• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Long Dark [Kickstarter; Ex-Relic, Bioware, Riot, Volition devs]

Applebite

Right now, the game is enjoyable for a few hours, until it hits you that the only thing that you do in the game is move from house to house, toughing the cold, collecting items and....... and.... Well that's it.

This is some kind of story mode coming, but for now, that game has a complete lack of depth. It can be something really special, but IMO, it's missing a really BIG core mechanic that is crucial to the game, and I worry that even the dev doesn't know what that is yet.
Yeah alright, I'll wait till it's further in development or finished. 10 euros ain't much but relative to other offers on steam, it's not worth it imo.

calder

The new patch came out yesterday, added a lot of new stuff. I haven't found the new area yet, wolves have been just kicking my ass last couple of games, I haven't even been able to get set up enough to try the new craftable torches. :(

MAJOR ADDITIONS

* New Region! Pleasant Valley. Nearly 10 square kilometres of rural mountain valley.
* New Mystery Wildlife! Keep your eyes open.
* Harvestable Plants. Collect Old Man's Beard Lichen, Rose Hips, and Reishi Mushrooms and craft natural remedies.
* Torch Brandishing. Craft Torches and Brandish them against Wolves. You might scare them off!
* Visual Inventory. Completely redone Inventory screen with improved navigation and embedded Repair and Harvesting actions.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

* General improvements to wildlife AI, to support better player decision-making about Fight or Flight response and clarify wildlife presence and intent.
* Predators are now attracted to the smell of Blood (bleeding wounds, raw meat, etc.) and will come investigate if within range.
* Scent is now affected by Wind speed and direction.
* All Beds now have a Warmth value displayed in the Rest interface.
* Bedrolls now lose Condition and must be maintained. It's possible to find multiple Bedrolls in the world.
* All fires now visualize their state (ignition, full burn, cooling off, coals) through flame, sparks, and smoke. Smoke also respects wind direction.
* Various new sounds, and many previous sounds have been replaced based on a new foley recording session.
* Many UI improvements throughout.
* Updated Silent Hunter and Pacifist achievements to clarify they need to happen in the first days of a game (not after many days have already passed).
* German and Russian translations have been fully updated.

BUGS FIXED

* Fixed Exploration achievement
* Achievements are not sent to Steam if player is dead.
* Fixed key binding issue with AltFire.
* Fixed discrepancy between time survived and time of day.
* Fixed scroll wheel issue on right side of container screen.
* Fixed issue when dying during a load scene fade
* Fixed issue with failing to Transfer All showing incorrect info on screen afterwards.
* Fixed issue with fishing huts sometimes not blocking wind
* Fixed issue with phone wires dropping at game start (physics)
* Fixed inaccessible Prepper Hatch bug
* Fixed issue where First Aid items were disabled if used, then use was cancelled, then the item was dropped
* Fixed issue where Log could show incorrect days in a new session after dying.
* Fixed errors in Calorie Burn amounts being displayed for Resting, Foraging, Ice Fishing and Harvesting
* Increased navmesh accuracy to address a variety of pathfinding issues
* Fixed issue with dropped items sometimes being inaccessible
* Fixed issue with campfire disappearing if cancelling out of creating a fire in a stove.
* Display correct Calorie Burn on the UI for activities when in Pilgrim and Stalker modes

The inventory/UI changes are minor but definitely improvements. I already love this game to death, but it's very exciting to see the sandbox elements coming together.

nocode

Oh wow, awesome! Some of those improvements look great. I'm really tempted to dive in, but I don't want to ruin the game for myself before it's finished. Any word on a final release date?

im on day 97 right now....sometimes it feels like the game cheats when they catch you far away from a home and they try to do a Non stop blizzard and shit...
I almost died once because of it...made it to a house with 5% health

Right now...they need to give you something to do when your stocked and well off.....like when you got food and supplies there are moments of lull where you just have nothing to do but sleep eat and drink...that part makes the game boring as fuck...

