• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Wii U no longer launching In 2015, will not be at E3 this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litri

You are probably right. A huge AAA game wouldn't sell well on this console... sigh... I hope Zelda U also gets a NX port to sell well.

I do trust Aonuma to make the ultimate Zelda game, that's what I always wanted.

What if...they just won't show it AT E3 (showfloor) but a trailer on the livestream for us?

I have thought about that possibility...

You are probably right. A huge AAA game wouldn't sell well on this console... sigh... I hope Zelda U also gets a NX port to sell well.

What if...they just won't show it AT E3 (showfloor) but a trailer on the livestream for us?
I hope this is the case, I really don't want to wait forever to hear about this game again. Hopefully, not being at E3 just means not being playable at E3.

Gabe3208

Banned
This was literally my wife's response and my facial reaction as we watched Eiji Aonuma tell us Zelda Wii U was delayed, 😂😂😂

5AVouJj.jpg

Hisoka

Well i knew it. I knew i shouldn't get my hopes high for some new information, even if this thread gets bumped.

faaaaawwwck

Koozek

[RUMOR ALERT]
Here's a long German post from a known user on the Zelda Europe forum who claims to have been told some information by a friend who works at NOA. Says his/her source was right 80% of the time so far (told him about the gravity mechanic in MK8 long before the game was revealed, f.e.).
Nothing ground-breaking but, if true, offers a little bit of insight to the development process (budget cuts, delay, etc.).

http://www.zeldaeurope.de/forum/thread.php?postid=458795#post458795

Translated summary based on Ntower.de's article:
- They originally planned to show some footage at E3 but in the end decided against it because it was from an ~6 months old build and the game changed since.
- Intended release date was March 2016 then but they were afraid they couldn't make it in time and would have to apologize and delay again, so now it's planned for Late 2016 at the latest.
- There's a day and night cycle and a weather system.
- The overworld seems peaceful at first glance but there are unexpected, sudden dangers, in contrast to the dungeons where even in the dark there is light (?).
- Generally it's supposed to be some sort of Best Of Zelda with the best elements from older Zeldas (f.e. there's a Wind Waker-like sailing part).
- They are less concentrating on focusing the game on one single gimmick or gameplay-mechanic and instead want to make it an allrounder with tried and true mechanics.
- Answers open story questions from older Zeldas instead of creating new questions.
- The development process is a lot more creative and free than usual, however the game ate up a lot of budget already which led to several internal discussions at Nintendo. In 2014 there even was a budget cut, because the Wii U sold less than expected even after Mario Kart 8 and Sm4sh. The budget cuts where one of the reasons for the delay, as Aonuma decided to work longer with a smaller team though.
- Aonuma is supported a lot by Miyamoto who is very satisfied/impressed with the game and gets him more budget, manpower and time. They have some kind of friendly competition going on teasing and motivating each other. Aonuma wants to finally top OoT which he hasn't done yet in his own opinion, not even with TTP. Miyamoto drives them to surpass themselves. Both the Japanese and American employees are very impressed.

Volotaire

[RUMOR ALERT]
Here's a long German post from a known user on the Zelda Europe forum who claims to have been told some information by a friend who works at NOA. Says his/her source was right 80% of the time so far (told him about the gravity mechanic in MK8 long before the game was revealed, f.e.).
Nothing ground-breaking but, if true, offers a little bit of insight to the development process (budget cuts, delay, etc.).

- They originally planned to show some footage at E3 but in the end decided against it because it was from an ~6 months old build and the game changed since.
- Intended release date was March 2016 then but they were afraid they couldn't make it in time and would have to apologize and delay again, so now it's planned for Late 2016 at the latest.
- The overworld seems peaceful at first glance but there are unexpected, sudden dangers, in contrast to the dungeons where even in the dark there is light (?).
- Generally it's supposed to be some sort of Best Of Zelda with the best elements from older Zeldas (f.e. there's a Wind Waker-like sailing part).
- They are less concentrating on focusing the game on one single gimmick or gameplay-mechanic and instead want to make it an allrounder with tried and true mechanics.
- Answers open story questions from older Zeldas instead of creating new questions.
- The development process is a lot more creative and free than usual, however the game ate up a lot of budget already which led to several internal discussions at Nintendo. In 2014 there even was a budget cut, because the Wii U sold less than expected even after Mario Kart 8 and Sm4sh. The budget cuts where one of the reasons for the delay, as Aonuma decided to work longer with a smaller team though.
- Aonuma is supported a lot by Miyamoto who is very satisfied/impressed with the game and gets him more budget, manpower and time. They have some kind of friendly competition going on teasing and motivating each other. Aonuma wants to finally top OoT which he hasn't done yet in his own opinion, not even with TTP. Miyamoto drives them to surpass themselves. Both the Japanese and American employees are very impressed.

Could you provide some precise links to this user's past rumours which you claim to be mostly correct? As you would expect, I am highly skeptical.

[RUMOR ALERT]

I wouldn't take the rumor with anything more than a grain of salt! Some of the points outlined nonetheless make sense; the bit about being an "all-arounder" is promising. However, what is kind of troubling is the bit about answering old questions instead of making new ones. It suggests a lack of moving forward in the canon, even if the game's mechanics are branching out. New story, new questions, right? Besides, they aren't classifying it as open-world--Aonuma called is "vast."

I really hope it's not delayed later into 2016, regardless of the rumor.

Red Hood

Banned
[RUMOR ALERT]

011510_salt_lead_604x372-thumb-604x372.jpg

I think that the main issue is that its quite possible that Nintendo is doing exactly what it did with TP - delay it much longer than they actually needed, in order to have it cross gen.

Maybe ;) But I don't think so, they cpuld have easy release the game in 2015 for the Nintendo Wii U and release a Ultimate Edition later in 2016 for the Nintendo NX. Still I believe Nintendo, if they say that they need more time to make that game more awesome, than they do it ;) There is no reason why we should not believe Nintendo!

KoopaTheCasual

I wouldn't take the rumor with anything more than a grain of salt! Some of the points outlined nonetheless make sense; the bit about being an "all-arounder" is promising. However, what is kind of troubling is the bit about answering old questions instead of making new ones. It suggests a lack of moving forward in the canon, even if the game's mechanics are branching out. New story, new questions, right? Besides, they aren't classifying it as open-world--Aonuma called is "vast."

I really hope it's not delayed later into 2016, regardless of the rumor.
There's no way this game makes 2015. You should accept it now, and not drag it out.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ah yiss please be true.

I hope this isn't true though.

-Horizon-

I'd gladly welcome back day/night cycles. Missed opportunity in Skyward Sword having it only in skyloft and a couple of other sky islands.

Weather system would be cool. It randomly raining in windwaker and twilight princess always made for something cool to watch happen.

But since this is a rumor, I'm gonna assume none of these will happen just so that I won't be disappointed.

Massive grain of salt, obviously, but if budget on the game has become a concern, I would think even more that this is gonna be releasing on NX as well as a means of boosting that platforming and recovering development costs.

Koozek

Could you provide some precise links to this user's past rumours which you claim to be mostly correct? As you would expect, I am highly skeptical.

I have no clue, sorry. Never been on the ZE forums myself. Just wanted to post it for fun. He doesn't even claim everything is 100% certain himself, as NOA employees don't really know that much about the internal developments.

AdanVC

[RUMOR ALERT]

Taking this with a grain of salt but interesting stuff anyways! There's no mention of being ported to NX at all... Looks like it is going to be a Wii U exclusive after all???. Surprised about that. But kinda sad reading that it's taking a lot to develop due to Wii U's poor sales god damn it :(

bachikarn

So his/her friend works at NoA but is only right 80% of the time?

I can't take any rumor seriously if it doesn't mention cross release for Nx. That is one of the most believable reasons for why it got delayed.

watershed

Banned
[RUMOR ALERT]

Sounds like a trash rumor with crowd pleasing factoids and inside baseball that is meaningless and can never be proven or disproven.

I love the source of "My friend at NoA told me. He told me stuff that was right in the past as well. What, you've never seen any evidence of me knowing stuff in the past?"

Seriously, anyone can say they have a source that told them stuff and then try to justify it by saying they were told details on a game that's long since been out that they didn't share ages ago because... reasons

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Zelda U will sell well on the WiiU, windwaker HD sold well on the WiiU, why wouldnt zelda U?

This in particular makes no sense. What open story questions? It's not like most Zeldas take place in the same universe, so there's not an established canon to work with.

http://kotaku.com/5871215/the-official-zelda-timeline-now-with-added-detail

The added translations also reveal that the book's "supervising editor" was none other than Zelda boss Eiji Aonuma, so yes, this is as official as official gets.

Dang it E-phonk :p

Maybe, but they announced this Zelda as a Wii U game a couple years ago?

Maybe, but they announced twilight princess as a gamecube game a couple years before the wii.
and that doesn't even take into account that the wii u is selling far worse than the gamecube, they would be crazy to spend this much effort on one title and release it for the wii u.

on a side note i love my wii u and think in a few years time people will look back and realise how wrong they were, it got unfairly shit on even before release and still does to this day.

Wait people think this is coming out Q1 or q2? They didn't even show a single frame of footage at e3.

This is holiday 2016 if anything ever was... And most likely is a NX game with a wii u option coming out too a month later.

Lunar15

That reads more like an Iwata Asks than something you'd overhear from an NOA staffer.

Yeah, like one of those guys would just be like "Miyamoto are having a bit of a rivalry! It's hilarious!"

That said, anyone expecting anything EARLIER than late 2016 is out of their mind.

Koozek

Guys, don't shoot the messenger :D I only translated. Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt!
I don't know about the poster but reading the other posts he seems to be someone they trust and the mod talked with him about the infos, too, before he posted. The source is a good online friend of his/hers for 12 years.

I love the source of "My friend at NoA told me. He told me stuff that was right in the past as well. What, you've never seen any evidence of me knowing stuff in the past?"

Seriously, anyone can say they have a source that told them stuff and then try to justify it by saying they were told details on a game that's long since been out that they didn't share ages ago because... reasons
Have you checked his post history, though? I haven't, so who knows if he shared this info years ago on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom