• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Marvels Trailer - The sequel to Captain Marvel

Power Pro

Every time Hollywood keeps putting Beastie Boys in a movie, whether it's in the movie or a trailer, I just cringe. It's like a bunch of out of touch old men thinking they're hip, when it comes across an outdated. Beastie Boys are like 30+ years old at this point, it's what would be considered an "oldie" when I was a kid.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Gold Member
some things never change.

sCUaMKQ.png
pzTnLvD.png

SJRB

Gold Member
For all of Marvel's excellent casting choices in the years, Brie Larson has to be one of the most catastrophic miscasts of the entire MCU.

The screen presence and charisma of a sack of rotting potatoes. She brings absolutely nothing and overall a complete and utter misfire.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

They keep introducing kid heroes into these movies as if any of them were likeable, they are all extremely unlikable.

I hope Samuel L got paid a big bag to be a part of this trash because this looks like hot garbage and I say this as someone who thinks Ant man was ok.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I've been having a hard time watching hero films lately, I just don't feel like they are bringing anything new and it's all sorta predictable so why spend the time?

This looks like they should release it straight to D+.

Kilau

Gold Member
This doesn't look worse than any other Marvel movie, actually doesn't look bad. I like little kamala khan on the Spidey show my kids watch.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This has got the be the fucking worst Marvel movie of the bunch.... WTF ... Who is the audience for this tripe?

Last edited:

Puscifer

This is so boring, i wish MCU would just collapse already.

This has got the be the fucking worst Marvel movie of the bunch.... WTF ... Who is the audience for this tripe?

Realistically they won't be going anywhere and I have a theory as to why but it'll sound pretentious.

At this point just let them run their course, it's safe fun that you don't have to worry about something like a woman dry humping a corpse in some indie "real art" film. There's enough film out there that isn't marvel this can be safely ignored

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The comments in this thread had me really curious, and holy shit you guys are right, this is terrible to the point of being hysterical.
Is Ant-Man 3 gonna fail to break $500 mil? That'd be really cool. I hope this movie does even worse. I want Disney franchises to just go away.
Or I mean, I'd also be happy if Disney started making decent fucking movies again.

kunonabi

For all of Marvel's excellent casting choices in the years, Brie Larson has to be one of the most catastrophic miscasts of the entire MCU.

The screen presence and charisma of a sack of rotting potatoes. She brings absolutely nothing and overall a complete and utter misfire.

She can be good with the right material. The problem is she's a much better fit for classic Ms. Marvel than the feminist icon they've been trying to turn the character into when they made her Captain Marvel. She was also let down by a script that gave her nothing to work with and the whole amnesiac/emotionless husk angle. It's like they wanted to pull a Robocop but they didn't realize how difficult that actually is to make compelling and how important Weller and the quality of the script were to making it work.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
For the person who said the teaser trailer gave away the whole plot... No it doesn't. You're being disingenuous.

If it gave away the plot, tell us what the plot is. Go ahead.

Urban

For the person who said the teaser trailer gave away the whole plot... No it doesn't. You're being disingenuous.

If it gave away the plot, tell us what the plot is. Go ahead.

There is a Anomalie happening and every time they use theirs powers they swap "places"
Every other "place" brings his own problem with it
hero 1,2,3 must understand the cultural and life differences of each other
*insert random fight here*
hero 1,2,3 loose because they cant the evil alone but need to together
they overcome their "boundaries" and start understanding each other
*final fight -> is in the trailer*
they fight as 3
*heroes win*

mark it. Ill bet my avatar for 6 weeks on it.

Doom85

I dont see the trailer... But let me guess.

Power and independient girl, multicultural ( we dont need men 💪) ... And the enemy is a white honest and innocent man. 🙈😔

I mean, the Ms. Marvel series had her best friend be a white guy who was nothing but helpful and supportive to her, and then the antagonists were both white but it was actually the white man who told the white woman to stand down after she nearly ordered to have Ms. Marvel and her friends killed. Also the local police force stood against what the villains were doing.

Just Saying Amanda Seales GIF by NBC

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I've been having a hard time watching hero films lately, I just don't feel like they are bringing anything new and it's all sorta predictable so why spend the time?

This looks like they should release it straight to D+.
Yeah I watched I think 30 odd Marvel movies without missing a single one and then all of a sudden I just stopped watching them and now I am basically completely out.

