• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lead composer for Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Manaka Kataoka (Animal Crossing)

I think part of the charm of Animal Crossing is that they took one theme, and managed to stretch it to so many different songs. You could catch each one, and hear how it had that common thread, but every one had it's own distinct flavor.

Choosing that sort of mind and applying it to the Zelda franchise is excellent, since a lot of Zelda's nostalgia buttons click with the music, but being able to come up with unique spins on an old concept will be excellent.

Mory Dunz

I think part of the charm of Animal Crossing is that they took one theme, and managed to stretch it to so many different songs. You could catch each one, and hear how it had that common thread, but every one had it's own distinct flavor.

Choosing that sort of mind and applying it to the Zelda franchise is excellent, since a lot of Zelda's nostalgia buttons click with the music, but being able to come up with unique spins on an old concept will be excellent.

Zelda historically does it alot with their main themes, especially TP. Most espeically TP
Well, WW didn't do it much now that I think about it.

watershed

Banned

And you can already hear it in BOTW. The big theme from the trailer has been peppered throughout the actual game, for example briefly when Link first exits the cave, I think again when the towers rise, and when the minstrel sings. I think that main melody is going to be used to great effect in different ways.

sfried

I can hear the strings/violin notes slowly play Zelda's Lullaby over the piano bits.

I'm glad the music isn't what you'd usually here in a Zelda game, but at the same time it feels like it fits. The Animal Crossing influences do show, though.

Kind of reminds me when the composers of Kirby's Epic Yarn also decided to give us their take on the older classic tunes.

watershed

Banned
I can hear the strings/violin notes slowly play Zelda's Lullaby over the piano bits.

I'm glad the music isn't what you'd usually here in a Zelda game, but at the same time it feels like it fits. The Animal Crossing influences do show, though.

Kind of reminds me when the composers of Kirby's Epic Yarn also decided to give us their take on the older classic tunes.

Listening to that clip now, you're totally right. I had never heard the horse riding music long enough to hear the strings kick in with Zelda's Lullaby. That's a great touch.

I'm surprised by how well she's done. I didn't get "Animal Crossing" from what I've heard until I saw this. Now it makes PERFECT sense.

It fits to be honest.

TannerDemoz

I'm so excited for this now. Love Kondo's stuff to bits but it'll be interesting to see if there are any new, stand-out melodies that cement themselves in Zelda history!

I think they chose the right composer. She has such a great understanding of how to make the tone of the music match the world. Animal Crossing's hourly melodies are a true testament to her skill as a composer. I feel like her work in Animal Crossing has clearly made a difference on this games music and I honestly think, with how the game works, its better for it.

Sorry for the bump, but we finally got info on that hype track people were 'crying' about.

So, the BoTW soundtrack is almost out, and we FINALLY got some composer info that can put to bed some of the comments made on here.

Information source: https://vgmdb.net/album/75832

1: Yasuaki Iwata was the lead composer who did the majority of the tracks (99 tracks), with Manaka Kataoka doing the second most (69), including the main theme played in the first E3 2016 Wii U trailer. The sound director, Hajime Wakai, composed 45 tracks, including the song from the second Wii U trailer.
2: Manaka Kataoka DID NOT compose the song played for BoTW's trailer at the Nintendo Switch press conference. That song was arranged by Kosuke Yamashita who also contributed arrangements for the Zelda Goddess Symphony Orchestra live performances. (which means some users on here were throwing praise at the wrong person, and I had some theories of why that was, but I'll just grant the benefit of the doubt here).

There were a couple more composers beyond these three that contributed jingles and the like.

Anyway, OST is out April 25th. Got mines pre-ordered. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom