• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The number of games released on Steam could top 5,000 in 2017most ever in a year

Wensih

That would work for any service. I could use movie reviews to find movies too. Steam still suggests stuff I would never play and the dash is full of it.

The problem is you had to add an extra layer of, "oh this movie is great. whoops not on netflix. I guess I'll browse netflix for an hour scrounging around for what they do have...."

joecanada

The problem is you had to add an extra layer of, "oh this movie is great. whoops not on netflix. I guess I'll browse netflix for an hour scrounging around for what they do have...."

Well yeah if you only have Netflix then you'd probably wanna filter that first like that's pretty obvious

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You know PC gaming has won when people start hyperboling that there are many asset flips and pretend this is not a good thing

There are 144 games released 2016 that got +4 reviews and min 75 metacritic on pc
90 already for 2017

there is no drought of good games on steam

I agree that there is no shortage of good games. But the numbers you provide shows that the "quality" is actually not keeping pace w/ last year.

Wensih

Well yeah if you only have Netflix then you'd probably wanna filter that first like that's pretty obvious

Yeah, but that's the problem with Netflix and not with steam. Steam more often than not will have the game if I search for it. Netflix more often than not won't. I'd rather Steam have everything, good and bad, that way when I want something I don't have to jump through multiple store fronts/services to find it.

ViviOggi

Yup my newish pc is mostly rotting. I shouldn't have bothered. If I didn't use it for work I'd sell it.

Three years ago I'd find something cool I never heard about on steam and love it.

Now I look at steam every two-four months and leave sad I couldn't find anything interesting like before. It's such a fucking mess.
Can you record yourself failing to find an interesting game on Steam because that's quite the feat

TheTrain

That's because these 2 games are not good.
I don't know about lawbreakers but Mirage, yeah..it's not good sadly

I'm happy with this kind of situation tbh, my wallet not so much but ehi, what can I do? :p
Joke aside I like the diversity of this days, it's something like that was missing and what I was hoping for. I want to be as free as possible to check and decide what is worth to be played.

I'd rather curate my own purchasing decisions than trust someone else to do it for me. Give me the option to buy anything and I'll pick the ones I feel are worth my money and time.

pislit

My uncle made 50 games and published it on Steam unknowingly, that's probably the reason the number is that high.

ArtHands

Yup my newish pc is mostly rotting. I shouldn't have bothered. If I didn't use it for work I'd sell it.

Three years ago I'd find something cool I never heard about on steam and love it.

Now I look at steam every two-four months and leave sad I couldn't find anything interesting like before. It's such a fucking mess.

You should prove your point by screencapping your steam front page, and show us what Steam is showing you.

Pachael

More the merrier, I say, though I do feel for some of the more niche games that might not get more attention (eg Falcom games)

Still, the story on Steam this year would be the rapid rise of the BR genre, so many other games would have found it hard to compete for eyeballs.

Ted

I genuinely don't understand the "I can't find good games because of this" on a platform where the discovery tools, whilst not perfect, are far beyond the other big players in both breadth and depth.

I have had a Steam account for a few years (I am someones Uncle after all) but barely used until earlier this year. They have very little data about me and my preferences yet even then, using the relatively basic tags, curators and review tools, I was able to build a small library of games. With that little bit of data Steam have gone on to make my life ridiculously easy by giving me a tailored discovery queue which rarely fails to see me look into a game a little more.

With half decent discovery tools (and my own common sense), quantity really isn't an issue to me.

I'd been used to stuff like this:

PS Store /Just For You/ tab said:
Because I "played" Dying Light:
7IN39pB.jpg

jAJCeh4.jpg

Because I "bought" Hitman:
Mhz9Ry3.jpg

YlKYMJR.jpg

Because I "bought" F1:
7QLoTuL.jpg

mZMVTLR.jpg

You'd think at least the driving game one would be OK surely? Nah, they just really want me to play Until Dawn, Assassins Creed Freedom Cry and Just Cause 3. Oh well, I'll search the store for a game I heard about from a friend, ONE LETTER AT A TIME.

Despite me having played and bought and played far less games on Steam than I have on the PS store, on the same day (early August) my Steam discovery queue contained these:

Steam /Discovery Queue/ said:

Not only are these more relevant to me, based on my Steam play history, the page explains why it is being displayed AND gives me options to better hone the queue going forward right fucking there as part of the discovery process!

How people struggle to find games really is beyond me. Amazon must blow their fucking minds!

