• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the next Xbox is planned to be released in late 2026.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So then that's where I'm confused with their next "possible" strategy. Like......how does MS expect this to work exactly. If they make the next Halo game next-gen only and not for Xbox Series consoles................then the game will have to work on a super underpowered handheld. How does that compete with a PS6 only game?

So does this make sense to you then? Because I can't get my head around it.
I'm expecting it'll be able to run games at very low resolution and upscale with AI. Even lower on a small screen.

And then if a game doesn't want to be held back, it wont work on it. Not every single PC game is steam deck verified. That's really all it is. It's an optional handheld you can buy to play all your BC games, your indie games, and a large chunk of current gen games. They just did a preview showing Baldur's Gate 3 at 30 fps on ARM, and that was supposedly a challenging Series S game.

Even if it stays a whole gen behind, it's a nice option to play for indies and tons and tons of PC games.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
The current leak is that the handheld is as powerful as the Series X. My guess is that the handheld is next year and that the new console would come out in 2026. The Series X & and handheld would effetely be the Series S console. Which is why now you have the discless one for $450.
So the handheld which becomes a portable series X would be a pretty powerful handheld to be fair u less they tweak down the gpu and cpus for efficiency. I also believe a new pc/console hybrid is on the table but that handheld is going to have to have a dock that upscales to whatever the console is. They can’t expect people will buy both units. Developers are not going to be happy about 3 specs buildouts. Mobile / docked / new console.

$350.00 handheld
$250.00 Dock to get to console specs

New console $599.99

Last edited:

Audiophile

If they lock a next-gen platform in with a handheld (rather than making it legacy + native), while occupying only a small corner of the market...I wonder if many devs will just skip it altogether and go PC+PS5/PS6.

The current leak is that the handheld is as powerful as the Series X. My guess is that the handheld is next year and that the new console would come out in 2026. The Series X & and handheld would effetely be the Series S console. Which is why now you have the discless one for $450.
lol there's no way they are making a handheld as powerful as the Series X. DF doubted they could make one as powerful as the Series S.

Last edited:

Del_X

Oh I have said before this fabled handheld will likely hold back yet another gen especially the much higher priced Xbox/PC that people talk about (which is the one that would compete with the PS6)
They could just not force parity.

Not very Xbox game needs to support the handheld and I think it’s insane to expect it to.

My guess is it’s effectively a series s with a little more RAM and AI upscaling, so internal resolutions scaling down to 360-480p will be common.

schaft0620

So the handheld which becomes a portable series X would be a pretty powerful handheld to be fair u less they tweak down the gpu and cpus for efficiency. I also believe a new pc/console hybrid is on the table but that handheld is going to have to have a dock that upscales to whatever the console is. They can’t expect people will buy both units. Developers are not going to be happy about 3 specs buildouts. Mobile / docked / new console.

$350.00 handheld
$250.00 Dock to get to console specs

New console $599.99

GPU and CPU power is not hot swappable and the components would have to be essentially connected at the PCB like an NES cartridge for that to work.

The handheld is like a ROG Ally and in the price range of the expensive one.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
GPU and CPU power is not hot swappable and the components would have to be essentially connected at the PCB like an NES cartridge for that to work.

The handheld is like a ROG Ally and in the price range of the expensive one.
Than it won’t suffice as a series X I understand the hot swappable stuff I’m just saying they can redesign an older chip which the x will be by 2026 for sure. That would save them a lot of money or they will have to go with a zen 5 which is expected. Ally struggles with 1080p on most game hogwarts was dragging so bad. I sold it recently cause it’s not really good

ppl that say 6 yrs or less for a next gen console is perfect or great timing are just ppl that chase new Hardware and higher power on Consoles. They aren’t tru console gamers. These ppl belong on a PC if that’s what yall are looking for go for that hardware . Console need a healthy life cycle in my opinion.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Who the fuck wants a Xbox Handheld? You can already play on the cloud on the go, so buy some Razer Kishi or something like that and boom. Its already there. As we see with hanhelds like SteamDeck, Rog Ally, etc. They are limited on compute side, they are massive, lasts 2 hours and not really ready for mainstream. Few nerds on the internet and Valve Simps does not mean that handheld from some other company would work. Especially from MS.

Top Bottom