• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

prwxv3

I think someone should start a new thread with all the impressions in it. Unless the OP of this thread is here to add all of them to the OP.

Osahi

This is the only game that really pulls me for PS4, love the Victorian setting, fingers crossed it turns out well. Impressions seem really mixed though with some bad and some good.

Don't fuck this up guys, I'm rooting for you.

Well yeah, reactions are mixed because the game is mixed. It's part really good, and part pretty mediocre. I hated the stealth section for instance, especially because there was no fail state (even when an enemy was alone in the room and you should be able to kill him off before he raises an alarm) and the AI was pretty dumb. Also the QTE's could be pretty intruisive.

Otherwise I loved the atmosphere and the basic TPS combat. Allthough the coversystem still needs some work, the weapons are awesome and pack a great punch imo. It's also very cool to see how the world reacts on your shots. Pots and pans fly, glass cases shatter with a great clang, wood splinters. Yeah, if you simply shoot at stuff outside of battles to see what happens the illusion is quickly broken (broken stuff dissapears quick and stuff like that), but that's just you as a player stepping out of the immersion. Not the game breaking the immersion for you imo.

So in the end I hope the balance tips to the good stuff, while the mediocre stuff is rare at best. But I'm affraid it will be a 50/50 affair. Then again. The slices we saw where so small, and nobody has seen the combat against the paranormal beasts yet, so maybe it'll turn out great in the end

Wasteman

Banned
So have RAD just completely dropped the soft-body physics ? Cant believe people aren't talking about the absence more as that was the most next-gen thing about the game. I guess my dreams of realistic shoot-out, with the room and it's objects getting torn to shreds in the process will not be satisfied. Was the only thing that made this game interesting to me.

ron_bato

I think I got them all.

Hey Loudninja, great work! I found a few more if you're interested in updating.

Videogamer had a negative preview here: http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_order_1886/preview-3836.html

And gamereactorTV had a mixed- to slightly optimistic/positive in tone preview here (i say slightly positive in tone because once you combine it with their video preview, it feels more positive: http://www.gamereactor.eu/previews/276304/The+Order:+1886/

video preview from the writer of the preview from gamereactor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEP9gNCgwfI

edit:

Also, a fellow gaffer who works for pushsquare shared his preview in this thread before here: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014...lusive_the_order_1886_a_revolution_or_a_relic

And one more from godisageek.com: http://www.godisageek.com/2014/12/the-order-1886-preview/

Chaostar

I think it looks great, not sure where all the hate is coming from.

Sure it's not open world, it might be too easy for some and QTEs are a dirty word to self-proclaimed hardcore gamers but there are positives to be had here. Each to their own though, opinions and all that, just wish that criticism could stay constructive and hyperbole free.

What are these fundamentally important game mechanics that are missing or done incorrectly in The Order? The gunplay looks pretty solid to me but I'd have to play it to know how it feels.

The story also has me intrigued, I do love a good alternate time line world and Victorian London is a pretty cool setting even before you add in the supernatural and class war. It's backed up by some excellent animation and voice acting too.

Yeah, so far it isn't mindblowingly innovative but, if Apple has taught me anything it's that, if you do something well it doesn't have to be new to be a success; you might even be falsely credited with its invention ;P

I wonder if the OP is still reading this thread. If so, it'd be nice to update the OP with all the previews and impressions so far.

Also, that videogamer preview is brutal, lol.

I wonder if the OP is still reading this thread. If so, it'd be nice to update the OP with all the previews and impressions so far.

Sounds like he really hated the stealth sections but loved the shooting. Thankfully they have said there isnt many stealth sections in the game.

Didn't Videogamer also say that Sunset Overdrive was mediocre? That game turns out pretty good. I am not sure if I should trust Videogamer for their preview :\

Hugstable

Banned
Sounds like he really hated the stealth sections but loved the shooting. Thankfully they have said there isnt many stealth sections in the game.

Same, I usually don't mind stealth, but watching alot od the recent previews I hope there isn't too much, csuse it seems like its made to where you can't really error. I really loved how TLoU did stealth, I want more of that haha. The guns on the other hand look badass and really fun to shoot, and with many having an alternate firing mode, I hope we have lots of time to have fun using the guns in Different situations. The AK-like rifle with the power blast seems awesome, like a form of crowd control that can really help against multiple Lycans.

Sounds like a perfect game for a $5 sale purchase.

lol

Didn't Videogamer also say that Sunset Overdrive was mediocre? That game turns out pretty good. I am not sure if I should trust Videogamer for their preview :\
Well, just because they had negative previews of a game that turned out great doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't trust them, it's just their opinion. Best we can do until we play the game ourselves is read these articles and form our own judgements based on what we've seen and read of the game.

Same, I usually don't mind stealth, but watching alot od the recent previews I hope there isn't too much, csuse it seems like its made to where you can't really error. I really loved how TLoU did stealth, I want more of that haha.
As it has been addressed on this and that other horrible thread, the 'forced' stealth most likely comes from the story demanding that you aren't detected at all while inflitrating the airship, so a "fail state" isn't part of the developer's vision since the story wouldn't allow that. Still, that doesn't mean it's not poorly implemented; it was certainly the part of the demo I liked the least. Fortunately, shinobi said there aren't many stealth sequences.

Sounds like a perfect game for a $5 sale purchase.
Please, tell us more.

Top Bottom