• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nation: Ending Rape Illiteracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLEEK

It's only true end goal is to make sure that minorities aren't ruled out in selection processes, not to give them preferential treatment (over majority members) as some seem to think.

That's Equal Opportunities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_opportunity

Maybe AA means (or has loaded meaning) something different in America, but it is certainty a distinctly different policy than equal opportunity. In the countries I've lived in, AA is around ensuring placement of minorities in positions, either by quota or reducing the required level of requirements. Either way, it's discriminatory.

Yes, I think SPE is mistaking rights with privileges. White people have the same rights they did before the civil rights movement, though not the same privileges.

Again, I think this must be an American thing. The English definition of rights also includes benefits, entitlements and privileges. A right is something that has been legislated.

While "equality" is something that can be hard to define, varying from culture to culture, I think being an advocate for women's rights and equality (to put them on the same level as men, benefiting everyone) is a pretty general and core value to start from.
You'd be surprised. Unless you have a concise definition of feminism that doesn't make it a movement with it's roots in the late 1980's?

Maybe AA means (or has loaded meaning) something different in America, but it is certainty a distinctly different policy than equal opportunity. In the countries I've lived in, AA is around ensuring placement of minorities in positions, either by quota or reducing the required level of requirements. Either way, it's discriminatory.

Again, I think this must be an American thing. The English definition of rights also includes benefits, entitlements and privileges. A right is something that has been legislated.

When women were granted the right to vote, men did not lose rights.
When women were granted the right not to be sexually harassed and especially in the workplace, men did not lose rights.
When women broke the glass ceiling and were able to effectively prove workplace discrimination in hiring/placement/promotion, men did not lose rights.
When abortions were made legal, men did not lose rights.

CLEEK

When women were granted the right not to be sexually harassed and especially in the workplace, men did not lose rights.
When women broke the glass ceiling and were able to effectively prove workplace discrimination in hiring/placement/promotion, men did not lose rights.

And those examples have absolutely nothing to do with my previous comments.

You're being obtuse and looking to argue for no reason. At no point have I said that all women's improved rights have come at the expense of men. Please re-read my posts and quote the parts you think I have stated this.

When abortions were made legal, men did not lose rights.

Yeah, you're kind of being obtuse here. He's not talking about any of those things, I think he's talking about the Tender Years Doctrine and the attempts at rape shield laws that don't give the accused a fair trial.

I don't even understand what is going on here anymore. People are arguing that feminism is bad? Because we were having a discussion about rape?

You're being obtuse and looking to argue for no reason. At no point have I said that all women's improved rights have come at the expense of men. Please re-read my ports and quote the parts you think I have stated this.

When you claim that rights are zero sum, they certainly have to do with it. I'm talking about codified rights.

Alimony? Breadwinner. Britney Spears and Madonna have both paid this. It was also set up because women could not maintain their home and support of their kids being out of work so long.

Child support? Women were expected to rear children while men worked. This is a another patriarchal issue. If employment factored in children better for either set of parents this would be less of an issue as well. As it stands women are still expected to stay home.

Affirmative Action? In the US it makes sure that people look at a broad range of qualified candidates. But quota systems here are illegal.

Kazerei

Banned
Actually, rape is pretty well codified in law. A lot of the objections that people have (from either side) are already taken into account. The problem is not with the actual laws generally, rape tends to get a similar number of convictions as other, similar crimes like murder.

I agree that the legal definitions are fine, it's just that our understanding of it is generally pretty sketchy. So there's alot of to discuss about the "meat" and not just the "corners" when it comes to rape.

Yes, a right is something that has been legislated. Now which rights have the majority lost?

(We were referring to privilege in the more colloquial sense)

They share similarities, but in regards to AA, I meant having companies, for example, reaching out to and advertising to minority groups to attract equally qualify people and try to remove arbitrary barriers for certain groups rather than simply choosing a black candidate over a white one.
You'd be surprised. Unless you have a concise definition of feminism that doesn't make it a movement with it's roots in the late 1980's?
I think what I specified was pretty concise. I'm not denying that there's also a feminist movement, but the movement isn't feminism itself.

One thing I'm curious about is those that label themselves anti-feminist, because the classical definition of that term is someone who rejects the notion that inequality is bad, or that equality between the genders should be worked towards, usually on the basis of traditions and religion.

I don't even understand what is going on here anymore. People are arguing that feminism is bad? Because we were having a discussion about rape?

No, there's an attempt to say that 'I am a feminist, anyone that disagrees with me hates women'. I can grab quotes if you like, but there's quite a bit of it. The argument against this is that feminism doesn't hold any particular monopoly on being a decent person and that it's possible to disagree with positions held by people that identify as feminist without being a terrible person.

People trying to pretend patriarchy doesn't exist. In 2012.

See, this is what I'm talking about. You haven't provided a definition of patriarchy (the US certainly isn't a government with codified male rule), you're just shitposting about how terrible everyone else is as a human being. Because they disagree with you.

The victim complex is astounding.

TUROK

That's not happening at all.

God, I love these threads, I really do. The same people who accuse others of attacking "straw feminists" are misrepresenting the arguments held by the "opposition" time and time again.

No, there's an attempt to say that 'I am a feminist, anyone that disagrees with me hates women'. I can grab quotes if you like, but there's quite a bit of it. The argument against this is that feminism doesn't hold any particular monopoly on being a decent person and that it's possible to disagree with positions held by people that identify as feminist without being a terrible person.

I haven't seen anyone say that not agreeing with them makes you a bad person. I have however seen people in this thread be baffled that getting a woman completely wasted in order to have sex with her is considered rape.

Feminism is about making sure that women have the same right as men, and that men have the same rights as women. I don't understand why people would consider that a bad thing.

CLEEK

When you claim that rights are zero sum, they certainly have to do with it. I'm talking about codified rights.

Alimony? Breadwinner. Britney Spears and Madonna have both paid this. It was also set up because women could not maintain their home and support of their kids being out of work so long.

Child support? Women were expect to rear children while men worked. This is a another patriarchal issue. If employment factored in children better for either set of parents this would be less of an issue as well. As it stands women are still expected to stay home.

Affirmative Action? In the US it makes sure that people look at a broad range of qualified candidates. So quota systems here are illegal.

You'd already quoted my comment on the zero game part. I'll re-quote and bold for clarity.

that means there are aspects of the movement what view rights as a zero sum game.

Aspects, dude. Not all. There are those within the feminist movement that hold these view.

And again, for your list, go back to my comment, which again I'll re-quote and bold.

Historically, you have alimony, child support, child guardianship, affirmative action etc. Some of these still have legally defined gender bias.

There are still legal discrepancies around child guardianship that favour woman. The Men's Rights movement, itself having a part of its movement driven by bigotry, does have valid points around the laws that discriminate against men.

Again, going back to my point around labels, I could never identify with the Men's Rights movement, due to its unpleasant end of the spectrum, even though I support the desire for equal legal rights, regardless of gender.

Kazerei

Banned

You're being obtuse and looking to argue for no reason. At no point have I said that all women's improved rights have come at the expense of men. Please re-read my posts and quote the parts you think I have stated this.

How so? Look at the civil rights movement and affirmative action. The goal of it was to bring the level of opportunity of minorities up to the level of the majority. But in doing so, they reduced the rights of the majority. That's a clear example of zero sum game when it comes to single issue politics.

In gender politics, similar views can be found - even affirmative action for women. They are not mainstream, but they exists.

?

pigeon

Banned
Nope. Feminism is simply an identity based political movement. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no guardian of the feminist club, there's no core principles that you have to work from, there's no way that you can kick anyone out.

Same definition games that SPE is engaging in.

That's not happening at all.

God, I love these threads, I really do. The same people who accuse others of attacking "straw feminists" are misrepresenting the arguments held by the "opposition" time and time again.

No, I honestly don't understand what you are arguing about. A bunch of people came into a thread discussing how some people don't understand what rape is and started talking about feminism in a bad light.

See, this is what I'm talking about. You haven't provided a definition of patriarchy (the US certainly isn't a government with codified male rule), you're just shitposting about how terrible everyone else is as a human being. Because they disagree with you.

The victim complex is astounding.
I think people are talking about the US being patriarchal on a sociocultural level rather on a governmental one. That's a whole other argument, though.

There are still legal discrepancies around child guardianship that favour woman. The Men's Rights movement, itself having a part of its movement driven by bigotry, does have valid points around the laws that discriminate against men.

Again, going back to my point around labels, I could never identify with the Men's Rights movement, due to its unpleasant end of the spectrum, even though I support the desire for equal legal rights, regardless of gender.

There is a gender bias because surprise surprise men are still for the most part breadwinners and we still have patriarchal notions about who is the "check" and who is the "care giver." If you want this to change, you have to dismantle the patriarchy and guess which movement is all about that?

TUROK

I have however seen people in this thread be baffled that getting a woman completely wasted in order to have sex with her is considered rape.
Everyone already agreed that that is rape.

The points of contention came up when discussing instances in which both parties were drunk, or one was slightly less drunk than the other, or any sort of variations that don't include one person getting the other drunk on purpose.

Are you not keeping up with the thread on purpose?

No, I honestly don't understand what you are arguing about. A bunch of people came into a thread discussing how some people don't understand what rape is and started talking about feminism in a bad light.
Well, that answers my question.

The points of contention came up when discussing instances in which both parties were drunk, or one was slightly less drunk than the other, or any sort of variations that don't include one person getting the other drunk on purpose.

Nope, I just don't get what the big issue here as everyone is arguing in circles. I'll leave you to it.

Well, that answers my question.
To be fair, the thread has since departed from merely discussing what constitutes rape.

Same definition games that SPE is engaging in.

If it's unimportant then admit that feminism doesn't automatically preclude someone from being terrible and you don't have to identify as feminist to be awesome. Otherwise this turns into a dumb shitfest where people try to act like having feminist credentials actually means something.

FyreWulff

See, this is what I'm talking about. You haven't provided a definition of patriarchy (the US certainly isn't a government with codified male rule)

Oh, we passed the Equal Rights Amendment? When did that happen?

A woman still has to obtain permission of her husband to get her tubes tied if she no longer wants to have kids. A husband can go get clipped without any consent, notification, or feedback from his wife.

Kazerei

Banned
? yourself. We've already covered this. You don't view AA is discriminatory. I, and other countries legal systems, do.

You suggested that AA reduced the rights of the majority. That's not true. A right is something that has been legislated.

Both the U.K. and the U.S. have outlawed race quotas, because those are discriminatory. That doesn't mean AA doesn't exist in those countries, because that's not what AA is about.

I think you're misunderstanding what AA and feminism are actually about. It's not about discrimination or oppressing the majority.

? yourself. We've already covered this. You don't view AA is discriminatory. I, and other countries legal systems, do.
For the sake of keeping myself more informed and trying to understand your argument better, could you provide some discrete examples of what you are talking about? I know that quotas and the like are discriminatory, obviously, so I don't mean that.
If it's unimportant then admit that feminism doesn't automatically preclude someone from being terrible and you don't have to identify as feminist to be awesome. Otherwise this turns into a dumb shitfest where people try to act like having feminist credentials actually means something.
I don't think someone's beliefs reflect whether someone is a bad person or not. But I feel like there's some confusion in this thread since people seem to be agreeing on certain things, but not on their self-labels.

I think the implications of being "anti-feminist" are that of being against equal rights of women (which its definition wouldn't disagree with), which would sound bad to some people, whether that is what the person meant or not. I consider myself an egalitarian, and I also consider myself a feminist. What those terms actually mean in the representation of my beliefs are more important than what others think they mean, though.

CLEEK

You suggested that AA reduced the rights of the majority. That's not true. A right is something that has been legislated.

Both the U.K. and the U.S. have outlawed race quotas. That doesn't mean AA doesn't exist in those countries, because that's not what AA is about.

I think you're misunderstanding what AA and feminism are actually about. It's not about oppressing the majority.

Holy fuck.

AA in the UK doesn't exist - it's illegal. As far as I remember, exemptions to this were made in Northern Ireland as part of the peace process, to get more Catholics into positions of influence.

I don't misunderstand AA at all. And what particular branch/movement of feminism are you claiming I don't understand. If you just say 'feminism', then it is you who need to do some book learnin' on the subject matter.

Holy fuck.

AA in the UK doesn't exist - it's illegal. As far as I remember, exemptions to this were made in Northern Ireland as part of the peace process, to get more Catholics into positions of influence.

I don't misunderstand AA at all. And what particular branch/movement of feminism are you claiming I don't understand. If you just say 'feminism', then it is you who need to do some book learnin' on the subject matter.

Says the guy who keeps conflating privilege and rights. Here's a nice perk of feminism we all can enjoy: the sexual revolution.

FyreWulff

The ERA is the dumbest shit. It does nothing that the 14th + 19th don't do already.

If that was actually true, there would be no reason to resist it's ratification.

Women still don't have equal rights in the United States of America.

As I pointed out above, there are many aspects where women are still considered the property of men, or lesser than men. I can list more examples, if you like.

To believe this doesn't bleed over into people's ideas of how sexual encounters should work assumes everything in society exists in a vacuum.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
To label it as discriminatory is to misunderstand the entire basis for its existence. The image Squiddy posted is particularly relevant. Your protestations of "zero sum game" only apply to special privilege above and beyond the kind of supposed "unalienable rights" that all peoples regardless of race or gender, should enjoy. The kind of privileges that come from the subjugation and withholding of rights from those outside the dominant group.

You are either willfully mistaking the difference between rights and privileges as has already been said, or you are failing to understand the main point you are being criticized for: that the kind of feminism being discussed here is a "zero sum game".

I think the implications of being "anti-feminist" are that of being against equal rights of women (which its definition wouldn't disagree with)

Let people define themselves as they please. Feminism is a political movement. Anti-feminism implies opposition to that political movement, nothing more. Womanism could also consider itself anti-feminist due to it's opposition of privileged white women due to their exploitation of the experiences of POC without due consideration for their wishes.

I'm not arguing that feminism is terrible or that it's useless, I generally agree with moderate feminists but the kind of arguing that the feminists are doing here is intellectually dishonest.

Kazerei

Banned
Holy fuck.

The Equality Act (2010) has a chapter on positive action. That's AA.

The part of feminism that supposedly views rights as a zero sum game.

If that was actually true, there would be no reason to resist it's ratification.

Women still don't have equal rights in the United States of America.

As I pointed out above, there are many aspects where women are still considered the property of men, or lesser than men. I can list more examples, if you like.

To believe this doesn't bleed over into people's ideas of how sexual encounters should work assumes everything in society exists in a vacuum.

What do you see, specifically, being different with an equal rights amendment in place?

Mumei

This ended up far longer than I expected, which is odd because I think that Shouta and I are mostly in agreement on the issues.

Even with false charges being a small portion of the ones reported, it doesn't change the fact that men feel uneasy that it exists. Getting caught up in a random shooting or getting your house robbed or your car getting stolen is an incredibly tiny possibility but it doesn't stop people from putting themselves at alert, preparing for that possibility. It makes people feel safer. When the possibility hangs over your head, no matter how likely it is, you want to prepare yourself.

That atmosphere of fear isn't just a matter of being falsely accused to the police. It's about the view and mentality outside of that as well. As I pointed out in my prior post, men that are pedophiles are a fraction of the general population but because of the way it's viewed by people, men have become more afraid. The situation of children playing with a grown man has gone from that to a possible pedophile preying on them even when it doesn't look like it. It's something that good men are scared of in our day and age. Their normal or supportive behavior is seen in a negative light. It's a helluva scary thing.

For men that react in these threads, correct me if I'm wrong guys, the fear is that if this isn't addressed as a part of making sure men are more educated about consent, helping women to be more forward about rape reports, and making sure it's properly handled by the justice system, it might cause the view of men to worsen and further developing that scary image.

I don't think what you say here is representative of views that they have been expressed in the past. That is to say, in years of having these discussions, I have never seen someone make a connection between paranoia about pedophilia and men feeling uncomfortable with behaving affectionately towards their own children in public, let alone behaving protectively towards other peoples' children, and a concern that somehow that furthering education on consent and encouraging reporting of rape and making sure it is properly handled causes fears about false rape allegations (Wouldn't making sure cases are handled properly help? Wouldn't dealing with issues of shame and double-standards about female sexuality help to deal with one motive for false rape allegations; fear of social censure for having sex? I feel like the very concerns you are talking about are addressed in the agenda you say worries them.) or causes fears about a worsening image of men. And on its own terms, I think that the pedophilia comparison is interesting, but I don't think there is any potential for perceptions of men vis-a-vis sexual assault to become akin to those of men vis-a-vis pedophilia.

Instead what I see in these conversations is a presupposition that there are a lot of false rape allegations, a presumption that we are suggesting that men should be locked up on a woman's say-so alone, and an unspoken presupposition that women are untrustworthy and are just waiting to lie about consensual sex and call it rape the next day. By addressing those myths with facts, we are addressing these issues, even if we aren't taking them seriously as concerns.

You're certainly right and clearing up those myths is part of proper education.

But being dismissive of the argument that lays beyond that misinformation only serves to put men in a more adversarial stance.

I think I should clarify what I meant by "dismissive." I do not mean that their concerns are summarily dismissed without being not addressed. I think that their concerns are addressed and addressed repeatedly over multiple topics - it is very rare that someone brings a new concern to the table. I am envisioning something like the following:

Person 1: "I'm worried about false rape allegations; there's nothing to stop a woman from just saying he raped her and ruining his life!"
Person 2: "There are hardly any false rape allegations, there are already laws for false reporting of crimes, and it is unlikely in the extreme that a he-said-she-said without any physical evidence of a crime is going to result in a conviction. False rape allegations are terrible when they happen, but they are not an endemic problem in the justice system and we don't require special or extraordinary measures to deal with the problem, and insisting that they are a bigger problem than they are can actually be damaging to perceptions of rape victim testimony, particularly if we believe myths about how rape victims "should" look, sound, or behave."

I suppose that conversation is a bit curtly dismissive but I also think that it addresses the concern. If Person 1 continues saying, "But false rape allegations are a huge problem! Women can just get a man locked up just by making an accusation!" I start to think that something is wrong. Does he not understand the argument? Is he approaching this conversation with the idea that false rape allegations are endemic and is undissuadable by facts? So perhaps I will try again to explain. If he continues to do the exact same thing without modifying his position or addressing the information I presented, I have to begin to question just how sincerely he is approaching this conversation and whether he is approaching this conversation from a place of ignorance and has an interest in having his concerns addressed and learning more or whether he is simply trying to advocate a demonstrably false perspective irrespective of the facts.

