• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us crashing phat PS3s.

No crashes. Finished it two times on a Phat 40 GB model upgraded to 160 GB.

First playthrough, 16+ hours on hard.
Second playthrough, 16:50 hours on hard.
Starting my third one on Survivor.

No issues. No save issues at all. Didn't use the patch so far. Haven't tried multiplayer as i plan to sell it along with the online pass.

Playing the blu-ray copy and not the DD one.

Superflat

MGS4 bundle phat, handled TLOU like a pro despite using it like a work-horse for years. BUT there are some visual glitchy things going on while I play certain games that lead me to believe it's going to die any second.

My friend on the other hand, had his phat PS3's laser fail on him while playing TLOU. He ended up buying it again digitally and played it to the end that way, LOL

Said this before, but my first phat PS3's laser died during my first playthrough of Uncharted 2 and it was a bitch to replace myself.

Stop killing me and my friend's consoles with your amazing games, Naughty Dog! Goddamn!

I'm definitely buying a slim sometime in the future.

Cheech

Well, what I CAN confirm after taking my 40 gig apart that what Sony used on these systems can only be called "thermal paste" in the technical sense of the word. It was very shoddily applied too.

Would not surprise me if that was the issue with all these older systems.

That said, even once I cleaned things up and reapplied fresh paste, the system still kicked the fans into overdrive on certain games. Never crashed though after I did it.

Disclaimer: I have several decades' worth of experience building PCs. This is not something to attempt with no experience. Old PS3s are a pain in the ass to disassemble, and even harder to put back together. You will almost certainly ruin your console if you have no experience, and that includes reapplying thermal paste correctly.

Good luck!

Not the first time a big game is supposedly causing overheating problems. Could it be that in some cases, the console hasn't been maxed for a while, has been sitting collecting dust, and it was on the verge of overheating anyway?

It's also... summer in many countries.

My phat's fan does not spin up any differently in TLOU than previous ND games.

If someone can make a video of TLOU causing their PS3 fan to spin up significantly more than Uncharted 3 in the same conditions... I might believe it. Otherwise I don't.

Dragnet

I have a slim, the game crashes as
Joel exits the lift
to a black screen with some weird ambient audio. I'm 99% done says my save file, why is this happening now :(

Cheech

60GB launch unit phat here, didn't crash or freeze for me. Haven't changed the HDD.

The hard drive and Blu Ray have nothing to do with this.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to take some canned air and blow out the insides of the thing. I'd recommend taking the shell off first.

64fanatic

Neo Member
Its cold in my basement but I think this is the first time I've heard my fat 60 GB model PS3 crank the fan speed up to max, it is running very hot air out the back, think I might dust it out then to help a bit, opened it years back to replace a dead bluray drive so no biggie :) Just one more year fatty then you can rest...

welp, I was playing online and it i got the red blinking light... fun fact, the fan was not even on fullforce mode, so I don't think it had anything to do with overheating (changed thermal paste and all.

So yeah i'm starting to think the software is causing a hardware crash.

Kolgar

Well, what I CAN confirm after taking my 40 gig apart that what Sony used on these systems can only be called "thermal paste" in the technical sense of the word. It was very shoddily applied too.

That said, even once I cleaned things up and reapplied fresh paste, the system still kicked the fans into overdrive on certain games. Never crashed though after I did it.

Disclaimer: I have several decades' worth of experience building PCs. This is not something to attempt with no experience. Old PS3s are a pain in the ass to disassemble, and even harder to put back together. You will almost certainly ruin your console if you have no experience, and that includes reapplying thermal paste correctly.

Good luck!

OK, what if I'm just going in to blow out cat hair?

My girlfriend's 40-gigger took off like a jet engine the other day while I was waiting for her to join me with TLOU sitting at the title screen. I looked at her vents and they are pretty dirty (thanks, Chloe the cat).

I had planned to open her up and clean things out tonight, but not mess around beyond that. Are you saying it's a disaster waiting to happen?

GamerSciz

My 60gb ps3 already crashed at
Hotel basement generator section
more than 10 times and crashes more then I can count even before that. I tried other games but they do not have this problem. It's kinda depressing to buy a $60 game that doesn't work on the old ps3 more than half of the time because ND didn't QA to work on the phat PS3.

I am exactly here but it has yet to crash, launch 60gb here...

I myself have mounted a few PCs, not years of experience and it was fairly easy. You just need a tutorial. But if you've never even opened a PC, chances are you're gonna mess up.

IJoel

My 60gb launch ps3 sounds like jet turbines when playing the game, but I've been lucky and have had no crashes in more than 6 hours of gameplay. I have the latest FW, and have not updated the HDD.

Lakitu

st5fu
lol I gave my old launch 20 gig phat PS3 the kiss of life today and decided to order Last of Us. I think I'm going to regret this. Have too many money woes to contemplate getting a new PS3. Fuck.

Pimpbaa

ND really likes pushing Playstation hardware to it's limits. Like Crash Bandicoot, which a full playthrough would read from the cd-rom drive more times than it's rated for it's full life. TLoU definitely making my PS3 spin it's fan higher than usual. No crashes yet though.

Good luck!

TLOU actually forced me to do this with my slim a few days back. Definitely made about a 2-fan speed difference.

lol I gave my old launch 20 gig phat PS3 the kiss of life today and decided to order Last of Us. I think I'm going to regret this. Have too many money woes to contemplate getting a new PS3. Fuck.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna risk it tonight and rent it.

Uncharted 2 killed my BC 80 GB's blu ray drive, so I'm literally kind of scared.

Zaki2407

My launched phat 60gb PS3 is not worthy for TLOU. It already crashed 2 times. It sounds like a jet engine during the game.... (@_@)

themightycasey

Neo Member
My 80gb phat has been doing just fine with this game. Yes the fans do get loud, but no crashes. About 91% thru the game so far, so looking like my console will make it without any trouble. *knock on wood*

calder

Not the first time a big game is supposedly causing overheating problems. Could it be that in some cases, the console hasn't been maxed for a while, has been sitting collecting dust, and it was on the verge of overheating anyway?

Personally I'm confident that's a big part of it. It happens fairly often when a lot of people start playing a new game at the same time, especially a new game that gets people using their system that they haven't used heavily in a while. I remember when I think Halo 2 or 3 had a few threads about it killing consoles.

Modern Warfare 2 killed my launch 60g PS3. :( My PS3 was basically an occasional PSN release machine and a bluray player at the time, and maybe wasn't up to playing three hours of the MW2 single player the night it came out. YLoD and I ended up racing to WalMart at 11pm to get a slim so I could keep going.

Honey Bunny

OK, what if I'm just going in to blow out cat hair?

My girlfriend's 40-gigger took off like a jet engine the other day while I was waiting for her to join me with TLOU sitting at the title screen. I looked at her vents and they are pretty dirty (thanks, Chloe the cat).

I had planned to open her up and clean things out tonight, but not mess around beyond that. Are you saying it's a disaster waiting to happen?

If you're just opening it up to clean with compressed air, it's not difficult. Removing the case and blu ray drive is simple enough for anyone as long as they're careful about it. Don't expect to solve the jet engine issue though, it will delay it coming on by an hour or so but it always will, eventually.

I have a launch 60gb and had multiple crashes while playing the last of us. I actually bought a new slim 320gb because I figured mine was finally on its last legs.

D-Stubbs

I've been playing TLoU on my launch 60GB fatty. Yeah I can tell the game has been pushing it hard, the fans do get pretty loud. I get a kick out of how warm it makes the room too. It's hanging in there though, haven't had it crash or anything. Thing's a beast.

SiteSeer

100% cell broadband engine & RSX utilization, if the phat dies it dies gloriously.

i don't have tlou yet, but its taken on and defeated the three uncharted games with the minimal technical issues.

Got a Phat 60 GB

The fan sounded like it was struggling and working its arse off to get through the game, but fortunately I didn't run into any glitches except in the very last room of the game, one of the AI decided to run back and forth between bits of cover without hiding. Was a very smooth experience.

Kikarian

I've got the 60GB fat model which crashed twice.

Once it froze and the other the PS3 just turned off completely and wouldn't turn back on until about 5 minutes later.

I bought a PS3 to play this game, and this has scared me a bit. It's a launch system that had the YLOD, and the fans already run pretty constantly while playing Killzone 3 MP. Hmm.

Birbo

Phat 80GB (upgraded to a 320GB) here. Game has the most abysmal load times and makes my PS3 sound like a jet, but after about 5 hours, no crashes here.

Danny-Boy

80gb phat, the final phat model before the slim. I don't think I've had a game run so smoothly and quietly on this system before. The fans are quiet and I've only heard the disc access a few times. The hard drive seems to be going crazy but again, very quiet. There's no install, I wonder how they are doing it.

SoulUnison

Banned
I've got a 60GB launch PS3 that's still chugging along. I was literally getting ready to head to the mall to pick up TLOU before I saw this thread. Now I'm hesitant.

I just played through Uncharted 3 (Digital Version) about twice in the last week and I never had any freezes, crashes or performance issues.

Think that's a good enough sign I can safely play this game?

I don't have the money to replace my PS3 Phat should something go wrong, and it's the only way I can play my PS2 library, too, so I really don't want it to wonk out on me.

80gb Fat with BC. I played the game 4-5 hours straight at launch...actually, I played the game the whole day at launch with a few break here and there and no freezes.

Played multi a few times, and nothing. It makes my fan a bit crazy, but it is hot in my room.

atomsk

Party Pooper
NA 80GB fat (motorstorm bundle)

13 hours, no crashes, one graphical issue (getting caught in ending sequence, the background was solid blue and not rendered, not sure if that was supposed to happen)

Fans got louder every time it was loading in more than 2-3 enemies, was a good early warning sign :lol

edit: should mention I put on new thermal paste last year, arctic silver mx-4

Orca

I had a hell of a time getting it to do the update. It would get to the actual install part and then beep three times and go back to the main menu. I'd start the game again and get the same cycle. Eventually it went through, but it's not giving me a lot of hope.

Sean

Banned
The fans on my 40 gig phat unit go absolutely nuts with this game but I've started my fourth playthrough and so far so good.

It could be that there's dust clogging up the heat vents. Had an issue with an old laptop where it would shutdown all of the sudden. Opened it up and found clumps of the stuff that I needed to blow out. Cleaning it made it work like brand new.

It froze once for me when I threw a bomb. As the bomb was exploding, my PS3 froze.
It happened when
Ellie and David are in a room and Clickers, Runners, and a Bloater attack you from all sides in a large room

kswiston

Is this happening with all versions of the game or just disk-based versions?

I have an 80GB MGS4 bundle phat, and have had no problems until now. I am currently about 12 hours into the game, or ~65% completion. No crashes or loud fans or anything. I'm playing the digital version though.

I don't remember ever having issues with Uncharted either. However, I play my PS3 under 100 hours a year on average.

neto

one graphical issue (getting caught in ending sequence, the background was solid blue and not rendered, not sure if that was supposed to happen)

The same happened when playing at my friend's house, no walls or floor rendered but instead of solid blue it had white dots like if they were stars on the sky, anyone else had this? is this normal?

AllenShrz

I've been very luck with Sony consoles, I tired one hour of this game on my phat and no issues to report. And about 14 hrs in on my slim and no issues either.

My PS2 and psone launch consoles still works on.

Top Bottom