• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Xbox is on track for 2026; features two SKUs including a Switch-like handheld, it's claimed

Not sure how a handheld is a bad idea when the market has proven there is demand for high-end portable/hybrid machines. I would like to see them give it a go, at least.
MSI Claw and ROG Ally are laughing at you.

What they allegedly want to release already exists. A portable gamepass machine. All Xbox exclusives are available for pc also, so get a Claw or Ally, GP for Pc and this alleged handheld has no right to exist in the current console market.
It's idiotic to think they will do this.

DaGwaphics

What they allegedly want to release already exists. A portable gamepass machine. All Xbox exclusives are available for pc also, so get a Claw or Ally, GP for Pc and this alleged handheld has no right to exist in the current console market.

Why? That's like saying it's idiotic for them to sell surface products. If they sell it at a profit, like obviously the Claw and Ally are doing, how is that a negative for them? 🤷‍♂️

LordBritish

I would love a handheld Xbox that plays everything in my library (over 300 games, thank you 3 free games a month for the past 10 years, sucks it is gone), plus all the gamepass...
Id pay $400 for it but it has to come with 3 years of warranty because of stick drift...

call it Xbox Jr or Xbox 180

Three

whether they sell it on their own store is irrelevant because you can just get it at best buy or other retail stores.
I meant a digital store to buy games.
The point is their handheld is already on the market being sold to consumers. They are not going to let xbox license the product and sell it with xbox branding because it competes directly with their own product.
But I don't get it. Their own handheld is a windows machine already and any other additional machine would be selling a different machine you make profit on. It would be like not selling any other laptops because you already sell a different model. You could probably even rebrand that same machine come 2026. what would they lose? It's not like the old machine was their own ecosystem or something. It will be an official licenced 'xbox' product not necessarily missing any OEM branding. Like controllers.
Plus this also looks bad for xbox because consumers will think it's just a clone. This is not the case of licensing some generic power supply from a chinese OEM and slapping your name on it. That PSU OEM is willing to license it to you because they are not selling it directly to consumers. It makes money from selling to other brands. There's a huge difference.

Besides, entering the handheld space makes no sense for xbox. They are losing to sony and now they are going to compete with likes of Nintendo and Valve. Fight a two front war??
It's a one front war of trying to keep their store and subscription relevant. It would only require a portable UI OS. It's essentially a PC gamepass machine for all other intents and purposes. I don't think they care that it might seem like a clone.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah, but one of the biggest complaints about windows handhelds is windows. If Microsoft can create an Xbox console redesigned as a handheld then I think that is a more compelling option than what they have done elsewhere. And what if they create a handheld that address all the issues with Switch when being docked as well so that it isn't such a horrible experience? I certainly see a lot more value in a device like that than say......a new iteration of Xbox Series S. And from the standpoint of not doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.......this makes a lot of sense, imo.

twilo99

Well yeah.....different people say different things at different times. Personally I think it makes sense, but at this point I can understand why folks ain't exactly keen on Microsoft making new hardware either.

What’s wrong with them making new hardware?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Who in their right mind would ever want that?
Well, it would be a massive merging of libraries, and Game Pass sales on PC would likely sky-rocket. Merging my Steam and Xbox libraries would be pretty amazing, so I can't say I'd be upset about that. No doubt MS would find some way to screw it up, though, so it's not a good timeline. Also, it would never get beyond regulators.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
2026 is way too soon for a significant hardware upstep. At best you'll get a mild upgrade and a form-factor change.

Topher

Gold Member
Well, it would be a massive merging of libraries, and Game Pass sales on PC would likely sky-rocket. Merging my Steam and Xbox libraries would be pretty amazing, so I can't say I'd be upset about that. No doubt MS would find some way to screw it up, though, so it's not a good timeline. Also, it would never get beyond regulators.

I just don't think Microsoft has earned the right to lead gaming on PC. They have their own Windows store and it is just a failure. So yeah, they would screw up Steam and yes, I'm thankful for regulators.

But you understand why some people are not keen on it so I was hoping to get some insight on that..

Because clearly gamers are not keen on their current hardware so what is new hardware going to do? Now.....keep in mind that I said that without considering the possibility of a handheld. I think that would be a new dynamic and could be a needed change for the direction of Xbox, but simply creating a new iteration of the same failing hardware is going to be met with nothing but yawns.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I just don't think Microsoft has earned the right to lead gaming on PC. They have their own Windows store and it is just a failure. So yeah, they would screw up Steam and yes, I'm thankful for regulators.

Because clearly gamers are not keen on their current hardware so what is new hardware going to do? Now.....keep in mind that I said that without considering the possibility of a handheld. I think that would be a new dynamic and could be a needed change for the direction of Xbox, but simply creating a new iteration of the same failing hardware is going to be met with nothing but yawns.
I have seen some people say they expect Phil to reveal the refreshed Series X adorably all digital at the same great price, no one is buying that thing

Maybe thats why they expect a 40% drop in hardware sales

Yeah, but one of the biggest complaints about windows handhelds is windows. If Microsoft can create an Xbox console redesigned as a handheld then I think that is a more compelling option than what they have done elsewhere. And what if they create a handheld that address all the issues with Switch when being docked as well so that it isn't such a horrible experience? I certainly see a lot more value in a device like that than say......a new iteration of Xbox Series S. And from the standpoint of not doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.......this makes a lot of sense, imo.
If Microsoft can keep iterating on their Windows "compact mode", an Xbox handheld could probably also run Steam. That not only fills the gap in their Japanese software lineup and PS/PC exclusives, but gives the handheld access to Steam exclusives that aren't on Playstation. Gabe said Valve were working on something with Xbox in 2020 so who knows. Wishes are free :lollipop_baby_angel:

2026 is way too soon for a significant hardware upstep. At best you'll get a mild upgrade and a form-factor change.
Pro consoles already reduced the 4/fauxK effect current gen could have had. But it is not entirely impossible to shift consoles to smaller incremental steps, maybe even yearly like phone, which barely changed between Android 4 or 13... and make every gen crossgen, maybe even three (or more) gens at once being supported. I guess MS with their virtualisation going on, might be able to handle that quite well on the OS level.
But it would ruin the wow factor even more, even though they could keep up with PC better, while cross gen limits would hold it back at the same time. Probably a nightmare for devs and not really what consoles are supposed to be. At least imho. Maybe MS tries to bombard the market with always up to date consoles, while selling and supporting the previous gens as the low spec, sorta all in on S-Series, and move everything anyway to the cloud and as per current speculation doing it also as a third party for Sony and Nintendo's next handheld. Competing on games with everyone and also competing with every possible hardware. Dominating probably with none, but just being everywhere. I guess quality would need to improve either way. Any strategy can work, if the games are selling and profit is made.

I would welcome MS finally commiting to a strategy. Their flip flopping certainly hold their possible success back as do other factors. GfWL and Xbone online only could both have been decent, better than they were, if they just would have walked the talk.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
A new console would mainly serve the people who have collected massive digital libraries over the last 2 decades. That's the group Xbox needs to be careful with as well, because a company as massive and rich as them not having a good way to transition that library could maybe even be in some legal trouble, IMO. It's not like Stadia where Google just returned all money spent on digital items.

Papa_Wisdom

Sony won't allow any of this... They will require a commitment from MS to allow their games on Playstation Store

Once they go third party, they can't go back to first party exclusive after 2 years...

LOL
Been waiting over 20 years for sega to reverse that decision and come back to the arms race

only joking

I’m not actually joking"

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I have seen some people say they expect Phil to reveal the refreshed Series X adorably all digital at the same great price, no one is buying that thing

Maybe thats why they expect a 40% drop in hardware sales

One could become quite the bookie taking bets on next gen Xbox hardware, couldn't they?

If Microsoft can keep iterating on their Windows "compact mode", an Xbox handheld could probably also run Steam. That not only fills the gap in their Japanese software lineup and PS/PC exclusives, but gives the handheld access to Steam exclusives that aren't on Playstation. Gabe said Valve were working on something with Xbox in 2020 so who knows. Wishes are free :lollipop_baby_angel:

That would be one heck of a frankendevice, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I THINK you are close

Maybe MS doesn't even make this handheld and lets the MSI and Asus of the world make it for them but not a windows machine

Topher

Gold Member
I THINK you are close

Maybe MS doesn't even make this handheld and lets the MSI and Asus of the world make it for them but not a windows machine

OEM rumor……check
Handheld rumor…….check

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Microsoft would kill all that is good about PC gaming, closing the walls of the "garden" forever (like they kinda already did with windows apps).

Fuck that.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just realized something wild. Xbox might reveal a new gen before the game they announced the last with (Hellblade II) is even released.

Now that would be something. But there's no way Phil would be this stupid to announce their next-gen Xbox next week in February 2024! It's just too dumb to believe. Sorry!

I THINK you are close

But wouldn't that make the device cost at least $500, but probably over $600?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Now that would be something. But there's no way Phil would be this stupid to announce their next-gen Xbox next week in February 2024! It's just too dumb to believe. Sorry!
They have to show commitment next week, or else they lose a lot of existing customers. I think they at least reveal a codename for the next console (or maybe both products rumored).

pasterpl

With How tech is advancing, shorter generations make sense. Now the ARM rumours starting to make sense, ARM handheld (might be pure xcloud machine) + dock (=eGPU with AMD latest), would be cool if they would make it upgradable. I can see this all setup running on windows with Xbox app theme and some addons, would make it cheaper to develop games, at the end of the day it would be a PC with Xbox branding, if they would also allow some sort of Steam on this it would sell quite well.

splattered

I'm not really interested in a mobile series s until next generation w more powerful hardware probably. So cool for anyone that wants then but not for me just yet.

Kurotri

A less powerful device that's going to drag down the "high-end" console again. Genius thinking.
Tech illiterate Kuro here. Is there anything that handhelds do "differently" so that we don't have to worry about it holding the main console back or is this really just going to be like with the Series S but 100 times worse? Why have a powerful console in the first place then?

