• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us crashing phat PS3s.

I don't have a phat ps3 but the last of us did make my slim ps3 ( not the newest model) freeze once. Had to restart and it never happen to me again.

No crashes for me but this game is really pushing the system. I have a PS3 Slim and after playing for a few hours, my PS3 is really loud. Fans are running full bore.

Interesting thread.

I was starting to play Last of us yesterday and my launch PS3 got so loud and then i heard 3 beeps.

When i would start it after that i got the yellow light and my game was stuck inside. I had to open that shit and open the blu-ray drive to take out game disc. That was interesting but i like to believe it is not the game that fucked up my damn Phat PS3.

Original phat 60GB here but I replaced the HDD with a 160GB a good long time ago.

I played through the game with only one issue. The cutscene that plays after the chase with Bill wouldn't play. I could hear audio but the screen was all pixelated and the cutscene would appear sped up or just outright freeze. Even a reboot and a replaying the section wouldn't help.

I finally reloaded an older save starting back at the beginning of Bill's town and replayed through and the cutscene played without a problem so it seemed like a corrupted save file was causing the problem. Outside of that - zero problems at all with the game.

Binabik15

ND really doesn't understand the killer app thing.

Now I'm glad that my fatty died a soldier's death already in Feb and I have a Super Slim to play it without glitches and bugs when my Zavvi copy gets here in a few years.

WolvenOne

Well thats, just, perfect!

I've been holding off grabbing this, because money is tonight. Now I feel like I have to wait until I can swap out my 60GB phat for a newer model. *sigh.*

Also, don't worry, I don't use my phat for backwards compatibility. Too many PS2 games run oddly on the thing. Its most just, the expense. Plus getting all my data transferred over. Ugh, pain in the neck. :p

Fantasmo

Interesting thread.

I was starting to play Last of us yesterday and my launch PS3 got so loud and then i heard 3 beeps.

When i would start it after that i got the yellow light and my game was stuck inside. I had to open that shit and open the blu-ray drive to take out game disc. That was interesting but i like to believe it is not the game that fucked up my damn Phat PS3.
Jeez dude. Flip the back switch or unplug it, let the system cool off, flip the back switch on again, and turn the system back on before you do PS3 surgery at least.

ALM5252

This is no myth.

This game straight up SLAUGHTERED my PS3 40gb fat after only 30 min of play.

Killed it dead.

image.php

This comment really worries me on my 40GB. Maybe I'll just wait until a patch or I get a new PS3. haha

legacyzero

Banned
Interesting thread.

Same EXACT shit happened to me, only a fellow Gaffer gave me a trick to get the disc out with opening the console lol.

YOU OWE ME A PS3 ND!

lupinko

My copy of TLOU made my friend's 40GB go kaput, actually his PS3 has YLOD many times already, dunno why he keeps doing those reflows.

NekoFever

I finished it on my 60GB fat PS3 (upgraded with 500GB HDD) with no technical problems beyond a particularly long opening load - so long that the percentage went backwards sometimes. The fans go up to full speed but that's not unusual for my PS3. It does that playing PS1 games.

PAL 80 GB phat here, hasn't had a single crash with the game.
I played it for over 14 hours now.
The most "dangerous" things I got were graphical errors, mostly parts of the level that wouldn't render or not render fast enough, but that could be a common bug in the game, I dunno.

I have the download version from PSN, so maybe that's related to the problem, somehow?

Slim 320gb here, TLOU killed the bluray lens on the bd drive. This is my kids ps3 and for now I'm just going digital with their console. I took apart the whole system and cleaned the laser, no dice. I need to order a new laser for it.

Slim 320gb here, TLOU killed the bluray lens on the bd drive. This is my kids ps3 and for now I'm just going digital with their console. I took apart the whole system and cleaned the laser, no dice. I need to order a new laser for it.

Now this post in particular is interesting. You have one of the newer PS3's and this happened to you, now that's bad. Now even I'm worried about my 120GB Slim if it happened to your 320GB.

Same EXACT shit happened to me, only a fellow Gaffer gave me a trick to get the disc out with opening the console lol.

YOU OWE ME A PS3 ND!

I have a PS3 Super slim that i got about 3 weeks ago as a trade for a 3DS XL so i happen to have a second unit.

Honestly when it happened it sucked but there is no way i am doing the reflow thing to it, for what?? That is temporary solution.

I tried powering it on and immediately hit eject and nothing. I got some screwdrivers and performed an operation to get my game but i never put it back and just tossed it in a trash bag at midnight and took it to the trash bin, i removed the hdd and will buy an enclosure to transfer my shit today.

Launch until yesterday. 20GB served me well

i was hoping it made to PS4 launch so i can clean it and put it in the original box and store it away.

smr00

Banned
80gb phat, about five years old, no crashes or lockups yet.
This.

My fans don't even go that crazy. To people who are having problems, when was the last time you opened it up and cleaned it?

EDIT- Could it be an issue with the older HDD's? I put a 250gb drive in mine years ago. Haven't had any crashes/lockups and my fans sound normal.

Showaddy

I was actually worried about the game killing my PS Fat as the fans been sounding like a demented wasp the last month or so. Gave the vents a once over with the vacuum and after a worrying amount of dust came out I stuck the game in and it actually runs quieter now. It definitely chugs a bit at large open areas.

Also after I heard about the Autosave problems I only load manual saves so and Iv'e had no problems on that front.

zroid

Banned
uh oh, hope my 80GB holds out

I'm planning to start TLOU today. lol I've been saying that since Saturday, I just keep on playing Animal Crossing instead. Sigh... what is my life.

80gb phat, no problems so far. The fans don't ramp up too high, but i'm still thinking about opening it up for cleaning and repasting soon since i'll probably want to replay this game a few times in the future

I'm almost curious if this is related to the weird GTA4 crash that was discovered. If so, it's no wonder not everyone is seeing it. GTA4 caused a certain batch of PS3s to crash in the intro. This would be both on dev/debug kits and retail units. There was never a patch for it because it was hardware related. The solution was for Sony to swap out your system for a replacement which they did regardless of your warranty situation as long as you mentioned the GTA4 crash.

zma1013

I'd imagine the problem is similar to the Uncharted 3 problems where the way their streaming technology works it simply overworks the older PS3s.

This.

My fans don't even go that crazy. To people who are having problems, when was the last time you opened it up and cleaned it?

EDIT- Could it be an issue with the older HDD's? I put a 250gb drive in mine years ago. Haven't had any crashes/lockups and my fans sound normal.

I agree, people don't clean their consoles and after 5 years of use they are pretty stuffed up inside. I have a fat 60gb that i put a 500gb HD in, quiet as a church mouse.

If your fan is seriously that loud, you need to clean your console. At the very minimum spray it out with duster, even better open it up and clean it.

Sky Chief

I have an 80GB phatty and the game plays but it is like there is a constantly flashing strobe light in the game. I thought I was going to have a seizure so I traded PS3s with my cousin. His slim works great.

I have a 60gb launch PS3 and this happened to me. The first time I started the game up was fine but then the next day I couldn't get it to start. It kept making my system restart every time I tried to boot up. I gave up for awhile and it miraculously worked again.

Also, the fans on my PS3 have always been ridiculously loud but when I'm playing this game I feel like there's a prop airplane in my room.

JRW

uncharted 3 murdered my launch ps3

i will miss ye, old friend

Played through Uncharted 3 on a 60gb launch ps3 without any issues.

About a year ago I noticed the fan seemed louder than usual, Opened PS3 and cleaned it all out (it was pretty bad) Since then the fan rpms doesn't go nuts like it had been.

Naughty Dog doesn't care about Phat people.

This needs to be changed to the thread title. Pure gold. Hahaha.

I havent had a problem with my 500gb slimmer slim. God of War Ascension DID break my launch day fatty though.

Are these problems happening during long sessions of play?

Thankfully I never experienced this with my fat PS3, but I did have the autosave glitch which forced me to just keep the game paused all day until I finished it.

Vyse

Gold Member
Hope mine holds out. At a conference this week and I'm looking forward to playing when I get home.

Uncharted 2 used to tax the hell out of my 60 before it died. It's probably much more a reflection that all these units are just about to die to be honest, the naughty dog engine is super demanding.

Big picture: if you still have a working 60, it is going to die. Natural law. They simply all go kaput eventually especially with demanding games like naughty dogs or SSMs

My fat PS3 died when I was watching Wall-E bluray a few years ago. My slim didn't really make much noise during my play through of TLoU, although I did have my sound system loud.

dralla

ugh yes, I have a launch PS3 with full BC and it's crashed 3 times on me now playing TLOU, it's making me very nervous. I don't want to lose all my shit, fix this shit plz :(

Top Bottom