• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

maxcriden

This is probably a really silly question, but I am just astounded at how good my PS2 games look on my new component cable, on an HDTV. I play GCN games on my Wii, which I think uses composite cables. Is there a component cable I should get for my Wii, and if so will it enhance the visual quality of my GCN games when played on the Wii? Thank you!

This is probably a really silly question, but I am just astounded at how good my PS2 games look on my new component cable, on an HDTV. I play GCN games on my Wii, which I think uses composite cables. Is there a component cable I should get for my Wii, and if so will it enhance the visual quality of my GCN games when played on the Wii? Thank you!

Yes. The GCN games that support progressive scan on GCN will support progressive scan when played on Wii. Even for titles that don't do 480p, you'll still be able to take advantage of the added color separation that component video provides.

maxcriden

Yes. The GCN games that support progressive scan on GCN will support progressive scan when played on Wii. Even for titles that don't do 480p, you'll still be able to take advantage of the added color separation that component video provides.

Thanks SB. I knew you'd know!

Are the Wii component cables cheaper than the GCN ones? (Are they not as good as the GCN ones? I know those had a special terrisus-approved chip in them.)

n64coder

Are the Wii component cables cheaper than the GCN ones? (Are they not as good as the GCN ones? I know those had a special terrisus-approved chip in them.)

Yes, they're much cheaper. I bought my 2 GC cables a few years ago for around $70. They now go for $150+.

Some people do notice that the GC component image is superior to the Wii component image for GC games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wii component cables are also available from third parties since they don't have hardware in the cable itself, so you can find them pretty cheap. Being an analog cable, quality does matter a bit more than something like HDMI, but I'm sure there are decent ones other than the (usually more expensive) first party ones.

terrisus

Thanks SB. I knew you'd know!

<3

They're not as good if only because you can't use the GBA Player on the Wii :þ

maxcriden

Thanks, all. I'm all for even slightly improved GCN visuals on my Wii at the low cost of $5 or so for a Wii component cable on Amazon versus many multiples of that dollar amount to buy the GCN ones, even if they are even better.

As for Wii games, I currently play them via Wii U backwards compatibility, which has an HDMI out. Would they look any better via Wii component cables, or am I best off sticking with the HDMI? Thanks!

Jamix012

Thanks, all. I'm all for even slightly improved GCN visuals on my Wii at the low cost of $5 or so for a Wii component cable on Amazon versus many multiples of that dollar amount to buy the GCN ones, even if they are even better.

As for Wii games, I currently play them via Wii U backwards compatibility, which has an HDMI out. Would they look any better via Wii component cables, or am I best off sticking with the HDMI? Thanks!

Some people claim there's ringing on HDMI, but frankly I think they're only noticing some detail that was just less clear on component. No, HDMI is significantly better than component.

maxcriden

Some people claim there's ringing on HDMI, but frankly I think they're only noticing some detail that was just less clear on component. No, HDMI is significantly better than component.

Sounds good to me. Thank you, Jamix!

BTW, all this cord madness probably means I'll be on the hunt for under-appreciated GCN gems more readily, so if anyone wants to recommend some, please feel free.

Jamix012

Sounds good to me. Thank you, Jamix!

BTW, all this cord madness probably means I'll be on the hunt for under-appreciated GCN gems more readily, so if anyone wants to recommend some, please feel free.

Prices are pretty nuts, but there's definitely some affordable gems out there. All the ones listed below are under $20.

Viewtiful Joe is an all time classic and the sequel is also very competent. Definitely worth it if you've ever enjoyed a Platinum game.

F Zero GX is probably my favourite racing game of all time. Be warned though, it's incredibly unforgiving and challenging.

Billy Hatcher is a unique Sonic Team 3D platformer. Not without its flaws and definitely not loved by everyone, but for its price, I'd say it's worth a look.

Soul Calibur 2. The GC Version has Link! Also it's a very good weapon based fighting game. Probably my favourite in the genre.

Starfox Assault. I'd say its a BIG step down from SF64, but is definitely worth checking out if you like the series.

StarWars: Rogue Squadron 3. I haven't played the 2nd game, which is widely considered the better one but...Really? Using in-game cheat codes this is 5 games in one. You get access to the 3 old Starwars arcade games on the disc and this includes Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 on the disc! (yes this version of SW:RS2 is only co op, but still!)

Super Monkey Ball. Fantastic Party game and for those who like monkeys in balls.

Wario Ware: Mega Party Games. Fantastic party game!....Kind of mediocre single player game. The GBA version is better for single player.

n64coder

Paper Mario Thousand Year Door is a great game to play if you like RPG with a funny story line. That is my all time favorite GC game.

maxcriden

Prices are pretty nuts, but there's definitely some affordable gems out there. All the ones listed below are under $20.

Viewtiful Joe is an all time classic and the sequel is also very competent. Definitely worth it if you've ever enjoyed a Platinum game.

F Zero GX is probably my favourite racing game of all time. Be warned though, it's incredibly unforgiving and challenging.

Billy Hatcher is a unique Sonic Team 3D platformer. Not without its flaws and definitely not loved by everyone, but for its price, I'd say it's worth a look.

Soul Calibur 2. The GC Version has Link! Also it's a very good weapon based fighting game. Probably my favourite in the genre.

Starfox Assault. I'd say its a BIG step down from SF64, but is definitely worth checking out if you like the series.

StarWars: Rogue Squadron 3. I haven't played the 2nd game, which is widely considered the better one but...Really? Using in-game cheat codes this is 5 games in one. You get access to the 3 old Starwars arcade games on the disc and this includes Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 on the disc! (yes this version of SW:RS2 is only co op, but still!)

Super Monkey Ball. Fantastic Party game and for those who like monkeys in balls.

Wario Ware: Mega Party Games. Fantastic party game!....Kind of mediocre single player game. The GBA version is better for single player.

Thanks! Most of those I'm pretty familiar with. Viewtiful Joe I'd like to check out as I think I've only played the demo. Billy Hatcher--same thing, I think, although I'm not sure if I even tried the demo of that one. I know it was on the same disc as Viewtiful Joe. I'd like to check it out, though.

Paper Mario Thousand Year Door is a great game to play if you like RPG with a funny story line. That is my all time favorite GC game.

I haven't played it in years--and never beat it, I don't think--but I've got a copy and am psyched to play it.

Teknoman

F-Zero GX has the best options music in racing. Seriously, its like something right out of Phantasy Star Online.

Glad they somewhat continued that tradition with the Mario Kart online menus, but this is still top tier stuff.

maxcriden

F-Zero GX has the best options music in racing. Seriously, its like something right out of Phantasy Star Online.

Glad they somewhat continued that tradition with the Mario Kart online menus, but this is still top tier stuff.

Sweet. Good menu music is really under-appreciated.

My games are packed away right now but I'll be getting them out again soon, very keen to post up my pickups since the last time I posted my collection.

Jamix012

Thanks! Most of those I'm pretty familiar with. Viewtiful Joe I'd like to check out as I think I've only played the demo. Billy Hatcher--same thing, I think, although I'm not sure if I even tried the demo of that one. I know it was on the same disc as Viewtiful Joe. I'd like to check it out, though.

If you want somewhat more obscure, but still good, recommendations I can provide those too. Be warned, these are not necessarily cheap.

Odama - Requires the Gamecube Microphone. One of Gamecube's more unique titles and probably the cheapest title on this list, it is part pinball game part real time strategy. This game is so bizarre it's definitely worth checking out for it's price. It's a bit lacking in content and is pretty damn difficult, but after my rage at the difficulty (and the fact it mocks you for losing) had subsided, I had a weird smile on my face.

Bomberman Generation - Overlooked sequel to Bomberman hero. Has classic Bomberman multiplayer packed in too. Exclusive to the 'cube.

Lost Kingdoms - EH. I'm not the biggest fan of this game, but it's definitely intriguing. Its a card based action RPG...That's the best way I can describe it. The story seems thrown together at last minute but the combat is interesting for sure. The first game in the 2 part Gamecube-only duology is cheap and also the only one I've played. They're apparantly short, so I'll get around to the more expensive (and supposedly better) 2nd game at some point. I only really recommend this as an oddity, though I know some people like it.

Baten Kaitos Origins
- I feel like in the past year or so the Baten Kaitos Duology has got the renown it deserves because it's a Monolith Soft Game. I love the first game, but I acknowledge that it's overly cheesy dialogue and cliche plot aren't for everyone. Not to mention I know some people found the battle system somewhat stale halfway through. I'd still recommend it, but definitely only for certain people. Origins on the other hand is one of the great RPGs of the generation. The battle system is unique and sublime, the story is interesting and heartbreaking and the pre rendered backgrounds are still beautiful to look at to this day.
You CAN play this game before the 1st in the series because it's a prequel and if you have no interest in the other game, go ahead and do just that. I'd argue though, that the game is best played after the first one (you're not missing too much though) so if you have even a slight interest in the series, grab both and play them in that order.

Cubivore - Another unique cube title. Truly? Not worth the price it goes for, but it is a decent, if not repetitive, game. I could write more up about it if you're interested, but I guess I see it as more of a collection piece than something actually worth buying just to play it.

Ikaruga - Not really obscure but...If you only play one shoot 'em up in your entire life make sure it's this one. I'm not all that amazing at shmups, but this is a classic. In a weird way I think much of this game as I do F Zero GX. Yes they're completely different genres but they're both games that reward you heavily for high skill play and give the same type of satisfaction when you overcome a challenge. Not super cheap, but the best way to play a physical copy of this game in on the 'cube. XBLA has a digital version if you don't mind not having the physical disc.

Imports

There are a couple of imports worth mentioning. To play these, get homebrew on your Wii or a modded cube OR an action replay/freeloader disc for your cube.

Dream Mix TV World Fighters - An interesting Smash-clone. Unlike Playstation all stars which tried to be more complex than smash, this tries to be a whole lot more simple. Fewer moves and a pretty straight forward way to win, it's definitely pretty cool. Features some of the most awesome characters ever. Try pitting Optimus Prime against Solid Snake in any other game.

Hudson Selections - A collection of 4 polygonal remakes of Hudson games including Bonk and Star Soldier. If that's your thing, they're pretty cool.

Doshin the Giant - Giant simulator. You play the local friendly giant and help out the island locals...or destroy them, whatever floats your boat. It's pretty repetitive but I found it to be a bit of fun, especially when I had my girlfriend laughing at all the stupid things that happen in the game.

Speed Challenge: Jacque Villaneuve's Racing Vision
- Keep in mind if you get this or the PAL version of Doshin, you're gonna need a TV that supports PAL resolution or someway to force them to a different resolution. This is a pretty interesting racing game. It controls kind of funny, but once you get used to it there's a lot of interesting quirks to this game.

jholmes

Figured this might as well be where I ask, as this seems where those with knowledge of such things are found.

Way back when I did something that busted up my WaveBird. I don't know what exactly. I was playing the original Legend of Zelda and got annoyed and whipped it at the ground, which I fully acknowledge lo these many years later was a dumb thing to do. It stopped working then, although this would've been around 2006 so it was at any rate after some serious years of use. I couldn't bear to part with the thing and with the Wii U GameCube adapter on the way I decided to test it out again. With batteries in the power light does turn on, but I can't register any input on it. I tried switching both the controller and the receiver to every number on the dial, and even tried testing every channel mismatch, just in case somehow that got thrown off.

Is there anything I can do here?

http://uk.codejunkies.com/products/gcnwii-sd-media-launcher__ef000580.aspx

you need the SD Media Launcher and an SD card. from there on, it's a matter of just getting the right software on the card.

in addition to forcing 480p (and glorious 240p on the game boy player), you can also use emulators and play SNES/NES/GBC/Sega on it.

Awesome. Will get one of these.

That's nice.

maxcriden

If you want somewhat more obscure, but still good, recommendations I can provide those too. Be warned, these are not necessarily cheap.

Jamix, thank you for your extremely thoughtful and detailed recommendations! I do have Ikaruga and haven't played it yet, and I will be mindful of your other recommendations when I'm next looking to pick up some games. Thanks man!

tesla246

Finally done with my paintjob and wanted to share it with you guys!
A few years back I stumbled upon a youtube video showing of a glossy cube and allthough I generally dislike glossy products I decided to do my own.

Glossy black gamecube.
DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

Glossy white gamecube, because, why the hell not?! :p
DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

So glad they are done. Required the utmost precision with sanding, and an unhealthy amount of patience. Would not have started this project if I knew what I was getting myself into. Photos hide some imperfections and there are still very tiny scratches in a few spots that I need to polish out, but in the end, quite happy with the results. The black one also needs to be cleaned still, especially the vents, and also need to glue the stickers firmly back on for all 5.

The following 3 cubes I decided to paint in between, and are all matte, so no wet-sanding, clear cote, and polishing or anything like that thankfully :lol: . Colours are blue, green and red

Blue cube:
DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Green cube:
DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019_1.jpg

Red cube:
DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Lastly, the grey I have used sadly doesn't quite match the original, but it came as close as I thought I could with RAL colour-index. However, I think the end result looks quite nice and the lighter grey gives it a nice contrast with the red/blue/green cubes.

D.Lo

They look fantastic!

Love glossy black and red.

Once upon a time I had a green GCN, it was a PAL debug unit. I sold it on eBay for a decent chunk of change, but it would likely be worth more today!

tesla246

Thanks for the kind words you guys. My favourite of the bunch is also red. The yellow Lighting of my lamp however makes them look a bit darker in these pictures as opposed to in real life, especially blue is just that little bit brighter.
Once upon a time I had a green GCN, it was a PAL debug unit. I sold it on eBay for a decent chunk of change, but it would likely be worth more today!
Ah, would love to have that just as much as I would love to have a Panasonic Q. Werent there two developer systems? a red one and a green/blue one? like a N-reader if i remember correctly, which was card based.

I actually like the GCN a lot more than the PS2 or Xbox.

The Gamecube is my favorite console of all time, and I've owned every major console back to the 2600. Still do, actually.

The PS2 library is amazing, and the Xbox was pretty good, too. I have over 100 Gamecube games, almost 100 PS2 games, and maybe 50 Xbox games. That generation is the best one we've ever had, in my opinion, and it looks like it'll hold that title forever at this point.

I am reading someone on Krizz's forum saying they got audio streaming titles to play fine on the Gamecube using a hard wired Wiikey Fusion. Everywhere else I read states Wii Key Fusion has problems with the audio on audio streaming games. Anyone know?

Grizzo

My last purchase:

I remember beating that game quite a few times with friends on Playstation when I was a kid, but I never played it all by myself (or on the Gamecube), so we'll see how it goes. Should be fun. It is a good game after all.

Top Bottom