• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo NX Mock-up thread. Post yours here!

The screen casing. The controllers could be thin as the lower part of the 3ds for example, which is less than half an inch. Not super comfortable but the alternative seems worse.

I think the controller parts should be thicker than the screen, much like handles on most controllers including the gamepad. One option that popped into my head is a pair of sturdy frames that slide out of the undersides of the tablet, then the controllers just drop into the shaped holes in the frame and have a top surface lip that is flush with the tablet and the outsides of the frame.

Came here to see some cool mock-ups, only to find that OP knocked it out of the damn park. If the actual NX doesn't look at least somewhat like that, I will be mighty disappointed. The only thing I would change is to potentially make the "middle" section a bit bigger for when the console is docked. That controller option looks a bit cramped. Otherwise, great work OP!

It's not really mine but this is nice..

forged-nintendo-nx-controller.jpeg
LOL I like that you put "its not really mine" when its famously a 3d printed mock up of the patent.

Maybe just leave the 'really' out next time as it still suggests its somehow connected to you.

If this is supposed to appeal to casuals, then I think all of these are way off the mark due to being too complicated with too many buttons.

Nintendo must be about to throw us a real curve ball.

BumRush

As uncomfortable as it looks in console mode, I think OP's is going to be really close to what the NX actually is.

If this is supposed to appeal to casuals, then I think all of these are way off the mark due to being too complicated with too many buttons.

Nintendo must be about to throw us a real curve ball.

If it's going to be able to play Breath of the Wild, it's going to need all those buttons. What's going to appeal to casuals is its use as a tablet, in addition to a games console/handheld.

Oregano

Heres' my totally crude mockup based on the Gamepad and 2DS. The size is based on having a Gamepad sized screen(6.2 inches) so it's quite chunky but the idea was to be slightly smaller than the Gamepad(and if I did the other dimensions thinner too).

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Here's a mockup I made a couple days ago for the purpose of exploring ergonomics (i.e. It's meant to be comfortable, not necessarily pretty). I wanted to see if it was possible to have a configuration similar to the Wii U controller (and all conventional dual analog pads) where the top and bottom inputs are at an angle relative to one another. As we all know this is much more natural as the range of motion of the thumb forms an arc rather than a straight line. Every concept I've seen so far has given up on this in order to accommodate the detachable controllers being usable when held sideways. What I tried to do was design something that got around making this sacrifice. Let me know what you think.

Heres' my totally crude mockup based on the Gamepad and 2DS. The size is based on having a Gamepad sized screen(6.2 inches) so it's quite chunky but the idea was to be slightly smaller than the Gamepad(and if I did the other dimensions thinner too).
I like that the end pieces are contoured on both sides. It kind of makes me want to make another mock-up with that design.

Here's a mockup I made a couple days ago for the purpose of exploring ergonomics (i.e. It's meant to be comfortable, not necessarily pretty). I wanted to see if it was possible to have a configuration similar to the Wii U controller (and all conventional dual analog pads) where the top and bottom inputs are at an angle relative to one another. As we all know this is much more natural as the range of motion of the thumb forms an arc rather than a straight line. Every concept I've seen so far has given up on this in order to accommodate the detachable controllers being usable when held sideways. What I tried to do was design something that got around making this sacrifice. Let me know what you think.

So it would hide some of the buttons while all connected?

I actually like this idea because it's different, but doesn't look that bad at the same time. I'm curious just how big they could make the controllers with that design.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
So it would hide some of the buttons while all connected?

I actually like this idea because it's different, but doesn't look that bad at the same time. I'm curious just how big they could make the controllers with that design.

Just the one shoulder button would be hidden

Speaking of the detachable controllers these are the types that most people think about:

4 face buttons in each side in the traditional diamond and Dpad configurations, 2 thumbsticks and a pair of triggers on each side.

Although rather standard i think they would do the job perfectly for most games. Some things to consider:
  • Once detached there are enough inputs to handle any game. If we take into consideration motion sensors and the split design, the controllers could be even more versatile than a 360 pad for example.
  • Even thought the controller setup is splitted, theres enough inputs to play most games even without the use of motion inputs since there are 2 thumbsticks/Circlepads included.
  • Theres multiplayer out of the box for Wii type one handed control experiences. Like Wii Sports or Wii Play for example.
  • Nintendo could sell a cheap plastic shell that just serves as a split controller receptacle for the people that would like to play with their hands close to each other like a traditional controller.
  • The examples above are not simetrical controllers. Nintendo could opt to put the same diamond configuration on each side and just call them Right and Left + a cardinal direction to distinguish between them. For example, R^ or L>.
  • Due to the 4 face buttons been close to the stick, theres no posibility for NES multiplayer style gaming out of the box as some people expect.

i like to do controller concepts that use Trackpads in insteresting ways to simplify the interface and be more flexible. Of course Nintendo wont do something like this but it is fun to think about:

wiitrack_3truoh.jpg

Almost all of the frontal surface is covered by a clickable trackpad. The lateral sides are also covered to some degree by a Trackpad or an elongated mouse click like button. Btw, i know i didnt include the home, power, + or - buttons or an extra shoulder trigger on top.

Here's some features:
  • The size of the controller is about 4 by 1.5 inches. This makes it a bit taller than a 3DS XL.
  • The Circle Pad and the one physical button serves as a guide for the user to either press or swipe in any given cardinal direction. For example using the 1 button as reference you can press above, below, left or right to register as separate inputs. Theres also space to swipe in multiple directions in each of the 4 regions. This gives a vast amount of inputs with minimal button complexity.
  • The Trackpads are 2 point multi touch, so the user can input gestures.
  • At the sides theres either a Trackpad surface or an elongated clickable button. This side Trackpad can be programmed to ignore redundant input or can be enabled and disabled depending in which control style is been held.
  • There's a speaker inside the controller. The main function asigned to it is generate button or key type sounds when the trackpad is clicked or swipped. This is to give similar feedback to what you get in a traditional pad with moving parts.
  • In this case the controller can be used side ways like a NES or SNES pad. So theres multiplayer in that style out of the box.
  • Not pictured but is also possible to put an extra shoulder button in the top besides the Trigger.
  • It would include the standard IMUs (Magnetometer/Compass,Gyross, accelerometers, Etc)
  • Theres the possibility to use the HandHeld camera when docked for more precise absolute tracking.
  • This control is symmetrical, so theres need to fabricate just one model.
  • The controller gets rid of most of the traditional button nomenclature. No (X,B,A,Y) instead it relies in a more natural way to asociate inputs, in this case cardinal directions.

Oregano

I like that the end pieces are contoured on both sides. It kind of makes me want to make another mock-up with that design.

Yeah I was trying to think how to make it comfortable if used as a new style controller or at least more comfortable than a block.

I predicted Nintendo would make a console like this way before it was announced, but a lot of us were. Why? Because it was fucking obvious. Nintendo has always responded their next console as a answer to the previous one, and that was clear with Wii and Wii U.

Wii brought motions control, but a whole new mash of new problems. Wii U was created to be a direct response. A compromise between what was lost from the gamecube, while still commiting to motion controls.

And Wii U? What Wii U doesn't have that the NX will have, is a controller-handheld device that lives up the potential. Many of us love the Wii U controller. It's like someone mixed the VMU with Yeast and put in the oven. It made perfect sense.
The Wii U controller was a poor handheld device and there was not much power in it and battery was bad.

NX will fix this, and OPs design look a lot like how I imagine it would look, though I have not understood the design choice with regards to the two controller dongles sticking together like that in console mode.

NX should run on a android backbone. With a specialized Nintendo interface. It should have wireless charging, and a secondary battery.
I'd have the size be upwards a Ipad 10' or a Ipad 13 for screen. With a 1080p Igzo panel. Probably 250 nits would give a serious low power draw with an efficient ULV. We've seen ultrabooks hit 13-16 hours of usage. And with a GPU hybrid solution you know the NX would double well as a media consumption device.

My main concern is that the NX just got to have a better build quality than the Wii U. The Wii U was excellent but it was slow and the plastics didn't feel premium. The battery life was also bad.

If the device can do everything a android tablet can, and run google drive, and have access to android apps and everything else, you can make me not go out and buy another tablet.

I'd put haptic feedback in the controllers. I'd make a higher SKU with an extra battery pack, battery charger, 128 GB flash Drive, a stylus.
And i'd make that the SKU that really drives price up.

And something else I'd do. I'd make both a Wi-Fi version and a LTE version. I'd make it so that I can go to my carrier and pay off the NX over 24 months with a bundled wireless broadband.
I think being able to put a sim card in this is critical. It's really Important. And its really important that there is a serious battery life.

I also want to mention how both the d-pad and classic four-face-button layout are prominently featured in Nintendo's recent "there's no play like it" branding, so it seems unlikely those things would be omitted from the NX. I'll bet money the controls we all know so well won't be altered too much.

Xux

The mock up in the OP is exactly what I'd want the NX to look like. I'm honestly kind of flustered by it because I'm expecting to be disappointed by the real thing.

Still, I guess I'll let myself hope it comes close. And that you can use the Wii U Pro Controller with it.

BDGAME

I made my final mockup.
My focus in that mockup is the customized controllers. I called these removable buttons "circle pad", since they are the same principle as the one in 3DS.

NXmockupd092.jpg

I put one triangle button that is necessary press and hold to remove the circle pad.

More than that I put the small second analog of new3DS to make any individual control more complete.

Top Bottom