• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kotaku Destiny 2 Review Is Something Else

Man, you guys are no fun. I really enjoyed this review, it accurately conveys the feelings and experience of playing the game from a variety of viewpoints, while also being a nice little bit of fiction. Sure, it's far outside of the norm of what typically constitutes a review...but so what? It was far more interesting than your average review, and it's not like anyone here ragging on it was depending on Kotaku's review of Destiny 2 to make a purchasing decision. Heaven forbid people get a little creative.

Read it.

I want to know what should be my take away from this review? Am I being sold on the editor or on the game? As a big believer of more /enough can be said with less, I'm inclined to believe the former, which is ironically unfair to a game he loves. After a certain point, it just comes off as pretentious. Sorry, I'm a displacement kinda guy, not one for distance.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Destiny 2 is a more competent product than its predecessor, and perhaps a less interesting game as a result. It doesn’t have the same idiosyncrasies and shortcomings, and it doesn’t seem to hold its players in such low esteem. It doesn’t dare us to break it as often.

Bungie has stripped out so much of the nonsense we previously had to keep track of, and almost every simplification has been for the better. They’ve added a story that makes sense, even if by doing so they’ve robbed their robe-clad sci-fi world of some of its mystery

So it became worse by becoming better.

jdstorm

Banned
So it became worse by becoming better.

In a way yes. Part of the joy of Destiny 1 was that it was brutally tough "often for inexplicable reasons" and that made memories. One of my favourite Destiny moments happened like this.

I'm a fairly antisocial player but i had found a group on The100 and we were doing the nightfall. I forget what it was called but it was in old russia and involved breaking into Rasputin's bunker. We had been having a brutal time of it but we had finally gotten to the final room. After numerous tries (and fails) we were once again about to be destroyed by little flying sniper robots comming from the walls (Shanks?) It was the the game started lagging. Now Destiny 1 had some strange lag quirks. Sometimes the game would go ahead without you and kill you instantly, but in this instance as a way of compensation everything slowed down. I had entered the matrix and everything slowed down to a crawl, i was dancing in between enemies, dodging shots shooting with accuracy (a rarity for me as i'm pretty bad at shooters). I almost solo'd this room of bullet hell while waiting for my still targeted teammated to respawn.

Alas it was not to be. I wiped with 2s left on one of my teammates respawn cycles and that round was over. We eventually beat the activity, but it was the laggy failed round that will stick with me forever.

This is not what a review is supposed to be, instead of giving concise information it just ends up confusing potential buyers. Do a proper review, then put this up as a D2 related opinion piece or something.

So thread title is accurate, this review is literally something else.

MC Safety

Man, you guys are no fun.

The no fun argument is perhaps the worst, most dumb criticism you could level at anyone for not liking what you like.

Reviews don't have to conform to a prescribed pattern. But they should serve the reader more than they do the author, and this fails miserably in that regard.

I think this review epitomises why Destiny gets so much shit thrown at it, often unfairly.

For some, it's a love. Fine, absolutely fair enough. But for many it's not. That's also fine. However, because the game demands time investment, it hangs around in the zeitgeist for ages, and is thus picked over again and again. But there isn't a vast amount of stuff there, and this is where the endless 'Is it an MMO' conversations start from. So those who don't like it just don't get HOW someone can be so invested in something that to them, was finished 3 months ago. To them, levelling alts doesn't mean anything, because it's the exact same shit in the exact same way, but to the invested, it means a helluva lot, because the nuances of the game appeal so much, as does the community feel. Furthermore, there are loads of other games that do things better than Destiny, in some way, and to the uninvested, it's like 'hey, pay fucking attention, journos', but to the invested it's 'nobody does it quite like this'. Whilst I lean to the former, I think that's accurate for the latter. For me, this level of devotion is incomprehensible when MMOs do so much of the progression/community side way better, and I prefer other shooters. But that's me. Someone will correct me.

There's no real right or wrong, but I gotta say I bounced off this article with the feeling that 'I do not recognise your world, and that's OK. That said, really?!'.

hotcyder

Is this the video game equivalent of Pitchfork's notorious Kid A review?

