• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metascore predictions

Loris146 - 97
Fancy Corndog - 97
Alchemy - 97
Ricky_R - 95
VanCityGamer - 94
GribbleGrunger - 94
DukeBobby - 93
jacksepticeye - 93
Badosh - 92
Vire - 92
Pharmboy044 - 91
Soler - 91

Winners recieve hypothetical candy.
Hell, I'll get in on the fun too. 96

And what about a hypothetical plain pound cake? I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like candy or ice cream

Eyothrie

Are any of the reviews dropping at midnight tonight? I haven't been keeping up, but I'm curious now

Edit: I'll read the title next time :/

Damn, my daughter is due to be born the day after this releases here (in Japan, the 20th).
Don't know how I'm going to justify it to my wife :p.

Amir0x

Banned
Damn, my daughter is due to be born the day after this releases here (in Japan, the 20th).
Don't know how I'm going to justify it to my wife :p.

Is it a scheduled birth, c-section or induced? Otherwise, babies rarely come on exactly the day they're supposed to, maybe you'll get "unlucky" and have to be stuck playing Last Of Us while you eagerly anticipate your brand new daughter?

Amir0x

Banned
Stopped reading at Quantic Dream.

haha exactly what I did

it's like the perfect way to tell whether someone can be taken seriously about game storylines

'did you like the story of Heavy Rain?'
'yes'
'ok thanks for your time, I'll ask someone else.'

Is it a scheduled birth, c-section or induced? Otherwise, babies rarely come on exactly the day they're supposed to, maybe you'll get "unlucky" and have to be stuck playing Last Of Us while you eagerly anticipate your brand new daughter?

Not scheduled. Yeah it could be 10 days late or something, but I still don't know if my wife will go for:

"Don't worry I'll try to finish it before she comes out. Come on, it got a 10/10 from Edge!"

H2Yo

The real question is, who has the balls to place their bet below 90?

Anthony Gallegos was given death threats because he gave Uncharted 2 a 4.5/5.

Sure, death threats on internet comments/forums generally mean nothing but asshole bravado, but it's still disgusting to think people would do that.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
95 sounds like a nice figure, not quite amazing but still okay.

SIMON-CONFUSED-GIF.gif

Drek

Why does the community at large give Metacritic so much weight? I just took Experimental Psychology and when you're analyzing results and scores, stuff like means are probably the least accurate description of the overall results because a single outlier score can pull the entire mean one way or another and misrepresent the actual results.

Personally I don't give much mind to a number scores. A number is an arbitrary designation, a singular icon that somehow has to represent every flaw and every success in a game. And that's just utter impossible.

What does a score of 7 or 8 or 8.5 even mean? I mean just look at the response to the Edge score. A 10 has weight because perfect scores are rare. But a perfect score from OPM? Disregarding because so many games have been awarded 5/5. Same scores, different meanings. For this reason alone reviews that give the same score aren't comparable and that's not even considering the actual review.

What matters is the content of a review. Describing what worked, what didn't, why, how it could have been improved. Maybe those good points are subtle. Maybe what amounts to a major flaw for a reviewer is only minor for another. But how can a number score explain all that? It can't.
Stats aren't hard, we all already know this, and you are just stating the obvious. Guessing Metacritic averages is just something that evolved from marketing people over valuing metadata, subjecting developers to it, and therefore it infiltrating the industry's definition of success. Guessing Metacritic score is no more arbitrary than guessing who wins an Oscar or the final four and none of those impact the guesser in a meaningful way (unless they make a real wager). It's just fun little things enthusiasts come up with. Why does this surprise you?

Vire

haha exactly what I did

it's like the perfect way to tell whether someone can be taken seriously about game storylines

'did you like the story of Heavy Rain?'
'yes'
'ok thanks for your time, I'll ask someone else.'

:l o l
The perfect scores for Naughty Dog's The Last Of Us continue to roll in, which is encouraging. But after playing the game for quite some time, it strikes me that perhaps the latest from the Uncharted developer will be revered for it's story. Not only will the story be praised, but it may even be seen as a pioneering narrative, maybe even akin to something Quantic Dream would produce.

I think this game will do exceptional sales wise, almost every one I've talked to about the game who don't have PS3's considered buying one. Every ps3 owner I've seen online/off said they're getting the game.

As for review scores, there's no convincing me that this game will get ANYTHING lower than a 92 metacritic MINIMUM.

Vire

I would love nothing more than for this game to unseat the undeserving GTA IV at 98. I just don't see it happening, I think the industry has changed since then and journalist have possibly learned their lesson.

jediyoshi

What matters is the content of a review. Describing what worked, what didn't, why, how it could have been improved. Maybe those good points are subtle. Maybe what amounts to a major flaw for a reviewer is only minor for another. But how can a number score explain all that? It can't.

If people were willing to read entire reviews, metacritic wouldn't be a thing. I think it's just as confusing to not understand why people put so much stock in review aggregators. They're not meant to address the minutia, they're to give a summary glance of the reception and then to compare that to other things from its same medium.

I'm going with a 96.

95 is my actual guess but I'm giving it an extra point because I'm too excited.

I hope it sells well, haven't seen any tv spots--I'm guessing we'll see more once it's actually out.

Stats aren't hard, we all already know this, and you are just stating the obvious. Guessing Metacritic averages is just something that evolved from marketing people over valuing metadata, subjecting developers to it, and therefore it infiltrating the industry's definition of success. Guessing Metacritic score is no more arbitrary than guessing who wins an Oscar or the final four and none of those impact the guesser in a meaningful way (unless they make a real wager). It's just fun little things enthusiasts come up with. Why does this surprise you?

I'm not talking about guessing. I mean how in general people just put so much weight and emphasis on these aggregated scores like those from Metacritic. Just look at the whole "certain Metacritic score=bonus" situation.

And my comment was aimed at number scores overall. I'm sure you've seen how worked up posters get over certain scores in countless threads, sometimes without even considering the actual content of the review

Soler

Banned
this game won't have an oscar worthy story I'll tell you that
But who needs an oscar when you have citizen kane

Vire

I'm going with a 96.

95 is my actual guess but I'm giving it an extra point because I'm too excited.

I hope it sells well, haven't seen any tv spots--I'm guessing we'll see more once it's actually out.

I've seen quite a few ads for it on the sports channels I watch.

This is the one I saw.
this game won't have an oscar worthy story I'll tell you that
But who needs an oscar when you have citizen kane

It'll legitimately have an Oscar caliber soundtrack with Gustavo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom