• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Apparently the Edge review says the framerate can get even worse in the WiiU version... Getting even to the "tens"

For some reason I though this game would be smoother on the WiiU, since it was originally developed for, but Nintendo probably decided to push the Switch to the detriment of the WiiU.

Is just one outlet, will wait for other, but it's not a good sign

:(

They normally know what they are talking about so thats not a good sign.
At least we now know something but that's really not good for wii u owners.

There is no perfect game and even a game with a 10 can have it flaws. But when the game is, besides the frame drops, absolutly excellent I don't know why i shouldn'z get a ten. Especially if the frame drops aren't that frequent.
But I wanna see that quote too. Where is it possible to read the review?!

It's not online yet. From the Edge thread

There are spoilers in this post.

I promised myself that I wouldn't buy Switch on launch because I always end up regretting buying launch systems when there are so few games released. But I feel my willpower fading... Zelda is my favourite franchise and this previews damn!

This is me too.

I'm so excited for BotW but I just can't put down $300+ for a new system at launch with the other titles coming out.

It looks so damn good and I'm almost certain that at a personal level, it'll be a MGSV/BB tier game for me.

😔

Jobbs

Banned
Remember Horizon's is GG first outing. This is there Uncharted-like starting point, and it's a fantastic starting point.

Horizon as good as it is, is really just amazing combat with a lot of well done systems we've seen before. Zelda is breaking new ground in a lot of ways, to journalist in gaming, that's always going to be more exciting. I'm listening now, and they basically say Horizon, as good as it is, has potential to be so much greater. For a starting point, that's just an amazing, that it's even in the same breath as something like Zelda, I think GG is pretty happy right now and know they have a good starting point.

Like everyone else, they are going to be looking to Zelda and it's mechanics, and where to take the open-world genre next.

How is botw breaking new ground exactly? By being the first Zelda game in over twenty years to let you actually explore? By being really late to the open world party? By having some simmy elements?

These are good things and I'm excited to play the game.. I'm just curious what's specifically so revolutionary?

How is botw breaking new ground exactly? By being the first Zelda game in over twenty years to let you actually explore? By being really late to the open world party? By having some simmy elements?

These are good things and I'm excited to play the game.. I'm just curious what's specifically so revolutionary?

I don't know if "revolutionary" is the best word but by all accounts it seems to have a shit-ton more emergent behavior from intersecting systems than most open world games.

Bummed that, even with the lower resolution, muddy textures, and conservative design, the game still has frame rate problems.

That said, the game itself seems like everything I have ever asked from a Zelda. Can't wait to play it on Friday. :D

Chaos17

Listen to that podcast, the journalits do a good job to talk about these stuff:
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...-the-wild-first-impressions-on-waypoint-radio

If you're too lazy, read this thread then come back here (lot to read):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233823

It's not about being revolutionary, it's about "done it well".
Graphics is its weakness ? No problem Nintendo will pour on you thousand of features to make you forget and have fun with their game.
Seriously you and other speticals should stop relying on commnents (to convince you) and start actualy reading/watching infos about this game. Make your own opinion.

From what I understand and have seen in various videos from these previews my take on what makes zeldas open world so ground breaking seems to be the fact that you can utilize so many different approaches to how to take on the enemy, use the tools that you have around you, trees, branches, bees, fire, other enemies etc etc. link seems to also be effected by the weather system, makes it dangerous to be out during storms, lightning etc. you can climb and explore everything. There is also more to it than that, but due to the embargo they can't show us yet.
How many open world games can you say this about really?

For me Zelda seems to be something entirely new and I played most open world games.

Scrawnton

Guys please help me from going crazy waiting for this game. I'm having issues passing the time. I can't work on recording my cd because my fiancé is sleeping when I'm off work, my ps+ expired and my new card comes in the mail Monday so I can't play online titanfall, and playing any Nintendo game just makes the wait worse...

What are you guys doing to pass this time?

Guys please help me from going crazy waiting for this game. I'm having issues passing the time. I can't work on recording my cd because my fiancé is sleeping when I'm off work, my ps+ expired and my new card comes in the mail Monday so I can't play online titanfall, and playing any Nintendo game just makes the wait worse...

