• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

NerdBird

Banned
So I bought a replacement analog stick for my gamecube controller, i think i bought a knock off from ebay despite the item being sold many other times with no bad feedback as far as I can see.

Yet I open my controller and the current analog stick and the new analog stick both have different indentations/insert holes, my 'legit' analog stick has a rounded rectangle shape with a square groove on the other end. my replacement stick is just a rounded rectangle!

I can't get the stick on! I might have to do some handiwork on this knock off to get it to work, but man thats annoying.

Either that or there are more than 1 model of gamecube controller? I have a launch model game cube and controller, the controller model is DOL-003, and the original GC has the AV/Component input, and my other gamecube doesnt have the component input and is also the same control model (DOL-003)... Hmmmmmm.....

Edit: I managed to get it on with utmost precise force as to not damage anywhere else on the controller while trying to balance the force of the weight I applied to it...phew...I am stingy about these things, every analog stick I've ever bought seems to be a knock off :p

prateeko

I checked my Pikmin (non-Player's Choice) and can confirm that it doesn't have the hole at the bottom. I also checked five of the sealed Gamecube games I have and I can say that from what I can see the bottom foldflaps match, if you're looking at the front of the case and tilt it to look at the bottom, the flaps on the outside of the packaging point / towards the cover. On the tops of my sealed games, the top flaps on the outside packaging pointed / towards the cover.

My sealed copy of Second Sight seems to have been very strangely factory sealed, and the top flaps at the top point / away from the cover and the bottom flaps meet at the middle and there's a line down the middle where the plastic is slightly separating

The kind of air bubble look between the flaps at the tops and bottoms seem to vary in appearance from the games I compared, and sometimes side where the game opens is perfectly smooth, and sometimes wrinkly. The two sealed games I had that were published by Nintendo had air bubbles that most resembled your Pikmin.

I wish I had my camera with me to show this. Do you happen to have a picture of the top or side where it opens? My two sealed Nintendo games more closely resemble each other in the way the factory seal flaps, etc. look than with the other third-party games, particularly from the top. If your first picture is of the top of the case, that's very much like my two games look from the top. Very smooth at the top and bottom edge, with a bubbly strip down the middle and where the bubbly middle strip faces the cover, it kinda curves in and out in what isn't a very straight line.

The first pic is from the top I believe. I cal reshoot pics but the bottom pics there are here in my post. I'm not sure if I follow when you say they point to the cover. You mean they point to the inside?

prateeko said:
Also, quick question for you guys regarding authenticity of factory seal (vs resealed Y-fold). I recently go this game and my gut instinct was that it was re-sealed, but then I found out Pikmin as a game did NOT have the little opening in the bottom. Can you guys tell by my pictures if this is factory/original sealed or not? I'm nearing the end of my return window with eBay.

qYAPM5F.jpg

5GG11eM.jpg

ukO4dnF.jpg

I0OD318.jpg[

d0hWRpW.jpg

EDIT:
Also, to mention, one of the reasons I bid on it is that it had a Player's Choice (Circle) sticker applied to the front, which made me think it was more likely to be legit since that was only added before the Yellow-Top coverart was released...

sphinx

the piano man
Oh my

Guys/gals, go to any local thrift store as often as possible

Why?

Well

4tlCxID.jpg

on the one side, that was one hell of a deal, easily 10 times what you paid for it, if ebay and amazon are to go by

on the other side, you are in for a world of pain and sorrow, game is fucking hard the first few chapters. after a while it gets than quite easy though.

Sakujou

Banned
About the flaps on sealed gc games, remember that some were so stickily glued that you couldnt get off all the shit down from your gamebox. Also remember when you get a really cheap game, some were used for display. I have a super strange completely faded out colours on my patapon box. I only realized this when i saw a friends box and checked it sgain online that the original colours are black and orange and not black and yellow.....

sphinx

the piano man
That's crazy.

Also, quick question for you guys regarding authenticity of factory seal (vs resealed Y-fold). I recently go this game and my gut instinct was that it was re-sealed

you will never be completely sure unless you unwrap the game and smell and feel the plastic.

if it's clear/pristine, it's new. it's very easy to tell whether a gamecase was touched by filthy human hands.

I remember I bought a "new" copy of beyond good and evil for gamecube on ebay, when I unwrapped, the gamecase was soooo busted, I was like... "is this for real? no shame whatsoever??".

At the time we buyers could get a negative feedback so I let it be for fear of retaliation and the disc had no scratches and everything else was fine.

But today I would have given at the very least a 3/5 rating. that was outright lying.

tesla246

That's crazy.

Also, quick question for you guys regarding authenticity of factory seal (vs resealed Y-fold). I recently go this game and my gut instinct was that it was re-sealed, but then I found out Pikmin as a game did NOT have the little opening in the bottom. Can you guys tell by my pictures if this is factory/original sealed or not? I'm nearing the end of my return window with eBay.

qYAPM5F.jpg

5GG11eM.jpg

ukO4dnF.jpg

I0OD318.jpg[

d0hWRpW.jpg

EDIT:
Also, to mention, one of the reasons I bid on it is that it had a Player's Choice (Circle) sticker applied to the front, which made me think it was more likely to be legit since that was only added before the Yellow-Top coverart was released...

For what its worth: I remember years back in 2009 or so buying Pikmin sealed as well. Upon arriving I instantly noticed the lack of the opening at the bottom of the case, and thought it was strange as well then noticed s a few other games in my collection which also lacked the hole. After that I opened the game to play it and didnt think much of it.

FE pickup reminds me of when I found Skies of Arcadia Legends for $3.75 at a Goodwill a few years back (before they wised up and started selling the non-junk games on ebay).

Oh my

Guys/gals, go to any local thrift store as often as possible

Why?

Well

4tlCxID.jpg

Damn you're so lucky, I spent $70 on my copy from Ebay... I really should go to thriftstores more often since Flea Markets usually have people selling games for ridiculously high prices.

NerdBird

Banned
Anyone got Pokemon Box: Ruby and Sapphire? Is there any use to make of it? I'm on the fence about picking it up, I've seen it on ebay for £30 and £40, which isn't too bad for a seemingly rare game.

Although, at that price for an expansion pack...I could get the GC Twilight Princess for an extra £10.......

I have the JPN version. It kinda sucks. It's region locked so it didn't support my US Emerald, but I did use it to get a couple of free pokemon using my wife's JPN Ruby and Sapphire cartridges.

Unless you're really intent on storing a ton of gen 3 pokemon it's mostly a novelty.

I read the OP but there wasn't anything like this there, so here's my question: is there something that I need to take care about the Cube, after years being stored without use? Anything that could harm it, like that thing in the OG Xbox that people had to change, otherwise it would fuck up the console?

Thanks in advance.

-KRS-

I read the OP but there wasn't anything like this there, so here's my question: is there something that I need to take care about the Cube, after years being stored without use? Anything that could harm it, like that thing in the OG Xbox that people had to change, otherwise it would fuck up the console?

Thanks in advance.

I can't imagine there would be any problems just taking it out and start using it. What exactly was the problem with the Xbox? Never heard of that.

NerdBird

Banned
Is it scratched? I have a copy of Twin Snakes in good condition, however the front of the disc 1 started to peel, and sometimes it crashes.

Figured that it's either the lens in older gamecube models or some of these games actually have common faults

hort22

Is it scratched? I have a copy of Twin Snakes in good condition, however the front of the disc 1 started to peel, and sometimes it crashes.

Figured that it's either the lens in older gamecube models or some of these games actually have common faults

Doesn't seem terrible...I've seen worse scratched that work...maybe I'll try the resurface its only a couple of bucks.

Mercutio

Doesn't seem terrible...I've seen worse scratched that work...maybe I'll try the resurface its only a couple of bucks.

If you hold it up to the light, do you see any holes in the data layer? I've not heard of disc rot on GC stuff, but that could be it...

I had to replace my Gamecube's lens when it was giving me DREs. It's like a $10 part so it might be cheaper getting a secondhand Gamecube that works instead.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, it's pretty much conclusive that the Wii version of RE4 is as good or better than the GC one, right? Not sure if there's any reason to have both...

Rich!

So, it's pretty much conclusive that the Wii version of RE4 is as good or better than the GC one, right? Not sure if there's any reason to have both...

It's better. It even has gamecube controller compatibility.

however, glorious 60fps ultimate PC edition is the best, especially with the fanmade high res texture pack that's being developed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757346

they've even managed to source the majority of the textures from the actual goddamn real life locations and objects they were originally taken from by capcom, scattered across spain. it's absolute insanity. for example:

yes. it's the same gate. they found it.

Anth0ny

Is it easy to get a GC controller working with RE4 PC via USB? I have this guy:

201206041210384409qoqwg.jpg

and I haven't had much luck getting it to work with PC games...

Refuse to play RE4 with anything other than a GC controller.

heyf00L

Just go back from visiting my parents and brought back some valuables of mine stored in their attic.

b1SABpr.jpg

No case for Zelda Collector's Edition.

I'm planning to sell them -- if I can bear to part with them -- and get a Wii U.

As Dolphin-capable computers get more prevalent, I wonder if some of these things will maintain their value.

heyf00L

Yeah, those Higan-capable computers are doing a real number on SNES prices...

What would snes prices be without emulators tho? The reason I'm willing to part with this stuff now is that I can play my games on my new PC at 1080p, and it's only getting better. And I own ocarina and MM on Virtual Console.

But do people think the prices on this stuff will keep going up? I'm mostly talking about these hardware accessories, not the games.

Still waiting on grabbing a 50hz monitor (pvm probably) to be able to play Doshin the Giant haha.

Just go back from visiting my parents and brought back some valuables of mine stored in their attic.

b1SABpr.jpg

No case for Zelda Collector's Edition.

I'm planning to sell them -- if I can bear to part with them -- and get a Wii U.

As Dolphin-capable computers get more prevalent, I wonder if some of these things will maintain their value.

Of course it'll maintain its value because people still prefer hardware. Personally I will always stick to hardware, but if I wanted to go the dolphin route I would probably have to shell out 6 grand for a computer that'll probably be adequate for 2 years to get dolphin running at 1080p60fps.

heyf00L

Still waiting on grabbing a 50hz monitor (pvm probably) to be able to play Doshin the Giant haha.

Of course it'll maintain its value because people still prefer hardware. Personally I will always stick to hardware, but if I wanted to go the dolphin route I would probably have to shell out 6 grand for a computer that'll probably be adequate for 2 years to get dolphin running at 1080p60fps.

You don't know much about computers then. Mine cost $700, and I recently used it to finish Galaxy 2 at 1080p60fps (transferred save from Wii even). It looks much better than the real hardware could ever do no matter what cables you use.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Until PC hardware is capable enough for a cycle accurate GC/Wii emulator (which is a long way away, where we're going we need graphene) there will always be a place for original hardware. Dolphin is great, but it's not perfect.

Peagles

Yeh, it'll be ages before we have cycle perfect Gamecube/Wii emulation. I guess it's fine right now for those who don't mind the inaccuracies and hiccups as a trade off for better image quality, but I personally prefer the real hardware.

There's 3 PCs in this house that are more than capable of running Dolphin, but aside from testing it out for an hour or two we have barely used it. The PAL GC hooked up to the PVM via RGB SCART and the NTSC GC hooked up to the Panny Plasma via component get quite a bit of use, however.

Sakujou

Banned
So...Cubivore. Is it actually any good? I'm in the UK, and as such have never played it. I know it has a cult following, but is it warranted?
Also interested in that. Is it worth?

Star fox assault and geist are other games i would liek to buy next to skies of arcadia which is so hardcore expensive :(

Seik

Banned
Also interested in that. Is it worth?

Star fox assault and geist are other games i would liek to buy next to skies of arcadia which is so hardcore expensive :(

I enjoyed Star Fox Assault more than I expected, but you need to get the idea of 'classic Star Fox' out of your head before playing.

It has Arwing sections, but not enough to me. Like I said though, there a lot of enjoyment to be obtained out of it, you just have to play it in the correct mindset.

Unlike Adventures, which will just squishes all your dreams for a good SF game. The only good mindset you can have while playing Adventure is ''I don't want to play Star Fox.''. :(

NerdBird

Banned
Ok, I'm getting pretty confused now, I've bought replacement analog sticks from a couple ebay sellers and the shape of the hole where the stick fits onto the controller is totally wrong. I'm overreacting at the moment but i'm just very curious, all of my gamecube controllers have this shape:

24814.JPG

not sure if you can see it..it's the best image i could find, but the hole is shaped like a shield with a groove/square on top

I would take pictures of my own but my phone is playing up as of writing

and I keep receiving these:

gamecube_analog_cap_1.jpg

an oval/circular like shape

the sticks are also about a few mm taller.

I just don't want to damage my controller because i forced one of them on, what if i have to replace that in the future, have I bummed myself out?

Anyway, i'm just wondering if there are models with different analog sticks, or if the market is just full of knock off analog sticks now...

I've also seen people mod their controller by sticking CCP sticks on it from the Wii, do they have the same indent as what I have or are they also knock offs with the wrong shape?

CPP sticks have the same shape inside but are a bit taller so they're nice to have on GameCube controllers. I did this for a bit to mine but the GameCube sticks don't work well on the Classic Controller so I switched it back.

Rich!

I've also seen people mod their controller by sticking CCP sticks on it from the Wii, do they have the same indent as what I have or are they also knock offs with the wrong shape?

this is mine:

and my other one:

just used the sticks from a classic controller pro. they're exactly the right size and fitting. the ones you got seem to be the wrong fitting for some bizarre reason.

ALL official sticks on the Gamecube, Wii Classic Controller, Nunchuck, Classic Controller Pro and the Wii U Gamepad and Pro Controller have the same fitting sticks and are fully interchangeable. do that.

or just get a shitty old gamecube controller from ebay and use the left stick from that.

prateeko

Which game do you guys think most benefits from component cables? I've got the Cube and cables I bought a couple years ago (to replace my stolen stuff *tear) and I realize I really haven't put it to great use.

Rich!

Which game do you guys think most benefits from component cables? I've got the Cube and cables I bought a couple years ago (to replace my stolen stuff *tear) and I realize I really haven't put it to great use.

ones with lots of colours and nice contrast.

TheMoon

F-Zero GX

The Rogue Squadron games.

Paper Mario

prateeko

It sucks that Skies of Arcadia does not support 480p. I love that game and was 30-40 hours in before my save file "mysteriously" disappeared but somehow my brother's files were fine ಠ_ಠ

Rich!

It sucks that Skies of Arcadia does not support 480p. I love that game and was 30-40 hours in before my save file "mysteriously" disappeared but somehow my brother's files were fine ಠ_ಠ

heh, you can play it in 480p - use homebrew. swiss can force it to run in 480p. Nintendon't on the Wii and Wii U can also force it to run in 480p

prateeko

Well hot damn, I have a GBP on this thing AND the Hori controllers. I'll buy the US equivalent but is there a difference between this and this other model other than the included memmory? And what's the utility of the action replay?

As far as the software I need to force 480p (and 240p with my GBP), where is it or what is it called?

Rich!

Well hot damn, I have a GBP on this thing AND the Hori controllers. I'll buy the US equivalent but is there a difference between this and this other model other than the included memmory? And what's the utility of the action replay?

As far as the software I need to force 480p (and 240p with my GBP), where is it or what is it called?

afaik there is no difference between the two sd card launchers. get the US one.

it's a bit pricier than the one over here in the UK, but it's worth it if you want to get the most out of your Gamecube. For example, courtesy of Peagles earlier in the thread - this is what GB Player looks via 240p forced with Swiss:

its beautiful

Top Bottom