• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Wii U no longer launching In 2015, will not be at E3 this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Aonuma said they won't show Zelda at E3, so there will be no trailer :/

E3 is the showfloor. At the very least, it means it won't be playable. A conference like Sony or Microsoft is pre-E3, so technically not E3. A Direct or Digital Event is also pre-E3, and not anywhere near E3 in terms of location. So a trailer technically hasn't been ruled out.

takriel

E3 is the showfloor. At the very least, it means it won't be playable. A conference like Sony or Microsoft is pre-E3, so technically not E3. A Direct or Digital Event is also pre-E3, and not anywhere near E3 in terms of location. So a trailer technically hasn't been ruled out.

I wouldn't get my hopes up...

Don't get my hopes up :eek:

But if so, why whould Nintendo say it won't be shown at E3 rather than it isn't playable at E3? And why would they tell that now to us, I mean who cares if it isn't playable at E3, right, only E3 guests and journalists, not the general Nintendo fan on the internet they are targeting for with their Social Media Accounts.

I would love to be wrong though

haimon

From me too ;) And I really don't understand all the hate against Nintendo. If a game get released broken like AC: Unity or Battlefield 4 then everyone is complaining, and when a game gets delayed in order to make it better or bigger than also everyone is complaining. Nintendo proved now enough with their high quality games that they exactly know what they are doing and gamers should appreciate that that they are not rushing and releasing unfinished games with 1000 day one 10 gb patches and stuff like that! Nintendo cares about making good games, and that's today a rare and in my opinion very good thing :)

I think that the main issue is that its quite possible that Nintendo is doing exactly what it did with TP - delay it much longer than they actually needed, in order to have it cross gen.

Crazy Nintendo fans.

Don't worry guys, big holiday title will be Diddy Kong Racing U.

I think that the main issue is that its quite possible that Nintendo is doing exactly what it did with TP - delay it much longer than they actually needed, in order to have it cross gen.

No, I guess they really need the time to make the game perfect. If its cross gen it's not really dramatic.

The bad thing is that it won't show up at E3.

Mistle

I'm betting "not at E3" includes no trailer. I'd guess the delay means they're seriously retooling the game, thus making putting together a trailer representing the game they're going to make would be impossible. Unless it's just a small teaser or something, but we've already got that.

watershed

Banned
Why set yourself up like this?

Vanpira

I think you guys are misunderstanding things. I keep reading on here that Nintendo will release a new home console next year, but that doesn't jive with what has been said. Nintendo has been working on a new platform but it's not hardware(they are making that as well), but software. Up to this point Nintendo has always made games for the hardware or more specific the chips. Any game that was made for one set of chips wouldn't work on another. However with the new platform they would be making games for the OS. Any game made for one would work on the other(s), as long as it is powerful enough to run it.

What has this to to with Nintendo releasing a new home console? Well they already have the home console that runs the OS on the market; the Wii U. It's the handheld console that's missing. The 3DS nor the New 3DS run on it. So for this setup to work they need a handheld console that runs on the new OS.

This actually makes the Zelda delay make more sense. When NX is released there will be a flood of new games made for it. These games will run not only on the NX, but also on the Wii U. I don't know if Zelda would run on NX as I don't know how powerful it will be. I also don't know if Zelda is coded for the OS or the Wii U itself. A game running on the OS would most likely not be able to take advantage of the hardware as one coded for it. However, it would meen that Nintendo could relaunch the Wii U from a Marketing standpoint. Zelda would be a launch title to that relaunch.

PtM

Banned
this is a poor counter argument. is there anything you can find to substantiate your claim that extra development time specifically went to making the first few hours of the game more thorough?
Miyamoto ordered the tutorial to be prolonged to three days. I blame grandpa's Wii.

I think you guys are misunderstanding things. I keep reading on here that Nintendo will release a new home console next year, but that doesn't jive with what has been said. Nintendo has been working on a new platform but it's not hardware(they are making that as well), but software. Up to this point Nintendo has always made games for the hardware or more specific the chips. Any game that was made for one set of chips wouldn't work on another. However with the new platform they would be making games for the OS. Any game made for one would work on the other(s), as long as it is powerful enough to run it.

What has this to to with Nintendo releasing a new home console? Well they already have the home console that runs the OS on the market; the Wii U. It's the handheld console that's missing. The 3DS nor the New 3DS run on it. So for this setup to work they need a handheld console that runs on the new OS.

This actually makes the Zelda delay make more sense. When NX is released there will be a flood of new games made for it. These games will run not only on the NX, but also on the Wii U. I don't know if Zelda would run on NX as I don't know how powerful it will be. I also don't know if Zelda is coded for the OS or the Wii U itself. A game running on the OS would most likely not be able to take advantage of the hardware as one coded for it. However, it would meen that Nintendo could relaunch the Wii U from a Marketing standpoint. Zelda would be a launch title to that relaunch.
With the NX OS handheld will also come a new NX home console, even if it only runs WiiU-level software. Anything else would be another marketing disaster. WiiU isn't selling hardware to anyone and most of its userbase has already given up on the thing, leading to bombas of once big-sellers all around. Taking away the last big IP from this machine for the holidays basically equals pulling the plug. It's already dead, after the holidays it's gonne be dust. You won't be able to promote your new universal OS for running on a dead console, which also has a (rightfully) toxic stigma among the people that know what an WiiU actually is. WiiU will still keep an inferior version of Zelda U, but there's really nothing more to expect. Not to mention, they need both new handheld- and console for proper implementation of the DeNA system and the crucial removal of the redundant gamepad (which will ultimately culminate in a low budget Starfox focusing on waggle this year, likely receiving backlash on par with Other M, lol).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
WiiU is going nowhere. With the NX OS handheld will also come a new NX home console, even if it only runs WiiU-level software. Anything else would be another marketing disaster. WiiU isn't selling hardware to anyone and most of its userbase has already given up on the thing, leading to bombas of once big-sellers all around. Taking away the last big IP from this machine for the holidays basically equals pulling the plug. It's already dead, after the holidays it's gonne be dust. You won't be able to promote your new universal OS for running on a dead console, which also has a (rightfully) toxic stigma among the people that know what an WiiU actually is. WiiU will still keep an inferior version of Zelda U, but there's really nothing more to expect. Not to mention, they need both new handheld- and console for proper implementation of the DeNA system and the crucial removal of the redundant gamepad (which will ultimately culminate in a low budget Starfox focusing on waggle this year, likely receiving backlash on par with Other M, lol).

This actually seems like wishful thinking which is honestly quite sad, the chance of that happening are near, null, we've already had bad starfox games, another one won't suddenly get the fans in uproar, and the reason why the Other M got the shit it did was because of Samus' portrayal and the story. Unless you honestly believe fans are going to be supremely pissed off at Starfox Wii U's story...

What you said just makes no sense at all.

RPGCrazied

Didn't they confirm not to long ago it was going to be at E3? I think at the Video Game Awards. So, something major had to happen from showing it in a couple months at E3 to almost a year later or more? I'm really confused. I thought they have been working on this game for like 3 - 4 years now. Something had to have majorly changed.

Xun

It's a shame to think the Wii U could potentially be the first main Nintendo console to not have an exclusive Zelda game release on it.

The Wii U is a fantastic system, but I just feel a bit cheated out on that. :/

This actually seems like wishful thinking which is honestly quite sad

Just keeping expectations in check. Expecting the worst has mostly been the realistic choice for the entirety of the WiiU's life. Now continuing with Zelda likely getting TP'ed.

Scratch OM then, it simply won't be up on par with what people are imagining Starfox to be, despite it (and Mario Maker) probably taking over Zelda's ,,big'' spot this year.

Banned
Quoted for E3 when no trailer is shown.

georly

Quoted for E3 when no trailer is shown.

Trailer is possible (could be there, could not be), but showfloor is impossible. I think that's all anyone is saying.

The trailer situation depends on what and how much they're changing. If they're changing a substantial amount, they may not be ready to show anything at all by E3. If they already have stuff they plan on keeping that they can put into a trailer, it's entirely possibly we get a 60 second teaser for Zelda Wii U.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo shows a trailer at E3, but I also am not expecting them to.

I'm hoping they retool this game for whatever new system they're working on, I don't want a subpar experience for the final game. I'm honestly happy they delayed it, it's going to be better because of it and likely on a more attractive console.

Wonder what some of these ideas are:

- perhaps a focus on NPCs (calendar schedules, independent story lines, etc)

- a focus on world building (aka your actions affect the progress of a town; similar to Terranigma. Like you could bring Goron technology to other towns and build out other functions)

- enhancing the travel experience (using Epona as your travel pack, building temporary camps, leaving breadcrumb trails to follow later, end-game flying bird, etc)

- more side dungeons and challenges

- maybe even adding more characters:
1) you start the game as Link on one side of the map (basic tutorial and world building segment). Basically Link is oblivious to the world around him, but something compels him to go to Hyrule Castle (perhaps fighting that weird creature from the first trailer.) Once he gets near the castle the screen fades to black.

2) you then start as Zelda in Hyrule Castle a few days prior (this is where the plot begins to manifest itself). Your crowning ceremony is set to occur. Maybe there's some interaction with Castle Town (a mayor type mode). After a couple days the castle is under-siege by some evil force, and Zelda looks out her watchtower she sees Ganondorf leading the army and Link approaching from the other side (marking a triangle geographically) and the screen fades to black.

3) the game starts a few years prior as a much younger Ganondorf. You see the oppression of the Sheikah by the Hylians (or something that explains the evil within him). It walks you through obtaining the tri-force of power and then seiging the castle. You see Zelda and Link in the distance. Screen fades to black.

4) cut scene showing each person is locked away from each other. Perhaps from a separate entity. You can only travel with that char in a specific third of the map; until later game when it all opens up (you could revisit dungeons as different chars to get different results). Campsites are how you switch.

Just some thoughts

georly

Wonder what some of these ideas are:

- perhaps a focus on NPCs (calendar schedules, independent story lines, etc)

Just some thoughts

That's what I want more than anything. Multi-day cycles (not just day/night) with NPC schedules. Even if it's as simple as Day 1 go to place A, Day 2, go to place B, Day 3 go to place C, restart cycle. Nothing that requires time rewinding, just a schedule you can observe.

Maybe you know villager normally goes to place B on 2nd day, but now place B has bad guys, so you know villager will be in trouble, so you can go save villager if you want. If not, then they just get stuck at place B and can't go back to their schedule without your help (which can affect shops/prices/quest availability, etc).

ReyVGM

That's what I want more than anything. Multi-day cycles (not just day/night) with NPC schedules. Even if it's as simple as Day 1 go to place A, Day 2, go to place B, Day 3 go to place C, restart cycle. Nothing that requires time rewinding, just a schedule you can observe.

Maybe you know villager normally goes to place B on 2nd day, but now place B has bad guys, so you know villager will be in trouble, so you can go save villager if you want. If not, then they just get stuck at place B and can't go back to their schedule without your help (which can affect shops/prices/quest availability, etc).

You can be certain this will happen.

The clock on the map is evidence of hour-based quests. Unless the game ends up being retooled into something completely different.

But Miyamoto already confirmed that there are so many sidequests that you could forget about the main story, and that your actions could change the environment.

Toparaman

Banned
Crazy Nintendo fans.

Don't worry guys, big holiday title will be Diddy Kong Racing U.

...I'm okay with this?

What WiiU needs is irrelevant.

Exactly. The Wii U needs Zelda this year, but Nintendo doesn't give a fuck at this point. And that might be a good thing.

Meh... TP and SS had one additional year each, and that didn't make them super great. MM was great for having such a short development period.

MM was like 80% reused assets. TP and SS weren't super great, but they might've been worse without the extra dev time.

random25

Meh... TP and SS had one additional year each, and that didn't make them super great. MM was great for having such a short development period.

