• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
again: da fuk

seriously stop, no ones a child because they want some value for their $60. Whether that means a longer SP campaign, replay-ability, MP, coop, etc... doesn't matter.

I didn't mean it in that condescending sense. It's condescending nonetheless but in a playful manner. I was just making fun of all the locked threads.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Design sounds like exactly what I expected and your descriptions of the gunplay sound even better than what I had hoped. Thanks for the write up. The other impressions from gaffers have been positive as well. Should be a good ride.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OP, should we expect that you're not going to answer any of the questions laid out in the thread?

GHG

Gold Member
again: da fuk

seriously stop, no ones a child because they want some value for their $60. Whether that means a longer SP campaign, replay-ability, MP, coop, etc... doesn't matter.

Value is subjective.

Some people will find more value in a strong 5 hour story driven single player experience than they would in a 40 hour open world minimap collectathon game with mindless run and gun MP tacked on top.

It comes down to what you look for in games.

Skele7on

Banned
Preordered today, before reading this, after reading, I want to play it now!!!

So looking forward to a single player experience I can just pick up and play through.

Going to make a really refreshing change from the huge open world games I have been playing recently. Plus it looks absolutely wonderful to boot!

E92 M3

Children thing was funny; why is everyone so sensitive? Thanks for impressions. I love single player games, but this seems too linear.

I can't wait Thanks OP..... DAY 1!
J5Eh1I4.gif

Game4life

Banned
Thanks for the impressions OP. Could you chime in how the combat arena's feel compared to say UC2? I know it is not as big as TLOU but does it give you the freedom of say a UC2?

Excellent post OP and completely get where you're coming from

Game really makes me wish I still had a PS4. Totally looks like an "experience" that I would love :(

Faceache

After Mordor, Sunset, Dragon Age, GTA, Far Cry I think this is releasing at just the right time. I know I feel a little burned out on open world type games and I'm definitely in the mood for something more linear.

Watched the first two parts of someone's youtube playthrough earlier and I can't wait til Friday now.

It was meant as an endearing joke referencing all the bickering about the game. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Some more specific notes about the Gameplay:

There's a wide variety of guns at your disposal, all of which sound and feel as tangible as their rendering looks. You can feel the gun powder making the metal snap against the battered, grainy wood of your rifles. Explosions leave believable carnage and destruction, both on the environment and the enemies. All of which is accentuated by various uses of on-screen effects like DOF and motion blur, especially as you take cover.
I love shit like this, the small details for me are what really brings me into the game. That's probably where the kz2 reference comes into play.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Question pertaining to the story side of things:

Is it memorable and if it is then what stood out:

• Plot
  • Character interaction
  • Lore

I loved TLoU which in spite of a simple premise felt the overall story side of the game be so memorable thanks to the character interplay and how well the characters themselves were thought out. As such, would I find this game memorable?

Sorry I didn't get to this question sooner.

Character interaction, first and foremost is what will stand out to most. Plot kicks in secondly and late in the game as well as lore. It's a wee bit light on good ol' thick lore, to be honest.

Kaze2212

Regarding the playtime of this game. The Uncharted games took me around 7 hours each. This game won't be really different to be honest. If those games aren't worth 60 bucks to you that's absolutely fine. But this game's length isn't really different from other TPS games.

VinFTW

Value is subjective.

Some people will find more value in a strong 5 hour story driven single player experience than they would in a 40 hour open world minimap collectathon game with mindless run and gun MP tacked on top.

That's great, but it doesn't make you a child if you think of value in different ways.

Don't know how anybody could defend his post lol

(also Rapier I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about the person I responded to. The children thing in the OP isn't harmful at all lol).

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Children thing was funny; why is everyone so sensitive? Thanks for impressions. I love single player games, but this seems too linear.

Something about this game inspires serious thread derailing. I don't know why it's so controversial on GAF, all it ever claimed to be during development was a cinematic TPS and that's seemingly exactly what it is.

Valentus

7.86246 out of 10.

Yep. Some are a 7 out of 7, others 7 out of 11 and so on, all sort of different ratios you can come up with.

Hey, i love the visuals of the game, but all the time since the first reveal of the game to last month the game was slughtered of being "too much QTE" "generic" and all that kind of stuff, that i find strange that last month all was good and awesome about this game.

I really like the visuals of it, i hope reviewers didn't take the short path and give em, like i said, a solid 7.

Bennettt2

The Order 1886 is for lovers of old fashioned single player experiences. For those who want to see strong efforts in storytelling-focused games make a comeback. It's a highly curated museum piece for old-timey, story driven videogames, and if you cherish having a collection of finely produced games, then that's the value of The Order in a nutshell. If you're excited for a strong new IP with endless possibilities and want to see RAD put out new iterations of this level of quality, then give them the nod. I already have.

This.

I must admit, I love the unapologetically hand-crafted stories of games like Life is Strange, Grim Fandango, and of course The Order 1886, with strong character arcs, story-tailored set pieces, and cleverly designed narrative motifs that grow in meaning as the story progresses.

Not a fan of the wishy washy stories, directed and diluted by player choice. E.g. Fallout 3

BiGBoSSMk23

Thanks for the impressions OP. Could you chime in how the combat arena's feel compared to say UC2? I know it is not as big as TLOU but does it give you the freedom of say a UC2?

It honestly feels more like Gears 1 in terms of level layout.

Less vertical traversal combat than an Uncharted for sure, although there are multi-tiered levels you can freely move about, although at the game's own discretion.

Azdoune

usually the difference between what was promised and what will be in the final game is the subject of frustration. In this case Rad always emphasized their desire to create a cinematic game. I'm glad to see that they seem to achieve their goal.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sorry, Rapier, I edited your post and am deleting relevant follow-ons. I get your joke but not everyone does.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Value is subjective.

And some people find more value in a f2p android game. Everyone evaluates these things differently. Unfortunately, when it comes to AAA first-party games, it seems like people who already know that they won't find value in them are insistent upon complaining that the game isn't to their tastes. It'd be like me going into a thread about a new RTS game (never got into the genre) and complaining. I just don't understand it.

EDIT: I'm probably contributing to another Derail. My bad. On-topic. I'm really interested in experiencing the level of detail that went into this world. Things like wood splintering when you shoot, things catching on fire (oh god, that thermite). The glass bottle gif and that slow-motion shotgun barrage got me all kinds of worked up.

16BitNova

As a fan of games with good immersion and story as my main reasons, I can not wait for this game. Always a supporter of new IPs with a vision to do something new and interesting. I will be picking this up day one and really hope it does well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've heard good things about the framerate in early sections of the game but I was wondering if performance holds up throughout.

Skele7on

Banned
The fact is that Metal Gear 4 was hounded on here and was a fantastic game.

I hope that The Order is the next great game that divides GAF

Looking forward to the 2015 GOTY awards :D

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds like what I thought it would be, a fun weekend shooter which I'll trade in the next week to get my money back.

Rapier, how's the sound in general ? Good weapon sounds, environment sounds etc ? I'll be playing this with my Sony headset :)

Valentus

The fact is that Metal Gear 4 was hounded on here and was a fantastic game.

I hope that The Order is the next great game that divides GAF

Looking forward to the 2015 GOTY awards :D

The hype that surrounded MSG4 during it's developement was insane back then.

The hype of this game during it's develepoment was nonexistent. Only this month the hype started to grow.

2 different cases.

ironcreed

Banned
The impressions are not good enough, it seems. Many still need a number slapped beside the actual thoughts on the experience.

meanspartan

Im thinking length will matter a lot for me. I dont mind no multiplayer, but I am not gonna drop $60 on a 5 hour experience, sorry. Ill pick it up at $30 or $40.

But at 10/12 hours, I think Im in for $60.

All this assuming the story is good. If the story is sub par, not much left to care for here.

i-Lo

Sorry I didn't get to this question sooner.

Character interaction, first and foremost is what will stand out to most. Plot kicks in secondly and late in the game as well as lore. It's a wee bit light on good ol' thick lore, to be honest.

Thanks mate.

tuxfool

Banned
That's great, but it doesn't make you a child if you think of value in different ways.

Don't know how anybody could defend his post lol

(also Rapier I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about the person I responded to. The children thing in the OP isn't harmful at all lol).

What makes you a child is the way you criticize and how you frame your comments. If you come across as sour grapes that this isn't the game for you and insist on belaboring the point, then you really don't look all that good.

meanspartan

The hype that surrounded MSG4 during it's developement was insane back then.

The hype of this game during it's develepoment was nonexistent. Only this month the hype started to grow.

2 different cases.

while its certainly explodes lately, this game has always been divisive I think.

duckroll

Cover is another curious aspect of the game. You can move in pressing circle, vault or get out of it by pressing X or simply walking away from it. You're able to move and fire while in cover, and depending on which side of the left stick you're pointing at, Galahad will pop out from the side, or up top. It gives the combat a more organic feel, rather than simply popping UP. Blind fire also works beautifully from many different poses.

I'm confused by this description. Maybe I'm not reading it right, but I don't see anything curious or different about that. It sounds exactly like every implementation of cover mechanics in a modern shooter. You press a button to snap into cover, you can vault over it or disengage, you can move along a cover if it's long enough and shoot while in it. You can walk away from cover. Depending on where your character is located on the cover you will either shoot above it, or on the left or right sides of it. You can blind fire from cover. These are all features which are familiar to anyone who plays cover shooters. So, what's new about this which got your curiosity in particular?

Top Bottom