• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kotaku Destiny 2 Review Is Something Else

I think this review epitomises why Destiny gets so much shit thrown at it, often unfairly.

For some, it's a love. Fine, absolutely fair enough. But for many it's not. That's also fine. However, because the game demands time investment, it hangs around in the zeitgeist for ages, and is thus picked over again and again. But there isn't a vast amount of stuff there, and this is where the endless 'Is it an MMO' conversations start from. So those who don't like it just don't get HOW someone can be so invested in something that to them, was finished 3 months ago. To them, levelling alts doesn't mean anything, because it's the exact same shit in the exact same way, but to the invested, it means a helluva lot, because the nuances of the game appeal so much, as does the community feel. Furthermore, there are loads of other games that do things better than Destiny, in some way, and to the uninvested, it's like 'hey, pay fucking attention, journos', but to the invested it's 'nobody does it quite like this'. Whilst I lean to the former, I think that's accurate for the latter. For me, this level of devotion is incomprehensible when MMOs do so much of the progression/community side way better, and I prefer other shooters. But that's me. Someone will correct me.

There's no real right or wrong, but I gotta say I bounced off this article with the feeling that 'I do not recognise your world, and that's OK. That said, really?!'.

This is so me, and it has been ever since the first game came out, especially on Kotaku. It was like a million articles about Destiny with virtually nothing to say to anyone that wasn't straight-up addicted to the game. If I could see a line graph charting my activity on the site, it would absolutely tank for a few months there.

And it's not like I just didn't want to read about a game I didn't play. I do that a lot! But the site at the time was really bad at making such accessible content. Not only did you need to be playing the game to get the articles, you needed to be playing it almost daily.

Flavius

Did you "get it" though? It turns your original take into a tautology, and thus renders it powerless.

It isn't a tautology, you knucklehead. The original question I responded to could have been responded to in any number of ways. My reply was a pretty simple, one word response stating my opinion that I don't believe there was any reasoning beyond reaching the largest possible audience. Believe it or not, there are (or were) plenty of outlets that had no issues developing niche content.

This clearly isn't it. This isn't something unique or creative. That's the point.

No one else bothered to respond. I struggle to see your hang up here.

Falchion

Let me first say that I enjoyed reading it, but as a 'review' it was terrible. I really connected with some of the narratives because it really mirrored the social experience of playing Destiny with friends, but this would be better off as an oral history type response to the game, not a review.

Top Bottom