MM just reused most of the assets and gameplay elements of OoT. Obviously, that will significantly reduce development time for the game. If it were to be made everything from scratch, you'll probably see another year or two before it reaches the market. So MM being the way it was does not correlate with its short development time.

NathanS

The fact that they are not showing anything at E3 to me means that the graphical or art style could be changing...For what reason I don't know...It's my favorite style Zelda has ever had....But they clearly know that whatever they could hypothetically show, won't be representative at all of the final game at this point...otherwise we would totally get something.....This game is going through big changes....not just "adding content"

I mean, them not releasing a trailer is mystery to me. Something appened. If they are retooling thegame, i wonder if the sales of MM 3ds had a play into it. It just seems to weird to not show a trailer making me think this game is still in early stages of development.

Well if so, we can be lucky. I would love it if the game takes some inspiration from Majoras Mask

RagnarokX

MM just reused most of the assets and gameplay elements of OoT. Obviously, that will significantly reduce development time for the game. If it were to be made everything from scratch, you'll probably see another year or two before it reaches the market. So MM being the way it was does not correlate with its short development time.

Right. Majora's Mask was also made up of ideas they intended for OoT but couldn't get working in OoT's long development time, so when discussing MM it's more accurate to combine it with OoT. It did not just take a year to make MM; it took two years on top of the four + it took to make OoT. That's how long it took them to get the ideas to work.

The fact that they are not showing anything at E3 to me means that the graphical or art style could be changing...For what reason I don't know...It's my favorite style Zelda has ever had....But they clearly know that whatever they could hypothetically show, won't be representative at all of the final game at this point...otherwise we would totally get something.....This game is going through big changes....not just "adding content"

That isn't necessarily the case. It could simply be that even though they delayed the game they gave themselves an extremely stringent deadline to incorporate all of the new ideas and they do not have the time to waste creating a demo and flying Aonuma out to LA for a few days.

balgajo

Technically Nintendo Digital event isn't part of E3. So I wouldn't dismiss a new trailer. But an e3 demo is unlikely.

Blues1990

You would like this? ANOTHER racer is not exactly what the Wii U needs now

You can give the Wii U just about every desirable game you can think of, but it would still do jack squat, as people who are not hardcore Nintendo fans are not interested in buying the console.

As for the delay, as long as it turns out to be a good game, that's all I'm concerned about.

Ahnez

They were so confident about a 2015 release date that I imagine it might not have been delayed to as far as holiday 2016

So, as this is not going to be at E3, I think the trailer will be in a random Direct after June

I really think people are getting a little too paranoid with this delay. In my opinion i just want the game to be as good as it can get, if this means to wait a little more, there's no problem to me. This year already has some really cool games coming out for the wii u and i honestly think that at e3 we will see a game that's coming out by this year's end (maybe a new animal crossing, next level's wii u game).

I don't think that we will see retro studios game this year, they have taken 3 years to make their past 3 games (prime 3, returns and tf). Since they finished tf in november 2013 it would only amount to 2 years since they finished it. I don't know if these 3 years were because they changed hardware. or they changed from metroid to donkey kong, but i don't think that they would make a game in 2 years time (i would love to be wrong though).

Well, i'm very excited to see more of splatoon, yoshi, mario maker, and starfox for this year. It is disappointing to see the game getting delayed, but this is usual for zeldas. I don't understand some people talking about wii u's death or anything like that because of this delay. Even if nintendo released a cure for all diseases in digital format people would still not buy a wii u. So why rush a game rather than take their time and make it the best game it can possibly be? I am sure that if the game is great they will rerelease for future consoles and everything.

You can give the Wii U just about every desirable game you can think of, but it would still do jack squat, as people who are not hardcore Nintendo fans are not interested in buying the console.

As for the delay, as long as it turns out to be a good game, that's all I'm concerned about.

You are probably right. A huge AAA game wouldn't sell well on this console... sigh... I hope Zelda U also gets a NX port to sell well.

I do trust Aonuma to make the ultimate Zelda game, that's what I always wanted.

What if...they just won't show it AT E3 (showfloor) but a trailer on the livestream for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom