• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us crashing phat PS3s.

knitoe

I haven't experience any crashes on my launch 60GB PS3 although I have only made it to Bill safe house. Don't know if it matters or not, but I barely use my PS3, only for exclusives which could be months apart.

Soulflarz

Banned
Every Fat PS3 will die........ We all know it. The question is when?

No! I refuse to accept it! Mainly cause my friends slims have died first and my only faulty thing was the drive so i upgraded

Didnt have that problem in UC 3.
Same, didnt know it existed till last month or 2

*Also after reading all of these above i think its safe to say you can probably play through the game without issues and the issues wont (generally) do anything more than a reboot needed

I've had this problem with UC2/UC3 and others in my phat post-ylod 60 gb PS3. Every time though, I turn the internet off and it works flawlessly.

Mogwai

Been playing 13 hours total on my superslim and it hasn't been making any noises at all. I'm playing the PSN version, though. No freezes either.

Sounds weird that the game can burn down the phats.

Dysun

80GB Phat, hardlocked once when I was about to reach a checkpoint after murdering like ten fools. That sucked. Also two sections had to be restarted from the checkpoint, the event trigger to open a door wouldn't show up

Guess I should be glad I got a 120GB Slim PS3. My fan used to get loud but I cleaned it off and now its as silent as the first day I got it. In all seriousness though, this is a game meant for PS4 if PS3's can barely handle it.

afoni

Banned
I'm on an OG 60GB console and I played through the game with zero issues bar some graphic glitches that only a pedant would notice.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Uncharted 2 and LBP caused my original 20gb fat to hard freeze constantly. It was replaced and the one that replaced it ran those games and Uncharted 3 fine. However the GPU on it died in October, so now I have another 20gb refurb. No problems so far and I keep it vacuumed out, but it won't surprise me if it freezes my system. The graphically heavy games seem to be real hard on the PS3. LA Noire made a lot of PS3s get too hot and freeze up.

Doomshine

I have an EU 40gb phat and haven't had any problems. Well, it did crash once when I was going to download the update for the game, but I don't think that counts.

Haklong

It made the fans in my launch 60gb go crazy. When I got to a certain part the system crashed. I was unable to get past that part because the PS3 kept crashing. I wasn't sure if it was the game or the console overheating so I switched to my PS3 slim. Need to reconnect my phat to see if it's still alive.

Kinyou

I stopped playing for the moment because there's some heatwave going on. It had like 30° in my room and the Ps3 fans were just going craaaaazy. I was really worried that something might break. I'll try it again when the weather changes.

snitsky

I feel like I'm some absurd outlier or something. But I've got a launch 60GB and I've never once heard the fans or had any issues at all. The thing is whisper quiet to this day.

Theorymon

I beat the entire game on my phat US 60 Gig with no issues. I could have gotten lucky though. Also, my 60 Gig was a refurbished unit I bought used 5 years ago, don't know if that effects anything.

Mokubba

This happened to me when playing Uncharted 3 but I have a slim.
It kept on freezing at a cutscene. I restarted it many times but still would always freeze.

I took out the disk and saw a huge fingerprint on the edge of the disk. After cleaning it, it started working again

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
80GB EU Phat, +20 hours in The Last of Us, finished Uncharted 3 twice, not a single problem encountered. Guess I'm just lucky.

Launch 60 gig. Not a single crash and I'm 90% through the game. I have a custom cooling system for my PS3 though, so maybe it's a heat issue?

legbone

I'm afraid to go and play the game again. Phat 60 gig here.

yep, same here. i too have a fat 60 and i haven't played the game since sunday because of my fear. when i was playing it it would crash my ps3 about once an hour. i never even made it to the spoilered part yet.

i have had the three blinking lights and the system shut down. i have also had it just freeze and i had to power off the system at the back to continue. i have also had it make my hard drive (upgraded to 250gb from the original 60) start making this weird clicking sound followed by a screech that continued on a neverending loop. it was weird.

this really sucks because i was loving the game. i may wait until the ps4 streaming of ps3 games to play this since i really don't want my ps3 to die right now. surely the last of us will be one of the titles on the streaming service since they described it as a greatest hits service.

Spartan FI

Neo Member
Have a EU Slim with a 750 GB HD. When playing the Last of Us the console have never been this loud before.

Worked fine but the game stated locking up when
Ellie teamed up with David in the winter section after she fell down the pit with maybe 7 clickers.
After maybe 3 deaths the game would lock up a few seconds after a respawn. Happened 3 times in a row and ingame not at the pause screen. After the next checkpoint the game worked fine though. No auto-save problems either so far.

Natiko

Banned
I played through the entire game over the course of at least ten hours split into two sittings on a phat 80GB PS3 and never had it crash.

daveo42

Banned
40GB phat with replacement hdd and I've had it lock up a few times, but for some reason, unplugging and plugging my controller back in has fixed it a few times. Yes, I've been playing with the controller connected since I'm so close to my TV/PS3.

First crash I did not test this and ended up hard resetting after the game locked up on the tutorial screen.

Gibbo

posted this in the official thread - my 2 year old slim died on me while playing this game. When switching on the set, the green light turns on for 3 seconds, fan whirls abit, then the whole set just shuts down

Top Bottom