• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Long Dark [Kickstarter; Ex-Relic, Bioware, Riot, Volition devs]

syko de4d

If they have already a build to create screenshots why didnt they have waited some months to present a kickstarter with actual gameplay?

I think the best would be that they fail and start again in q1 2014 with gameplay videos and get way more than 200k.

They just updated the kickstarter page with the first screenshots of the game.

31adcb2e17504bf7457da1100dd4dd18_large.jpg

45bd9c003333e5d2c013440190a6164e_large.jpg

09898df58f68e2d467c787fdb16ef923_large.jpg

Game looks really sharp. I didn't think the style from the concept art would translate this well.
Whoa

I'm in.

Bears mentioning that...
...you are backing a FULL GAME with The Long Dark. We hope to continue expanding on this game with sequels. The episodic nature of the game's narrative refers to story structure, and not necessarily to the amount of content you're getting in the game, which we estimate to be 5-6 hours for single-player "story mode" and dozens of hours for sandbox "survival mode".

Gruso

I've just had a proper look at this for the first time. I think I've subconsciously wanted a game like this since I watched Jeremiah Johnson as a kid.

(obligatory
oX7hr6f.gif
)

UrbanRats

I'm kind of skeptical.
It's like i've heard the premise one too many times.

I want to see how in depth the gameplay is.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seems like the kind of look that looks awesome in screens, but will get very boring after you keep seeing various monochrome mixtures for hours on end :\

09898df58f68e2d467c787fdb16ef923_large.jpg

Imagine getting closer to those rocks, and no further detail is revealed, just the large separation between two colours growing bigger on the screen.

calder

They are currently at 4,168 backers for a total of $140,871 pledged ($200,000 goal) with 7 days to go. I don't know much about the economy of KS but I hope they make it. I'm debating upping my contribution to $40, even though I'm not usually terribly interested in beta access to games.

ezekial45

Banned
44 hours left, and it definitely picked up steam. After the announcement of David Hayter providing voice over, it seems to have given the campaign a big shot in the arm.

It's at 226K so far, and it cleared the first stretch goal.

nfbackstory

Neo Member
The creative director did an interview over here namedropping some of my favorite games. Yes, please do borrow from Fallout 3, STALKER, and Red Dead Redemption! I fucking love the art style and the idea that they're doing what Rockstar does and making a fake place based on real locations.

Glad to see it got funded, and with time to spare. I'm sure they'll make the soundtrack stretch goal, so it'll be interesting to see what comes after that. I hope they make it.

hemtae

So really long bump but there was a self described "Big Update!!"

Hinterland said:
With Spring finally here, we’re feeling like coming out from our heavy work and catching our breath. We’re feeling like we want to get out there, and feel the sun on our faces, as it were. To that end, we want to share with you, the first exclusive in-game screenshot from The Long Dark. This is the first in-game content we have shown since we finished our Kickstarter last October. We hope you like what you see!

FYfFGKq.jpg

Screenshot or concept art? Looks cozy either way.

And there’s plenty more where that came from! Today, we are kicking off the next wave of reveals for the game, and we plan to release more in-game shots this month, as well as a series of gameplay videos in early May, leading up to releasing the first Alpha builds of the Survival Sandbox which we'll be talking about more in the coming weeks!

(Oh hell...you've all waited a while for this. We love you, so you deserve two screenshots!)

VDq4E9d.jpg

Enjoy the sunset 'cause it's about to get really damn cold. You'll make for that Forestry Lookout tower if you know what's good for ya!
Exciting times!

fallout

Amy impressions? The gaming press seem to be into it, any Gaffers took the plunge and bought Early Access?
I backed it and it's pretty much what I was looking for in a winter-set singleplayer survival game.

It can be pretty brutal and you have to constantly balance your fatigue, cold, hunger and thirst levels. I almost feel like the pressure is a little too high, but without the constant threat, I think the game would lose some of its grasp on me.

It's interesting playing a game with so much focus on exploration where you really have to make some tough choices. I could climb that hill and see what's on the other side, but my body temperature is dropping fast and it's probably safer to just keep working through this valley in hopes of finding some shelter.

Also, wolves are jerks.

hemtae

Amy impressions? The gaming press seem to be into it, any Gaffers took the plunge and bought Early Access?

I only played an hour of it so for but I like it well enough. It could be more simulated though. I'd really like a jump button unless I'm missing something. You are almost constantly either freezing or hungry or being mauled by a wolf which I love.

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. You know the game's atmosphere and tension are rock solid when you get legitimately excited over a small pile of scrap wood.

Also, my first few plays:

1: Killed by wolf.

2: Killed by wolf.

3: Killed wolf, cooked wolf, ate wolf, got food poisoning, died.

4: I've made it five days, I have warm clothes, tools, a spare MRE and a loaded fucking rifle. I am all that is man.

driver116

Wait it's post-apocalyptic Canada. I was looking forward to the game before but that's just the setting I've been waiting for quite some time now. Can't wait to do all the winter survival things.

There was a real sense of atmosphere with the coldness and wintery environment. Then finding a bed in an abandoned cabin.

bjork

I got this and started messing with it. I think it's interesting but I'm still getting my bearings. One time I slept to death, just to see if it could happen, and it does. I'm having trouble finding things to drink that aren't soda, but I've also only played for maybe an hour across a couple of runs (one crashed, I assume that's part of it being early access), so I figure I'll get that sorted out soon enough.

But it's fun so far, I'm enjoying exploring and trying to craft things and see what's what. I am curious to see if the objects respawn later, or if you get them once, that's it. I can't see how you'd survive the 50 days for the final achievement if they don't?

hemtae

I got this and started messing with it. I think it's interesting but I'm still getting my bearings. One time I slept to death, just to see if it could happen, and it does. I'm having trouble finding things to drink that aren't soda, but I've also only played for maybe an hour across a couple of runs (one crashed, I assume that's part of it being early access), so I figure I'll get that sorted out soon enough.

But it's fun so far, I'm enjoying exploring and trying to craft things and see what's what. I am curious to see if the objects respawn later, or if you get them once, that's it. I can't see how you'd survive the 50 days for the final achievement if they don't?

Well once you can reliably hunt (which I'm not sure you can) you'll be set since I think there's enough deer and wolves to last you. Water can be gotten by melting snow which you can do with a stove. Beds are pretty easy to find and you can forage for wood.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Time in this game really makes you feel like you're doing more than you actually have been.

"feels like forever"

*only been 2 days*

This is a lot more oppressive at the start then it lets on. My only path down this hillside is being guarded by a wolf. Now I have to chance a sprained ankle and hope it doesn't give chase... -_-

Skinpop

they need to change the looting/search system, it's so tedious and annoying to wait for that search bar. Every time I encounter a chest of drawers I just get depressed instead of excited because it's such a chore to go through them all.

Ok so I finally bought this game (during the steam sale around black friday) and wow! it's really engaging.

so first of all, if I had not spent so much time playing Rust, I would have probably quit this game the first time I died. why?

basically. once you play alot of Rust, you learn how to cope and accept being able to start all over from scratch after losing EVERYTHING. with so many server wipes/ getting raided/ hackers hacking, has trained me to be cool with getting alot and then losing it all forever.

now, the long dark, I purchased during steam sale out of curiosity because it just looked cool.

my play basically was...

1. died to a wolf

2. died to a wolf

3. fell thru ice and died

4. died in a bed sleeping because apparently I was freezing and I never addressed it

5. died to a wolf

6. died to a wolf

7. died to food poisoning

8. im at 51+ days and counting. I think I will last another 10-15 days before I kick the bucket due to lack of supplies. I looted everything on the map and now Im just going thru my stock. all my bullets are used.

theres alot of little tricks you can do to lengthen your survival rate that you never think about when playing this game until you get more experienced...which makes it cool as up to the point where I am at now, everytime I played I was learning something new that I would incorporate into my being more efficient with survival.

for example, not cooking meat till you're gonna eat it or before it goes bad that way you can preserve it longer, or storing clothes while inside so that the clothes degrade slower...

I can also see while this game is very playable in alpha, there is opportunity for so much more which makes the final product seem that much more promising.

with that said there is some glaring things that are missing like the fact that we have pelt that we can do nothing with so eventually you cant repair cloth items anymore due to running out but you can get a shit ton of leather yet the only thing you can repair with leather is boots, which need cloth as well. Im assuming in the future we will be able to turn the pelt into cloth somehow?
I guess that's the biggest problem, the lack of craftable items. but yea... alpha.

It would also be cool if you could have multiple characters. right now, if you save with a character, thats the only save. I get that part, but if we can only have one save per game, let us have multiple characters. that way, if I dont feel like playing the character who is on day 51 who has to sit in his shelter for most of the time eating drinking and sleeping to extend time, I can play a diff character and explore/die more. I would have been playing this game more but When your on day 51+ its hella boring. but again, i know, alpha.

nocode

I'm really loving the idea behind this game as well.

Went exploring out on the lake, stopped in an ice-fishing shack for a bit to drink water and eat, went back outside to find a blinding snowstorm. I thought I could remember the way back to the cabin, but I got lost and BARELY made it back alive. The next day I looked to see how I could have gotten lost on such a short walk. There was a cove that I missed the day before during clear conditions, and I was wandering around that corner of the lake almost to my death. Awesome how little walks can turn life or death in an instant (just like in real life winter survival situations).

Any idea when this is getting a full release? The developers said "later in 2014" soooooo I'm guessing they're gonna miss that?

calder

I caved and bought the early access on Steam because it was on sale despite having kickstarted it (but not at the early access level). Ah well, still cheap and I wanted to finally play it.

So far, fucking love it.

Applebite

So.. Is this worth playing at this point in time or should I wait? I haven't bought an early access game / alpha state game since the old, old version of Mincraft, so I'm trying to tread carefully here.

legacyzero

Banned
So.. Is this worth playing at this point in time or should I wait? I haven't bought an early access game / alpha state game since the old, old version of Mincraft, so I'm trying to tread carefully here.

Right now, the game is enjoyable for a few hours, until it hits you that the only thing that you do in the game is move from house to house, toughing the cold, collecting items and....... and.... Well that's it.

This is some kind of story mode coming, but for now, that game has a complete lack of depth. It can be something really special, but IMO, it's missing a really BIG core mechanic that is crucial to the game, and I worry that even the dev doesn't know what that is yet.

Top Bottom