StueyDuck

it's funny that all i see is people mocking this trailer, and rightfully so.

then i thought to myself, can anyone genuinely think this looks good, so i did the Kinda Funny loser test, and there you go, Tim Gettys and Greg millar acting like it's the best marvel thing they've ever seen. when being woke stops you from reading the room where even woke people think this kinda looks garbage, i mean some of those sets looks like they were filmed in a kids stage play with card board cutouts

Joramun

Nothing from that trailer makes me want to watch the movie.

I know it's a Marvel movie but the acting from those two no names is so bad.

It's like Lucy Liu in Shazam.

All those bot comments on YT trying to prop up the movie lol

Last edited:

BlackTron

Imagine if someone told you as a kid, that in the dystopian future Disney will own both Marvel and Star Wars, and by the time you can't even like either any more as an adult, THAT's when the brain-dead obvious Mario movie comes out. We live in a weird timeline.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This looks absolutely horrendous. This might be the worst looking MCU movie I've seen yet from the trailers.

CGNoire

People need more productive and life affirming hobbies

Hate following and outrage-at-woke are the siblings of woke outrage and woke cancellation.

Theyre all part of the same unhappy and bored soup that needs outrage windmills to tilt at , otherwise it doesnt know what to do with itself. And they'll hate me for saying it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
There is a Anomalie happening and every time they use theirs powers they swap "places"
Every other "place" brings his own problem with it
hero 1,2,3 must understand the cultural and life differences of each other
*insert random fight here*
hero 1,2,3 loose because they cant the evil alone but need to together
they overcome their "boundaries" and start understanding each other
*final fight -> is in the trailer*
they fight as 3
*heroes win*

mark it. Ill bet my avatar for 6 weeks on it.
The plot already leaked online. That’s not it.

CGNoire

I think that looks pretty great actually! Admittedly, Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel are a couple of my least favorite MCU entries, but that trailer sold me. Looking forward to it.
Would you be willing to share what excited you or looked good in the trailer?

CGNoire

I give every movie a chance. I don't go in hating something because I'm a culture warrior. Fuck that! That's lame!

That makes no sense.
So your saying your unable to tell whether something is good bye the trailer?
Like no hint at all could possible be extracted from it?

Do you just buy tickets to every Disney movie and only after youve given them you hard earn cash only then do you find out if its even worth it?
Does that really sound like a good strategy to you?

Kev Kev

Would you be willing to share what excited you or looked good in the trailer?
It looked like it had some action, some comedy, I imagine some drama will be weaved into their, and inevitably it will do something to move the MCU storyline forward, just as most of the MCU movies and TV series have done. The remixed music in the trailer was interesting, which gives me the idea it will have a cool soundtrack. I like the dynamic between the young Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel, specifically how she idolizes her and the Avengers in general. And overall it just looks like a fun time.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is the plot leak:
Zawe Ashton’s character is named Dar-Benn. I didn’t see any “sexual tension” which, believe me, I was looking for it. Comments are made about how Carol is “obsessed” with Dar-Benn, but it’s made clear that it’s because Carol doesn’t trust her, and it’s also made VERY clear that Carol isn’t wrong for mistrusting her. She’s quite obviously the villain.

Dar Benn is the regular leader of the Kree, no side factions or anything like that. In flashbacks, she witnesses Carol attacking the Supreme Intelligence and that’s her villain origin story. The Kree refer to Carol as “The Annihilator” or something very similar, and she does not like the name.

Dar-Benn has one bangle, Kamala has the other. No idea how she has it. She’s using it to power a weapon, but she needs both bangles. There’s a funny line where Dar-Benn demands to know how Kamala got such an ancient and powerful artifact and Kamala responds “my grandma sent it to me in the mail.” It wasn't explained in the rough cut that I saw, but almost immediately, Monica, Carol, and Kamala begin switching places every time they use their powers. Monica is working on a space station, SWORD’s “The Peak” headquarters with Nick Fury; Kamala is at home, and Carol is trying to sneak into a Kree/Skrull peace summit because she doesn't trust Dar-Benn, who is the leader of the Kree.

So Carol starts fighting Kree soldiers, and then begins switching with Kamala and Monica, and the Kree soldiers start switching with her. So at one point, Carol is on The Peak with Fury, while Kamala is at the peace summit, and Monica is fighting Kree soldiers in the Khan living room while the Khan family tries to hit them with brooms/fight them/runs around screaming. Very fun sequence. At the end, everyone - Fury included - ends up in the Khan living room, except Kamala. That ending scene in the Ms Marvel show is a direct shot from The Marvels.

Carol leaves the house and tries to fly off, but they switch again, and suddenly Kamala is falling out of the sky, and Fury tells Monica she has to fly and save her; Monica resists, because she doesn't know how to control her flight yet, but Fury yells, "C'mon, Black girl magic!" and Monica flies up to save Kamala. However, she loses control on the way down, everyone is screaming, and at the last second, Monica and Carol switch and Carol is able to stop before they hit the ground. Fury screams as they are dropping and at the last second "AHHHHH - oh it's just Carol."

Anyway. Carol, Monica, and Kamala go off to investigate Dar-Benn, sticking together because they can't control the switching every time they use their powers. It's really not explained, except for some allusion to how their powers are all similar or variations of each other?

They discover that Dar-Benn is using a new weapon to create unstable portals that steal the resources (water, air, sun) of whole planets, and she sends the resources to the destroyed Hala to rebuild it. She's so far destroyed one planet at the beginning of the film for it's atmosphere, she destroys the second at the Kree/Skrull peace talks, then she goes after Aladna to steal their water.

Carol has already been to Aladna and is reluctant to go back because she is the princess, married to Prince Yan in an accidental diplomatic mistake. Everyone on Aladna sings as a way of communicating. Brie sings. She has a lovely voice but it's an awful sequence...

They realize the planet is Dar-Benn’s next target and go there to get help fighting her, to protect the planet and stop her rampage. The girls bond well before this in a montage on Carol’s ship on the way to Aladna. Monica helps Carol get used to working with Kamala - Carol yelled at Kamala in an early scene because Kamala froze up in a pivotal moment, Monica reminds Carol that Kamala isn’t a soldier. Monica and Carol also have conversations about how Carol left and never came back. All three kinda work through their issues. It’s later revealed that Carol did indeed come back and visit Maria, more than once.

Prince Yan doesn't have a crush on Carol, he and Carol are married. But Carol and Prince Yan seem to have a very platonic friendship and mutual respect. Nonetheless, Carol is very embarrassed about it and reluctant to visit Aladna, it's played like she didn't understand the customs and accidentally got diplomatically married to the Prince at some point in the past. The citizens of the planet worship her as their princess. Prince Yan himself is cool though, and isn't played as a goofy trope, though. But it is a whole awkward sequence that goes on for entirely too long. Monica is weirded out by the whole situation; Kamala is excited. Monica asks if Kamala is going to put this in her Captain Marvel fanfiction and Kamala says yes.

Anyway, Carol realizes that she's going after every planet Carol has ever called Home, in an act of revenge. Earth is the last part of the plan. Meanwhile, Fury takes the Khan family up to the space station to keep them protected so he can monitor the situation from there.

A side plot on the space station with Fury: some techs find weird eggs inside all the space station machinery. They're all really worried about some sort of alien attack. The eggs hatch and it's revealed they are newborn Flerken kittens. Chaos ensues on the space station.

Later, the space station is damaged by Dar-Benn when she attacks Earth in the climax. There are not enough escape pods to get everyone off the station before it crashes. Fury comes up with the idea of feeding everyone on the station to the Flerken kittens, then putting all the kittens on the escape pods, and getting to Earth safely that way. It's amusing/bizarre, and the whole film has this really weird tonal clash between a standard marvel movie and something goofier, like Guardians.

Monica and Carol go to Hala, and it is raining for the first time on Hala and the surviving Kree are celebrating, because Dar-Benn brought atmosphere and water back to them. Carol realizes that the Annihilator is accurate from their perspective - she destroyed this planet and the survivors are struggling and she’s a great villain in their eyes, and she has a moral reckoning. Stopping Dar-Benn means destroying Hala all over again. Monica gives her a little bit of a pep talk that basically amounts to “We can’t save everyone, we have to let Hala be destroyed again.” Carol re-affirms her desire to stop Dar-Benn.

In addition to Dar-Benn destroying planets, her creation of portals makes the universe unstable, increasing the likelihood of an incursion, which is another reason they have to stop her. An incursion happens in the climax - Carol fights Dar-Benn while Monica and Kamala try to fix the incursion. Monica ends up flying through this “tear” in the universe and fixes it on the other side, and ends up stuck in that other universe."

Top Bottom