I'm not passing time. I can't sleep because of the hype for Switch and Zelda. Lol

Lom1lo

Im pressing the refresh button of my browser in the zelda threads, hope this helps !

Going to wo k and playing other video games. Also spending times with my friends and girlfriend.

My week is pretty packed until Friday, so it will fly by.

Then why does it have a fucking ten? A game with not meeting its target frame rate is not a perfect game. Is there a quote somewhere?

For me a game does not need to have perfekt frame rate, I'm judging the game itself, like story, gameplay, how fun and how well written/ directed/ scripted it is. If I have a few frame drops here and there then I'm fine with that. Performance is important sure but as long as it's not game breaking bad I'm oki with it and it should not affect the final score imo

sanstesy

We played Zelda: Breath of the Wild for 30 hours - have any questions?

Hey Chris, So I'm not a big fan of openworld game design. Generally, it just feels like padding or "going through the motions," with towers, thousands of points of interest that rarely amount to anything meaningful, etc... What does Breath of the Wild do to mitigate the monotony of traditional openworld game design?

A lot of open world games feel checklisty. This is a big Ubisoft problem, but it also came up again for Horizon Zero Dawn, and was one of my biggest criticisms for that game.

But with Breath of the Wild, it doesn't feel like going through the motions. You can make your own stories by raiding a Bokoblin camp, finding out a new cooking recipe on your own, chopping down some trees, or meet some wacky Nintendo character while you're traveling from point A to point B. The map isn't loaded down with billions of icons to fetch, just the active quest you've chosen at the time.

Take radio towers. Breath of the Wild has them. But they aren't too numerous, and most of them have their own little mini-puzzles to solve, as well as an interesting character to meet at the top that has a unique sidequest. Looking over the massive spires into the open world is actually fun, and you can use a telescope (with its own icon/stamp creator) to scout out new locations. They went above and beyond the typical open world blueprint.

The dungeons, I know we have the mini trials but I want to know if there are plenty of classic Zelda style larger dungeons as well. And if they are a decent challenge with the puzzles.

I will say though that the puzzles are challenging, yes! More so than ever before in my opinion. Breath of the Wild actually takes a lot of the focus off of fighting and puts more of it on puzzle solving.

Does anything ever feel tedious? Traveling the map, changing clothes, eating, weapons breaking, etc? Also, did you utilize the physics in combat like in that one video (flying with flames and shooting) often or not at all?

Taming horses *can* get tedious. I rarely do it but I know someone will. You need to chase down the horse (if you mess up sneaking up to it, good luck), then soothe it, then run it back to a nearby stable to register it. Once that's done you have it for life and can call it at any stable. I have one horse, he sucks, and I named him "Horsey."

But! There are many different types of horses and they all control differently -- the early ones are akin to a bad GTA car. Like many things in Breath of the Wild there's a learning curve. I find that refreshing given how easy some recent Zelda games have been.

Traveling never gets tedious, I love it. Same with changing clothes (I've only really done it for fun -- my dude, pictured, basically looked like an assassin from AC after I dyed one of my many outfits. Yes, you can dye stuff!) and eating. Weapon management isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I actually like having to use new weapons and learn new tactics, especially on bosses.

How lucrative are the side missions and treasure chests you happened upon? Usually they just provided rupees in previous games. Is it more rewarding to explore and do side quests?

Very lucrative, for little gaiden side story missions that provide insights to side characters.

Sidequests is a lot more rewarding because Shrines (read: challenge rooms of sorts, of which there are over 100) provide direct upgrades to your heart containers or stamina meter if you do four of them. So there's a ton of them, and they all have really fun (and taxing) puzzles to solve, most of which do not involve combat. I love it.

How's the inventory system and weapon drops? I'm worried about the good equipment I've found breaking and getting stuck with lousy clubs or tree branches, or having to back-track and resupply somewhere.

I haven't had any real issues as drops are plentiful. Those "lousy" weapons (like errand axes, etc) are actually pretty effective. At no point have I backtracked and "grinded" out supplies or the like.

More at the link of course. I thought this was pretty cool.

Moose84

Its not breaking new ground, it's just the full package.

Servbot24

Banned
Then why does it have a fucking ten? A game with not meeting its target frame rate is not a perfect game. Is there a quote somewhere?
Frame rate is one of the least important things about a game. If you get hung up on every little thing that, then there's probably no game out there that's even a 9.

We played Zelda: Breath of the Wild for 30 hours - have any questions?

Hey Chris, So I'm not a big fan of openworld game design. Generally, it just feels like padding or "going through the motions," with towers, thousands of points of interest that rarely amount to anything meaningful, etc... What does Breath of the Wild do to mitigate the monotony of traditional openworld game design?

A lot of open world games feel checklisty. This is a big Ubisoft problem, but it also came up again for Horizon Zero Dawn, and was one of my biggest criticisms for that game.

But with Breath of the Wild, it doesn't feel like going through the motions. You can make your own stories by raiding a Bokoblin camp, finding out a new cooking recipe on your own, chopping down some trees, or meet some wacky Nintendo character while you're traveling from point A to point B. The map isn't loaded down with billions of icons to fetch, just the active quest you've chosen at the time.

Take radio towers. Breath of the Wild has them. But they aren't too numerous, and most of them have their own little mini-puzzles to solve, as well as an interesting character to meet at the top that has a unique sidequest. Looking over the massive spires into the open world is actually fun, and you can use a telescope (with its own icon/stamp creator) to scout out new locations. They went above and beyond the typical open world blueprint.

Man just reading that comparison with Ubisoft/Horizon feeling like a checklist and BotW doesn't...just amazing. So many many positives about this game!! 😭

The dungeons, I know we have the mini trials but I want to know if there are plenty of classic Zelda style larger dungeons as well. And if they are a decent challenge with the puzzles.

I will say though that the puzzles are challenging, yes! More so than ever before in my opinion. Breath of the Wild actually takes a lot of the focus off of fighting and puts more of it on puzzle solving.

Didn't even answer the question regarding dungeon count. Doesn't sound good.

I am a bit speechless to be honest because i had not expected this kind of praise from all those websites and Youtube channels. Of course we're likely to see some criticism in reviews next week but overall it sounds like the best Zelda game in years or maybe....ever.

I only read a few previews because i rather discover all that stuff myself but it sounds like they have nailed this open world and that was the one thing i was very skeptical about. Still a lot of open world games these days don't have a very interesting world to explore, maybe for a bit in some places but there are always empty spots that give no reason to explore really.

Nothing wrong with a bit of emptiness, it's like that in real life as well but these previews make it sound like it's very dense and always something to see and do. My Wii U is going to make crazy hours with this one, been a long ass time that i even used it at all. Speaking of Wii U, i really hope we get to see the final version next week too. It should be fine but i rather see it.

the dungeon count has already been spoiled by the official guide listing iirc

Has it? I thought just the number of Shrines was spoiled.

By the way, there is a new rumor that
every area in the game has one dungeon, making it a total of 15 dungeons, plus the story dungeons the 4 devine beats

I wouldn't believe that, though, but it would be amazing if true.

Peterc

It's to much to explain. But it's the first game that has a real weather system and where the enemies and link react to the world and isn't prefab like all other games. The world hasn't any boundaries like most other games have, also it isn't linear. If you like to go to the end boss, you can do that, it's your choice your world your way you play. Same with puzzles, you can solve it your own way. There are things you think is impossible to do within the game, but by trying it, it just works. I don't going to give you all examples on how the wind reacts on fire or fire lighting response on metal and so on. You can read previous pages for that. But the game is sure groundbreaking.

andymcc

Banned
Lots of edge's, and other publications, 10/10 games have performance issues. Nothing weird about that. that means the titles are greater than the sum of their individual parts/quirks

Peterc

Didn't even answer the question regarding dungeon count. Doesn't sound good.

There is already a leak and its many. Stop naming things that nobody has confirmed yet. Same with someone a few post back said you couldn't swim because nobody talked about it yet... It's way to early to tell. The game is huge and need time to finish it.

KingBroly

Banned

It's a game that works around core systems and fundamentals rather than specific instances.

Top Bottom