ArtHands

What did PC gaming win? A cookie?

It has won the argument that the biggest and best home gaming storefront is on the PC, Steam is on the right path here compare to everyone else, and there's next to no proper counter argument point.

schlynch

I'm using Steam on a daily basis and never had the feeling that I had to wade through trash. Just games that are not to my type of game. I don't know why there should be some kind of control for it, since most of the games have their niche and sell to some extend. How much of these games are really 'scams'? 1-2%? Maybe even not as much. I don't know. So... the more games the better. Good unknown games with mass appeal will always stand out, great games for niche gamers will be heard of and found, the tiny amount of scams and cash grab will be forgotten ... seems fine to me.

Damn, Steam Direct didn't change a thing?

Are the keys and trading card systems changed already?
Trading cards have been changed for a few months. Some games won't drop cards until it passes some opaque metric (at which point anyone who played it enough will get the cards). In the mean time it will be barraged by negative reviews by angry customers demanding their cards. The game is listed as having trading cards as a feature (which is what really annoys me with Steam the features listing, it doesn't always tell you about DRM and for trading cards it can tell you about cards that won't drop yet or not tell you about cards that do).

I only have one real complaint with steam curation at the moment. From time to time, I obtain keys for games either freely or grouped with another one I did want. Let's just refer to this as "bundle trash". I am also incentivized by steam to run most of these games for a few hours for some minor monetary benefit(cards). This has apparently convinced steam that I am a huge fan of these games and would be interested in purchasing similar titles. I have had some trouble convincing it otherwise. I just want the ability to tell their algorithm to ignore these. I'm confident the quality of my queue would increase significantly.
In the news post about the above feature Valve mentioned idling and how it messes up their metrics making games seem like they are being played when they are not etc...

Didn't Valve think "people idle bundle trash for cards so let's consider an alternative way to obtain cards". Of course not (if it were something like idle now for cards or wait two weeks to get the cards I'd got for the latter).

Ascheroth

Trading cards have been changed for a few months. Some games won't drop cards until it passes some opaque metric (at which point anyone who played it enough will get the cards). In the mean time it will be barraged by negative reviews by angry customers demanding their cards. The game is listed as having trading cards as a feature (which is what really annoys me with Steam the features listing, it doesn't always tell you about DRM and for trading cards it can tell you about cards that won't drop yet or not tell you about cards that do).

In the news post about the above feature Valve mentioned idling and how it messes up their metrics making games seem like they are being played when they are not etc...

Didn't Valve think "people idle bundle trash for cards so let's consider an alternative way to obtain cards". Of course not (if it were something like idle now for cards or wait two weeks to get the cards I'd got for the latter).
That would be great. I have a few hundred cards left to drop, but I don't want to idle, because the last time it took ages until my recommendations normalized again.

it's September, there are over 3 months left with the heavy release period in October and November

Heavy release period? The whole year had been a heavy release period. This isn't the AA console model where people hope to be on shelves for the holiday.

By the metric you stated previously, less than 3% of all releases on Steam so far this year are "good" do you really think that number will rise within the next 3.5 months?

KonradLaw

Great, there's an unprecedented selection of great stuff to play out there.

By the way, more than 100000 books were released on Amazon (my favourite book store) in 2016.

Yeah. The complains are especially strange on Neogaf, which always was indie friendly. Considering the market dominance of Steam curration would effectively mean the death of indie games as an idea. Because in such scenario Valve becomes the publisher and gate-keeper, just a crappy one, since they don't finance your games. And aside from maybe simulators there's no way for paid indie game to make it without Steam these days.

Maybe it's just console gamers mentality . People grew up on consoles, then when PC gaming became cheap and popular, as well as started to get all those japanese ports, plenty of people moved into PC, but instead of embracing what the platform is about (ie..freedom and diversity, at the price of more effort required) they expect it to be just like consoles, only with prettier graphics.

KonradLaw

I don't feel that's true. Look at game's like Lawbreakers and Mirage: Arcane Warfare. Being good isn't always enough.

Both of those were noticed a lot though. People just choose not to play them. Both were released at period extremely heavy with MP titles and both were constructed in such way that to succeed they need to take away players from bigger and more established titles that are still going strong.

Mirage's free offer seems to have worked out well though. Will be interesting to see if the numbers keep up and if Lawbreakers will attempt to repeat this experiment

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, this is a big reason why things like Indie Marketers, Public Relations and even Publishers are ever more increasingly becoming a thing.

Top Bottom