So.. Is this worth playing at this point in time or should I wait? I haven't bought an early access game / alpha state game since the old, old version of Mincraft, so I'm trying to tread carefully here.

it's worth it imo. I've spent tons of hours on this so far....once you get to where im at tho, it does get boring...

but getting to where im at was really enjoyable and was more than the few hours...and the exploration is fun....especially with random bunkers on 2 of the maps

A few days ago during the AMA it had no specific date except for 2015.
I suppose with other high profile Kickstarter delays they will be hesitant to be more specific to avoid disappointment. But for me I feel like I have to wait then. I don't want to mine most of the enjoyment at this early stage.

nocode

I suppose with other high profile Kickstarter delays they will be hesitant to be more specific to avoid disappointment. But for me I feel like I have to wait then. I don't want to mine most of the enjoyment at this early stage.

I feel like I should wait as well, and I already bought the damn thing haha. They were saying December/January 2014/15 last I remember, so hopefully it will be ready soon.

I'm on day 121 now....I killed my first bear...HOLY SHIT this thing gives alot of food....37kg of meat. its just shocking cause I saw a video of a guy killing a bear and it only had 10.1kg or something.

it was a bitch getting all that shit back to my stash house. i had to make like 4 separate trips.

im on day 147. I'm hoping they implement some endgame/late game stuff like being able to build something/project or being able to find a deck of cards and playing solitaire or finding a jenga set and being able to play jenga or something, because when you're well stocked on day 147...all you can do is eat sleep and drink.

i was trying to at least get to day 150 but I think I am going to push towards day 200+

hemtae

Has Hinterland Games revealed any info about the 'story' mode?

In the new update about physical rewards today, they said this

Thank You, Backers

Once again, we wanted to thank you for being part of our community and for your continued support of The Long Dark. We will have another update very soon that is more focussed on actual game content and our plans for the Episodic Story Mode, so stay tuned for that info to come soon!

fallout

I suspect that they've had some good success with Early Access sales and as a result are now able to spend more time (i.e., money) on the episodic story content.

calder

Can't wait. Easily my favourite early access game, very excited to see the story mode.

EDIT: wait I just realized I never got my KS key, I actually bought it on Steam when it became available as well as backing it. I should probably sort that out.

calder

No word of a lie, I saw calder playing this on the nicest Saturday afternoon we've had in Winnipeg since like last September. It's that good.

I'd like to point out that fallout wasn't exactly on a glorious nature hike either if he was on his PC too or, at best, checking Steam on his phone.

It's crazy how this game makes me feel slightly nostalgic for winter. Even a murderous, empty post apocalyptic kind of winter.

Made it to Pleasant Valley.

I made the trek on a whim after getting lost trying to find the abandoned lookout in a blizzard. Got hit with exhaustion in the mine, and realized I'd left my bedroll at the Quonset Gas Station. Stumbled for like 25 minutes in the pitch black and came across a little village.

Now that I'm in PV, I think I'll hang up the deer-skin boots for a while. Need to keep things fresh.

Any word on a final release? We're coming up on a year past the original release date.

Wow! It's been a year? Shit. I wonder how that story content is coming.

I played the sandbox quite a bit, like ten or fifteen hours, and then it became pretty dull. Movement is so slow, it's tough to justify starting over again just to find food and stuff. True to survivsl genre, though.

nocode

In the last update they say that if you have the early access version you are getting season 1 of the story when it's released. Did I miss an update or was this season stuff known already?

Wait, so when is it being released? I haven't seen anything about a release date since it didn't make the December 2014 one. I already have the game, but I want to wait for it to be finished before I really dig in.

It was pretty awesome to see that they patched in xbox controller support last time I fired it up though!

calder

I have 20 hours played of this on Xbox One. It is great.

I'm at 40 something hours on PC. Just freaking love this game.

I hadn't actually played in a couple of months, but last night I noticed the latest patch and got sucked back in. Just moved in to the lighthouse, seems cozy as hell but sadly it's not as 100% perfect a homebase as the farm is.

Love how the wolves are always harassing me but seem less deadly and cheap. I played for a few hours last night, and despite being done about a week I still haven't found a bloody knife or even a can opener yet, and I looted a least a half dozen homes on my way to the new area.

I'm going to hold off on the new area until the story mode comes out.

In my last save I reached the farm, and felt like Tom Hanks when he's conquered the island and is facing a life of hunting and gathering. But with no Wilson to listen to my rambling thoughts.

Walpurgis

Banned
I just found this game on Steam and it looks awesome. I'm surprised at the lack of popularity. I noticed that this was on Xbone, is there any news on a PS4 version? I'm debating waiting for that or getting it during a Steam sale.
In the last update they say that if you have the early access version you are getting season 1 of the story when it's released. Did I miss an update or was this season stuff known already?
So, if I buy it now, I don't get the full game...? I thought that was how early access worked. :/

Purkake4

Banned
I just found this game on Steam and it looks awesome. I'm surprised at the lack of popularity. I noticed that this was on Xbone, is there any news on a PS4 version? I'm debating waiting for that or getting it during a Steam sale.
Umm, I wouldn't say 387,777±15,589 owners (on Steam) reflects a lack of popularity, especially for an Early Access game. There just isn't much to talk about at the moment.

I felt this earned a bump: The Long Dark has 500,000 owners on Steam. That's pretty impressive!

Any info on the total # of regions for 'Season 1'? Right now we have:

- Mystery Lake
- Coastal Highway
- Pleasant Valley
- Desolation Point

edit: Oh, I didn't realise they added a 5th region: Timberwolf Mountain. For some reason it doesn't appear on my list of starting regions - though Desolation Point does...

dtcm83

Bought this game during the steam sale the other day, no regrets so far. Only played Mystery Lake map. Easy mode (pilgrim) was almost too easy, made it 8 days in before stopping that playthrough, normal mode (voyager) I have yet to make it past day 2. Might need to try one of the intermediate or hard maps on easy setting to find a happy medium.

Game is fun if you are into resource management and exploration. The art style is cool and the soundtrack and background sound effects really add to the experience. Combat is a bit weak though, and seems like you should be able to survive much longer without food than the game allows (assuming it is trying to be realistic). Runs fine at 1080p on high settings on 3570k+970.

garath

I was just looking at this game. It's so positively reviewed on steam. Watched a lets play and it looks neat. I really want the story mode though. Any idea when it actually hits?

fallout

Spring 2016. This is from a recent email:

In 2014, many of you were among the first to see the game’s Sandbox Mode. Now we’re ready to outline The Long Dark’s next stage of development. With the first part of Story Mode’s Season One launching in Spring 2016, the entirety of Season One will be released episodically over the remainder of the year.

garath

Spring 2016. This is from a recent email:

In 2014, many of you were among the first to see the game’s Sandbox Mode. Now we’re ready to outline The Long Dark’s next stage of development. With the first part of Story Mode’s Season One launching in Spring 2016, the entirety of Season One will be released episodically over the remainder of the year.

Hmmm. Not too long I guess. But looks like it has had a lot of delays so far. Don't know if we can trust that lol.

But if true, this may be the last sale for it. I may grab it.

The only missed date I was aware of (having owned the game since late 2014) was that they had intended Story Mode to be released at the end of 2015.

fallout

The delays are because the game's survival mode became something of an unexpected hit. The developers have taken the money they've made and reinvested it into the development of both the story and survival modes.

Heh, so in my 2nd save, I'm on Day 10, still in Mystery Lake. I have all the crafting resources I could want for the early game, but there's no rifle to be found, and nor have I come across any maple saplings. So basically it's an exercise in fishing, running from wolves, fishing some more, and running from wolves. After a few days of that I decided to start a new, 3rd, save.

Annnnnd lo and behold, 15 minutes into that save, I find maple saplings, find the rifle, find a box of ammo.

Somnia

Been playing this on PC and XB1, such a good game and I'm glad to support these devs. So we know it's hit 500k on PC and last #'s we got didn't we confirm 100k+ on XB1 also? Glad to see it doing so well.

Top Bottom