• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varth

I started the game yesterday, i´m 6 hours in and i have to say that so far is not a 10/10 but surely is special. The way the game sucks you into the atmosphere and the characters relationship is incredible.

It´s a 9/10 for me because i hate the fact that a mechanic like the Listen mode is in the game, it completly destroys the game, and the AI companion invisible to the enemies. It´s anticlimatic and takes you out in the most tense situations in the game.

We need next gen AI ASAP.

While this is no FFXIII, it builds up slow in the first 3-4 hours. It's a long game, so don't be hasty. It's got a whole stack of aces up its sleeve.

But for god's sake, disable listen mode. It sucks the life out of the tension. Also, please stop for a moment to think how the game would be with instadeath enemies and "visible" AI. It was a tough choice, but all for the better. If you feel the game isn't challenging enough as it is, raise to Hard. I really enjoyed the challenge with hard+all disabled.

Well it's not the real review since they didn't had enough time to try out the MP and also have high restrictions in showing stuff. They couldn't talk about the beginning and the ending even some voice actors they weren't allowed to talk about. They can only show stuff we've already seen in previous trailers, which is fucking nice if you ask me. GOOD JOB SONY! Don't let them spoil the game for us.

I'm honestly lost trying to understand why people think that spoiling beginning, last part and going into detail on story and characters is an integral part of a review.

The_Monk

It was gamingreplay right? The fact that monday is a holiday really pisses me off, now they'll only send it on Tuesday.
It's a better deal than getting it from PSN man, not to mention you'll have to wait for the official release date.

Yes it was, I believe I gave you the link couple of weeks before? ;)

I might switch on the last minute but it's not going to happen, probably. (Lol). It's just I had to pay full price for it and the PSN Version can become cheaper for me. Either way I will only play it for one day or two because after that I won't be at home for a couple of days. Let me know if you get some of those items they were offering like the UC3 compass! I'm curious.

I'm still bitter for not being able to get the Steelbook.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
While this is no FFXIII, it builds up slow in the first 3-4 hours. It's a long game, so don't be hasty. It's got a whole stack of aces up its sleeve.

But for god's sake, disable listen mode. It sucks the life out of the tension. Also, please stop for a moment to think how the game would be with instadeath enemies and "visible" AI. It was a tough choice, but all for the better. If you feel the game isn't challenging enough as it is, raise to Hard. I really enjoyed the challenge with hard+all disabled.

That's actually a thing I am wondering. Switching off LM doesn't break the game right? I am thinking about going for hard+LM off in my first runthru.

You don't need to use listen mode, hell you can turn it off in the options.
As for the AI, it's not that straightforward. Nothing would be more frustrating than having your stealth blown by something that is out of your control, in this case AI companions, and no matter how good the AI is, there's always a risk of it happening.
ND made the right call there.

I know that it can be turned off guys, i´m playing with that thing off, i mean, i hate these mechanics in general, and the fact that is present in this game is ridiculous. Beyond that, the anticlimatic AI is by far the worst "problem" of the game. Sure, ND made the right call about this, clearly there´s a limitation of how AI companions work and we desperatly need more and better AI programming un the future, i really hope next gen bring some kind of innovation on this and not only the obvious graphical leap.

Another thing, it´s pretty obvious that the graphics are incredible but the audio is even better, those guys with a 5.1 system are really going to enjoy it. It´s magical.

Varth

That's actually a thing I am wondering. Switching off LM doesn't break the game right? I am thinking about going for hard+LM off in my first runthru.

Absolutely not. If anything, it's keeping it on that makes it unbalanced. Also, paying attention to sound mostly makes up for it.

I would have been fine with a generic "sound warning", maybe coupled with some false positive in the form of rats and such, but the full outline of the enemy is really overkill.

Yes it was, I believe I gave you the link couple of weeks before? ;)

I might switch on the last minute but it's not going to happen, probably. (Lol). It's just I had to pay full price for it and the PSN Version can become cheaper for me. Either way I will only play it for one day or two because after that I won't be at home for a couple of days. Let me know if you get some of those items they were offering like the UC3 compass! I'm curious.

I'm still bitter for not being able to get the Steelbook.

I tried everything to get my hands on the Survival Edition but if you're in europe it's pretty much impossible. Would've loved that steelbook and it's such a steal because the full artbook is included. I got the Ellie edition because I want the comic but I'll have to buy the artbook separately.
Maybe I'll get lucky with the gifts. They're also giving away games and 3 month PS+ codes.

I know that it can be turned off guys, i mean, i hate these mechanics in general, and the fact that is present in this game is ridiculous. Beyond that, the anticlimatic AI is by far the worst "problem" of the game.

Another thing, it´s pretty obvious that the graphics are incredible but the audio is even better, those guys with a 5.1 system are really going to enjoy it. It´s magical.

It's completely optional, no point making a big deal out of it.

So does beating it on normal unlock Survival? I want to do my first playthrough on normal and then jump straight to survival. New game+ is tied to the difficulty level so I don't want to "waste" more than one playthrough.

Varth

So does beating it on normal unlock Survival? I want to do my first playthrough on normal and then jump straight to survival. New game+ is tied to the difficulty level so I don't want to "waste" more than one playthrough.

IIRC ng+ is not tied to level. Did mine on easy after playing on hard, and started a new save for Survival.

Pachimari

I tried everything to get my hands on the Survival Edition but if you're in europe it's pretty much impossible. Would've loved that steelbook and it's such a steal because the full artbook is included. I got the Ellie edition because I want the comic but I'll have to buy the artbook separately.
Maybe I'll get lucky with the gifts. They're also giving away games and 3 month PS+ codes.

It's completely optional, no point making a big deal out of it.

Normal opens up Survival yes.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Absolutely not. If anything, it's keeping it on that makes it unbalanced. Also, paying attention to sound mostly makes up for it.

I would have been fine with a generic "sound warning", maybe coupled with some false positive in the form of rats and such, but the full outline of the enemy is really overkill.

Ok, that's good to know! My fear was that the gameplay was built around LM. If that isn't the case then I am perfectly fine with how they handled it.

vehn

There is Survivor+. Its gonna have to take four runs Im guessing.

Hard -> Hard+ -> Survivor -> Survivor+

That Hard+ run is gonna have to be my collectible cleanup run.

I don't think you have to do hard + to get survivor + though. New game plus probably unlocked once you beat that difficulty, and beating survivor + would unlock easy, normal and hard +

maverick40

I am 3/4 of the wat through I am guessing and I turned if listen mode once the game started. Do not play On hard for your first playthrough because I am playing it on normal with listen mode disabled and it is still a big challenge but not frustrating at the same time!

The Last of Us: A love letter to Naughty Dog

Just summed up my thoughts on it here. After eight years, I now have a game worthy of taking over my 'my favorite game ever' mantle from Metal Gear Solid 3. It's truly special.

Note: there aren't no spoilers in it, so you can read it without fear.

Very nice read, MGS3 is in my top 5 games of all time too and it's probably second or third after Shadow of the Colossus and Dark Souls so that's high praise indeed. Can't wait to play this game now

Pachimari

I am 3/4 of the wat through I am guessing and I turned if listen mode once the game started. Do not play On hard because I am playing it on normal with listen mode disabled and it is still a big challenge but not frustrating at the same time!
Well I completed it on Normal and I definitely think people should start on Hard. You often have ammunition on Normal.

IIRC ng+ is not tied to level. Did mine on easy after playing on hard, and started a new save for Survival.

Form the eurogamer review:

A New Game Plus option allows you to keep upgrading Joel's skills and weapons where you left off, but ties you to the difficulty you finished on - odd, since difficulty can be adjusted on the fly in your first play-through.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-05-the-last-of-us-review

I guess they messed up.

Normal opens up Survival yes.

Thanks.

Varth

I am 3/4 of the wat through I am guessing and I turned if listen mode once the game started. Do not play On hard because I am playing it on normal with listen mode disabled and it is still a big challenge but not frustrating at the same time!

It's still challenging on normal, yeah, but Hard lets you appreciate enemy AI fully. Even if it means getting mashed on some fights, you never really feel frustrated since most of the times fights play out differently.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yup gonna go for hard+ LM off. Judging from some of the comments here it's meant to be played on that diffilculty. The whole point of the game is that you are trying to survive against all odds.

Yup gonna go for hard+ LM off. Judging from some of the comments here it's meant to be played on that diffilculty. The whole point of the game is that you are trying to survive against all odds.

Bah, now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want my first playthrough to be too frustrating. For people who have played it, would you recommend hard + no LM for the first playthough? I'm pretty good at these types of games.

Varth

Yep, just checked. You can start at the same or lesser difficulty level compared to the one you completed.

Bah, now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want my first playthrough to be too frustrating. For people who have played it, would you recommend hard + no LM for the first playthough? I'm pretty good at these types of games.

Once again, a resounding YES. The tone of the story and the action fully sinch when you're playing like that. Most fights leave you beaten and with the bare minimum of resources, pondering if you want to take the risk of exploring around to scavenge a couple of scissors and explosives, and trying to come up with some plan of action that makes use of the few weapons left. When you nervously, quickly, instinctively check bullets after a fight the immersion is total.

Also, dunno if any other review mentioned it, but I really loved that there's no "magic hiding spot" in the game where you can hide and shoot and enemy can't do the same. You can see them, they can see you. You can shoot them, they can shoot you. Getting out of a fight unharmed is a 1/100 event that comes out of planning.

Varth

OK, but what I was saying was that since I can't jump straight to survival the first playthrough will be wasted since it wont carry over to survival from normal or hard.

New interview with Neil Druckmann:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/07/the-last-of-us-neil-druckmann-on-creating-a-future-classic/

Nope. I plan 3 playtroug minimum for platinum. Totally worth it.

Got it pre-ordered for a stonking £30, thanks flubit!

Where? Want to buy a copy to show support.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well it's not the real review since they didn't had enough time to try out the MP and also have high restrictions in showing stuff. They couldn't talk about the beginning and the ending even some voice actors they weren't allowed to talk about. They can only show stuff we've already seen in previous trailers, which is fucking nice if you ask me. GOOD JOB SONY! Don't let them spoil the game for us.

GT will have a full review once the restriction about showing and talking about different parts of the game is gone.

I find it hilarious that GT isn't doing a full review mainly because they can't spoil the shit out of it like they always do.

Just summed up my thoughts on it here. After eight years, I now have a game worthy of taking over my 'my favorite game ever' mantle from Metal Gear Solid 3. It's truly special.

Wow, what a write up. Superbly written and honest.

MGS3 wasn't my favorite game ever, but it does hold a special place as being the first game that I ever finished. The gameplay and twists were that good. Right now Uncharted 2 holds that title for me. It was my first PS3 game ever

And I absolutely love stealth. For the longest times, I was torn between preordering Splinter Cell Blacklist or The Last of Us.

A game has never made me get emotional. Even few movies can do that. The last to do so was The Impossible. So I really hope that The Last of Us is that special game.

aristotle

Screw you guys. I'm playing on normal with listen mode on for the first playthrough. I'm playing it the way I'm meant to play it! ;)

Pachimari

Play it on Hard without LM.

I were more frustrated of of the times I were fully loaded with all of my guns than when I had ran out of ammunition.

Jarmel

Banned
Ugh Survival isn't unlocked from the get-go? I really wish they had some unlock code like Platinum Games. It really sucks having to go through the game once to play it on the hardest difficulty.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ugh Survival isn't unlocked from the get-go? I really wish they had some unlock code like Platinum Games. It really sucks having to go through the game once to play it on the hardest difficulty.

Konami code.

Just kidding.

Made a hype video in April. This will be the last time I pimp it. Honest!

I'd love it if it was in the OT! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0mpRSx4UI NO SPOILERS AT ALL.

That was surprisingly good. I liked it

Larson

Banned

MGS3 has always been my favorite game. I seriously cant wait to The Last of Us. Its a big possibility that this is going to be my all time favorite game.

I were more frustrated of of the times I were fully loaded with all of my guns than when I had ran out of ammunition.
I usually play on normal, but I'm going to make an exception for TLOU

Hard w/o LM to start, then Survivor

How different is Hard from Survivor? Is it just less player health, more enemy damage or are there better equipped enemies, remixed enemies, less supplies, etc?

The Lamp

I have a friend coming over the day I get it who wants to watch me play. However, he gets extremely frustrated with games easily, especially when you die, so as much as I want to play it on Hard mode without LM, is it really hard? Like lots of trial and error, but more fun that way anyway?

I found Hard mode in the Uncharted games kinda hard, lots of dying and trial and error for me, so I'm wondering if it's the same or worse or what.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Representing today.

EDEB4F19-4EE1-455E-84F9-FBC2CB4EDB4B.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom