• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

Mifune

Mehmber
Oh, sure. But you have to accept that 12 hours is as much of a long play as 6 hours is a short one, and the actual playtime is somewhere in-between. But The Order does have an amount of core content, from that start to the credits, that can be completed by a player in 5 and a half hours in (seemingly) their first run. Whether that's likely is heavily debatable, as is whether that 6 hours of 'non-core' gameplay is meaningful to most players.

Actually this isn't true since most of the playthroughs so far are bunched around the ten hour mark. Five hours is an extreme outlier so far, more so than the 13 hour one.

cool_dude

Banned
Randomly watched a segment of Part 4 on youtube:

There is a lot of clipping, especially when the main character jumps over railings. Also the shadows are way jaggy. And lots of "Mario running" animation at boundaries. Too much brown and grey too.

Chabbles

So whats the general consensus on this from the people who actually have it ?. Is this a cinematic game like UC2/TLoU or something else ?. Whats the gameplay to cutscene/qte ratio ?

Alienous

Do you actually know that?

how do you know the person who posted up the walkthrough hadn't played it all, beginning to end, the day before, then just started again with the record button pushed.

Normally if you want to attract the "walkthrough" crowd you do NOT want to be dying on screen, or getting lost, because you'll get flamed by 12 year olds in the comments and/or be stuck with a lot of editing. So it is helpful to already know the game pretty well.

He does die. And if we are to assume that he played through the game once before as prep then the player getting lost and not knowing where to go at points was feigned and his incentive to finish the game more quickly than the standard (to upload the footage) is irrelevant, as he could have uploaded the earlier run for that purpose.

It's just not likely, I'm afraid.

Actually this isn't true since most of the playthroughs so far are bunched around the ten hour mark. Five hours is an extreme outlier so far, more so than the 13 hour one.

Is that so? Which playthroughs? Feel free to PM me, this thread doesn't need to go off course.

If the cutscenes are extremely dense with interactive moments, the ability to skip probably wouldn't do much good. If the game often goes on for 30 seconds or a minute with no interactivity, then there's no excuse.

I guess that could be a valid reason. Doesn't make it any less painful.

But if those scenes are dense enough with "interactive moments" to the point that they enter David Cage level "interaction for interaction's sake" self-parody, I'd have to wonder if those scenes are worth having in the game (vs. making them a more seamless part of standard third person gameplay) or if they're even worth experiencing at all. But that's neither here nor there.

Can we please move the FUCK ON from this discussion about some random guy's playthrough in a thread about impressions of Fellow GAF members, all of whom have stated their playtime quite clearly.

It is like no one has fucking bothered to read the OP at all.

Fellow GAF member ReNeGaDe124 already shared his opinion, he got the plat as well.
It took me almost 10 hours to finish the game (from 12:45 from 22:30) on normal mode without aim assist. But I also took a lunch break of almost 30 minutes and another small break of 15 minutes. So that’s somewhere around 9 hours.

I got the first trophy after almost 2 hours of gameplay.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If the cutscenes are extremely dense with interactive moments, the ability to skip probably wouldn't do much good. If the game often goes on for 30 seconds or a minute with no interactivity, then there's no excuse.

Shit's gotta load max payne 3 style breh.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I want to avoid spoilers, but that's simply an untrue assessment based on a full viewing of the game.

How are you avoiding spoilers if you watched a full viewing of the game? And just because one user finished the game in that amount of time, doesn't mean that others or the majority will. Also, no one can be 100% certain that those users didn't edit their walk through.

Can't speak for you or anyone else but I would be shocked if I beat the game in five hours. I'm expecting at least 15 hours from beginning to the end credits. At worse, 10 hours but no way, 5 hours. Would be very surprised if I finish the game that fast.

Alienous

How are you avoiding spoilers if you watched a full viewing of the game? And just because one user finished the game in that amount of time, doesn't mean that others or the majority will. Also, no one can be 100% certain that those users didn't edit their walk through.

Can't speak for you or anyone else but I would be shocked if I beat the game in five hours. I'm expecting at least 15 hours from beginning to the end credits. At worse, 10 hours but no way, 5 hours. Would be very surprised if I finish the game that fast.

Avoid spoilers them for your sake, I mean.

And you can't say "5 hours, no way". It's there, you can watch it. It's a 5 and a half hour run.

Tainted

I just finished watching the complete playthrough on YT and all I can really say, is that you guys are really going to enjoy it. It's def one of the most gorgeous looking 3rd person shooters I have ever seen. The combat most reminded me of Uncharted which is most def a good thing imo....it's very tight.

The only reason I watched the vid is because at the moment I'm not in a financial position to buy video games and I just felt like kicking back and watching a beautiful (nextgen) game in action. Im sure by the time I get around to buying this game, I would have forgotten about it anyway (Story-wise)

I will look forward to reading impressions etc when it is released in a few days :)

FATALITY

Banned
That'll reduce the final playtime. He'll cut out chunks of his playthrough and replace it with a "So the trick to this section is ____, it took me ages". His walkthroughs are edited, unlike The Order one in question.

so the guy finished the order without dying? are u joking?

De_Legend

Banned

And you can't say "5 hours, no way". It's there, you can watch it. It's a 5 and a half hour run.

Sad for someone who planned to play the game...

But we get the point though. and the majority of people won't finish the game that quick anyways :)

Tagg9

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything. What are your guys' opinions on the aspect ratio after playing the game? Presumably you get used to the black bars pretty quick?

bwakh

Concluding remarks:

The Order 1886 is for lovers of old fashioned single player experiences. For those who want to see strong efforts in storytelling-focused games make a comeback. It's a highly curated museum piece for old-timey, story driven videogames, and if you cherish having a collection of finely produced games, then that's the value of The Order in a nutshell. If you're excited for a strong new IP with endless possibilities and want to see RAD put out new iterations of this level of quality, then give them the nod. I already have.

This gets me very excited

It's just not likely, I'm afraid.

I don't like wading into youtube, but, Are you talking about PlayMeThrough ?

the same company that put up a bioshock infinite walkthrough that lasts 3.2 hours (listed by howlongtobeat at 12 hours)
or a Spider-Man 2 walkthrough that lasts 4 hours (listed by howlongtobeat at 8 hours)

viveks86

Guys, seriously. Can we stop discussing the youtube footage here? Make a separate thread if you want. Or discuss it in the spoiler thread. I'm here to read impressions/criticism from people who have played the game. I'm sure there are many other people who want this as well. I'm so close to reporting everyone on both sides of this argument! Just… stahp! Please?

Mifune

Mehmber

The five hour playthrough is almost definitely an extreme outlier as far as playtime goes. One look at the various times of GAFers who completed the game should be evidence of that.

EDIT: sorry, viveks. You're right.

Alienous

I don't like wading into youtube, but, Are you talking about PlayMeThrough ?

the same company that put up a bioshock infinite walkthrough that lasts 3.2 hours (listed by howlongtobeat at 12 hours)
or a Spider-Man 2 walkthrough that lasts 4 hours (listed by howlongtobeat at 8 hours)

An incomplete playthrough and a direct run of an open world game.

Just forget I ever said anything. The man's a fraud, I guess, whatever.

nib95

Banned
Guys, seriously. Can we stop discussing the youtube footage here? Make a separate thread if you want. Or discuss it in the spoiler thread. I'm here to read impressions/criticism from people who have played the game. I'm sure there are many other people who want this as well. I'm so close to reporting everyone on both sides of this argument! Just… stahp! Please?

I'm down for that. This YouTube play through has been the bane of Order threads in the past few days. Then again, before that websites were already running false rumours about the games length, so it wasn't exactly new. Really hope we get more new impressions to the mix so we can move past this subject.

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything. What are your guys' opinions on the aspect ratio after playing the game? Presumably you get used to the black bars pretty quick?

i didn't like them, i already have a widescreen TV for cinematic purposes, games shouldn't need to add extra cinematic feel to it :p

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

I have avoided spoilers. Just watched the opening hour/chapter 1 and that's it. Just wanted to see the opening, how the gunplay was and the amount of QTE's. Other than that, been reading the impressions here by those who actually have the game.

Just because it's 5 1/2 hours for that guy doesn't mean that I will finish the game in the same amount of time. In fact, it's highly unlikely for me since I like to take my time, explore whatever can be explored, take in the sights and fully enjoy the game. I don't think that I have ever rushed through a game.

Either way, a few more days to go and best of all, im off next weekend including Friday. Yay me. :)

An incomplete playthrough and a direct run of an open world game.

Just forget I ever said anything. The man's a fraud, I guess, whatever.

Ok man, he can be your guiding light if you like ..

But personally, I think you should pin your argument to someone who is available to stand up for their play through, and defend it or explain how it relates to the average players experience.

Not someone who describes themselves as

"PlayMeThrough is bringing you Walkthroughs & Let's Plays of the newest top-notch console games.
Business Inquries / Publisher Inquiries / Developer Inquiries: playmethrough@gmail.com"

and apparently says nothing else, either on twitter or Facebook.

A bit tangential, but has anybody sat down and confirmed how accurate howlongtobeat is?

Way back when I criticised Shovel Knight for only lasting 3 hours to do pretty much everything. I then had a lot of people point to the website to suggest I was wrong and that it takes 6+ hours to beat. Indeed this is the time on the site, but there is a huge range of submissions from 2hours to 12 hours.

Since then I have been made to wonder if there is any dispute about the site, given it is user driven and carries all the usual biases that these things bring with them. Obviously it gives a rough guide, but is there much merit to quoting a single number as fact?

Dargor

He dies several times. That's my point.

Anyway, I just wanted to dismiss the invalidation of the 5 and a half hour run, it's as valid as the 12 hour ones.

Yeah, people are having a hard time understanding that just because you can finish it in 5 hours doesn't mean everyone will do the same. It heavily depends on the way you play the game.

KingJ2002

Thanks for your impressions OP.

I am more excited about it's release due to the strong narrative that you speak about... for about 2 generations we were promised CG level gaming... and i assumed strong storylines will come with those graphics... i believe games like uncharted & tomb raider have done so... but this is definitely next level stuff.

Considering we are in a time of expansions and multiplayer (co-op or head to head) it was a little disappointing that neither is available... but this game seems to go for a very immersive experience.

either way... i have it setup to come on my gamefly account so I will definitely get my chance to play at launch.

Dargor

A bit tangential, but has anybody sat down and confirmed how accurate howlongtobeat is?

Way back when I criticised Shovel Knight for only lasting 3 hours to do pretty much everything. I then had a lot of people point to the website to suggest I was wrong and that it takes 6+ hours to beat. Indeed this is the time on the site, but there is a huge range of submissions from 2hours to 12 hours.

Since then I have been made to wonder if there is any dispute about the site, given it is user driven and carries all the usual biases that these things bring with them.

As of right now it can take something from 5 to 12 hours to beat.

nib95

Banned
In the mean time, how will you guys be playing the game?

Difficulty - Easy / Medium / Hard
Aim assist - On / Off
Completionist - Seek out all extra stuff / Seek out most extra stuff / Seek out some extra stuff / Seek out no extra stuff
Ensure Platinum first play through - Yes / No

Me.

Difficulty - Hard
Aim assist - Off
Completionist - Seek out all extra stuff
Ensure Platinum first play through - No (will pick up any stragglers on second play through)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I really want to play this game, looks amazing, and I am all for strongly polished and well directed single player adventures :). Graphically wise, the game has always appeared excellent, but the characters' eyes always bothered me... They look technically super sound, but games like Infamous have eyes that look more alive and that seem to look less like they are focused on an invisible point in space which is super hard to achieve.

-MD-

Aim assist - On / Off
Completionist - Seek out all extra stuff / Seek out most extra stuff / Seek out some extra stuff / Seek out no extra stuff

Hard w/ aim assist off

I'll explore whatever I can but I'm not going to go after every collectable since I don't care about trophies.

either way... i have it setup to come on my gamefly account so I will definitely get my chance to play at launch.

OT but are Gamefly pretty good about getting people new games on/near release or is it still hit/miss? It was like a 25% chance to get a new game a few years back for me.

De_Legend

Banned

Aim assist - On / Off

Me.

Difficulty - Hard
Aim assist - Off
Ensure Platinum first play through - No (will pick up any stragglers on second play through)

Same as you, will try to seek out all the extra stuff, if I can't find them all I'll get back to it after I finish my first pt.

Aim assist - On / Off

Me.

Difficulty - Hard
Aim assist - Off
Difficulty - Hard.
Aim assist - Off
Camera bias - On
Will find all collectables.
Probably not get platinum on first playthrough.

so ya. Basically the exact same as you.
as soon as I finish, I will probably go right back to some good encounters to get some good action shots to share in the spoiler thread and OT.

viveks86

Aim assist - On / Off

Hard w/ aim assist off

I'll explore whatever I can but I'm not going to go after every collectable since I don't care about trophies.

Same here. As long as stuff is placed in interesting locales, chances are I'll pick them up and examine. If they are dropped in some dark corner under a broken desk, they'll probably stay there. Don't care about platinum. I don't have any so far (though I might end up getting a Driveclub platinum soon without even trying)

nib95

Banned
Hard w/ aim assist off

I'm not really collecting all the extras for the trophy myself either. I just want to read the interesting titbits and articles, see the cool art, modelling, shaders, materials etc. I feel like the readable and viewable objects in this game are some of the best rendered and realised out there, and as such deserve some attention. They've clearly put a lot of time in to them. I was sort of taken aback by how realistically light transfers through and on to the different types of paper for example.

Top Bottom