Yeah but somehow worse.

I'm all for reviews being written from an anecdotal point of view - I mean, you sort of want to know the person reviewing it as much as the product to get a feel for where they're coming from. Even ones that try to be objective like TotalBiscuit are still loaded from his point of view - where performance and presentation is as important as content.

But this was just utter nonsense. I'm not sure why he came up with fan-fiction characters to roleplay different points of view when it would of been easier and far more appropriate to ask other people for their own points of view. Like all the rambling of a Tim Rogers piece but with none of the likeability. Really detracted from the good points he made about the title.

If the backlash is big enough I imagine Kotaku will spin around a more conventional review to appease - or double down and polarise more of the audience. A shame - i'm all for experimental stuff, in till it ends up as absolutely awful writing like this.

anothertech

Lol that is a good review right there, if you have the time :D

Nothing wrong with obsession ladies and gentlemen. I applaud it.

HotHamBoy

Okay, I skimmed some more.

Still not sure why Kirk thought a novella about fictional characters playing Destiny 2 was good reading material, especially for a review.

Flavius

Nothing unique about it,OP. Reads like any number of blog posts that I've seen posted here and elsewhere over the years. Where is your editor, friend? She or he certainly did you no favors here. I struggle to see indications of any sort of an editorial review process. I suppose fictional characters could enhance your message, so long as those characters were compelling. Unfortunately, these...aren't.

I'm all for trying something different. This isn't different.
It's a whiff.

RRockman

Banned
Maybe if this was a preview it would be better? Or as a separate side piece where they go over how destiny affects other people's lives? I'm definitely not liking it as a review.

Maybe if this was a preview it would be better? Or as a separate side piece where they go over how destiny affects other people's lives? I'm definitely not liking it as a review.

Yeah it is an opinion piece, not a review.

The fact i can say that and be understood shows how flimsy our terms are :D

As someone with an above average attention span, I ain't reading all that shit.

To summarize

- It's a more competent game than the first one
- Better with friends

That would probably make a nice article on it's own but as a review, it's not a good one. Well, can't blame them from trying something new.

A finnish game magazine called Pelit did a similar thing way back with silent hunter 4, not as a review but as an article. It was written in log form, as if they were actual captains engaged in naval warfare. I remember how cool it was to read about all the wacky hijinks that ensued. Made me interested enough to try the game even though I don't really care about simulators, and still don't as I came to realise.:p

Branduil

That would probably make a nice article on it's own but as a review, it's not a good one. Well, can't blame them from trying something new.

A finnish game magazine called Pelit did a similar thing way back with silent hunter 4, not as a review but as an article. It was written in log form, as if they were actual captains engaged in naval warfare. I remember how cool it was to read about all the wacky hijinks that ensued. Made me interested enough to try the game even though I don't really care about simulators, and still don't as I came to realise.:p

See, that actually sounds interesting though. Unlike a piece of fan fiction about people who play a single video game religiously.

this is written for fans of destiny

i'm sure they will enjoy it

don't jump on a writer just because he writes about something you don't like

(i have no interest whatsoever in destiny myself)

hotcyder

this is written for fans of destiny

i'm sure they will enjoy it

don't jump on a writer just because he writes about something you don't like

(i have no interest whatsoever in destiny myself)

I'm a medium sized fan of Destiny and I thought the article sucked big butts.

Not jumping on him because he wrote about something I didn't like, jumping because he wrote an absolutely nonsensical novella that just happened to be about people playing Destiny.

See, that actually sounds interesting though. Unlike a piece of fan fiction about people who play a single video game religiously.

True enough. It's still a better article than the one that tried to paint apple trackpad to be the best gaming controller ever made... Now that was something else.:p

I'm a medium sized fan of Destiny and I thought the article sucked big butts.

Not jumping on him because he wrote about something I didn't like, jumping because he wrote an absolutely nonsensical novella that just happened to be about people playing Destiny.

a big part of the game is its community tho

Man, you guys are no fun. I really enjoyed this review, it accurately conveys the feelings and experience of playing the game from a variety of viewpoints, while also being a nice little bit of fiction. Sure, it's far outside of the norm of what typically constitutes a review...but so what? It was far more interesting than your average review, and it's not like anyone here ragging on it was depending on Kotaku's review of Destiny 2 to make a purchasing decision. Heaven forbid people get a little creative.

I agree with this, a lot!

Yes, people were complaining about this being "Destiny 1.5" when what they actually wanted was Destiny 1.2.

Myself included.

Totally on point. A Destiny 1.2 would have been amazing!

Nuts2U

Why write a review for fans of Destiny if they are the most likely people to buy Destiny 2 and thus the least likely people to need a review of it?

If we're writing destiny fan fiction Where's the part you suggest someone does a change to their loadout to be more useful to the party and they refuse because they like what they currently have better?

Why write a review for fans of Destiny if they are the most likely people to buy Destiny 2 and thus the least likely people to need a review of it?

Probably because the people who hated Destiny or rather who lamented the loss of 2013 version of Destiny weren't gonna be won over by Destiny 2, anyways

Just saying.

Cruxist

To everybody saying it's an opinion piece and not a review, literally every review is an opinion piece. It's just that, 99 times out of 100 it's structured in a predictable way that ticks off x number of boxes to answer, "is this thing good?"

The reason I like this review is because I still have no idea if Destiny 2 is "good" but I enjoy playing it a ton, and the highs are great while the lows make me super pissed off and upset at wasted time. Is that a good game? Probably not in an objective sense. It's complicated.

The fact that so many people bounced off this structure isn't really surprising to me, just kind of disappointing. Especially those hat just read a section or two. For something that's really not so long, I'd encourage you to at least read the whole thing. It's a narrative exercise that, while perhaps a little ham-fisted, rings true to the exeprience I've had playing Destiny 2, down to mindlessly grinding while supposed to be talking on the phone. If you think it's a bad review, that's fine, go read any of the number of other reviews out there that are in a style you find more approachable.

But I think this is a great piece, and considering how much everybody fights over review scores, is a great attempt at breaking away from the traditional review method.

Zzzonked

Yes and know. Its almost like you need (i)"here is a review for someone who knows nothing about the genre" and (ii) here is a review for folks who really understand the genre.

Destiny is unique in that its an MMO-lite that brought MMO(ish) type game design to the (dare I say) casual audience of your average FPS player and or Single Player RPG guy. (This is me). Couple that with the Bungie pedigree, and you have a different type of social game that is not just for the more hardcore MMO types.

In other words, (and I say this with love), Bros are now playing MMO's because of Destiny. And like it or not, there has not been another developer that has been able to quite capture it.

Ubisoft tried The Division. And while a good game in its own right, it failed on the end MMO type grind (and it just wasnt as satisfying to play (ie Gunplay).

Diablo 3, is a looter (and of course predates Destiny), but doesn't require such team coordination that Destiny (or other more advance MMOs) need. Its just looter.

EA will get its shot with Bioware's Anthem. Looks cool, but in the end...it has got to be simply fun to shoot bad guys. Bioware hasn't been the kings of gameplay (as Bungie preeety much perfected the FPS on console), but time will tell.

Anyway, yes, Destiny is indeed a specific game that brought MMO-lite to the masses.

So true.

I like the concept; it's much more like freewheeling reviews of other media. The execution was ... okay. I'd like to see more game reviews branch out from being pure product reviews that point out features and flaws, but this ain't quite there.

gattsu

I don't like this as a review. As an article? Totally fine. But I dunno, not my thing for a review.
Eh, kotaku reviews are always non traditional and come with no score. I think it works very well. Props to Kirk! I really enjoyed reading it. And I love to see games journalists break out of their shells and try new pieces and approaches.

Hey, New Games Journalism isn't dead after all! There was a time in the noughties it seemed like every piece on games took this kind of format.
You'd read an intro something like "Tidus dodges the ligthning strike. I flashed back to my dad beating me with a belt. Flash. Belt. Flash. Belt." and you'd know you were in for some good old NGJ!

Top Bottom