Tech illiterate Kuro here. Is there anything that handhelds do "differently" so that we don't have to worry about it holding the main console back or is this really just going to be like with the Series S but 100 times worse? Why have a powerful console in the first place then?
Not if they have them as two separate platforms rather than the situation with X/S. I can't believe they'd build a powerful home console to just tie it to a far less powerful handheld, that makes no sense.

Last edited:

Kurotri

Not if they have them as two separate platforms rather than the situation with X/S. I can't believe they'd build a powerful home console to just tie it to a far less powerful handheld, that makes no sense.
Right? I hoped that they would go with just 1 SKU after what they did with the Series consoles but this is even worse :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The only thing that makes sense is the handheld wont be tied down to the console. Similar to the steam deck. No one is required to support it but you can if you want. They'll probably allow it to do cloud gaming for everything else or remote play from your Xbox.

SHA

Jumping to conclusions for no f reason, I $ if Sony started the "2 skus" idea it'd turn to something innovative, remarkable, the genius cerny savior to Sony Playstation...etc

Guess what? Nintendo is the only innovative platform, xbox doesn't count, Playstation doesn't count.

SHA

All smiles, I know what it takes to fool this town
I'll do it 'til the sun goes down
And all through the nighttime
Oh, yeah
Oh, yeah, I'll tell you what you wanna hear
Leave my sunglasses on while I shed a tear
It's never the right time
Yeah, yeah
I put my armor on, show you how strong I am
I put my armor on, I'll show you that I am
I'm unstoppable
I'm a Porsche with no brakes
I'm invincible
Yeah, I win every single game
I'm so powerful
I don't need batteries to play
I'm so confident
Yeah, I'm unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
I'm unstoppable today
Break down, only alone I will cry out loud
You'll never see what's hiding out
Hiding out deep down
Yeah, yeah
I know, I've heard that to let your feelings show
Is the only way to make friendships grow
But I'm too afraid now
Yeah, yeah
I'm unstoppable
I'm invincible
I'm so powerful
I'm so confident
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
I'm unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
I'm unstoppable today
I'm unstoppable
I'm invincible
I'm so powerful
I'm so confident
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
I'm unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
I'm unstoppable today

Last edited:

SHA

Arm is not a bad idea, it's a new technology, new tech tells how to use it in real life, that's why it's called technology, Arm should be easily more capable than steam deck, if you don't think it's the case then you don't understand technology.

MarkMe2525

Maybe.... just maybe, one day we will learn to treat unsubstantiated reports for what they are.... noise. The problem with rumor is that even when some are true, there is no way to attribute accuracy until after the fact. In the meantime, countless hours are wasted making proclamations based on what amounts to speculation. Real discourse around these subjects are possible, but it requires the self awareness that the circumstances, in which this discourse is based on, can change at anytime.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

THIS, you can't be first party and third party at the same time
I'm sure this has already been addressed, but if you look at what it means to be 1st party (develop games for your own platform) and 3rd party (to develop games for others platform), then it's obvious that one can be 1st and 3rd party at the same time.

Bry0

And thus the new war will begin. SteamOS (Linux) vs Windows.
It had to happen. I’ve said before MS cannot ignore it, they’d be stupid to. Ignore that threat for too long then all of a sudden valve is spooning windows market share off your plate. Even if it’s a little sliver it tells pc gamers “you don’t NEED windows ya know”.

Exciting times, I’m loving it!

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
All smiles, I know what it takes to fool this town
I'll do it 'til the sun goes down
And all through the nighttime
Oh, yeah
Oh, yeah, I'll tell you what you wanna hear
Leave my sunglasses on while I shed a tear
It's never the right time
Yeah, yeah
I'm unstoppable
I'm invincible
I'm so powerful
I'm so confident
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
I'm unstoppable today
Break down, only alone I will cry out loud
You'll never see what's hiding out
Hiding out deep down
Yeah, yeah
I know, I've heard that to let your feelings show
Is the only way to make friendships grow
But I'm too afraid now
Yeah, yeah
I'm unstoppable
I'm invincible
I'm so powerful
I'm so confident
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
I'm unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
I'm unstoppable today
I'm unstoppable
I'm invincible
I'm so powerful
I'm so confident
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
I'm unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
Unstoppable today
I'm unstoppable today
Did Phil write this?

Last edited:

Bry0

I THINK you are close

My mind goes to the “corePC” project MS is working on for the next windows platform. I don’t see a reason why the “next” Xbox OS can’t be built upon this base, as it would finally bring this core OS alignment to windows that Apple has had for awhile and that MS has been trying to achieve with stuff like UWP since windows 8. We shall see.

https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...ows-corepc-modern-platform-hudson-valley-2024

Last edited:
I'm sure this has already been addressed, but if you look at what it means to be 1st party (develop games for your own platform) and 3rd party (to develop games for others platform), then it's obvious that one can be 1st and 3rd party at the same time.
You can. It just means inefficiencies.
Doing both means the 3rd party games would not be able to benefit the console, and the 1st party games would make less money than it could have.

Adding inefficiency into the system when you already come last in the console race doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom