeling. I did realize how much nicer it is to hold a DS2 over DS4. really surprised that outside of a couple games, much of this series seems to be held in high regard which not many franchises can do.

Edit: watching youtube vids, TS NerdJosh's Mature is unbelievably scary. I cant comprehend how much shit he does, its just swiping after swiping after projectile etc.

qcf x2

Booing / cheering needs to be in every fighter. I literally laugh out loud when it happens, and I voice my opinion frequently.

For whatever it's worth, I ONLY get boos when I'm playing, lol. Except when I almost had an OCV with Sylvie.

MechaX

Ended up picking up the game yesterday despite how I have never really gotten over losing Vanessa.

I only had the chance to play a few matches with friends at 3:00am while dangerously drunk, but we vividly remembered a fucking Dinosaur Man tearing shit up.

Yeah, obviously I didn't give this game enough credit.

Im having trouble with wakeups. practicing with king now and say i get in the corner i cant seem to get out unless i somehow get the guard cancel roll. Can i input moves during wakeup or something?

Amedo310

Im having trouble with wakeups. practicing with king now and say i get in the corner i cant seem to get out unless i somehow get the guard cancel roll. Can i input moves during wakeup or something?

Yes. King's only good wake-up reversals are both versions of surprise rose and the ex-version of the double back flip super. All of the moves mentions are three frames on start-up.

qcf x2

Matoor is so strong right now. Too strong for my childish mainstays Sylvie and MuiMui.

I'm liking Hein as a lead/mid character lately, his normals are good (thankfully, it offsets the other two) and even though he feels "basic" it's in a good way... you can easily cancel his moves together for big, confirmable damage.

SAB we gotta play sometime so I can see what your Sylvie is looking like. I haven't graduated to Mian or my avatar yet. Having too much fun with the simpler characters!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Tried the patched netcode:
I got my first 3 bar connection OMG!!!
It was a laggy mess, completely unplayable. :(

So yeah, at least for me, SFV is the only fighter i can play online.
Im happy for those that can play KOF online, it's a big step up from KOFXIII

Amedo310

I have no idea how I'm suppose to play her. Just poke all day I assume? I really hate her jump ins.

cr. C into Sword or qcf+B. After a confirmed qcf+B, (neutral vertical jump to do a 3 frame safe jump high or low mix-up) or (otg sword super)

Anyone found any cool stuff with Kensou yet? I'm thinking of subbing him as my point cuz Alice does really poorly against some common leads (lookin' at you, Athena and Nakoruru).

Is he meant to be played more as a zoner or at midrange? Never touched him in any of the previous KOFs so I'd appreciate a few tips!

qcf x2

Tried the patched netcode:
I got my first 3 bar connection OMG!!!
It was a laggy mess, completely unplayable. :(

So yeah, at least for me, SFV is the only fighter i can play online.
Im happy for those that can play KOF online, it's a big step up from KOFXIII

Uh, are you basing this off of one attempt after the patch? The bars still aren't accurate, so you can get a great connection with 1 bar for example.

Is it just me or love heart kicks ass?

She's great, but I made the mistake of thinking that because I was steamrolling people with Love Heart that I was somehow good at the game, lol. She feels almost like 3s Chun Li, though I guess Nakoruru is that level.

I have no idea how I'm suppose to play her. Just poke all day I assume? I really hate her jump ins.
Yeah, pretty much. Just cr C poke and fish for confirms with the sword and sword super. Back + B has surprising range if you land a close normal first and it adds more damage than it probably should, so throw it in there whenever you land a close C/D. Her jump ins suck because she's probably meant to be played grounded.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Uh, are you basing this off of one attempt after the patch? The bars still aren't accurate, so you can get a great connection with 1 bar for example.
Im basing it off in two nights of tryin' to get a playable game :(

Amedo310

Anyone found any cool stuff with Kensou yet? I'm thinking of subbing him as my point cuz Alice does really poorly against some common leads (lookin' at you, Athena and Nakoruru).

Is he meant to be played more as a zoner or at midrange? Never touched him in any of the previous KOFs so I'd appreciate a few tips!

Midrange. Dp+k and hcf+C have autoguard. Hcf+C can go through most jump in attacks. Jump B is his cross up button. F+ A is a overhead by itself and a good move to confirm into from cr. A, st. A, st. B and cl heavy normals.

Edit: The more I think about it. Kensou can at mid range and a zoner.

I don't feel bad about losing to anchor Mature anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ak-c5BnR4

Also posting for posterity

jxWSgP7h.jpg

But really I do think that raw max mode is too much for anchors. They get about 4-5 ex moves off 1 bar and it's absolutely ridiculous on some characters, while other characters have unsafe specials even when ex.

Hyun Sai

If you want to see the meaning of Despair, just watch MarshallLawKof grand final against LazyFreddy and his Nakoruru at East Coast Throdown.

BadWolf

I don't feel bad about losing to anchor Mature anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ak-c5BnR4

From what I've tested against EX Despair:

- The main thing is to block it standing, if you block crouching then she is positive on block.
- She basically has to space it so that after being blocked she is out of range of a throw, if not then she gets thrown for free. Both command and regular throws work.
- If she spams more than one in a row then the opponent gets a guaranteed throw punish because after the second one she lands point blank.

If you want to see the meaning of Despair, just watch MarshallLawKof grand final against LazyFreddy and his Nakoruru at East Coast Throdown.

She needs to be fixed, but they are letting her get away with murder. She is sliding in their face and often ends up point blank, they can just throw her.

Hyun Sai

F
She needs to be fixed, but they are letting her get away with murder. She is sliding in their face and often ends up point blank, they can just throw her.

Yeah, and LazyFreddy is not even good with her spacing. The sad thing is Marshall is the far better player...

qcf x2

I just bought KoF today and never played one before. Anyone have any starter teams I should go for?

Go with whoever you like, man. Do some trials and see who clicks for you! The rule of thumb is don't pick Angel because she's a unique play style & don't pick Verse because... it's not nice. Apart from that, you have 48 wonderful options. Athena and Ryo/Robert/Yuri are probably the easiest if you're transitioning from Street Fighter.
Im basing it off in two nights of tryin' to get a playable game :(

That sucks, do you know what's causing it? Are you in Siberia or something? I've played people in other countries with basically no problem.

From what I've tested against EX Despair:

- The main thing is to block it standing, if you block crouching then she is positive on block.
- She basically has to space it so that after being blocked she is out of range of a throw, if not then she gets thrown for free. Both command and regular throws work.
- If she spams more than one in a row then the opponent gets a guaranteed throw punish because after the second one she lands point blank.

That's good to know, I'll give it a try when I run into her.

Top Bottom