And if this is someone whom I have spoken to before, and this is someone I know has a history of arguing the feminism is a plot to subjugate men or passionately arguing anti-feminist or even misogynistic (I don't conflate the two) perspectives on the basis of clearly held principles, I am suspicious about the idea that, if only I took his concerns seriously this eighth time, everything would fall into place and he would change his mind. It is because of this that I believe that in many cases you have the order of causation backwards; oftentimes there are men in these conversations who come into the conversation with an adversarial stance towards addressing issues of sexual assault and rape (they present it as anti-male in some fashion (more on this in a moment)); the adversarial stance is not created by dismissiveness by exists prior to it, and the dismissiveness itself is a reaction to that adversarial stance.

You are right, of course, that this is not everyone, which is why I do try to address the concerns even when I don't think that they are engaging with me sincerely (and by "sincerely" I mean "Willing to listen and to change their minds as they learn new things"; I'm sure their beliefs are sincerely held), I have to assume that there are people who are reading who are neutral or confused and are willing to listen, even if I sometimes have my doubts about my interlocutors. I think of those people as a more potentially persuadable audience than the person I am actually discussing something with. But I think it is a mistake to simply presume that the issue here is that peoples' concerns are not being adequately addressed and not that they don't have issues they want addressed; they are simply trying to express their viewpoints.

And I realize that you weren't necessarily talking about me in the particular when you were talking about how some people are seeing their concerns dismissed, but I think that by and large other people actually do address those concerns with a lot of patience.

A dismissive attitude and the focus of discussion being entirely on what men do to women makes it look like men are being attacked. Discussing it from the men committing it to women viewpoint is perfectly valid (as it makes up the majority of cases), it's the reality. But if the valid concerns are brushed off, no matter how tiny they may be compared to the bigger problem, then what's the point of actual discussion? Men feel like this issue isn't about them, just about women because of the way it's conveyed.

Speaking in broad generalities, the issues of rape and sexual assault are about what men to do women and about what men to do to men, and outside of prison it is overwhelmingly an issue of what men do to women - as you say. Given that, I don't see how it is possible to have a discussion about rape and sexual assault and simply bury that because some men are oversensitive enough to think that a discussion about "Men who rape and sexually assault" is a discussion that is attacking them, men who I presume do not in fact rape or sexually assault anyone.

Truth be told, I am having some difficulty thinking of a concern I have seen someone express which was not easily answerable with, "No, that's not what we want to do" or "No, we don't think all men are rapists" or "No, we really do think that is a problem, too" or "No, that is actually a myth and here's why," or some variation on one of those themes.

Shoot, even saying "educating" men is loaded, hence kevm3's reaction.

In point of fact, the article hardly mentioned men outside of quotes from outside sources. It also talked about both men and women with these misconceptions and gave examples of both. The article was actually quite scrupulous about not making this an "We need to educate the men" issue, but a "We have a problem culturally and both men and women are susceptible to this."

Unfortunately, it is simply the case - see one of my earlier posts in #76 or #106 for study data and illustrative anecdotes - that a lot of men do not understand consent. And not uncoincidentally it is also true that women do not understand consent (see the issue of "gray rape" mentioned in the article), precisely because this is not a "men" problem but a cultural problem, and educating men is simply part of that project.

Asking them what scares them about it and then discussing that in the broader sense might be a start.

Rape is an all-encompassing issue. It affects men and it affects women. It affects women more but that shouldn't mean that men and the issues pertaining to what occurs to them should be passed up for later.

Okay, then. I'll try that:

Guys, what scares you about an agenda that involves better education about consent, more encouragement to report rape and sexual assault, better practices from law enforcement and judiciary in investigating rape allegations, and opposition to an ideology of sexual puritanism that attaches female ethical and moral worth to suppression of one's sexuality?

And if this is not the "it" that scares you, what is and what scares you about that?

You said it yourself that there is more of a issue with men believing that false rapes are a problem. Why is that? I think that this issue is poorly understand from the male perspective, or at least, I haven't run into literature that wasn't biased in some form. Getting to the heart of that problem and figuring out would help in the long run.

If we believe that false rape reports are more common than they are, we might also be more skeptical about claims of rape in general, we might look for reasons to be suspicious of rape testimony including buying into rape myths, and we might treat rape victims in a hostile manner. These are, of course, all problems with our handling of rape nowadays and it is unfortunately true that law enforcement is actually more likely to subscribe to rape myths such as the idea that a woman must have struggled or a woman should have disheveled hair or a woman should be in a particular emotional state.

Atrus

Gold Member

Guys, what scares you about an agenda that involves better education about consent, more encouragement to report rape and sexual assault, better practices from law enforcement and judiciary in investigating rape allegations, and opposition to an ideology of sexual puritanism that attaches female ethical and moral worth to suppression of one's sexuality?

When Shouta stated that I'm fairly certain he meant it without you having to phrase it in a condescending manner, which again reinforces his point.

Do you actually believe this type of 'dialogue' enhances discussion or is part of the reason why people will continually reject siding with your positions?

pigeon

Banned
Seriously?

This is the same definitional game AGAIN. What do you want here? By the mainstream definition of the word, you can't be a feminist and a radical misandrist. You can definitely be a terrible person and a feminist, because there are lots of ways to be a terrible person. I will accept for the moment that you can be a good person and not a feminist.

Let people define themselves as they please. Feminism is a political movement. Anti-feminism implies opposition to that political movement, nothing more. Womanism could also consider itself anti-feminist due to it's opposition of privileged white women due to their exploitation of the experiences of POC without due consideration for their wishes.

I'm not arguing that feminism is terrible or that it's useless, I generally agree with moderate feminists but the kind of arguing that the feminists are doing here is intellectually dishonest.
I would disagree with feminism being just a political movement. And when I think of an anti-feminist, I would think of what the Oxford English Dictionary defines as...
"one opposed to women or to feminism; a person (usu. a man) who is hostile to sexual equality or to the advocacy of women's rights."
...and all the literature/ideology involved with wanting to keep things the way they are. I don't want to argue semantics or definitions though, so I'll just leave it at that.

Reuenthal

Banned

And if this is not the "it" that scares you, what is and what scares you about that?

Nothing. That you assume that it is a problem. Your tone is part of the problem, it is really accusatory.

But the problem is that this is not necessarily the agenda.

What I mean those parts I like such as those found in what I quote can be a part of that agenda but parts I don't like such as the one I mentioned in my previous post can also be part of your agenda and you might interpret those parts as being parts of the same package, when I don't agree.

But yeah I approve feminists making no means no campaigns. Do it, it would benefit society and you are right about that.

The problem is that the answers to most of these don't really involve men. There's a whole other set of issues with male victim rape (and they're more serious than people tend to think, recent CDC numbers put female on male rape at the same rate of incidence as male on female) but the issue with female victim rape not being prosecuted is largely about the victims not wanting to really deal with what happened to them. The emphasis should be on therapy and police training, and that's largely where it is right now.

This is the same definitional game AGAIN. What do you want here? By the mainstream definition of the word, you can't be a feminist and a radical misandrist. You can definitely be a terrible person and a feminist, because there are lots of ways to be a terrible person. I will accept for the moment that you can be a good person and not a feminist.

Ok, so you kicked all the feminists born before 1980 out of the club? You're the one playing a definition game, I'm just pointing out that trying to make a strict definition is dumb. You give me your definition, I'll give you mine and we'll see which one consistently describes a movement that started in the late 1800s.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Dismantling the patriarchy in favor of gender equity is feminism. If you are averse to those ideas, you are not a feminist and are either asserting yourself falsely as one or an anti-feminist. Many people just want to dodge the label thanks to the vilification of said label. But anyone who basically agrees with more equality for women is a feminist. Like I said, where people butt heads is how to go about the change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

As usual, I agree with your overall points, but understand that there's room for improvement in enabling people to understand your points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom