• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo NX Mock-up thread. Post yours here!

TheMink

Welcome to handheld gaming. That said there still space for a second stick on the right side, but if we're talking of controllers for gaming on the go they could easily go for a 3ds like setup

DO IT AGAIN GODDAMMIT

Seriously though I'm not sure what your point is.

? Mine is way better, less prone to breaking or losing parts and actually include 2 fully usable controllers like EG said. OP is amazing to look at but like all other mockups it doesn't have the two fully functional controllers that apparently are there and detach from the sides, plus way too many parts that confuse the average user

It's not really a contest. I'm proud of mine, but I want to see how others are interpreting these rumors. I may make an alternate design that uses actual detachable controllers, but my idea for it is not conventional by any means. It would be more of a tablet that the controllers simply attach to when they aren't in use. It wouldn't act as a handheld in the traditional sense and could only be played when propped up. It's the only way I can visualize that concept actually working comfortably.

As for the "parts" thing, I visualize the box containing the base station, slate and controller all connected together. In truth it's only five total parts, but consumers will only see three when they open the box. Also, good marketing would be a must for my concept to be a success, no question.

Where's my goddamn Ethernet port, OP.

? Mine is way better, less prone to breaking or losing parts and actually include 2 fully usable controllers like EG said. OP is amazing to look at but like all other mockups it doesn't have the two fully functional controllers that apparently are there and detach from the sides, plus way too many parts that confuse the average user

Don't forget that the new Zelda needs to be playable on that, so yours is missing buttons.

Make one that dont account for the 2 controllers to be used individually.

You need to put tags around it like

And water mark so it's not ripped off/spread around with others claiming credit or sites running it off as official in their attempts of clickbait.

I considered it, but I was trying to think like Nintendo when I designed it. You know they won't justify the additional 75 cents per unit to add it in there. They'll continue to push the USB Ethernet adapter. :p

Well then there's no reason for me to get the dock at all, I'll just stay on handheld mode forever. A home console without ethernet is useless to me, benched my Wii U because of that.

tr1p1ex

Someone show how the screen snaps into VR goggles and the controllers become wands.

If Nintendo doesn't do VR this gen then the design will surely be ready for VR by next gen.

G.ZZZ

It's not really a contest. I'm proud of mine, but I want to see how others are interpreting these rumors. I may make an alternate design that uses actual detachable controllers, but my idea for it is not conventional by any means. It would be more of a tablet that the controllers simply attach to when they aren't in use. It wouldn't act as a handheld in the traditional sense and could only be played when propped up. It's the only way I can visualize that concept actually working comfortably.

As for the "parts" thing, I visualize the box containing the base station, slate and controller all connected together. In truth it's only five total parts, but consumers will only see three when they open the box. Also, good marketing would be a must for my concept to be a success, no question.

It was a joke dude. The 2 full detachable controllers rumor is giving me nightmares

Falchion

I like that design, I just don't know how I feel about the collapsed controller when it's docked. Seems so small.

NeoRausch

https://youtu.be/yXn8VuC7QIU

Here are some possible logo/controller configurations I came up with. It's been really cool by the way, seeing everyone's efforts. From the very funny to the "potentially close". Good work!

That walk in...
Most parts of this video seem to be pretty.... Amateurish. But I've gotta give him the Logo part at the beginning. Beside the fact that it obviously isn't going to be called NX... Or Fusion. Which he points out himself.

I'm gonna see myself out

Edit:
Wait, that's your own video? You got my click and my axe!

I like that design, I just don't know how I feel about the collapsed controller when it's docked. Seems so small.

A good way to visualize it is to compare it with the screen, which is roughly the same size as the one on the Wii U game pad. It's actually about as wide as it, which is only slightly less wide than a traditional controller.

Paul Gale

That walk in...
Most parts of this video seem to be pretty.... Amateurish. But I've gotta give him the Logo part at the beginning. Beside the fact that it obviously isn't going to be called NX... Or Fusion. Which he points out himself.

I'm gonna see myself out

Edit:
Wait, that's your own video? You got my click and my axe!

Yeah I made the video several months ago, of course before the idea that came up recently that the system may in fact be a pure handheld, that could then be docked...but some of the ideas here could still work.

With the new rumors (which are likely more fact than fiction now), if I were to make a new design/video, I'd definitely edit a few things. It still was pretty fun to make though.

One thing I forgot to mention in the video was that when you flip the NX Infinite logo, it becomes an hour glass. Think of that as a loading screen in which pixels (instead of sand) fall from the top to the bottom, etc.

Whaddya think of that? And thanks for watching too!

https://youtu.be/yXn8VuC7QIU

First of all, I couldn't figure a way to incorporate detachable, working controllers into it, so I opted for a tablet---which I refer to as a slate---model with detachable controller pieces that can connect to a "controller core." This creates a single, fully functioning controller that can sync up to the docking station that connects the slate to the television. The idea was that all features like gyro controls, the battery, the NFC and wireless functionality would be in a single unit, so the right and left controller pieces only contained the buttons, sticks, scroll wheels and rumble motors, which are powered by the core. This seemed like the most cost effective way to do this, as additional controllers, containing the core, left and right pieces, could be sold separately as a single unit for about the same price as other controllers on the market.
Exellent effort and drawing skills, specially for paint.

Seems you didn't give enough consideration to the control design here, specially the Core aspect. Various things that doesn't make sense design wise.

• In your design the controller is splitted for no meaningful application. For example, no multiplayer interaction out of the box and no Free Degrees of Freedom motion control (Wii like).
  • Added complexity by requiring the core unit.
  • You are still requiring duplicate IMUs for both the core and the Tablet, when those could be inside the 2 controller pieces in the first place.

In that sense, the portable with buttons and a pack in a normal controller would function exactly the same with the downside been some extra costs but the upsides would be a more reliable device and more confortable to use.

G.ZZZ

Me too. My fear is that Nintendo will make something that is just plain awkward to use.

If it's just 1 controller btw there's no way it 's not a clamshell design with two separate halves, sorta like 3ds xl but withouth the lower screen. It protect the screen and give maximum portability

Plum

Here's a mockup I created for this concept, taking some creative liberties with it. This is with a 5" screen. It is a little slimmer and less tall than a 3DS, but wider with the controllers attached.

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

My opinions on this idea:

-The controllers aren't detachable so that two people can play with them, that's silly. They're detachable because it makes this the perfect competitor to phones which really only suck because they don't have proper controls, in which case it can be sold to young people buying their first phone which is where Nintendo's handheld market is currently being gouged out. The idea that it's "too hard", and Nintendo should abandon their biggest market to go after the saturated home console market mid-cycle is ridiculous. You want something hard? Try selling a $400 console to people who already own one. Meanwhile we're not going to run out of teenagers buying their first phones anytime soon and that could be a huge market for Nintendo.

-With the controllers detachable, this could be one of the best VR solutions out there if sold with a Galaxy Gear-like headset and maybe a motion tracking device, because you could take the controller bits off, place the device into the headset and use the motion controls from those two controllers similar to Vive's or Oculus'.

This is still my absolute favorite mock-up I've seen. It just looks so damn good. The only difference I'd make is emphasize it more as a tablet to avoid people confusing it with a phone. Of course Nintendo's mobile games should be supported but outside of the token media apps it shouldn't have a Google Play/App Store type of shop.

Exellent effort and drawing skills, specially for paint.

Seems you didn't give enough consideration to the control design here, specially the Core aspect. Various things that doesn't make sense design wise.

• In your design the controller is splitted for no meaningful application. For example, no multiplayer interaction out of the box and no Free Degrees of Freedom motion control (Wii like).
  • Added complexity by requiring the core unit.
  • You are still requiring duplicate IMUs for both the core and the Tablet, when those could be inside the 2 controller pieces in the first place.

In that sense, the portable with buttons and a pack in a normal controller would function exactly the same with the downside been some extra costs but the upsides would be a more reliable device and more confortable to use.

• Well, I can see your point for sure. I was designing this with the rumors in mind though. It would make the most sense to just have a clam shell design where the bottom comes off and acts as a separate controller.

I like the idea of the hub holding the system up like that. Reminds me of the New 3DS charging doc.

Thanks. I threw that together in a couple minutes, and the more I look at it I am not so sure about the second screen going to waste like that. I left the two screens in as a legacy thing with the 3DS and the prospect of ported Wii-U games. Though now that I think about it, it should be one large screen. Also, the rumors state that the gamepad has two detachable parts, which I ignored. But I do have a feeling that the base of the handheld component of the machine will dock to an external device that is plugged into the TV. Though I am not sure how this will all work together.

This is still my absolute favorite mock-up I've seen. It just looks so damn good. The only difference I'd make is emphasize it more as a tablet to avoid people confusing it with a phone. Of course Nintendo's mobile games should be supported but outside of the token media apps it shouldn't have a Google Play/App Store type of shop.

I really like this one as well. It actually seems comfortable, but I still wonder how the controllers stay on, especially during play.

Plum

I really like this one as well. It actually seems comfortable, but I still wonder how the controllers stay on, especially during play.

I remember seeing a mock-up where the controllers slide in instead of slot in. But other than that there are a lot of ways to easily lock in something, and if this is close to what the NX actually is I think Nintendo will make sure it's high-quality.

Hmm, how about putting the scroll wheel where the trigger is, so instead of it poking out of the edge it's hidden under the top layer, and mounted & exposed centrally instead of on a corner. Second trigger could be replaced with grip triggers ala Vive controller, assuming it's deep enough.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It just dawned at me that if NX turns up something like this concept, it's essentially an admission that the screen in the Wii U controller was so useless that they'd rather rip it out to do nothing at all, than have it in your hands in the living room.

There's nothing to say it wouldn't work like the Wii U style at all. Who's to say there's zero possibility that it work like the Wii U gamepad when it is in portable form?

what-ok

The only issue I feel is having all these separate parts to manage. I bet many kids will misplace them and what do you do with them when they aren't attached per say? Doesn't seem as integrated as something you would expect in 2016.

The only issue I feel is having all these separate parts to manage. I bet many kids will misplace them and what do you do with them when they aren't attached per say? Doesn't seem as integrated as something you would expect in 2016.

I kind of agree, but my thinking was that the parts would be readily available to purchase if they need replacing. They'd all be included when buying additional controllers as well. If you were to lose the slate, that would be the same as losing a phone or tablet, where I'm sure that has been an issue for some people.

Well, I can see your point for sure. I was designing this with the rumors in mind though. It would make the most sense to just have a clam shell design where the bottom comes off and acts as a separate controller.
But wouldn't this create another set of problems while not gaining much from detaching the controller again?

Clamshell with the bottom part housing the controllers. Since the screen would go to the dock when detached that means the gross majority of the handheld components would need to be in the upper part along with the screen. This would affect comfort when gaming in handheld mode since the weight would be distributed in the top part.

Might as well dock the entire handheld instead and play with and included normal controller.

i think what's important here are the concepts, getting so concerned with minute details such as how exactly the attach mechanism works might be a waste of time when we still yet to see a groundbraking solution in the first place. When someone comes with "IT" then we could start arguing about exact engineering.

MDave

Nintendo have never used glass in any of their devices before, have they? Most likely because of it potentially shattering and cutting kids fingers. They have always used shatter proof materials, something to consider with these designs.

This leads me to question on to what sort of touch screen will we get. Resistive again? Probably required if they are indeed porting Mario Maker to the NX, or its sequel. How well has Mario Maker done sales wise?

EDIT: According to Nintendo: As of June 2016 its sold 3.65 million worldwide. Not bad!

Mista Koo

OP I like your concept, except for the standalone controller. Why would you make it a square when you can make it look like an actual controller? Something like this:

Code:
#LEFT ##CONNECTOR## RIGHT
#LEFT ##CONNECTOR## RIGHT
#LEFT ##C       R## RIGHT
#LEFT #           # RIGHT

ChrisRo's concept is pretty great too.

This is my mock-up.

nxtablet2.png

nxinferiormockup.png

[With triggers in the back]
Add in speakers to the top part and this is exactly my concept!

There needs to be a way of connecting the controller that's both secure and elegant. Robfox64's should work OK but I don't really like the exposed connector and plastic flap on the control unit.
The basic central screenless shell is a fine idea that, if Nintendo don't do it, a third party will, so we'll probably see something them offer something like that, maybe even with a touch pad in the middle.
But I think the ability to recombine them shouldn't be the main point, otherwise it should just be a single control unit with detachable clamshell layout like any laptop-tablet hybrid.

G.ZZZ

The biggest issue to me is this: this is gonna be huge or the two controllers don't make sense. Two controllers to be usable and house all of the buttons it needs to play zelda, for example, need to be at least 4.5"+ inches long and couple of inches wide.

Try adding those to a 5" screen tablet form. One of those controllers is already like half of the surface area. Add two and you get something absurd. Plus add the need for triggers and simmetry and you get a recipe for disaster. On the other hand, 2 controllers at the side are probably so that when you grip, you fix the things more in the screen, whereas a controller attached from below for example, would have the center of mass easily sliding out from it. I mantain that for two fully functional controllers to make sense you need a design with insertable controllers where half or more of the controller fix itself inside the casing of the screen (which would need to be 1" or so thick) like a cart in a 3DS. This however make for shitty analog sticks sorta like the 3ds. This also make for the least moving/attaching parts possible and give sturdiness to the thing.

Jackano

kaZldH5.jpg

Hope you all like it and I look forward to seeing yours!

Finally I see someone putting an extra controller part, I think this is the missing piece (literally).
Although purely on the aesthetics, your design is very blocky, Iphone-like. I think the hybrid will be more gamepad-like than 3DS-like.

The biggest issue to me is this: this is gonna be huge or the two controllers don't make sense. Two controllers to be usable and house all of the buttons it needs to play zelda, for example, need to be at least 4.5"+ inches long and couple of inches wide.

Try adding those to a 5" screen tablet form. One of those controllers is already like half of the surface area. Add two and you get something absurd. Plus add the need for triggers and simmetry and you get a recipe for disaster. On the other hand, 2 controllers at the side are probably so that when you grip, you fix the things more in the screen, whereas a controller attached from below for example, would have the center of mass easily sliding out from it. I mantain that for two fully functional controllers to make sense you need a design with insertable controllers where half or more of the controller fix itself inside the casing of the screen (which would need to be 1" or so thick) like a cart in a 3DS. This however make for shitty analog sticks sorta like the 3ds. This also make for the least moving/attaching parts possible and give sturdiness to the thing.

I think I get what you're saying, and it's important to not have something that starts feeling wobbly after prolonged use. But are you saying the screen casing should be 1” thick or the insertable part of the controller?
Also if there is a mechanism for a fold out stand according to EG, maybe this or other fold out parts could be used to secure the controllers.
By biggest concern is being able to apply a certain pressure in certain directions and have the screen fly across the room, like the PSP's secret umd eject feature.https://youtu.be/cQslpasIsx0

Not mine, so don't know whether I ought to be posting it here, but it's too good not to share. Really like the idea of 3 different flavours: in your hand, screen stood up on a hard surface with stand, or played on the TV.

Couple it with improved aesthetics & ergonomics, 540p resolution @ 5", scroll-wheels, and a TV-dock which overclocks the internals, and baby you've got a stew cooking.
Will probably end up being 1-screen clam-shell though

I realized that some of you are having problems visualizing the concept so I made this mock-up explaining all of the possible uses for the NX concept based on the original drawing from Eurogamer.

In this first picture, you can see the NX in its most basic form a simple device that can play simple games like Professor Layton or even Mario Kart with its motion sensors and touch screen.

If you turn it in portrait mode the NX plays mobile games (ported or created for mobile like Nintendo upcoming mobile games.) like a champ.

Once things get more complex let's say, Zelda, you slide in the control modules.

(I think that sliding it instead of attaching it will help with durability) as you can see in this picture each of the controller pieces being connected have their own simple gyros as well and could be used as a Wii-Mote.

In this form, you can play games as you would with a 3DS (but with a full set of buttons) when not using the main unit you slide the controllers in a simple shell in order to have a standard controller.

Now you can use the main unit in its base connected to a TV or use the main unit as a monitor.

And using the stand you can enjoy video apps.

Finally, when connected to its doc outputting to the TV the screen could show some basic info (like the gamepad) or be turned off (like the gamepad) in order to charge faster .

I hope this helps to illustrate the NX concept.

Eradicate

Just wanted to share some of mine! I posted in the big thread, but not one comment on any of them, probably due to my lack of Photoshop skills, haha! I even wrote extensively on how they'd work, clasp in to keep controllers secure! There is a simpler one that orioto and Enduin played around with that looks really cool, but here were the others:

Using the donut/free-form screen idea (as well as the 3D patent without needing the glasses!): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211849797&postcount=9726

PRvdgxA.png

cmQHwZj.png

lBF7Tww.png

Keeping it cheap and tablety plus another solution to keeping everything together via the case: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211586373&postcount=7729

9SbwJTz.jpg

Also, I've been loving all the mockups coming out of this rumor! It's been a fun mental exercise for sure!

G.ZZZ

I think I get what you're saying, and it's important to not have something that starts feeling wobbly after prolonged use. But are you saying the screen casing should be 1” thick or the insertable part of the controller?
Also if there is a mechanism for a fold out stand according to EG, maybe this or other fold out parts could be used to secure the controllers.
By biggest concern is being able to apply a certain pressure in certain directions and have the screen fly across the room, like the PSP's secret umd eject feature.https://youtu.be/cQslpasIsx0

The screen casing. The controllers could be thin as the lower part of the 3ds for example, which is less than half an inch. Not super comfortable but the alternative seems worse.

G.ZZZ

Not mine, so don't know whether I ought to be posting it here, but it's too good not to share. Really like the idea of 3 different flavours: in your hand, screen stood up on a hard surface with stand, or played on the TV.

Couple it with improved aesthetics & ergonomics, 540p resolution @ 5", scroll-wheels, and a TV-dock which overclocks the internals, and baby you've got a stew cooking.
Will probably end up being 1-screen clam-shell though

Again, either that screen is 10 inches, or those controllers by themselves are incredibly tiny, and the buttons and analogs are way too close for anything usable anyway.

Philippo

This is the one i like the most together with OP's, very classy and functional but reminds me of SNES.
It also has the two detatchable controllers that works as stand alone for smaller games, and a back support for the screen to play with a friend everywhere.
One thing that it's missing and OP has is some kind of structure in the middle to connect the two controllers into one, but i'd love if there was one shaped as a classic controller with handles and you just put yours into the missing space.

G.ZZZ

This is the one i like the most together with OP's, very classy and functional but reminds me of SNES.
It also has the two detatchable controllers that works as stand alone for smaller games, and a back support for the screen to play with a friend everywhere.
One thing that it's missing and OP has is some kind of structure in the middle to connect the two controllers into one, but i'd love if there was one shaped as a classic controller with handles and you just put yours into the missing space.

Can't people realize that those are like 1.5" inch long. Seriously. Things need to be usable, not only nice to look at.

Top Bottom