• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The number of games released on Steam could top 5,000 in 2017most ever in a year

nynt9

Got no doubt at all about that, I know you're someone very knowledgeable about this, but as much as I understand that I do believe that quality control is a good thing, regardless of the risks it carries. Unless you think Digital Homicide made Steam a better place?

I just don't understand why the only 2 options are closed gardens or open floodgates. Like I said you're the expert, is there no way Valve can run an online storefront whereby Firefighters the Simulation and The Slaughtering Grounds fail a quality check and Stardew Valley manages to pass?

Because who is the one to decide? There are 5000 games just this year, who's going to play all of them and decide if they're worthwhile? Who do we trust to be that distinctive about each one? What about a good game with a shit art style? What about flawed gems? It's impossible to decide.

Why don't we hold iTunes or amazon to this same impossible standard?

Got no doubt at all about that, I know you're someone very knowledgeable about this, but as much as I understand that I do believe that quality control is a good thing, regardless of the risks it carries. Unless you think Digital Homicide made Steam a better place?

I just don't understand why the only 2 options are closed gardens or open floodgates. Like I said you're the expert, is there no way Valve can run an online storefront whereby Firefighters the Simulation and The Slaughtering Grounds fail a quality check and Stardew Valley manages to pass?

There's not two options. There are tons. There are filters. There are user reviews. There are refunds. You don't have to see the garbage if you don't want to.

When you start introducing quality checks you start burdening developers and getting into a murky area where a subjective opinion basically gets in the way of whether or not a game should be up. You might not like Slaugthering Grounds, and I don't either, but maybe someone out there does. Let the market decide what should sell and what should not, and let Steam provide the tools for consumers to do the research. Anything else and it's going too far.

Because who is the one to decide? There are 5000 games just this year, who's going to play all of them and decide if they're worthwhile? Who do we trust to be that distinctive about each one? What about a hood game with a shit art style? What about flawed gems? It's impossible to decide.

This too. It's not just "man this game looks like shit don't put it up". Actual curation would take tons of manpower and time. They'd have to play through every title to make sure it's up to the quality of some NeoGAF poster. Or they could just give the tools out so consumers can protect themselves, make an informed decision, and let dudes who don't wanna put forth the simple effort of selecting a few minutes whine about having a modicum of effort employed while they shop.

People only catch feelings like this when it comes to video games.

Durante

It used to be. Now I miss those days a lot.
I don't miss some of my favourite games not being able to get onto Steam and me therefore having to manually keep track of my purchases across lots of disparate distribution mechanisms.

Digital Homicide's presence or non-presence on the Steam store made absolutely 0 difference to my use of it.

It was always rare for me to buy a game because I see it on Steam -- in fact, with the current discovery tools it's more likely than it ever was, because those can and do, from time to time, point me to interesting games I hadn't heard about.

Nothing but good news.

It's not like it's hard to find the good stuff. Never has been. People worried about shovelware are ridiculous to me. It's like being sad that there's a McDonalds down the street while you eat your perfectly prepared steak.

So much this. The sheer volume of shite that you have to wade through to find anything good is incredibly off putting. It's actually pushed me back to consoles for the most part.

I didnt mention that, but basically the same here. I have bought more console games than PC this year for the first time in ages. I still consider PC my "main" platform, but times are changing.

ASaiyan

Banned
Yup, that's an exponential growth curve. I wonder what it's like just keeping those servers up and running, lol.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I only learned about Digital Homicide because someone created a bunch of videos about them and made them popular, and many people on GAF started talking about that. I never saw their games on the Steam store myself. So I wouldn't say they made Steam a worse place; in fact, I didn't notice them at all.

I don't know how to quote multiple people here so I'm gonna manage as best I can lol. I mean I think Valve would be the obvious choice as to who is the curator, they can most definitely afford it, and you already 'trust' them to run everything else that invloves giving them money at the end so why don't they have a team that can check if a game isn't hate speech first and foremost (they've been good reacting to those games in the past but it would only take 5 seconds to blow t****y Gladiator out of oblivion before it gets anywhere near Steam). Then it wouldn't take longer for things like Zen Fish Simulator, Art of Stealth or Air Traffic Control whatever it was called. Enforce some standards of QC, tell developers that getting published on Steam means upping your game and should be something to be proud of a quite prestigious, not a place where the 10 games above you in the new releases end in 'Simulator' and the 10 below you are asset flips. Obviously hyperbole but you get the point.

Heck there's been games that haven't even been able to be launched some 'devs' are that lazy/untalented/not bothered. I just think having a team filtering the absolute garbage is unquestionably a good thing? Let's start from that most basic of places. Flawed gems or games that just look bad shouldn't be up for debate at this early stage, no one playing Undertale, Stardew Valley or Flinthook or something who obviously knows game quality to be in the position in the first place would refuse them. We don't think Valve are *that* incompetent do we? And it should be feasible timewise, a team should be easy to cover the what is it 50ish games published daily? Basic QC as a baby step.

cyba89

If we look at Steamspy annual Steam sales report, it's actually concerning. The number of games sold in 2016 went down (though not by that much) compared to 2015, even though the number of games released AND Steam active users went up. It'll be interesting to see 2017 report later.

That's not an effect of the number of new game releases going up.
People just have amassed huge Steam backlogs over the years and just have an finite amount of time to play games. People get stingier with their purchase decisions and buy fewer games because they already have so much to play.

I don't know how to quote multiple people here so I'm gonna manage as best I can lol. I mean I think Valve would be the obvious choice as to who is the curator, they can most definitely afford it, and you already 'trust' them to run everything else that invloves giving them money at the end so why don't they have a team that can check if a game isn't hate speech first and foremost (they've been good reacting to those games in the past but it would only take 5 seconds to blow t****y Gladiator out of oblivion before it gets anywhere near Steam).

Why don't you give us an idea of this baseline they should be aiming for? Just because I "trust" them with my money doesn't mean I "trust" their opinions on what I should and shouldn't play. Would you trust Amazon to tell you what you should buy? That's not even remotely the same thing or how things work.

Additionally "blowing through a game" doesn't mean completing it. It means checking every facet of that game for devious errors and bugs, some of which won't just occur on a singular runthrough. Even slaughtering grounds could take hours to see all the bullshit. With some RPGs and other games reaching dozens of hours and time, that means each game (because you wouldn't want a biased curator to just accept big and middleware games without checking them, right) would have to wait to be accepted. Meaning PC owners would have to take more time waiting while console owners get to play. When the best solution is to just let the market decide.

Enforce some standards of QC, tell developers that getting published on Steam means upping your game and should be something to be proud of a quite prestigious, not a place where the 10 games above you in the new releases end in 'Simulator' and the 10 below you are asset flips. Obviously hyperbole but you get the point.

Just a tip: if you know you are employing hyperbole, just don't do it.

What standards? Why would a developer be happy about his hard work not getting in because it doesn't reach every checkmark? And what you've said about ten games above and below don't always happen because people can curate the search list with a few options themselves. You are placing an inconvenience on every party involved and I still don't see the benefits beyond the fact that you yourself are not seeing games you don't like. In which case, you could just do the simple research to avoid said games, much of which is presented on the store page.

Heck there's been games that haven't even been able to be launched some 'devs' are that lazy/untalented/not bothered. I just think having a team filtering the absolute garbage in unquestionably a good thing? Let's start from that most basic of places.

It's not basic. There's time and money involved, and you'd need a big ass team to do that. And you need a bar of standards, which has tons of implications in terms of what is allowed and what isn't. It's so basic, but people here can't even come up with something that would be fair and work for all parties involved.

Enforce some standards of QC, tell developers that getting published on Steam means upping your game and should be something to be proud of a quite prestigious, not a place where the 10 games above you in the new releases end in 'Simulator' and the 10 below you are asset flips. Obviously hyperbole but you get the point.

If a quality title launches around games like that it won't be sandwiched between them on the new releases list. Asset flips don't show up on the front page lost of releases. You've got to go looking for titles like that to find them.

Let's start from that most basic of places. Flawed gems or games that just look bad shouldn't be up for debate at this early stage, no one playing Undertale, Stardew Valley or Flinthook or something who obviously knows game quality to be in the position in the first place would refuse them.

Except under the old system Stardew Valley would have been refused, we know that because the people who used to look for good games said it would have been rejected.

joecanada

Vast majority of shit on iTunes and Amazon is trash too. Nobody seems to give a fuck about that though.

Don't buy the garbage. Problem solved.

It bothers me greatly that Netflix is full of garbage it makes navigation a chore . Same goes for steam the suggestions are just terrible

Kieli

tbf, if a game is good it'll be noticed

Not always true. Some good games have criminally low sales, and there are so many games that I often skip over "good" or "interesting" games because I know I'll never play them (if I can even find them with Steam's tag search functionality).

MUnited83

For you.
It bothers me greatly that Netflix is full of garbage it makes navigation a chore . Same goes for steam the suggestions are just terrible

Navigation on Netflix is a chore because Netflix has a absurdly terrible UI that doesn't give one shit about usability.
Steam recommendation queue works perfectly.

Let me generate a queue to show you:

Shiness : The Lightning Kingdom
Cat Quest
X-Morph Defense
Observer
JCB Pioneer: Mars
Saurian
Start-up Company
Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome
Lost Technology
Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth
Hypercharge
A Robot Named Fight!

How are these suggestions terrible? Every single game here looks at the very least decent and has definitely lots of effort put in, and all of them have positive reviews. Not a single asset flip or garbage game in this list.

Durante

Navigation on Netflix is a chore because Netflix has a absurdly terrible UI that doesn't give one shit about usability.
Steam recommendation queue works perfectly.

Let me generate a queue to show you:

[...]
X-Morph Defense
[...]

How are these suggestions terrible? Every single game here looks at the very least decent and has definitely lots of effort put in, and all of them have positive reviews. Not a single asset flip or garbage game in this list.
I played this one yesterday in coop and it's really good. Found it because of the Steam discovery features, actually.

Fancolors

I don't get all these people saying they need to swim through garbage to find good stuff. Most games that get recommended to me seem fine, not stuff I would necessarily want to purchase but certainly miles above meme cash ins like Fidget Spinner Simulator everyone is complaining about.

There are ways to customize what gets recommended to you nowadays. A lot of games I found in discovery were pretty fun and few that weren't I just refunded.

How many times have you actually had to swim through trash that the filters didn't cover? Did you see shitty games like slaughtering grounds because of steam or because you tubers and Neogaf posters were talking about it?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
26d.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
People seem to have really short memories.

We had the Steam-as-curated-storefront era before.

People fucking hated it, because there was always an interesting game that wasn't able to get onto the store. Now people complain there is too much on Steam, but the complaint used to be "why isn't X game on Steam yet? The fuck is taking them so long?"

Even after Greenlight started up and Valve started letting more games onto the store, developers were writing open letters to Valve and shit about how they should let more stuff in. And gamers were acting as though even having to go through the Greenlight process was an insult for a developer. (Heard this a lot when Ikaruga was on Greenlight, for example.)

So Valve decided to just let whatever onto the Steam store and concentrate on making their discovery tools better. And now, Steam is very good at showing you good/popular games that you would be interested in, and you never have to see any of the "trash" unless you're specifically looking for it.

Htown

How many times have you actually had to swim through trash that the filters didn't cover? Did you see shitty games like slaughtering grounds because of steam or because you tubers and Neogaf posters were talking about it?

You never see it. People who say this either don't look at Steam at all, or they intentionally bypass the 15 ways that Steam has to curate content and go directly to a list of every recently released game.

Like, who the fuck goes to itunes or amazon and says "well let me just see a list of everything that was put onto the store today" and then complains about their quality control?

Nobody, because that would be fucking stupid. But somehow this is supposed to be the way you browse Steam?

I don't get all these people saying they need to swim through garbage to find good stuff. Most games that get recommended to me seem fine, not stuff I would necessarily want to purchase but certainly miles above meme cash ins like Fidget Spinner Simulator everyone is complaining about.

There are ways to customize what gets recommended to you nowadays. A lot of games I found in discovery were pretty fun and few that weren't I just refunded.

Same. I feel like I must be unbelievably lucky whenever I see these threads since I never see these assets flips or joke simulators on Steam even though I check the store almost daily. Looking at the new releases list on the front page I have good games that released in August rather than loads of trash.

"This year saw more games released than any previous year! Just like every single year since Steam was created!". Quite beyond non-news.

Also lol at the people complaining about trash games on Steam. What the hell do you care? Are you going to buy them? Even if you did, you can return them from the confort of your home. What gets me most of it is that the most vocal, outraged, ardent critics of game quality on Steam are invariably those that won't touch anything remotely indie with a ten-foot pole; kindly piss off to find another nonsensical thing to be outraged about.

Wensih

Netflix is garbage because they don't have the breadth of titles to their library, so you have to actually wade through the garbage to figure out what they offer. It's not just netflix, but all streaming services, because movie libraries are splintered between so many different sites.

I don't actually browse through the steam catalog to find something to purchase. I use curators like Giant Bomb, RPS, youtube, neogaf, etc. to find titles and then use the search function knowing it will be on steam 99% of the time. Often the only times I hear about/know about garbage on steam is if Jim Sterling talks about it :shrug:.

Its crazy because I am buying fewer and fewer each year. The sales suck too now.

Yup my newish pc is mostly rotting. I shouldn't have bothered. If I didn't use it for work I'd sell it.

Three years ago I'd find something cool I never heard about on steam and love it.

Now I look at steam every two-four months and leave sad I couldn't find anything interesting like before. It's such a fucking mess.

Aaron D.

Because who is the one to decide? There are 5000 games just this year, who's going to play all of them and decide if they're worthwhile? Who do we trust to be that distinctive about each one? What about a good game with a shit art style? What about flawed gems? It's impossible to decide.

Exactly.

wfd8tjs.png

I really enjoyed Firefighters 2014.

One man's trash, etc.

bobawesome

There are 144 games released 2016 that got +4 reviews and min 75 metacritic on pc
90 already for 2017

there is no drought of good games on steam

Not to mention the games that won't ever be reviewed by Metacritic, like a lot of visual novels. For me, Metacritic is a pretty outdated way to judge quality when it comes to PC gaming.

Durante

You never see it. People who say this either don't look at Steam at all, or they intentionally bypass the 15 ways that Steam has to curate content and go directly to a list of every recently released game.

Like, who the fuck goes to itunes or amazon and says "well let me just see a list of everything that was put onto the store today" and then complains about their quality control?

Nobody, because that would be fucking stupid. But somehow this is supposed to be the way you browse Steam?
Exactly.

I simply cannot conceive of any argument that you have to "wade through trash" to use Steam being made in good faith.

That's horrible, I'm used to buying my games looking at the pics that are on the back of the box, I expect the same quality standard from Steam, the game with the nicest pics get's bought and they need to be on the frontpage of the client at the top because my mousewheel is broken so I can't scroll down in the Steam client, and it's ridiculous if they expect me to click any of those buttons ... I don't even know what they are there for, clutter, sad!
I want only 5 games on Steam, the best of the best.... I probably already have them in my inventory but that's besides the point!

Ionic

Problem is there's just way too much now so that there's really no point in playing an average game. Devs need to step their shit up if they wanna get noticed.

I think this is something many people don't fully consider. Yes, there are proportionally more garbage games releasing on Steam, but there's also tons more fantastic, good, and just okay games releasing these days too. Cutting the garbage still means your okay game has to vie for people's time against the huge onslaught of amazing games. Back in 2009 I could play every great indie game that came out. Nowadays there's just too many enjoyable games to account for completely. The bar to getting noticed has been raised and it isn't simply the garbage games' fault.

joecanada

Netflix is garbage because they don't have the breadth of titles to their library, so you have to actually wade through the garbage to figure out what they offer. It's not just netflix, but all streaming services, because movie libraries are splintered between so many different sites.

I don't actually browse through the steam catalog to find something to purchase. I use curators like Giant Bomb, RPS, youtube, neogaf, etc. to find titles and then use the search function knowing it will be on steam 99% of the time. Often the only times I hear about/know about garbage on steam is if Jim Sterling talks about it :shrug:.

That would work for any service. I could use movie reviews to find movies too. Steam still suggests stuff I would never play and the dash is full of it.

Htown

That would work for any service. I could use movie reviews to find movies too. Steam still suggests stuff I would never play and the dash is full of it.

then maybe you should engage with literally any of the steam settings that let you filter the content you see?

Josman

After trying to find good VR games, yeah, the lack of quality control and the amount of shit, quick cash grab games is overwhelming

Boompoe

Neo Member
It's just getting out of control at this point. Having your game on Steam used to be semi prestigious, but now it means almost nothing.

Slashlen

I only have one real complaint with steam curation at the moment. From time to time, I obtain keys for games either freely or grouped with another one I did want. Let's just refer to this as "bundle trash". I am also incentivized by steam to run most of these games for a few hours for some minor monetary benefit(cards). This has apparently convinced steam that I am a huge fan of these games and would be interested in purchasing similar titles. I have had some trouble convincing it otherwise. I just want the ability to tell their algorithm to ignore these. I'm confident the quality of my queue would increase significantly.

Top Bottom