• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Xbox is on track for 2026; features two SKUs including a Switch-like handheld, it's claimed

DrFigs

Yeah like some ppl said now MS will be competing with Valve and Nintendo.....along with still competing with Sony...... and Nintendo.

Jesus Christ this better work. And Sony better not be making a handheld.
I will give MS this, when they said they no longer viewed Playstation as a competitor because of Activision/Blizzard, I thought for sure they were lying.

Edit: i don't believe this rumor btw. Xbox making another 2 sku console in their current state?

Last edited:
A portable Xbox would be kind of nice as long as the games are enticing enough. But they keep going the route of least powerful AAA hardware and that’s not why I bought Xbox games in the past. We shall see what comes of this.

twilo99

Hopefully there's a market for powerful gaming handhelds, I can see them doing it for this generation with the Series S becoming a portable system with the next die shrink.

Portable makes a lot of sense but it needs to be done right.

Unknown?

By jump starting next gen early to avoid head to head with PS6 and venturing into a true Xbox branded handheld not tethered by WiFi is not trying their own thing?

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Jump starting early isn't anything new and what about "Switch-like dockable handheld" sounds unique to you?

A new Xbox generation of devices starting in 2026 signifies a complete and utter defeat. I wonder if Phil has learned anything from his numerous missteps?

Ok, so what console will offer Game Pass if not the new console? 25 millions subs. Why would they quit making a platform to use it on? I highly doubt Sony or Nintendo will allow Game Pass.

Just because Xbox is adding another revenue stream(Blue $nakes) doesn't mean an Xbox console/or handheld is useless.
This is what I was thinking, with a streaming only box years off (that would offer a comparable experience) Microsoft have only really one option to continue supplying Gamepass to its subscribers and that's a new console in whatever form that takes.

As it stands we are waiting on the official confirmation of what their strategy is going forward and until we get that info it's all just a guessing game.

I have zero faith that there's a unified consensus at the Xbox leadership that they have any idea on what path to even take right now. It basically sounds like a Tiamat fighting with itself.

Porticus

Xbox and Microsoft are such an anathema on gaming. The sooner they go third party and/or exit the business the better

Completely agree with you, they are basically playing like kids now with the father money, quite embarassing, how it is possible that the higher up are still there is simply mind blowing.

Spencer has a photo of Nutella somewhere, there's no other explanation.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This sounds even worse than Series S/X pair.

It's 3 times as worse as the Series S/X pairing. There's little upside like Nintendo is doing......and HUGE downsides. The price for what you get will be so huge, that I'm shocked MS would be this stupid to do it.

El Muerto

This makes sense. Microsoft has been working with AMD to create an ARM chip for the next Xbox. Windows has x86/x64 translation support to ARM already.

Roxkis_ii

It's already a bunch of windows handhelds, what would be the difference between them and what this is suppose to be? If has windows, it's going to suffer for the same reason all other windows handles do. If it has an Xbox os, then you don't get access to Steam, and have to rely on just Xbox games.

That's before we even get to the fact that outside of game pass, there doesn't seem like it's anything that makes the Xbox ecosystem attractive. As a non Xbox owner and person who prefers to buy games, I can't think of a reason to want an Xbox.

Xbox has a million and one studios and it's nothing from any of them that peeks my interest. I think maybe Xbox should work on that before trying to sell more hardware that's as likely going to be as successful as their current consoles, if not less.

Last edited:

Pelta88

False rumour. The R&D cost alone coupled with a shrinking audience makes this pure fantasy.

Nadella is asking for a return on investment and by "investment" he's not talking about profit. Not revenue.

BlackTron

Yeah your right it's not realistic for Microsoft to spend money on top of the line hardware that came out that same year more then likely it would be something similar to a 7840U

Or maybe they won't spend any money on hardware and will just license whatever other third party hardware. I don't even think they know internally at MS right now, they're all arguing over it

SteadyEvo

Good luck selling any of these after going third party....

LOL
What if they went 3rd until launch 2026. Wisely using this time to build Gamepass and their studios as viable options going forward. Maybe they’ll have enough momentum to successfully launch a new console while making Gamepass exclusive to Xbox.

That’s just me thinking positive 🤷‍♂️

They’re no longer competitive this gen and nothing will change that. Cut your losses and focus on the next console. Hopefully learning and improving.

Last edited:

dem

I do not understand that chunky ass 2 hour battery life pc handheld market...

But I thought the Steamdeck would sell like 200 devices... so what do I know.

Zheph

What if they went 3rd until launch 2026. Wisely using this time to build Gamepass and their studios as viable options going forward. Maybe they’ll have enough momentum to successfully launch a new console while making Gamepass exclusive to Xbox.

Gamepass is never gonna reach what they need it to be due to the nature of the media

They’re no longer competitive this gen and nothing will change that. Cut your losses and focus on the next console. Hopefully learning and improving.

Sony won't allow any of this... They will require a commitment from MS to allow their games on Playstation Store

Once they go third party, they can't go back to first party exclusive after 2 years...

LOL

Last edited:
portable xbox would be cool, but in 2026 it will only be approaching series s sort of power levels, when i would expect a new series x to be around 20-30TF.

00_Zer0

With the rumor of Sony doing something similar with PS6 I wouldn't be surprised if MS is considering something like this. By the time Sony and MS do something like this Switch 2 will have been on the market 2-3 years, and maybe Valve will have released a Steam Deck 2 by then. It will be interesting to see what Nintendo and Valve come up with after the market is saturated with handheld PC's, and ones released by Sony and MS.

4-5 years should be sufficient to keep the console hardware a bit more current because the cycle we are in now is simply too long and you end up with really old
Hardware towards the end of the cycle

That's why they introduced mid-gen hardware... For people that don't want to wait 8 years

Because of the third party decision, Xbox will sell fewer consoles next generation and even fewer the following generation.

Then Microsoft will announce that they are exiting the console market because they are a software company after all.

twilo99

And you really think BIG hardware upgrades are possible every 4 years in this day and age??? Considering AAA games take many years of development??

We are not in 1999 anymore

I don’t know if they are possible, but they are definitely the better option if you don’t want to be stuck with CPUs that are 4-5 generations behind for years..

Top Bottom