• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us crashing phat PS3s.

Meia

Only on chapter 5, haven't locked up, but that fan is loud as hell now, even if I'm playing something else...

Don't want to jinx anything, but I have the 60GB and I haven't had a crash yet. I'm 40% through with New Game Plus (normal). And I've also played about 4 hours of multiplayer. Really hope this doesn't happen.

J-Rod

Nope, the new sony firmware still doesn't fix this issue. My ps3 still crashes even in MP.

Man fuck you Naughty Dog, why are't you guys responding nor doing anything to fix this problem?

I don't think this is ND's problem to address, because I doubt there is anything special in the code causing a handful of the oldest model PS3's to crash. How could you even diagnose it when people with the exact same model aren't having any problems? I think it is more likely just the individual device failing.

IronRinn

I played through it on my 60GB and I didn't suffer a crash. The most I noticed was two days ago, I triggered a cutscene but had no image, just sound. It took a second and then played normally. I do notice that the fans are working harder than when playing most games. This has been over the course of 20 hours or so, 2-3 hours at a time. I should probably look into opening it up and cleaning out any dust that's in there.

In the end, I finished the whole thing on my 5 year old Phat 80gb and only had the one crash, early on. The rest of it was smooth sailing, no matter how hectic things got on screen.

Alebrije

Finished the game without problems and my old fat 20 gb PS3 is full of dust...guess I will clean it...but maybe the dust keep it working....lol !!!

spyguy

60 GB Fatty and no crashes at all. Just lots of noise from the fan. I had a 10 hr marathon session as well. I was worried though when the fan kicked into overdrive though.

Doomshine

Played through the entire single player (20+ hours) on a phat 40gb, no crashes.

Lately I've been playing the multiplayer on my brother's slim (I think it has around 300gb of space?) and it crashes almost every time I exit the multiplayer, anyone else experiencing this?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This thread makes it seem like Slims are having more issues than Phats.

(Again, Phat here, and no issues whatsoever beyond a loud fan.)

Clean your machines people.

Vacuumed my launch PS3 and finished the game without freezes or crashes.

I want to do this but I'm not sure how. Is it literally just using a handheld vacuum cleaner and sucking the dust out through the air vents? Did you have to open the PS3 for it? Can you recommend a good vacuum? Thanks!

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So weird.

My phat 40GB ran it like a champ for 19+ hours with no problems. (Downloaded it)

Never cleaned it since I bought it in '08 either.

OmahaG8

Launch 60 GB here*. I keep my PS3 in a cabinet, behind a glass door and have it rigged up to a USB fan that takes heat out from the back when the PS3 turns on. Never had any heat issues before TLoU. Ramped up to speeds I never heard before.

Now I just open the door when playing TLoU and all is well, never gets loud.

*I have reseated the heatsinks with new thermal paste some time ago, and that in and of itself kept my PS3 fans from ever going very high

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Launch 60Gb model here, never a single crash.
However it gets really hot, as usual with the 60gbs model. One time it turned off by itself due overheating whie i was playing TLOU. I never had this problem before, not even with games such as Uncharted 2 and 3.
No idea why, i clean it very often and its placed in an open ventilated area.

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_lAo7QTHc
Yes, as OP posted, this is exactly what happened only once.
So its not overheating then?

Seriously don't know how I can enjoy this game, the fan noise is unbelievable!!!

The people down stairs thought I had a dam hair dyer on!!!!

Defuser

It's been a month and no response from Naughty Dog. I already dismantle and clean out my ps3 not to mention I place a fan directy pointing at my ps3's vents and it still crashing playing TLOU. I don't believe its a overheating issue.

Sigh.......

SoulUnison

Banned
I've played through the single player a time and a half, and logged up to the 4th week of multiplayer on my launch 60GB PS3 - no crashes or problems so far.

Its sad that this game killed my day one launch phat PS3

R.I.P :(

I got a slim like months ago as a back up like if I felt something is going to happen

solid mike

I haven't bought TLoU but I am planning to as soon as the price goes down. I have an 80GB phat that has only YLOD once and that was like 5 months ago. Though I am still scared that it can't handle The Last of Us.

I think I have solved the problem, at least for me. Edit: Scratch that, it crashed again. But I was able to play long sessions, and strangely it only crashed while the game was paused.

My guess is that the problem was with the hard drive in the PS3, it was either mechanically failing, or there was some corruption in the file system (probably coupled with a bug/incompatibility in the game that makes it prone to crash with an HDD in that state).

The facts (I don't think most of the below matters, but listing it anyway. Bolding the ones that I think might have made a difference):

I have an 80GB MGS4 bundle phat PS3. Never had a similar problem before.

I was on Cobra CFW 3.55 and I had replaced the HDD with a 1TB one that has gotten a fair amount of use (installing and deleting games, changing firmwares, etc.)

I ripped the game, installed patch 1.01 and the 3.55 fix and started playing.

First crash happened around 2 hours in
not long after meeting the leader of the Fireflies

It crashed again after 10 minutes of play. I updated to 1.02 and it crashed again after another 10 minutes of play time (I was at the point where
it is night and raining outside, and there are soldiers with flashlights
)

I looked the problem up on Google and GAF, read some threads with all kinds of speculation on why the problem is happening, but didn't see any conclusive solution.

I decided to go all-out with a "shotgun approach" of changing every variable I can. This is what I did:

I cleaned the console and vaccumed the vents.

Replaced the 1TB HDD with the original 80GB one that came with the console (PS3 formatted it upon replacing).

Updated the firmware to REBUG 4.30.2 REX

From the PS3 recovery menu I did: Restore Default Settings, Restore File System, and Rebuild Database.

Disabled Internet Connection from XMB settings (someone on some forum suggested it)

I installed the latest multiMAN (ver 04.40.00 BASE) and the game, did NOT apply any patches, and started playing a new game (since I couldn't restore the save files). I have since played about 3 hours and reached well beyond the point where it started crashing before without any new crashes (I'm currently inside the
slanted skyscraper getting my ass handed to me by the infected
)

I can't say that I have fixed the problem for sure yet, but I am fairly confident that I have.

If you have another HDD laying around that you can use inside the PS3, I would first suggest you do that (without making changes to your current HDD, so you can restore back to it if you want).

If not, and you would like to try as few changes as possible, I would recommend trying the following from recovery menu in this order:

1. Restore Default Settings
2. Restore File System (Warning with this one. If it finds an error it can't fix it will force you to format).
3. Rebuild Database

None of the above should delete any of your games or data from the HDD (except trivial things like messages and playlists, etc.)

If the above doesn't work, and you don't have another HDD to try, then you might want to use "Restore PS3 System" (this WILL wipe out everything, but it should also fix any logical file system corruption).

recoverymenu.png

Ruuppa

Was just about to continue my Survivor run, and seconds after loading my progress I hear three beeps from my PS3(old one, Japanese launch import) and it crashes. Subsequently it has proven impossible to turn on or even eject the disc.

Every time I try to turn it on now it spools up the fan, emits three beeps, the power-light flashes yellow and shuts down.

I can probably salvage my saves from the HDD, and eject the disc manually, but is there any hope for the console?

Edit: So is there any way to manually eject the disc from a CECHA00 -model PS3? All of the links I've found are for other models.

I'm dying to pick this game up, but these stories about The Last of Us killing PS3s scares the hell out of me. I have an old 20GB PS3 (upgraded the HDD, of course), and my PS3 crashed once already in the past during Uncharted 3 multiplayer... I've been crash-free since then, which was around two months ago.

I have the new red PS3 and it keeps crashing at about the 10 min mark. What can I do?
Can I ask you or anyone similar experiencing similar things a question? Does this only happen with The Last of Us or is it with all other games?

I'm dying to pick this game up, but these stories about The Last of Us killing PS3s scares the hell out of me. I have an old 20GB PS3 (upgraded the HDD, of course), and my PS3 crashed once already in the past during Uncharted 3 multiplayer... I've been crash-free since then, which was around two months ago.

Can I ask you or anyone similar experiencing similar things a question? Does this only happen with The Last of Us or is it with all other games?

For me it's on The Last of Us... and from reading online it's the same for most people, that and Uncharted 3 (or 2, not sure). Many people report only these two games crash their PS3s.

Faithless

After playing TLOU all the way through several times, I got my first full lock-up in multiplayer. Then, I started getting green blobs on the screen when I reset my system.

My friend's system also died when playing TLOU. I know it's anecdotal, but I've never had a problem with the machine until now, and neither has he. TLOU killed both of our systems. Phat, 60gigs.

This is what's on my TV now.

After playing TLOU all the way through several times, I got my first full lock-up in multiplayer. Then, I started getting green blobs on the screen when I reset my system.

My friend's system also died when playing TLOU. I know it's anecdotal, but I've never had a problem with the machine until now, and neither has he. TLOU killed both of our systems. Phat, 60gigs.

This is what's on my TV now.

Damn. I don't think I want to risk playing the game anymore :(

Alebrije

So , What is the "safest" console to play TLOU :

PS3 SLIM or SUPER SLIM?

I have a FAT 20 GB and played without problem. But I need to get a new PS3 for a gif...

Seik

Banned
80Gb (No BC) Phat here and I'm around 70% in the game and no crashes or anything like that so far.

The fans are loud as hell though, I'm going to clean it with the air compressor at my job this week, it'll probably help since it's been more than one year since I did this.

Ataraxia

So , What is the "safest" console to play TLOU :

PS3 SLIM or SUPER SLIM?

I have a FAT 20 GB and played without problem. But I need to get a new PS3 for a gif...

Has anyone had any problems with super slim? For me I couldn't hear the fan once with my super slim system. Not sure why but I think it has something to do with it being newer than the older models and maybe because the system is so small it doesn't retain as much heat???? The only issue for me with the super slim is hearing the disk drive whenever it spools but I don't think it's as bad as fan noise.

Annubis

I'm assuming the ambient temperature plays a part into this.
A hot sunny summer day probably doesn't help.

crappy joke time: I guess you could say TLoU is killing its 'fan'-base

my phat 60gig launch ps3 crashed two times during the prologue alone.

pro tip: bring your ps3 in a vertical position and crashing will stop

olimpia84

This shit is crazy. I was able to finish The Last of Us without a single issue on my phat PS3, yet I can't get past chapter 3 on Uncharted 3 due to the 'loading issue' or whatever it's called. This is fucked up and I'm really upset...Uncharted 3 is the last game in the series I have yet to beat

Mogwai

Has anyone had any problems with super slim? For me I couldn't hear the fan once with my super slim system. Not sure why but I think it has something to do with it being newer than the older models and maybe because the system is so small it doesn't retain as much heat???? The only issue for me with the super slim is hearing the disk drive whenever it spools but I don't think it's as bad as fan noise.

Finished the game on my super slim around release. I got the PSN version, so no noise from the disc drive. My system didn't sound like it was under heavy load at all. The fan speed increased a wee bit during the sessions as with all games, but the game didn't crash one single time.

Faithless

Yeah, I got through the game 3 times to completion without a crash. My system was vertical, in an air-conditioned room with a REVERSED ceiling fan above it to pull heat away from the floor.

Multiplayer was great for a while (Level 60, so I put in some time), but now I can't get through a single match without getting the green blobs or graphics lock-up.

Ordered the coffin. Getting it repaired.

Top Bottom